ADVERTISEMENT

Aggressive D to stop the Run

domer3001

All Star
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
I’m no college FB coach or Coordinator but its kind of common FB Knowledge that when face with an aggressive D committed to stop the run that Draws, Screens and misdirection are the best plays to run. Has Freeman or Reese ever thought of using them? I think the one end around mis direction yesterday went for big yards.

I’m no college FB coach or Coordinator but its kind of common FB Knowledge that when face with an aggressive D committed to stop the run that Draws, Screens and misdirection are the best plays to run. Has Freeman or Reese ever thought of using them? I think the one end around mis direction yesterday went for big yards.
I was screaming this all damn game.

Reactions: domer3001
Marshall’s HC after game said game plan was to attack middle of our oline and pressure Buchner up middle and stop middle runs….
We ran a few read options with Buchner for all 5+ yard gains but made next to no adjustments after osu exposed our middle, Rees left Buchner in the pocket all game. I can’t believe how stupid our coaching staff is

we could have done plays with pulling linemen and pitches outside with tyree, screens, middle wr crossers, etc… yet we did none

They seem so afraid to lose. Just turn it lose. Your 0-2. You got amazing young talent. Get them on the field. Spread people out. Short and quick passes. A few down field shots. This 3 yards on two off tackle runs and an out to Mayer is old.

My best guess is that ND simply can't string plays together. It's not about subtle tactical shifts, it's about basic execution. Fortunately we have an elite pass-catching TE who can bail out our passing game, but beyond Mayer it seems like there is no passing game. Or at least not a serviceably reliable one. And certainly not a prolific one.

Is that Buchner's fault? I don't know, I wouldn't think so. I'd be much more inclined to think our struggles are more holistic.

If I was Rees and I was scrambling to come up with some philosophical shift to jump-start things, I would abandon the run and start leading with the pass, which is what ND has always done, and let it open up the running game. Just like we did under BK. And lean on what you know and what works.

But ultimately it's not hard to visualize this offense struggling to consistently move the chains, and march up the field, regardless of the particular strategic/tactical approach.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT