ADVERTISEMENT

A note about Harry Hiestand.....

Bryan Driskell

Football Analyst
Apr 19, 2015
Granger, IN
This was posted in another thread by @cwn_a_importerplus.com, who is the father of Quenton Nelson. I wanted to include it here because, well, it was just too good not to post.

Enjoy.

"Thought I was done posting, but I really felt compelled to say that despite the coaching and player departures, Notre Dame will continue to build upon the foundation that is now in place and has a TON of talent to win that Natty.

Just some parting thoughts on HH

HH did indeed call all his O Lineman and reassure them because that is the type of man that he is. I know this was a gut wrenching decision for him to make mostly because of the young men he would have to leave behind. As tough as Harry Hiestand is on his players on the field, his genuine love and concern for them off of the field is even greater. Harry was much about holding "his guys" accountable" as aspiring young adults, as he was making them the very best offensive lineman they could be. He challenged and demanded them to be the very best versions of themselves on and off of the field, every single day.

When it comes to coaching O Line scheme and technique, no one can argue with Coach Hiestand's results. That said, Harry would probably be the first one to tell you that there are other O line coaches out there that can teach the X's and O's as well as he can. But in my mind, it will be the unique culture he created within his group of players that will be the most difficult to replace.

Two months into his ND career, Q calls me to tell me he is both confused and amazed by the fact that the players he is competing the hardest against for playing time (McGlinchey, Elmer, Bivin) are the very same guys that are working with him and helping him out the most, AND that the older guys (Martin, Stanley, Harrell) were treating him like he was the next man in... not some lowly freshman. Every one of Harry's guys want to play, but every one is there encouraging and cheering on one another, Starter or not, they are a band of brothers that has one another's backs at all times.

Listen to his players respond when asked what makes HH special and to a man you will hear "he brings it every day" His guys are expected to be the first ones at practice and they are always the last to leave. Over thirty years of coaching and Harry shows up in the O Line room and on the field like it is his very first every day. If you have ever coached, winning or losing, football seasons are long and THIS is not an easy thing to do. And once again his guys will tell you, "when you see him do this, you feel as though, as a player, you need to do the very same thing".

These are just two examples of an O Line culture that will be as difficult to replace as it is to create however, I can also tell you with 100% certainty that these unique attributes are deeply rooted in the hearts and minds of Alex Bars, Sam Mustipher and all of "Harry's guys" who will continue to enforce and pay them forward whether Harry is there or not.

HH hated to recruit...ironic because he was so very good at it. Recruiting put him center stage and in the spotlight, two places he is not particularly fond of being. Perhaps the only thing he despised more were Media Days. However, Harry Hiestand's greatest strength is JUST BEING HARRY HIESTAND. His candor and passion for what he does throws such a large shadow over however uncomfortable he might be. Just ask any recruit or media member and they will tell you Harry was the best thing that ever graced their living room, or that he was by far the best interview of the day.

In March of Quenton's Junior year, Q had over 30 offers and none were from ND who already had a strong stable of upper class O lineman, not to mention an extremely talented class of five recruits the year before. Boston College (lack of depth) and Penn State (sanctions) were close to home and offered Q immediate playing time. We decided to stop by ND after we had been to Ohio State and Northwestern only because we were in the neighborhood.

Unlike our other visits, this was an unceremonious arrival. After explaining to a few people who we were, we were introduced to this guy Harry Hiestand who as it turned out had only received Q's Sophomore film from the area recruiter. He took us up into his office for what can only be described as straight forward conversations, and a long,passionate interactive film session in which I could see Q and Harry bonding together before my eyes. The next day, we witnessed a loud, demonstrative Harry Hiestand practice filled with expletives before finally getting to meet Coach Kelly later that afternoon. Both the film and the practice were further examples of HARRY HIESTAND JUST BEING HARRY HIESTAND. I can assure you he did not change a thing because there was a recruit and his parents on the sidelines. We had about 15 minutes of pleasant chit chat with BK before he offered Q a scholarship to come and play for Notre Dame. There was no sales pitch, no "we really want you" no nothing!

On the long drive back to NJ we discussed Fitzy's Triangle of Excellence, all of the Championship Rings that Urban had Quenton put on every one of his fingers, and the immediate playing time Q would definitely receive at BC and Penn State. But most of the conversation on that car trip centered around Harry Hiestand. Although the only thing he had offered Q was "the opportunity to compete" and perhaps a Guinness World's record for use of the F word in 1 hour and forty five minutes, Q felt fairly certain he had found the guy he wanted to play for. Subsequent in home visits confirmed in Quenton's mind that "Harry was the man".

After four years at this magical place, I thank God Q has been surrounded by high character kids who desperately want to win a National Championship, but still think "its cool to study" for the inevitable day when football goes away. I thank every teacher, coach, and trainer, all the way UP to the equipment staff that puts the shine those golden helmets that fly out of the tunnel every Fall Saturday in South Bend. Personally, I am most grateful for the parents of these "right kind of guys" and the friendships that will last me for the rest of my life. Above all, in my wildest dreams, I could not ever imagine Q in anything other than Blue and Gold.

As I write this, I realize that Q did not choose the closest place, the quickest playing time, the rings or even the 4 vs.40. In fact, in this final analysis, he did not really even really choose Notre Dame. Quenton chose Harry Hiestand and that has made all of the difference."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News