ADVERTISEMENT

A Lot of Good Things and a Few Mistakes

Rich Starkey

All Star
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2013
Ohio
Sometimes you have to give the other team a little credit, no matter who the opponent is. Navy did a nice job of mixing up it's defense early on, and ND didn't seem to have an answer when they dropped 8. Much like teams use to do when Tommy Rees was behind center, defensive coordinators are treating Coan the same way with his inability to tuck it and run. It wasn't until the 3rd series that he finally connected with Deion Colzie for a nice 31 yard reception. I'll give Navy credit and then ND for righting the ship.

You hear coaches always preaching about discipline, and to just do "Your" job, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Navy had 2 big plays on offense, and both were a result of a lack of discipline, and not doing "Your" job. People wonder why the great athlete can't seem to get on the field enough, while coaches are busy counting the mistakes on film after the game. I'm going to pin the reverse on Isaiah Pryor. He has to stay home and watch for the reverse. We have 10 guys chasing the ball, and after a slight hesitation he decided to be number 11, and then boom. The other was a simple, who has the QB and who has the pitch guy. Botelho, who was in great position to handle the pitch guy, got too anxious and left him for the QB. Take those 2 plays for 50 yards out of the game, and Navy ends up with 116 yards on the ground.
Botelho looks pretty awesome out there. His speed really surprised me when he was chasing down the QB from the backside on an option play. I love the guy, and he has everything you want to be a legitimate playmaker, but he needs to get rid of these lapses where he's not playing within the defense - this is what's keeping him off the field.

Other than the 7 penalties for 75 yards, and what I mentioned above, ND played a very solid game against a disciplined opponent.

Lot's of good things, and I'll start with the O line. They are blocking the right people. That's the first thing I look at, and on the 2 sacks that happened on the safety blitz, one was on Kyree, and the other was when we were in an empty backfield and had no one to block him coming off the edge - good call by Navy.
The leading tackler on the day? That's right, Kurt Hinish and his 10 led the way, and he's the runaway winner of defensive MVP. You gotta stop the dive, and he and the other DT's did a great job.

Need to give shout out's to Jack Kiser who did a nice job and handled his new role real well. JD Bertrand who played another solid game and had 9 tackles, and it was JD who should get some credit for the safety as he knifed his way in and had the QB around the ankle.
Does Xavier Watts look like he can play some defense? Let's please find him a position where he can start contributing a little more.

Jack Coan played another solid game. 23-29 for 269 yards is pretty good, but he's gotten into a groove of putting the ball on the money where our receiver's can run with it after the catch. Kevin Austin had the game that most of us knew he was capable of.
I'm going to save Logan Diggs for last because I think he deserves a little bit more attention. In high school I knew he had the power and good speed, but this true freshman is playing like a senior RB who's had a few hundred carries. I love his patience, but what I never noticed in high school was his ability to accelerate once he found a seam. I'm sure his coach will nit-pick with some things, but I've been impressed with him so far. Give him an off-season in the weight room, and much like Josh Adams really increased his natural power, Diggs will too. I think Diggs will be a very good college back next year.

Wishing Avery all the best, and hoping that Hamilton suits up this week.

I'm at a point where I say just get another win, and let things sort out ahead of you, and that was the case again yesterday. GO IRISH!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News