ADVERTISEMENT

And this is why…

Irishjohn68

All Star
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2003
…college football doesn’t need a 12 team playoff. TCU is killing UM. Will we see another blowout in the Peach Bowl. All of these semifinal games are blowouts.

• Haha
Reactions: Ndapolis1
…college football doesn’t need a 12 team playoff. TCU is killing UM. Will we see another blowout in the Peach Bowl. All of these semifinal games are blowouts.
yeah........this didn't age too well! Only the closest CFP weekend ever!

Reactions: Ndapolis1
I was open to 6 teams with the top 2 getting bye's
But 12?

Like the NBA and NHL that makes the regular season so much less important and means that really lousy teams can get in.
But for a break or two someone like Purdue would qualify; or other teams that have barely winning seasons

To me a Championship team should look like one all season; not mediocre and then suddenly get hot for a few weeks.

"Will we see another blowout in the Peach Bowl."

Yea, if OSU had any kind of pass defense, they could have blown out GA -- Stroud/Harrison were killing them

"Will we see another blowout in the Peach Bowl."

Yea, if OSU had any kind of pass defense, they could have blown out GA -- Stroud/Harrison were killing them
conversely if UGA had any kind of pass defense…yada yada yada

Of course there isn't a "need" for 12 teams, but CFB is now being run more like the NFL and a business. Money talks and having more teams means more money will be made. I'm shocked they didn't go to a 16 team playoff to be honest. I always felt 8 teams would be the sweet spot.

The biggest thing in my eyes is that a good team, if they lose, say a conference title to another really good team, could still potentially be in. In all honesty, I think Ohio State is as good as any team in the country (took UGA to the wire). If USC didn't lose the PAC12, they'd have been left out and we just watched USC get beat by Tulane of all teams.

Like it or not, the SEC is, under this format, always going to have at least two teams in the playoffs, and probably three most years. I don't like the SEC for the most part, but that conference is tough when bama, lsu, georgia, auburn and florida are strong. I always felt it was a tragedy that in some years, the loser of the SEC title game misses out when they're clearly one of the best teams in the country. Same can be said for any conference for that matter.

And hey... this helps ND is many ways as they now have another avenue into the playoffs.

I don't care if the playoff games are close or if they are blowouts. Four teams are plenty for a playoff. Twelve will cheapen the regular season.
The regular season now is garbage.
Maybe you like the SEC refusing to play above the Mason Dixon line post Halloween...
Or seeing 2 Pac teams beat up on the rest of the Pac sans a ND game...
Or the Big 12 having one free spot to play outside it's conference...
Or the big 10 only playing D1AA in their non conference weeks...

So in the end you only have assumptions. Too many teams terrified to play challenging regular season schedules in fear of dropping that second game and not making the playoff.

Thus the 4 team playoff is a Punch and Judy show.
A beauty competition driven by ESPN. Nothing more.

If CFB decided to have a playoff, and they did starting in 2014, then they need a real playoff! Not a popularity contest.
12 teams will allow flexibility in scheduling and teams won't be so terrified to schedule outside their cozy confines or comfy routines.

If you're a fan of sport then you know styles can make fights.

If you like a playoff then you'd welcome a real playoff.
If you don't then you can pine for going back to just voting a champion without even playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT