ADVERTISEMENT

And this is the difference or part of it

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
The Buckeyes get Kerry Coombs as defensive coordinator who has a oroven track record in college and the NFL. He is known as an awesome recruiter as a matter of fact a lot of the players on the current team were recruited by him.
We get somebody who has been a QB coach for three years and some sort of analyst for one year in the NFL who we used to refer to as turnover Tommy.

Who knows he could turn out pretty good or a complete bust, but my money would be on the proven veteran and ND cannot afford to miss on this one.

The Buckeyes get Kerry Coombs as defensive coordinator who has a oroven track record in college and the NFL. He is known as an awesome recruiter as a matter of fact a lot of the players on the current team were recruited by him.
We get somebody who has been a QB coach for three years and some sort of analyst for one year in the NFL who we used to refer to as turnover Tommy.

Who knows he could turn out pretty good or a complete bust, but my money would be on the proven veteran and ND cannot afford to miss on this one.

How does a coach become "proven"? So big time schools like ND should only hire proven coaches?

What is the point here?

"It was an exhaustive search."

I can see both sides of the debate. But, Tommy is the OC and I , as a fan, will support him. I hear about his potential but the potential should be realized first before having such an important position as an OC at a major program. Yes? No? There are four things we know going into Spring. 1) Tommy is the OC. B) Phil is not the back up QB. 3) Ian is the starting QB. 4) Tommy is going to work very hard at his new position. We will get total effort from the young OC. Tommy vs Venables. That's going to be interesting.

Nobody with a double digit IQ called him Tommy Turnover.

If Coombs is such a good hire... How many years experience does he have as a defensive coordinator?

If Coombs is such a good hire... How many years experience does he have as a defensive coordinator?
Coombs has 35 years of coaching exp.. two years in the NFL coaching a very good secondary. Six years at osu where he put five players in the NFL. He coached at Cincy where he held the title associate head coach. His secondary recorded 26 ints in one of his years. What coaching experience. I would take him in a heart beat

"Who knows he could turn out pretty good or a complete bust, but my money would be on the proven veteran and ND cannot afford to miss on this one."

When Clark Lea was promoted -- was he "proven"? How have the last 2 years been under him defensively?

Dude -- get your head out of your ass. Strip away "Tommy Rees" the player and get to know TOM REES the coach. I am sure his football mind is much more sophisticated than yours.

Reactions: iwish

I, and many others here, didn’t call him Turnover Tommy. Key board tough guys and jerks like you did.
Careful when using the word “we”.

Last edited:
Coombs has 35 years of coaching exp.. two years in the NFL coaching a very good secondary. Six years at osu where he put five players in the NFL. He coached at Cincy where he held the title associate head coach. His secondary recorded 26 ints in one of his years. What coaching experience. I would take him in a heart beat
In a round about way-He has no experience as a DC? There's a first time for everybody on a new job. It's kinda hard to knock 23-8 as our starting QB. That's the only stat that really matters. Tommy turn over my butt.

Last edited:
what did they call Steve Beuerlein who had 7 more interceptions in 200 less attempts ? Haters are gonna hate. no knowledge required.
Different era. There were simply more picks thrown back then. Montana threw 25 picks in his ND career.

Coombs is a great hire for OSU. his history of DB development is second to none.

"his history of DB development is second to none"

Had the opportunity to work at OSU spring and fall practices when I was working NCAA football (the used local NCAA officials at practices) -- one intense dude! and has a sense of humor as well.

In a round about way-He has no experience as a DC? There's a first time for everybody on a new job. It's kinda hard to knock 23-8 as our starting QB. That's the only stat that really matters. Tommy turn over my butt.
Greg Mattison will have strong input on the defensive side of the ball. This will not be a one man (Coombs) show in Columbus.

I, and many others here, didn’t call him Turnover Tommy. Key board tough guys and jerks like you did.
Careful when using the word “we”.

listen to your language used! pot calling kettle black!

It’s ludicrous to compare what a person did as a player to their abilities or potential as a coach. Whether this turns out to be a good or bad hire remains to be seen, and ultimately this hire will fall on Kelly.

Whether you are for or against the hire, we should all be hoping for Rees’ success. I’m not a fan of BK’s but I still want the program to win and achieve success, because the school and program are larger than any one person.

Reactions: twalsh and Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT