ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Polynesian Bowl

Bumpdaddy

ND Expert
Oct 20, 2014
Just a reminder that the Polynesian Bowl will be airing live tomorrow night at midnight on CBS Sports Network so set your DVRs if you have any interest. Our Irish will have the following 4 players playing in the game:

• Chris Tyree, RB
  • Kevin Bauman, TE
  • Michael Carmody, OL
  • Aidan Keanaaina, DT
Tosh Baker (OL) was also slated to play but he sprained his knee during All American Bowl practice a couple of weeks ago, so he will be there as a spectator on the sidelines. Alohi's little brother will also be playing but as a Stanford commit.

The Polynesian Bowl seems to be getting bigger every year, especially since the Semper Fi Bowl is no longer in existence, so the talent level is getting to be on par with the UA and AA games. Several guys who are number 1 at their position will be playing in the game.

Of course, I'm looking forward to seeing what all of our guys do but, in particular, I'm looking forward to seeing Big Kahuna and Bauman since this will be their first all-star action.

Tyree leading rusher and Bauman leading receiver. Good news.

Stats?

I forgot to tape it. Can anyone tell us how out boys did? I did find a clip of Bauman making a nice catch over the middle after a QB scramble -- like how he came back to the play and got open. Kid looks very big, esp. up top (much bigger than the OSU guy.) Not as quick at Mayer (a llittle lumbering) but Bauman seems to have really soft hands and he gets how to take up space and box out on a route.

How did Tyree do?

Thanks.

Stats?

I forgot to tape it. Can anyone tell us how out boys did? I did find a clip of Bauman making a nice catch over the middle after a QB scramble -- like how he came back to the play and got open. Kid looks very big, esp. up top (much bigger than the OSU guy.) Not as quick at Mayer (a llittle lumbering) but Bauman seems to have really soft hands and he gets how to take up space and box out on a route.

How did Tyree do?

Thanks.
Yeah, you really can't find box scores for these all-star games and I haven't found anyone who has posted individual stats. I DVR'd and watched the game so I can give estimates.

Bauman had a really good week. He was a team captain. He had about 5 or 6 catches for around 50-60 yds. He was the safety blanket for the QBs. The first play of the game went to him as seen here:

Here's the catch you were talking about:

Overall, he had a very good game. He blocked well too. He's listed at 238 but is solidly built and shouldn't have any problem putting on 15lbs or so of pure muscle.

Tyree had about 7-8 carries for about the same 50-60 yards. He also caught 1 swing pass that went for about 20 yards. He's obviously fast, but man, he's a very smooth runner too. He moves his body just enough to make people miss but keeps moving forward. He glides through holes.

Carmody started at left tackle and overall had a good game. He was going up against a speed rusher most of the game (Oregon commit) and was able to redirect him past the QB almost every time. "Almost" isn't quite the same as "every." He did whiff once but the QB was able to avoid the sack. He played guard in the AA game and also played well there. My guess is he will be a guard at ND but he has a good frame and moves really well so OT isn't out of the question.

Big Kahuna had a good game but it's easy to get lost at DT going up against a lot of double teams. He looked good in the one on one battles including holding his own against a 6'7", 390lb behemoth (another Oregon commit) that he got isolated against a few times. As big and strong as he already is, I think he needs to get stronger and work on his moves so that he can beat some of the double teams. He ended the game nicely with a bullrush sack to put the game away:

Irish Sports Daily has highlights of all 4 players from the game if you want to check them out.

Keep thinking Bauman might be the big surprise of this class.

Oh oh. Watching the replay, I notice some wobblers coming out of the hands of the Clemson QB commit, and we all know what that means.

Yeah, you really can't find box scores for these all-star games and I haven't found anyone who has posted individual stats. I DVR'd and watched the game so I can give estimates.

Bauman had a really good week. He was a team captain. He had about 5 or 6 catches for around 50-60 yds. He was the safety blanket for the QBs. The first play of the game went to him as seen here:

Here's the catch you were talking about:

Overall, he had a very good game. He blocked well too. He's listed at 238 but is solidly built and shouldn't have any problem putting on 15lbs or so of pure muscle.

Tyree had about 7-8 carries for about the same 50-60 yards. He also caught 1 swing pass that went for about 20 yards. He's obviously fast, but man, he's a very smooth runner too. He moves his body just enough to make people miss but keeps moving forward. He glides through holes.

Carmody started at left tackle and overall had a good game. He was going up against a speed rusher most of the game (Oregon commit) and was able to redirect him past the QB almost every time. "Almost" isn't quite the same as "every." He did whiff once but the QB was able to avoid the sack. He played guard in the AA game and also played well there. My guess is he will be a guard at ND but he has a good frame and moves really well so OT isn't out of the question.

Big Kahuna had a good game but it's easy to get lost at DT going up against a lot of double teams. He looked good in the one on one battles including holding his own against a 6'7", 390lb behemoth (another Oregon commit) that he got isolated against a few times. As big and strong as he already is, I think he needs to get stronger and work on his moves so that he can beat some of the double teams. He ended the game nicely with a bullrush sack to put the game away:

Irish Sports Daily has highlights of all 4 players from the game if you want to check them out.

Awesome content, thank you for taking the time to put this together. Really great stuff.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT