stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Will be on the Irish roster next year:

Austin
Jordan
Colzie

Add -- Lenzy and/or Watts for speed...
Throw in -- Mayer, Baumann, Berrong at TE U...
Keep 'em on the farm for one more year -- Tommy Tremble... our swiss army man

That is a championship caliber group of receivers, right?

Now if we can find THE guy to throw to them! (Question: Does Clark have a better arm than Ian?)

Reactions: Golson5
Found this on Clark (who was recruited hard by Dabo.)

The 6-2, 212-pound rising sophomore has impressive arm talent. His arm is strong and despite having a long release, he has a fast arm and gets the ball out quickly. Even at a young age there isn’t a throw he can’t make, and the ball explodes out of his hand.

Clark is also a quality athlete, possessing the foot quickness and speed to maneuver with ease in the pocket, but also the size and athletic skills to be an effective runner, both on scrambles and designed runs.

Reactions: Golson5
Drew, Brendon or Tyler......they should all be pretty excited

pyne will be the successor

and he is technically sound - very accurate

don't forget Keys and Wilkins. certainly not pushovers.
Not pushovers but definitely from a different aisle in the recruiting store. They will have to work hard to earn their spots. As it should be. Nd needs to be all in on the young talent train. Same thing as at rb. You get better talent in and the average talent will either work harder, not play, or move on.

Among the top 200 rated WR's Brian Kelly has recruited....

1. Jordan Johnson
2. Davonte Neal
3. Kevin Austin Jr
4. TJ Jones
5. Deion Colzie
6. Justin Brent
7. DaVaris Daniels
8. Lorenzo Styles Jr
9. Javon Mckinley
10. Equanimeous St. Brown
11. Chase Claypool
12. Corey Holmes

It's been a mixed bag, as you'd expect from any position group over a decade plus, but overall, they've done pretty well!

1. Jordan Johnson
2. Davonte Neal
3. Kevin Austin Jr
4. TJ Jones
5. Deion Colzie
6. Justin Brent
7. DaVaris Daniels
8. Lorenzo Styles Jr
9. Javon Mckinley
11. Chase Claypool
12. Corey Holmes

It's been a mixed bag, as you'd expect from any position group over a decade plus, but overall, they've done pretty well!
Minimal nfl impact talent.... claypool will change that finally

Only care what they do in college. Tyler Eifert never panned out in the NFL either... But I'd take one of him every year if I can get it.
That’s 100% due to injury not talent. He had 13 tds in one season , 3rd most all Time for TE. Our best wrs recruited by kelly are claypool and fuller. Most talented and biggest nfl impact. Direct correlation

That’s 100% due to injury not talent. He had 13 tds in one season , 3rd most all Time for TE. Our best wrs recruited by kelly are claypool and fuller. Most talented and biggest nfl impact. Direct correlation

Floyd was by far the most talented WR to play for Kelly and had by far the best college career.

Miles Boykin is arguably the 2nd most talented, though claypool and fuller each have an argument for that spot as well.

TJ Jones, Chris Brown, Daveries Daniels, and and a few others are in the group after that.

Book cannot come back unless Kelly wants to be severely criticized.
the starter will be a frosh.
He dan come back if both parties agree. I trust this wnt happen. Will BK get criticized? It depends how Book does this year. Personally I think we need fresh blood and Tyler is not a guaranteed stater. There is a play book to learn.

1. Jordan Johnson
2. Davonte Neal
3. Kevin Austin Jr
4. TJ Jones
5. Deion Colzie
6. Justin Brent
7. DaVaris Daniels
8. Lorenzo Styles Jr
9. Javon Mckinley
11. Chase Claypool
12. Corey Holmes

Crazy that Fuller and Stepherson were not included. I thought they were the most talented WRs of the Kelly era. Not sure why, but WR seems to be one of the tougher positions to forecast.

That lends to my point. An NFL career can fail to work out for numerous reasons (injury being one of them). I still only care about what they do in college. Michael Floyd derailed his own NFL career because he couldn't get off the booze... But it didn't stop him from being the most productive WR in ND history while in South Bend.

Floyd was by far the most talented WR to play for Kelly and had by far the best college career.

Miles Boykin is arguably the 2nd most talented, though claypool and fuller each have an argument for that spot as well.

TJ Jones, Chris Brown, Daveries Daniels, and and a few others are in the group after that.
We were talking about recruited by kelly, floyd was obviously a weis recruit. Claypool and Fuller are more talented than boykin, jones, brown, and daniels. College stats, combine numbers, and nfl impact show that. Claypool is a rookie but flashing big time already on a team with good WR depth/talent.

TJ Jones is probably the best ND college WR that just didn't quite have enough to be a good nfl player.

That lends to my point. An NFL career can fail to work out for numerous reasons (injury being one of them). I still only care about what they do in college. Michael Floyd derailed his own NFL career because he couldn't get off the booze... But it didn't stop him from being the most productive WR in ND history while in South Bend.
I hear ya and my point was the best nfl wrs for the most part are really really really good college players. There aren't nearly as many stud college wrs that don't have what it takes to make it to the NFL.

I hear ya and my point was the best nfl wrs for the most part are really really really good college players. There aren't nearly as many stud college wrs that don't have what it takes to make it to the NFL.

No argument here.

I bet tOSU, Clemson, Ala. LSU, and UGA are wishing they had ND’s WR group!

Only care what they do in college. Tyler Eifert never panned out in the NFL either... But I'd take one of him every year if I can get it.
So I have a question, the Steelers WR coach has said that Chase is a pretty raw wide receiver that still needs to develop.

Is it possible that the offense that we are running and the coaching that our receivers are getting just isn't very good? You look at our last two standouts in Claypool and Boykin and both were measurement freaks but also incredibly raw NFL prospects. And their ND tape really just shows them making great jump ball plays. Basically I'm asking what ND is doing to make our receivers better?

So I have a question, the Steelers WR coach has said that Chase is a pretty raw wide receiver that still needs to develop.

Is it possible that the offense that we are running and the coaching that our receivers are getting just isn't very good? You look at our last two standouts in Claypool and Boykin and both were measurement freaks but also incredibly raw NFL prospects. And their ND tape really just shows them making great jump ball plays. Basically I'm asking what ND is doing to make our receivers better?
Claypool is outplaying 1st rd picks Ruggs and Jeudy from Bama.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Claypool is outplaying 1st rd picks Ruggs and Jeudy from Bama.
Claypool is doing great. Not saying he isn’t. But every catch I’ve seen him make are all go routes. His coach says he’s raw. Just wondering how we are doing with making them well rounded receivers.

Will be on the Irish roster next year:

Austin
Jordan
Colzie

Add -- Lenzy and/or Watts for speed...
Throw in -- Mayer, Baumann, Berrong at TE U...
Keep 'em on the farm for one more year -- Tommy Tremble... our swiss army man

That is a championship caliber group of receivers, right?

Now if we can find THE guy to throw to them! (Question: Does Clark have a better arm than Ian?)

Another Book bashing thread. 22 and 3 and counting.

*** And why do so many Irish fans think we have a championship season in the next year or two. When we have a GREAT team right now. Our best chance is to win it this year with GREAT talent we have THIS year.
Brenzy , Austin, and Jordan are on the team right now. Why can't we win it this year with them. They may may not even be on the team next year. NOW is the time.
And Ian Book is one helluva quarterback. Most college football fans and experts know that except for message board knitting circle Irish fans.

Reactions: IrishMike409

You have to ask what he means by raw? It could be a mental thing in which Claypool is learning about NFL coverages and how they play defense which is more advanced than college of course. Or it could be fundamentals/technique in which they're asking him to do things he wasn't asked to do at ND. We shouldn't assume by that comment, it means he was poorly coached at ND.

Thought Jayden Thomas was committing today? Could he also play RB?

You have to ask what he means by raw? It could be a mental thing in which Claypool is learning about NFL coverages and how they play defense which is more advanced than college of course. Or it could be fundamentals/technique in which they're asking him to do things he wasn't asked to do at ND. We shouldn't assume by that comment, it means he was poorly coached at ND.
Agreed, my opinion is that raw accounts for route running and reading defenses. I know that colleges dont ask as much from their wide receivers as the nfl does. But I also believe that ND asks very little from their outside receivers. Shoot how often did we see Miles Boykin and Claypool make catches at ND that weren't go routes or comebacks?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT