Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Hansen

Posts Like A Champion
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
In case you missed my Friday column —

Inside the next steps of Marcus Freeman's evolution as a head coach at ND

— there's a section that covers the defensive coordinator search, including our reporting that Al Golden has been offered the job and that the current Cincinnati Bengals linebackers coach wouldn't make a final decision until after the Super Bowl.

Now that the Super Bowl is over, nothing's changed concerning that trajectory. There is not firm timetable, but it's reasonable to assume this can be finished this week. It's important that the finer points get discussed at length, because this is not an ordinary defensive coordinator's job.

The new coordinator inherits his entire defensive staff. He can't tear up the defensive playbook. The head coach will have his hands in things. And yet there's a lot to like — such as a really strong roster of players — and lots of reasons why this should be a fit.

Beyond that, I'd expect the next update to be the story that reveals Golden as the next defensive coordinator/linebackers coach ... followed by more waiting until the official graphic and the official announcement are made.

I've shared what I know. For details beyond that, I either don't have confirmation on, I'm not at liberty to share, or they haven't happened yet and my psychic powers are very limited. If Golden and ND can't work out the final details, we'll be sure to keep you in the loop, but I don't anticipate that happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News