ADVERTISEMENT

All ACC schedule in 2020?

Leahylads

Rockne's Water Boy
Nov 21, 2018
If all Power 5 conf go to a ten game conf only schedule will the ACC try to force ND to permanently join the ACC conf or get left out in football?
Would you rather join the ACC permanently to play this year or cancel the season and hope next year things are back to normal?
Ideally the ACC would allow ND to play ten games this season only but if they have the leverage now why wouldn't they use it to get ND football to join the ACC permanently.

Cancel the season across the board.

the ACC reported it would accommodate ND for 2020 without forcing full time membership.

Reactions: theskibro
The contract between ND and the ACC guarantees ND five ACC games a year. The ACC won't break the agreement because they want ND in their conference. It's in the ACC best interest to keep ND happy or loose them completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick4
I doubt there will be a season... this s-- his raging out of control IN AMERICA...

That said, join the ACC.

I'm a 63 year old alum who has always loved our independence, but as much as I hate to say it, college football landscape has changed so much over the years that I am now of the opinion that it is time to join the ACC. It'll happen sooner or later anyway. Just don't see the benefits of independence that we once had. All things must pass

I'm a 63 year old alum who has always loved our independence, but as much as I hate to say it, college football landscape has changed so much over the years that I am now of the opinion that it is time to join the ACC. It'll happen sooner or later anyway. Just don't see the benefits of independence that we once had. All things must pass
Agreed. We always play 2 bogus teams every year plus freakin Navy. We could use the weak ACC teams as the bogus games and schedule USC, 2 Big 10 teams, and 1 SEC team (not Vanderbilt) each season out of conference. Now if we were independant and were to replace the bogus teams with real contenders I would go for that but there has been a change and the conference is very important to today's college football landscape and playoff credibility.

Smart thing for the ACC to do would be let ND be a one year type member. Allow them the chance to play in the ACC championship as well as their finals have been weak lately.
Why is that smart? ACC has 14 members without ND. ND is a great program, but getting access to the champ game without full membership requires a vote from the members

I'm also an alum of your age and I disagree. Being independent allows ND to call its own shots without being beholden to a bunch of other schools, most of which are not quality football programs. Joining the ACC will leave ND to play an ACC schedule, Navy, Stanford and USC every year with essentially no variety. No thanks.

The ACC needs Notre Dame more than Notre Dame needs the ACC.
Some will say ND needs the ACC more then they need us. The only upside I see for ND football is we get in on some bowl games we might otherwise not get. If that's not important then ND should have stayed in the Big East and have a true independent schedule.

The ACC could put in a provision just for this year that if ND has a better record than the second best team in the ACC regular season the Irish play in the championship. This would not affect their current divisions. ND might get two shots at Clemson.

Looking at the games we will have to fill 5 spots vacated by Arkansas, western Michigan, USC, Stanford, Navy and Wisconsin.

So not counting the ACC games we are already slated to play, it’s a real possibility we play Florida State, North Carolina and Miami and Syracuse weeks 1-4. I only glanced over it real quick but the slots seem to match up and make sense.

I’d argue that would actually be tougher overall than our current schedule.

Reactions: Red Hills Nole
If all Power 5 conf go to a ten game conf only schedule will the ACC try to force ND to permanently join the ACC conf or get left out in football?
Would you rather join the ACC permanently to play this year or cancel the season and hope next year things are back to normal?
Ideally the ACC would allow ND to play ten games this season only but if they have the leverage now why wouldn't they use it to get ND football to join the ACC permanently.
Indy all the way.

This P5 nonsense and every MUST join something in order to survive.

BS.

ND is s brand larger than any one conference including all the teams.

Yes the rep really is that big.

Having said that ND MUST start winning at the elite level again. It won't take much. Just some huge post season wins and the fire will reignite.

But even as to now without a title since 88 and being a premier since Holtz...the rep itself is it's own massive brand. Notre Dame Football is just as large as SEC football and it's teams. BIG10 and it's teams.

While the football play as of late is pathetic on the grand stage it truly is amazing the lore still surrounding the program.

Reactions: VTND
Why is that smart? ACC has 14 members without ND. ND is a great program, but getting access to the champ game without full membership requires a vote from the members
It would be smart in my opinion as the ACC is weak outside of Clemson..... it would be intriguing and bring some hype to the conference.

But in all reality.... I dont see a season happening.

The ACC could put in a provision just for this year that if ND has a better record than the second best team in the ACC regular season the Irish play in the championship. This would not affect their current divisions. ND might get two shots at Clemson.
ND cannot have access to the ACC champ game unless it's a football member of the conference. Being a member of the ACC for football will make ND a member of the conference in totality. Language in the current ACC contract that binds all members requires that all TV revenue be shared equally. And all bowl revenue as well. It cannot be amended without a vote of the University Presidents. It takes more than a majority vote. (Trust me...I have been through all of this since FSU joined in 1992). Unless the Presidents agree to change the contract, all games between ND and the ACC, even if there are ten of them, will be OOC games.

It takes months to negotiate a new member to any conference. It would take longer than that if a member has its own TV contract. Let's lay this out. Clemson is at ND this year. ND owns all the TV rights to that game. You want ND to keep all that revenue...but have it count as a conference game and get access to the champ game...in direct violation of the current ACC contract? Are you listening to yourselves? I understand that Swofford wants to work with ND, but he has to manage the rest of the ACC.

People say that the ACC needs ND more than ND needs the ACC. Hmmmm. There is no doubt that Swofford's expansion plans to get BC and Syracuse (and Pitt) into the ACC was to drive ND out of its Big East contract and fully join the ACC. It didn't work. If ND drops its relationship with the ACC, expect to see a movement by the football powers of the ACC to shrink the conference and dump the northern schools. Swofford already announced his retirement. Dan Radakovich (former GT AD and current Clemson AD) is in the lead to replace him.

Reactions: gpburdell17
Some other posters here obviously think otherwise, but I could care less about playing in the ACC championship game. The idea does nothing for me.
I would hold that thought until after the playoff rules for 2020 are changed. Might go to 8 games. Big Ten may push for auto entry to conference winners

I understand I'm alone here, but I was really looking forward to the Arkansas game. First time meeting between the programs in football. First time visit by the Arkansas fans to our campus. Getting a chance to meet and greet some of these fans. What a shame this all is. I'm sure they are disappointed too.

Reactions: sluggo69
I would hold that thought until after the playoff rules for 2020 are changed. Might go to 8 games. Big Ten may push for auto entry to conference winners

And the earth might stop spinning on its axis. I am absolutely opposed to automatic bids for conference champs.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
And the earth might stop spinning on its axis. I am absolutely opposed to automatic bids for conference champs.
That's fine. You are not alone. But we never had a regular season based solely on conference games. As a reminder, the new and current Big Ten commissioner spent over 20 years in the NFL. None in college administration. A playoff committee is foreign to him. He is Delany's present to college football. The Big Ten intends to drive the college football bus this year...and perhaps beyond. As far as ND playing more ACC games this year, Duke Coach Cutcliffe says no way without revenue sharing from ND. "There is no free ride."

Lots of issues that were never fully resolved always bubble up during a crisis.

And why would the ACC football schools agree to that?

If the P5 agrees to go to 8 teams in the playoff, I think you can be assured that one of the stipulations will be that the five conf champs get automatic bids. That would be one of the main motivations to expanding the playoff.

Reactions: 88ND
2019 ACC championship game had the lowest TV rating for all P5 championship games. ND automatically changes that and the ACC is smart enough to adapt for whatever they can get from ND even if it is just for one year. Too bad the Noles have no team worth watching anymore. LOL

That's fine. You are not alone. But we never had a regular season based solely on conference games. As a reminder, the new and current Big Ten commissioner spent over 20 years in the NFL. None in college administration. A playoff committee is foreign to him. He is Delany's present to college football. The Big Ten intends to drive the college football bus this year...and perhaps beyond. As far as ND playing more ACC games this year, Duke Coach Cutcliffe says no way without revenue sharing from ND. "There is no free ride."

Lots of issues that were never fully resolved always bubble up during a crisis.

Jim Delany couldn't force ND to join the Big 10. I don't know why we should be concerned that Kevin Warren will be able to force ND to do what it doesn't want to do. I frankly don't know why it would benefit the Big 10 for ND to join the ACC, as opposed to remaining independent.
As for the Big 10 and Warren "driving the bus," maybe the conference should win an NC or at least play for one before they start trying to throw their weight around. At this particular juncture in time, the SEC is driving the bus, no matter what the Big 10 may want.

ND cannot have access to the ACC champ game unless it's a football member of the conference. Being a member of the ACC for football will make ND a member of the conference in totality. Language in the current ACC contract that binds all members requires that all TV revenue be shared equally. And all bowl revenue as well. It cannot be amended without a vote of the University Presidents. It takes more than a majority vote. (Trust me...I have been through all of this since FSU joined in 1992). Unless the Presidents agree to change the contract, all games between ND and the ACC, even if there are ten of them, will be OOC games.

It takes months to negotiate a new member to any conference. It would take longer than that if a member has its own TV contract. Let's lay this out. Clemson is at ND this year. ND owns all the TV rights to that game. You want ND to keep all that revenue...but have it count as a conference game and get access to the champ game...in direct violation of the current ACC contract? Are you listening to yourselves? I understand that Swofford wants to work with ND, but he has to manage the rest of the ACC.

People say that the ACC needs ND more than ND needs the ACC. Hmmmm. There is no doubt that Swofford's expansion plans to get BC and Syracuse (and Pitt) into the ACC was to drive ND out of its Big East contract and fully join the ACC. It didn't work. If ND drops its relationship with the ACC, expect to see a movement by the football powers of the ACC to shrink the conference and dump the northern schools. Swofford already announced his retirement. Dan Radakovich (former GT AD and current Clemson AD) is in the lead to replace him.
please god, don't permit another commish with ties to any other acc school..We gave had enough of that with Swofford and his ties to Tarhole tech....

Reactions: tbonesays
Jim Delany couldn't force ND to join the Big 10. I don't know why we should be concerned that Kevin Warren will be able to force ND to do what it doesn't want to do. I frankly don't know why it would benefit the Big 10 for ND to join the ACC, as opposed to remaining independent.
As for the Big 10 and Warren "driving the bus," maybe the conference should win an NC or at least play for one before they start trying to throw their weight around. At this particular juncture in time, the SEC is driving the bus, no matter what the Big 10 may want.
Big Ten makes more money than the SEC, and frankly, how can it be denied that they are leading the rest of college football to follow their lead? I didn't mean to imply that Kevin Warren can force ND to do anything. I just don't think they care anymore. Delany never wanted ND in the ACC for football purposes; he bought Rutgers and MD to drive a wedge through the ACC footprint. After ND joined the B10 for hockey, it just seemed that the Irish and that conference found a way to co-exist.

The ACC has systemic issues. The Tobacco Road in bred leadership - with Swofford as their chosen leader - has prevented the conference from growing with football. There are too many members that lack the football culture to make the investment that is necessary. My hope was that ND would join the ACC to change the ACC...not the other way around. Now Swofford is retiring as of June1. Jack Swarbrick's name has come up as a possible replacement. I am sure that that is just the media making a list of qualified individuals.

The ACC should split between football and all other sports. Does the country need 65 members in the Power 5? Who knows. But this pandemic can change everything - especially if football is not played in fall. I see the possibility of the ACC splitting up. I have read predictions wilder than that. Several industries in this country will never be the same, and college football is no different.

The Big Ten has reduced the size of the universe that it has to deal with. They created their own bubble. The rest of college football is not on their radar screen. It's a smart move. The PAC 12 will do the same. The Big Ten might be the only conference that plays in fall if things don't improve by Labor Day. ND has more on its plate than just 2020. Frankly, so does everyone else.

Big Ten makes more money than the SEC, and frankly, how can it be denied that they are leading the rest of college football to follow their lead? I didn't mean to imply that Kevin Warren can force ND to do anything. I just don't think they care anymore. Delany never wanted ND in the ACC for football purposes; he bought Rutgers and MD to drive a wedge through the ACC footprint. After ND joined the B10 for hockey, it just seemed that the Irish and that conference found a way to co-exist.

Absolutely and patently false. Delany did everything he could to get ND to join the Big 10. The entire reason that he got Rutgers and Maryland to join the Big 10 was to try to put the squeeze on ND. It had zero to do with the ACC.

Absolutely and patently false. Delany did everything he could to get ND to join the Big 10. The entire reason that he got Rutgers and Maryland to join the Big 10 was to try to put the squeeze on ND. It had zero to do with the ACC.
The acrimonious tone is not needed. If you want to own the history of the ND relationship with the Big Ten, that is fine. Delany failed to get ND into the Big Ten, and he got pissy and decided to hurt the ACC out of spite. But the ACC respects ND for their relationship between academics and sports. It was a former ND AD that got FSU into the ACC, and his vision is missed. The ND relationship with the ACC for all non football sports is very strong, and hopefully we can move forward in football....without ND losing its well deserved national stature. Define your terms. It does the ACC no good to diminish the historic value of ND.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
The acrimonious tone is not needed. If you want to own the history of the ND relationship with the Big Ten, that is fine. Delany failed to get ND into the Big Ten, and he got pissy and decided to hurt the ACC out of spite. But the ACC respects ND for their relationship between academics and sports. It was a former ND AD that got FSU into the ACC, and his vision is missed. The ND relationship with the ACC for all non football sports is very strong, and hopefully we can move forward in football....without ND losing its well deserved national stature. Define your terms. It does the ACC no good to diminish the historic value of ND.

Not acrimonious at all. Delany used every wile he could to force ND to join the Big 10. It was a very sore spot for a lot of us. I have no problem with the ACC. I don't want ND to join the conference for football, but the ACC schools are, by and large, a lot more like ND than the Big 10 schools are. I have attended a number of games at ACC schools. Their fans are better than Big 10 fans, too.

Stay independent. I know it’s not popular, but don’t lose our identity under any circumstances
In 1968, the VAST majority of Notre Dame fans were foaming at the mouth saying that if the Irish were to ever play in bowls, that ND foitball would lose its identity and become nothing.

Is there a single Notre Dame fan alive stupid enough to assert that those anti-bowl ND fans of 1968 were correct?

In 1968, the VAST majority of Notre Dame fans were foaming at the mouth saying that if the Irish were to ever play in bowls, that ND foitball would lose its identity and become nothing.

Is there a single Notre Dame fan alive stupid enough to assert that those anti-bowl ND fans of 1968 were correct?
Well, you’re in the right place to find them.
Target rich environment here.

Reactions: NDSMC78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT