ADVERTISEMENT

Football 3 quick OL thoughts

Tim Hyde

Football Guy
Aug 18, 2021
Everyone is wondering what is going on with the Notre Dame Offensive Line in these first two games. I think we have to first look over the past recruiting classes, and you will see some major misses that has led to the issues this season.

1. Coach Hiestand last class in 2017 produced 2 NFL draft picks in Hainsey and Banks. Lugg has been a starter along with Gibbons who starts for FSU. By the way is Cain Madden really better than Gibbons? From 2017 to 2020 3 of the 4 OL classes had 4 signees, and in 2020 they only signed 2? Finally in 2021 ND signed an actual OL group meaning 5 players. Had ND signed 5 each class that would have given ND 6 more linemen to develop, build more depth, and even find another Offensive Tackle for this season.

2. I am not looking over the 2021 class for this project, as in normal years Freshman Offensive Lineman are not expected to be needed right away. Taking that thought the classes from 2017-2020 has produced 4 transfers and misses. Gibbons transfers and I think it is safe to say he would play on this years team just like he played when needed in 2020. The 3 glaring misses are from 2018 Luke Jones, Cole Mabry and 2019 John Olmstead. Mabry and Olmstead were both 6'6 and expected to be future Offensive Tackles. That leaves Coach Kelly and Quinn with Patterson, Dirksen, Correll, Carroll, Kristofic, Baker and Carmody. You are always going to have misses in recruiting, but with Offensive Line you always need bodies, and 1 class with only 2 signees sure does hurt the depth chart in 2021. Not to mention ND opens up in Columbus, Ohio next season with no Patterson, Lugg, Madden.

3. Did Coach Quinn build up his depth chart enough knowing the 2021 season would be missing 4 starters? Those 4 starters played together from 2018-2020, producing a 33-5 record along with 2 spots in the Final 4, and 3 NFL draftees. Does this answer why they took Cain Madden, as they did not think Dirksen and Kristofic were guys to play possibly? If that is the case they should have signed more than than 2 linemen in 2020. Also where is Rocco Spindler? He was a main player in the Spring, and all of a sudden in 2 games he cannot get 1 snap? Madden has been such a hit and miss on more blocks this year than I can count, so why not think ahead by getting Spindler, Dirksen, Kristoic some playing time inside.

Do not worry I did not forget about the play at Left Tackle, as that post is coming soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News