ADVERTISEMENT

#1 coaching criteria

MTIrish98

Posts Like A Champion
Mar 28, 2011
Montana
Does a prospective coach succeed above and beyond his current university's historic standard?

If they don't (like BK) or if they are maintaining the level of success of the regime built before they got there (Butch Jones), then I'm not sure they should get consideration.

Coaches who definitely meet this criteria:
Saban
Meyer
Harbaugh
Dantonio
Petersen

Coaches who might be fine, but we're not sure because they took over a program that was in decent shape:
Shaw (followed Harbaugh)
Chip Kelly (followed Belotti)
Chryst (basically followed Alvarez)
Miles (followed Saban)

Coaches that are sleepers IMHO, but might be a home run looking back (like Pete Carroll was):
Craig Bohl -- seriously, who wins at Wyoming?!?
Mike McIntyre -- ditto for Colorado
PJ Fleck -- WMU? Why not?

Why not hire Craig Bohl before someone else does? His style of football is perfect for ND.

I'll do it! before Jack leaves though I want a 20 year guaranteed contract; ( to me or my heirs! )

(gotta get before JS is gone; the next guy might know something about biz & contracts!)

Reactions: MTIrish98
On December 19, 2016 there is a former national championship winning coach, with midwest roots, who will be available and would probably listen to ND if it came calling.

If there was a specific formula to hiring a coach, you wouldn't see most programs hiring new coaches every 4-5 years. There is no magic criteria, but it helps to start with a winner who has an optimistic outlook. It would also be nice to have a man of faith coaching ND.

Dantonio in the same boat as Saban and Meyer? I don't remember either of those two lossing 7 in a row.

I can't see any of those names tier 1 or tier 2 coming to ND. Can't see it at all.

On December 19, 2016 there is a former national championship winning coach, with midwest roots, who will be available and would probably listen to ND if it came calling.
who

Does a prospective coach succeed above and beyond his current university's historic standard?

That's the A #1 prime reason we have the coach we have now. Grand Valley State, Central Michigan, Cincinnati.

That's the A #1 prime reason we have the coach we have now. Grand Valley State, Central Michigan, Cincinnati.

Agreed. And I didn't have a big problem with the hire 7 years ago (even though he wouldn't have been my first choice). Now I believe we know that the best we can do is get blown off the field in the NC game -- just like Oregon. BK has done good things for the program, but I don't think he'll win the big one.

Holtz, Parseghian and Leahy all exceeded the standards at tier 2/3 schools before succeeding at ND. They weren't spoke of like Urban, Harbuagh and Saban are today until long after they were successful at ND. Let's go find the next one!

Craig Bohl for ND! Make the Irish fight again!

I think this goes to our other conversation about getting a coach with experience. You will never get a successful coach from a major program to leave to go to another program, it just doesn't happen.

Ara and Lou didn't come from big time programs. I think Kelly was a good hire, but he should have been let go after year 5 like every other ND coach except the select few.

78 why do you think Tressel would be a bad hire? Ran a pretty tight ship at OSU. Made 1 huge mistake by lying to NCAA to protect his players while FBI investigating that tattoo parlor owner. Is that some mortal sin?

78 why do you think Tressel would be a bad hire? Ran a pretty tight ship at OSU. Made 1 huge mistake by lying to NCAA to protect his players while FBI investigating that tattoo parlor owner. Is that some mortal sin?

No, he did not run a tight ship at Oho St. Tressel lied to the NCAA on numerous occasions, and as result, had a five year show cause penalty entered against him. Ohio St. was also put on probation for violations which occurred under his watch. He is toxic, as far as ND is concerned, and rightly so.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...e-was-paid-with-ncaa-when-he-left-ohio-state/

"ran a tight ship at OSU..." Is this a joke? Do you know how many unaccounted for Dodge Chargers lie in Jim Tressel's wake? You also dismiss "lying to the NCAA" as if it's no big deal which is shocking to me. I guess desperate times require desperate measures. Hell, may as well add Bobby Petrino and Art Briles to your list.

In the context of college football, yes, lying to the NCAA is a mortal sin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT