ADVERTISEMENT

Which team is the most likely to

Back when the playoff system started the committee said they would be ALL about placing the 4 best teams in the country in the playoff and win-loss record wouldn't have the kind of weight it did under the traditional AP poll format, but the playoff committee basically turns into the AP Poll every season after their initial rankings, where if a team wins they stand pat or move up in playoff ranking, and if a team loses they move down in playoff ranking.

Insane if true, which I doubt.

One's record is the highest weighted factor in all cases. Then you apply other factors.

It takes serious doublethink to be otherwise.

Might be the worst list I’ve ever seen
Those are the four best teams most likely. I guarantee you that Michigan and Washington would be absolutely thrilled if Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State art anywhere in the playoffs, because Florida State and Texas are going to be easier to deal with

I think he means power ranking vs rules and guidance committee based ranking.

Problem is resolved next season. The legitimate top 6 if not top 10 will get in.
It's still laughable as a power ranking. Penn State ahead of Washington. That is just garbage. Come on, you have to laugh about that.

Washington has 3 top 15 wins. Psu has 0. Their best win is against a joke Iowa team.

You have to call out nonsense

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Insane if true, which I doubt.

One's record is the highest weighted factor in all cases. Then you apply other factors.

It takes serious doublethink to be otherwise.
Maybe, but that’s a remnant of times past. On a neutral field, Alabama would be a favorite over Florida State even with Jordan Travis, and so would Ohio State, and so would Georgia.

Reactions: chaseball
Texas beat Alabama by double digits in Tuscaloosa.. Why play the regular season if it doesn’t matter? Because the committee thinks they look better? Texas PROVED it on the field, no guessing needed. Oh and you forgot to mention Bama squeeking by USF, Arkansas, AM, Auburn.
I hear ya! Why did FSU win the the natty in 93?

It's still laughable as a power ranking. Penn State ahead of Washington. That is just garbage. Come on, you have to laugh about that.

Washington has 3 top 15 wins. Psu has 0. Their best win is against a joke Iowa team.

On neutral field Penn State would be favored vs Washington IMO.

Penn State lost two games this year (by 8 pts to OSU and by 9 pts to Michigan). They dominated the rest of their schedule.

Washington has escaped 1 possession game after 1 possession game to hold on by the skin of their teeth to their undefeated record. Penn State is also by far the more talented team from a pure 85-man roster recruiting rankings standpoint.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5

I did say top 4 in my response...right now I also believe Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, and Georgia are the best, maybe Texas has an argument. But as discussed, it doesn't work this way, the season matters.

BTW: hockey is more tolerant to these nuances. Strong teams generally make the playoffs. Some really turn it on during the playoffs, in spite of inferior regular season records.

Finally, hockey has a best of 7 series. So generally the best teams do win. You can recover from a single game upset. Football isn't similarly set up of course.

Maybe, but that’s a remnant of times past. On a neutral field, Alabama would be a favorite over Florida State even with Jordan Travis, and so would Ohio State, and so would Georgia.

Again...regular season must matter. You can't just weight on current power, which is subjective btw...discarding core merit. It's like saying if you got a higher score the last academic 1/4 over a peer who beat you the previous 3 quarters, you should win the final award...maybe I'm stretching with this analogy, but you get the picture.

;)

Penn State lost two games this year (by 8 pts to OSU and by 9 pts to Michigan). They dominated the rest of their schedule.
Washington would win that game because PSU wouldn't be able to score enough. Psu would not be favored

Washington lost 0 games this year. Psu lost 2. Washington won 13 games. Psu won 10

Washington sos is about 25 spots higher

Dominating weak teams in the Big isnt impressive. We dominated in 8 of our wins this year too.

Having them at 6 is a kids ranking

Reactions: Pennick4
I did say top 4 in my response...right now I also believe Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, and Georgia are the best, maybe Texas has an argument. But as discussed, it doesn't work this way, the season matters.
The season does matter which is why Washington winning their last 9 games (7 of which were 1 possession games) against a slate of mediocre teams should factor into the equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
Texas beat Alabama at Alabama by 10. In their building. They should be ranked ahead. Head to head is most important

LSU has 9 wins, not 10. Who has LSU or Ole Miss beat that makes them quality wins? I saw LSU get boat raced vs FSU

No one is afraid of Ole Miss or LSU.
I hear you on the first paragraph. I'm simply not big on the Big 12.

My bad on LSU 9 wins... they have the most dynamic qb and offense in the nation, I don't think many are lining up wanting that game. Sleeping on Lane and Ole Miss would be a mistake.

The season does matter which is why Washington winning their last 9 games (7 of which were 1 possession games) against a slate of mediocre teams should factor into the equation.
Just because you say it's mediocre doesn't make it true. The Pac was the best conference this year. 2nd best at worst

Pardon my choice of casual terms....

But everyone hanging on Bama/Saban's nuts are guilty of fanboying!!!

Yes; they looked tremendous tonight; but wasn't it only a week ago that they came one pass- break-up away from losing to to a 6-5 Auburn team?

It's not like they have been invincible for the past 10 weeks...

-26-20 over A&M on October 7th
-24-21 over Arkansas on October 14th
-27-24 over Auburn on November 25th

None of those wins blow you away! They are good; not great!

I hear you on the first paragraph. I'm simply not big on the Big 12.

My bad on LSU 9 wins... they have the most dynamic qb and offense in the nation, I don't think many are lining up wanting that game. Sleeping on Lane and Ole Miss would be a mistake.
And LSU has one of the worst defenses in the country. All Ole Miss does is sleep during the big games

I'm not big on the big 12 either but we ask saw them play. Texas won and the game wasn't. Even 10 points close. It could have been a little more

Sec was down this year

Pardon my choice of casual terms....

But everyone hanging on Bama/Saban's nuts are guilty of fanboying!!!

Yes; they looked tremendous tonight; but wasn't it only a week ago that they came one pass- break-up away from losing to to a 6-5 Auburn team?

It's not like they have been invincible for the past 10 weeks...

-26-20 over A&M on October 7th
-24-21 over Arkansas on October 14th
-27-24 over Auburn on November 25th

None of those wins blow you away! They are good; not great!
This wasn't a traditionally dominant alabama team for sure. But their offense came alive somewhere in the 2nd half of the season and their roster is comprised of the kind of talent that could beat anybody in the country. They were also undefeated in the best conference (by a mile) in the country

Washington has escaped 1 possession game after 1 possession game to hold on by the skin of their teeth to their undefeated record. Penn State is also by far the more talented team from a pure 85-man roster recruiting rankings standpoint.
Your usually putting around the cup but this one rolled off the ledge into the water. PSU's season is a hot pile of dogshit compared to Washington's.

If it's Michigan Washington FSU Texas, Washington could absolutely win it all.

This wasn't a traditionally dominant alabama team for sure. But their offense came alive somewhere in the 2nd half of the season and their roster is comprised of the kind of talent that could beat anybody in the country. They were also undefeated in the best conference (by a mile) in the country
Sec wasnt the best by a mile this year. Nope

Your usually putting around the cup but this one rolled off the ledge into the water. PSU's season is a hot pile of dogshit compared to Washington's.

If it's Michigan Washington FSU Texas, Washington could absolutely win it all.
Washington has the 37th ranked defense in the country. They are going to have a huge uphill battle vs Michigan or Texas IMO (2 teams that have significantly greater talent and are significantly more well rounded).

I do hear what you are saying and believe them to be dangerous if they do get in...

I am just playing Devil's advocate because we are kind of staring at an unprecedented situation...

Has an #8 ever jumped this much during championship weekend?

If the committee is goin to entertain that notion; I think you need over the top evidence to support it!

There is evidence; but not sure it is of the level needed!

So complete the train of logic...be objective and weight the wins appropriately...as well as strength of schedule.

The PAC is a power conference and WA is undefeated.

Washington has the 37th ranked defense in the country. They are going to have a huge uphill battle vs Michigan or Texas IMO (2 teams that have significantly greater talent and are significantly more well rounded).
Fair.

Although, if they had Iowa, Iowa St, Michigan St, Purdue and Rutgers on the docket versus the high flying 2nd best conference top to bottom those D stats might be better.

I'd put Michigan as favorites due to Harbaugh and all-around team as you mentioned but I'd say pick'em with unproven Sark and better qb play on WA.

Fair.

Although, if they had Iowa, Iowa St, Michigan St, Purdue and Rutgers on the docket versus the high flying 2nd best conference top to bottom those D stats might be better.
The ranking I cited is adjusted for the quality of opponent already

e.g. a team doesn't get a high defensive-ranking because they lucked into a 12-game slate vs a bunch of bad offenses. if a team is playing a bad offense, they need to dominate even more defensively in order to keep a high defensive ranking.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
Washington has the best offense Michigan will have seen this year and will spread them out Like TCU did.

McMillan was hurt for them for mist of the year. He's healthy now. That offense will be a huge problem for Michigan

Washington has the best offense Michigan will have seen this year and will spread them out Like TCU did.

McMillan was hurt for them for mist of the year. He's healthy now. That offense will be a huge problem for Michigan
Washington's offense isn't even as good as Michigan's offense. And Michigan is 2nd to only OSU in defense in the entire country. Again my numbers are opponent and luck adjusted/neutralized.

Washington's offense isn't even as good as Michigan's offense. And Michigan is 2nd to only OSU in defense in the entire country. Again my numbers are opponent and luck adjusted/neutralized.
My eyes tell me that outside of Michigan and OSU, the Big 10 is the WORST offensive conference in football. Hell, my local Memphis Tigers would have the 3rd best offense in that league.

Bull shit they arent better than Michigans offense. That's you not watching and using your little spread sheets

Feasting on the bottom feeders of the Little 10

Your numbers are funny to me.

That Michigan defense was supposed to be good going into the playoffs the last 2 years then it got shredded against real offenses

My eyes tell me that outside of Michigan and OSU, the Big 10 is the WORST offensive conference in football. Hell, my local Memphis Tigers would have the 3rd best offense in that league.
Yes, the BIG is definitely defensive dominant which is why when teams like Michigan or OSU or Penn State are still able to put up big points in their conference match ups it says a lot about the quality of their respective offenses.

Bull shit they arent better than Michigans offense. That's you not watching and using your little spread sheets

Feasting on the bottom feeders of the Little 10

Your numbers are funny to me.

That Michigan defense was supposed to be good going into the playoffs the last 2 years then it got shredded against real offenses
Michigan has been on the rise for 3 years running (improving greatly from year to year). This is the best Michigan team Harbaugh has ever had.

I find it funny how you continue to get into these debates with me over and over again even though you end up eating a big pile of crow every week.

Yes, the BIG is definitely defensive dominant which is why when teams like Michigan or OSU or Penn State are still able to put up big points in their conference match ups it says a lot about the quality of their respective offenses.

Michigan has been on the rise for 3 years running (improving greatly from year to year). This is the best Michigan team Harbaugh has ever had.

I find it funny how you continue to get into these debates with me over and over again even though you end up eating a big pile of crow every week.
You actually believe that don't you 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just like the Colorado debates lol. And the nebraska and NC state debates lol. Yeah you nailed those

The big 10 sucks. This is not Michigans best team. Their OL and run game isnt as good as its been the last 2 years. And their defense isnt as good. They are feasting on bad teams and when they get to the Playoffs they get exposed (I called those as well)

Serioualy when was the last time you won a debate, against anyone?

And the Big isnt defenseive dominant, is called bad slow offenses

You actually believe that don't you 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just like the Colorado debates lol. And the nebraska and NC state debates lol. Yeah you nailed those

The big 10 sucks. This is not Michigans best team. Their OL and run game isnt as good as its been the last 2 years. And their defense isnt as good. They are feasting on bad teams and when they get to the Playoffs they get exposed (I called those as well)

Serioualy when was the last time you won a debate, against anyone?

And the Big isnt defenseive dominant, is called bad slow offenses
Adding a bunch of laughing emoticons to your arguments while making bold proclamations (that you have to keep walking back) in place of any evidence does not make your argument more compelling, it just makes you look like an ignorant fool

Adding a bunch of laughing emoticons to your arguments while making bold proclamations (that you have to keep walking back) in place of any evidence does not make your argument more compelling, it just makes you look like an ignorant fool
Okay no laughing emojis

Lets talk your Colrado nonsense

Lets talk your NC state nonsense

Lets talk your Nebraska nonsense

What was the other one, didnt you say miss State was a really good team after week 3 and they ended up with 5 wins

I havent walked back any proclamations and just because you use F- (the worst ranking system out there) doesnt make you right. It makes you look like the Fool that you are

Texas beat Alabama at Alabama by 10. In their building. They should be ranked ahead. Head to head is most important

LSU has 9 wins, not 10. Who has LSU or Ole Miss beat that makes them quality wins? I saw LSU get boat raced vs FSU

No one is afraid of Ole Miss or LSU.
Honest question, would you take FSU on a neutral field right now over Ole Miss or LSU?

I try to be as non bias as possible, I have no dog in this fight obviously.

Two things I think help FSU get in, 13-0, and many just don’t want an SEC team IMO.

FSU isn’t a top 6-7 if we are going by the “BEST” mantra. UM, UW, UT, UGA, Bama, OSU, and Oregon all likely boat race FSU.

If I was King I’d have tough time between two playoff scenarios: UM, UW, UT and Bama. Or my other position would be UM, Bama, UGA, and OSU.

I don’t know if any of the other teams beat UGA or Bama on a neutral field.

Back when the playoff system started the committee said they would be ALL about placing the 4 best teams in the country in the playoff and win-loss record wouldn't have the kind of weight it did under the traditional AP poll format, but the playoff committee basically turns into the AP Poll every season after their initial rankings, where if a team wins they stand pat or move up in playoff ranking, and if a team loses they move down in playoff ranking.
👍

Again...regular season must matter. You can't just weight on current power, which is subjective btw...discarding core merit. It's like saying if you got a higher score the last academic 1/4 over a peer who beat you the previous 3 quarters, you should win the final award...maybe I'm stretching with this analogy, but you get the picture.

;)
This is taking into consideration the regular season. Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio St. would be favored over Washington, Texas, FSU (with Travis). I have no problem with the committee giving a deserving FSU or Texas or whichever team a shot, but from a competitive standpoint, the CFP will be depleted of FSU or Texas are in it because they aren’t one of the four best teams.

From a selfish point of view, Michigan gets a much easier chance at a title if Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio St. aren’t there.

This is taking into consideration the regular season. Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio St. would be favored over Washington, Texas, FSU (with Travis). I have no problem with the committee giving a deserving FSU or Texas or whichever team a shot, but from a competitive standpoint, the CFP will be depleted of FSU or Texas are in it because they aren’t one of the four best teams.

From a selfish point of view, Michigan gets a much easier chance at a title if Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio St. aren’t there.

Yes, we keep discussing current power vs overall season ranking.

I posted my POWER RANKING vs BY THE RULES RANKING on another thread.

I personally believe Alabama is by now the best...they would KILL FSU, probably rout even Washington.

But you can't let them in based even what are general rules.

A Power 5 undefeated conference champion has NEVER been left out...I don't think the differences in schedule merit an exception to this precedent.

I keep saying the NHL seems optimal. The best teams are in the playoffs. 7 games series. Such a system usually produces the truly best team...ensuring the best get in and that 1 bad game can be corrected in a series.

Football however doesn't lend itself to a series...but 12 teams will correct the top 6- 8 selection issue...where probably 1 of the top 4-5 usually win out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT