ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing stat comparison with Jarron Jones and Manti Te'o.

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
Jarron Jones had six Tackles for loss against Miami. Which is more than Manti Te'o had in all of his thirteen games during his Heisman campaign in 2012---5.5. Jarron also blocked a pass or two Saturday. I am going to really enjoy watching him in his final games with the Irish. The young man is a monster--huge arms and low body fat for a big man. Too bad he got injured before the season last year--we may well have beaten Clemson and Stanford with him and Sheldon Day dominating the line of scrimmage. I believe Jarron really upped his draft stock on Saturday. Go Irish !!

Reactions: Walruzz and Ara64
Jaron was a player with lots of potential but lacked consistency. BVG may have contributed here to his lack of consistency

Reactions: 88ND
Manti Te'o had 7 interceptions in his senior campaign, from his middle linebacker spot. He didn't have a lot of tackles for loss because in a 3-4 scheme, your middle linebackers are asked to drop into coverage on pass rushing downs as the underneath players in Cover 2 and Cover 4 looks. The tackles for loss cam from Tuitt, Shembo and KLM, while ND dropped 7 and 8 on most downs and rarely rushed Te'o.

A great comparison is Jones vs the guy who played the same position, Louis Nix. I would say that Nix was the more dominant run defender, but as a guy who demands a double team on every down, something Miami failed to adjust to until half time, Jones is an excellent interior pass rusher. He block destructs well and plants guys as the feet of the quarterback, stopping him from being able to step up in the pocket. I loved ND's adjustment in the 2nd half. When Miami doubled Jones on 3-man rushes with a guard center combination, ND started dropping 7 instead of 8 and sent Morgan on delayed blitzes, through the gaps in the pass protection created by the vacating guard, who was helping his center. Simple adjustment, but an excellent, easy to execute, way of putting Miami in a bind. You either play Jones heads up and pray he doesn't get to your QB, or you double him and leave a serious hole in your protection that can be exploited by a backer or a safety on an inside blitz... If you try to keep a back or a tight end in to protect and give you 6 man protection, you only have 4 players out on routes, and if ND doesn't blitz and they drop 8, ND essentially has each receiving threat in a defensive high low situation, with coverage underneath and over the top. So do you keep your back in to protect against what is going to be a 3-man rush probably 65% of the time, or do you send him out on a route to loosen up the coverage, double Jones in a 5-man protection, and take the chance that ND is an inside blitz on?

That was the trouble teams had in 2012 and while Te'o had some many interceptions. On third down ND dropped 7 and 8 often and let their front 3 and 4 attack. With Nix, Tuitt, KLM and Shembo coming, teams often left their back in to protect and in doing some, Notre Dame had only 4 threats to worry to worry about, with 7 and 8 man drops and ND would be in their nickel package on top of that, with an extra defensive back on the field. Because ND was so deep in their pre snap, off coverage, quarterbacks wouldn't take shots over the top, because it was extremely tough to get on top of ND's coverage. Conventional wisdom said the way to attack would be over top of the linebackers and underneath of the deep defenders. Te'o (like Brian Urlacher with the Bears) was excellent at getting a good, deep drop, and sinking right into the hook / curl zone and underneath slants and crossing patterns. He tightened the window in which quarterbacks could fit the ball into, and caused 7 mistakes that helped take ND to the title game.

Nothing new about that of course. If you can 3 and 4 and get pressure, it's nearly impossible for teams to consistently pass down the field. Especially if they need to keep their back in to keep their quarterback clean.

Reactions: wiu86 and Walruzz
I expected Jones to absolutely dominate this season, much like he did yesterday. He didn't early on, and I assumed he was nicked up; but his resurgence has coincided with the change away from BVG coaching and schemes. Hope this is the Jones we see the rest of the season as he can be special.

Manti Te'o had 7 interceptions in his senior campaign, from his middle linebacker spot. He didn't have a lot of tackles for loss because in a 3-4 scheme, your middle linebackers are asked to drop into coverage on pass rushing downs as the underneath players in Cover 2 and Cover 4 looks. The tackles for loss cam from Tuitt, Shembo and KLM, while ND dropped 7 and 8 on most downs and rarely rushed Te'o.

A great comparison is Jones vs the guy who played the same position, Louis Nix. I would say that Nix was the more dominant run defender, but as a guy who demands a double team on every down, something Miami failed to adjust to until half time, Jones is an excellent interior pass rusher. He block destructs well and plants guys as the feet of the quarterback, stopping him from being able to step up in the pocket. I loved ND's adjustment in the 2nd half. When Miami doubled Jones on 3-man rushes with a guard center combination, ND started dropping 7 instead of 8 and sent Morgan on delayed blitzes, through the gaps in the pass protection created by the vacating guard, who was helping his center. Simple adjustment, but an excellent, easy to execute, way of putting Miami in a bind. You either play Jones heads up and pray he doesn't get to your QB, or you double him and leave a serious hole in your protection that can be exploited by a backer or a safety on an inside blitz... If you try to keep a back or a tight end in to protect and give you 6 man protection, you only have 4 players out on routes, and if ND doesn't blitz and they drop 8, ND essentially has each receiving threat in a defensive high low situation, with coverage underneath and over the top. So do you keep your back in to protect against what is going to be a 3-man rush probably 65% of the time, or do you send him out on a route to loosen up the coverage, double Jones in a 5-man protection, and take the chance that ND is an inside blitz on?

That was the trouble teams had in 2012 and while Te'o had some many interceptions. On third down ND dropped 7 and 8 often and let their front 3 and 4 attack. With Nix, Tuitt, KLM and Shembo coming, teams often left their back in to protect and in doing some, Notre Dame had only 4 threats to worry to worry about, with 7 and 8 man drops and ND would be in their nickel package on top of that, with an extra defensive back on the field. Because ND was so deep in their pre snap, off coverage, quarterbacks wouldn't take shots over the top, because it was extremely tough to get on top of ND's coverage. Conventional wisdom said the way to attack would be over top of the linebackers and underneath of the deep defenders. Te'o (like Brian Urlacher with the Bears) was excellent at getting a good, deep drop, and sinking right into the hook / curl zone and underneath slants and crossing patterns. He tightened the window in which quarterbacks could fit the ball into, and caused 7 mistakes that helped take ND to the title game.

Nothing new about that of course. If you can 3 and 4 and get pressure, it's nearly impossible for teams to consistently pass down the field. Especially if they need to keep their back in to keep their quarterback clean.

So in other words, in your elongated opinion, 6 TFLS in one game is no big deal.. OK.

So in other words, in your elongated opinion, 6 TFLS in one game is no big deal.. OK.

That's not what I said at all. I said Jarron is more likely to get tackles for loss in a 3-4, cover 2 or cover 4 scheme where the inside linebackers (Manti) often drop...

6 TFL's is a monstrous game, and I'm excited for Jarron. He played just like that in 2014 at FSU. Winston's center was in his lap most of the game. The kid is finally healthy and is back on track for the NFL.

I just didn't get the comparison is all. The two positions have totally different jobs in the scheme. Jarron is doing his, so did Manti.

Be crusty all you want about it. I wasn't slighting either player.

Reactions: ND4Real
I expected Jones to absolutely dominate this season, much like he did yesterday. He didn't early on, and I assumed he was nicked up; but his resurgence has coincided with the change away from BVG coaching and schemes. Hope this is the Jones we see the rest of the season as he can be special.

Totally different technique in a 4-3 front. Jarron isn't a gap shooter, nor is Rochell. Jarron plays his best football when he is heads up on the center, can 2-gap and control at the point and bull rush the center, collapsing the pocket from the middle. He was being asked to slant and twist in the 4-3 look, to open lanes for blitzing linebackers. Moving laterally is not his strength.

His job is now simple, Attack the center and demand a double team. If they double, it opens a lane to blitz in, or creates a vacancy for one of the ends to attack down through... It's college. The KISS strategy always has and will continue to work.

If you watch an Alabama game, their 30 front, D-line is essentially boring. Very, Very, Very strong and sound, but boring. Block destruction, controlling gaps collapsing the pocket, inside out... Not a lot of games or lateral pass rush.

IIO...I can see and appreciate the differences as you describe them, but I am not astute enough to recognize this level of impact on Jone's performance. Rather than the 4-3 versus 3-4 distinctions you detail, I thought the greater adverse impact was the hit and hold approach advocated by BVG. Regardless, it is a pleasure to see the level of play that he exhibited yesterday.

IIO...I can see and appreciate the differences as you describe them, but I am not astute enough to recognize this level of impact on Jone's performance. Rather than the 4-3 versus 3-4 distinctions you detail, I thought the greater adverse impact was the hit and hold approach advocated by BVG. Regardless, it is a pleasure to see the level of play that he exhibited yesterday.

Lets face it, it's not just scheme. The kid has been working his ass off the past few weeks. I don't know if it's his confidence in his health, feeling the need to step up as a senior leader, or just getting sick-and-tired of losing, but effort level and production have skyrocketed and scheme is only half that battle... I'm completely with you that it's nice to see 2014 Jarron back. As someone who has spent his entire life around the game, I now enjoy the small details much more than the outcome. I like great individual performances. I love watching 11 going (especially on defens) execute the scheme flawlessly. I stopped honestly caring about wins and loses after my first few years coaching because I quickly learned that those a merely outcomes that are a product of hundreds of small details each week. I'm now much more concerned with the details, because whoever executes those better will get the result they are looking for more times than not.

That's why although Brian Kelly infuriates me at times, I also believe him when he says that as coaches they try not to focus on "the big picture", but rather the small, trivial, geeky details of the game... When you have quality coaches on both sides of the field, they all understand the game. Who coaches those small details better and puts their players in a position to execute best, wins. That's why Kelly beat Stoops in Norman in a game he shouldn't have won and it's why he lost to Tulsa and Duke in South Bend, in games he should have never lost.

Reactions: zonairish
And that's exactly why the ST play yesterday was beyond frustrating. Details!

And that's exactly why the ST play yesterday was beyond frustrating. Details!

I can't stand Booker. His tight ends suck and his special teams are highly undisciplined. It's not that his schemes suck, he actually does some pretty cool things, but his guys screw up the execution component far too ofen and that falls on he and Kelly,

Reactions: Telx1
as a harsh BK critic...I will say Morgan and Jones stepped up to the challenge and dictated the aggressiveness of the defense....albeit against a struggling Miami team who had no business climbing back into the game. ND caught a break with the bye week...and prepped, catching Miami at a good time....i.e. took advantage of the opportunity. All in all...a very necessary and decent win....stabilizing a rocky ship.

Jarron Jones had six Tackles for loss against Miami. Which is more than Manti Te'o had in all of his thirteen games during his Heisman campaign in 2012---5.5. Jarron also blocked a pass or two Saturday. I am going to really enjoy watching him in his final games with the Irish. The young man is a monster--huge arms and low body fat for a big man. Too bad he got injured before the season last year--we may well have beaten Clemson and Stanford with him and Sheldon Day dominating the line of scrimmage. I believe Jarron really upped his draft stock on Saturday. Go Irish !!
Seriously...stop. Miami is in the same spiral we were in.

The attention they put on Jones was nothing he made them pay for that but seriously what he did against a very lack luster line in not give a **** mode was not earth stopping
He had a nice game. that's all.

ND doean't have a lackluster line. They have 3 starters who will be NFL draft picks. They were playing in a system that didn't fit them. ND has more talent in Rochell, Jones and Tillery than alot of D-lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT