ADVERTISEMENT

A College Football Super League?

fedman

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2002

This article jumps out at me because it is written by Ross Dellenger. Dellenger has been spot on with his realignment stories and is not one of those guys who throws stuff against the wall to see if it sticks. From the article:

Spearheaded by former Disney executives-turned-investment professionals, Project Rudy is a super league-esque concept — separate and more simplified than the one made public last week — that incorporates football programs of the four power conferences in a 70-team structure. The model preserves the four power conferences, expands the postseason, overhauls scheduling, tiers revenue distribution and, most importantly, infuses as much as $9 billion of private capital cash into the system.
I also note that, according to the article - the architects of Project Rudy successfully recruited to join their team one of the most respected people within the college space: former Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick. It is a stunning move for someone who just six months ago sat on the College Football Playoff governing committee as one of the most powerful decision-makers in the industry.

I have serious doubts that this idea will have any legs. The key is the BIG10/SEC, and the article notes that the BIG10/SEC are having joint meetings this week. I think that the BIG10/SEC are well aware that they are the powers in charge of college football. I don't think that they have any desire to share their riches with teams in a 70 school Super League.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.