ADVERTISEMENT

What would you call a CFB QB career with 79 TD's & 69 Ints?

cgvr

I've posted how many times?
Jun 25, 2010
Dan Marino....

25 TD's 25 Ints?

Joe Montana

Golson career 41 TD's 20 Ints

I don't have the fumble stats and that's a ball protection issue...

I point this out not to compare Golson to these guys, but to show the ridiculousness of belittling him with "turnover machine" and other crap.

I think I've seen enough of the "put downs" of Golson's abilities.

He's an excellent talent across the board. I'm sorry we lost him and things didn't work out, but he does not deserve the nonsense being spouted by some posters here. He's a Notre Dame alum and deserves better.

His upside is tremendous and if he gels in Tallahassee he'll be playing on Sunday's.

PS Career College QB rating Montana 125.6, Marino 127.7, Golson 138.2....

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-montana-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/everett-golson-1.html

Dan Marino....

25 TD's 25 Ints?

Joe Montana

I point this out not to compare Golson to these guys, but to show the ridiculousness of belittling him with "turnover machine" and other crap.

He's an excellent talent across the board. I'm sorry we lost him and things didn't work out, but he does not deserve the nonsense being spouted by some posters here. He's a Notre Dame alum and deserves better.

His upside is tremendous and if he gels in Tallahassee he'll be playing on Sunday's.

I don't think many have questioned his 'abilities'. We've all seen what he is capable of. I'm a big fan of EG but this move leaves a sour taste in my mouth. To expect not to have a competition when you're the one that opened up that door blows my mind. He should have been yanked 2-3 games prior when he was sulking on the sideline and refusing to run down fumbles. The more I think about it, I'm excited to see a true leader who has a drive and will throw a block to spring a RB behind center. I get the feeling that the team supported and had MZ's back. I hope BK calls a good season because he has to put Malik in a situation where he can be successful. He put way too much on Golson's plate last year and now ND has a guy who has played 6 quarters of collegiate football leading the way. I still think Golson gave ND the best chance to make it to the playoff this year, assuming his head was right, but 9-3 is more likely with a 1st time starter.

Dan Marino....

25 TD's 25 Ints?

Joe Montana

A huge difference was that Montana was a leader

I don't think many have questioned his 'abilities'. We've all seen what he is capable of. I'm a big fan of EG but this move leaves a sour taste in my mouth. To expect not to have a competition when you're the one that opened up that door blows my mind. He should have been yanked 2-3 games prior when he was sulking on the sideline and refusing to run down fumbles. The more I think about it, I'm excited to see a true leader who has a drive and will throw a block to spring a RB behind center. I get the feeling that the team supported and had MZ's back. I hope BK calls a good season because he has to put Malik in a situation where he can be successful. He put way too much on Golson's plate last year and now ND has a guy who has played 6 quarters of collegiate football leading the way. I still think Golson gave ND the best chance to make it to the playoff this year, assuming his head was right, but 9-3 is more likely with a 1st time starter.

I agree. We spent a lot of time and effort on his football development. However, Everett Golson is a man. He is a Notre Dame man. My issue is that people are distilling his decision without having all the variables involved. I don't have them either.

This whole he wanted a guarantee that he will start sounds like nonsense to me. Cripes, read the articles about him prior to announcing his departure. By everyone's account, including kelly's, he was killing it. According to kelly we had the best 2 QB's in the country. Another thing is that, as you've noted, he was fed up with listening to kelly. Although kelly appears to have believed things were hunky dory with him they weren't. I am quite certain that Golson's relationship and potential for future success under kelly weighed heavily on the decision.

You make a great point that "he should have been yanked 2-3 games prior". Your darn right he should have and maybe sooner than that. I can't believe that kelly buried Zaire for meaningful minutes until the last game of the season. btw it was 35-0 when he entered the game. Holy crap can this kid play. That is classic mismanagement by a HC and it went on for games on end. I don't believe Golson can be blamed for that... kelly refused to bench him. It does make me wonder though, what other talent is buried? (PS "TE U" our current roster of TE's has one catch between them. That's freaking crazy)

In 5 years kelly has yet to have the same starting QB in back to back seasons. This whole offensive guru uptempo label he came in with looks like smoke to me.

People would do well to look at a bigger picture. I am disappointed that Everett Golson is gone, proud to call him a fellow alum and wish him great success. The job he did in 2012 will forever be etched in ND football lore....

Last edited:
It was a different game back then. Passing games were not nearly as sophisticated as they are today. There are a lot of all-time great QBs who had mediocre college stats, by today's standards.

cgvr/No1e.... What a jerk!.......more irrational hate directed at Kelly

It's obvious you are incapable of refuting anything I write. Nor are you capable of football discussion.

Why did you recently get tossed off another board?

I agree. We spent a lot of time and effort on his football development. However, Everett Golson is a man. He is a Notre Dame man. My issue is that people are distilling his decision without having all the variables involved. I don't have them either.

This whole he wanted a guarantee that he will start sounds like nonsense to me. Cripes, read the articles about him prior to announcing his departure. By everyone's account, including kelly's, he was killing it. According to kelly we had the best 2 QB's in the country. Another thing is that, as you've noted, he was fed up with listening to kelly. Although kelly appears to have believed things were hunky dory with him they weren't. I am quite certain that Golson's relationship and potential for future success under kelly weighed heavily on the decision.

You make a great point that "he should have been yanked 2-3 games prior". Your darn right he should have and maybe sooner than that. I can't believe that kelly buried Zaire for meaningful minutes until the last game of the season. btw it was 35-0 when he entered the game. Holy crap could this kid can play. That is classic mismanagement by a HC and it went on for games on end. I don't believe Golson can be blamed for that... kelly refused to bench him. It does make me wonder though, what other talent is buried? (PS "TE U" our current roster of TE's has one catch between them. That's freaking crazy)

In 5 years kelly has yet to have the same starting QB in back to back seasons. This whole offensive guru uptempo label he came in with looks like smoke to me.

People would do well to look at a bigger picture. I am disappointed that Everett Golson is gone, proud to call him a fellow alum and wish him great success. The job he did in 2012 will forever be etched in ND football lore....
zaire himself has said he wasn't ready and hadn't put the work in. you can't play guys you know aren't prepared unless injuries dictate it.

[QUOTE="cgvrHe's a Notre Dame alum and deserves better.

How many on here can say theu are ND alums? Not many, certainly not me.

I get confused as to whom these folks attack! Why can't we all be honest and just attack indecency like what we see at FSU?

You make a great point that "he should have been yanked 2-3 games prior". Your darn right he should have and maybe sooner than that. I can't believe that kelly buried Zaire for meaningful minutes until the last game of the season. btw it was 35-0 when he entered the game. Holy crap could this kid can play. That is classic mismanagement by a HC and it went on for games on end. I don't believe Golson can be blamed for that... kelly refused to bench him. It does make me wonder though, what other talent is buried? (PS "TE U" our current roster of TE's has one catch between them. That's freaking crazy)

I'd call him a disappointment. Should have stayed and helped the team next year. He isn't playing on Sundays unless the CFL plays on Sundays.

I'd call him a disappointment. Should have stayed and helped the team next year. He isn't playing on Sundays unless the CFL plays on Sundays.

I go to a lot of workouts for guys preparing for the combine or private NFL team workouts. Let's just say that right now Golson is miles ahead of where jd booty was.....among others.... If he stays healthy the sky's the limit.... I wish him all the success in the world.
PS Did you happen to see that Golson wasn't being tracked by vegas for the Heisman. Once he announced he is now in the top 10. Plus, I believe fsu's NC odds jumped huge and they are now favored ahead of us....

Last edited:
I get confused as to whom these folks attack! Why can't we all be honest and just attack indecency like what we see at FSU?
Most everyone here is attacking indecency ........ YOU!

You must just post in these threads without reading what the other posters say.

I get the uneasy feeling that there are those who think Coach Kelly should have given Everett the starting job in order to keep him at ND? The moment a Head Coach does that then he needs to get out of coaching. The HC runs the program and not the players. I have never seen ND, I'm not a Catholic, but I get it. I spent last Saturday and Sunday watching graduation activities at ND with all the pride of an alumnus. It's not a Brian Kelly issue but Everett Golson decision to tap out and transfer while leading the QB competition (according to many experts). I think it's a reflection of his lack of leadership that lead to he's suspension from ND and a 7-5 season last year. A new era has begun a ND and we'll see what kind of leadership Malik brings to the team. He's 1-0 as a starting QB. JMHBO!

Wrong. I get the feeling that folks want to pump sunshine about everything Kelly does. Didn't Kelly claim to have the best qb tandem in cfb? Didn't Golson start the BG game? Didn't Kelly say Golson had his best spring and other accolades.? This rumor suggesting that Golson wanted and demanded Kelly to start him makes no sense. Rumored demands being attributed to Golson need to stop.

PS I posted earlier that the transfer of Golson immediately put him into the top 10 Vegas odds for the Heisman. It also vaulted the fsu nc odds enormously.
So, he was no where for Heisman with Kelly and now he is top 10 go figure...

PS I posted earlier that the transfer of Golson immediately put him into the top 10 Vegas odds for the Heisman. It also vaulted the fsu nc odds enormously.
So, he was no where for Heisman with Kelly and now he is top 10 go figure...
I didn't see that post, so not sure if you included the numbers, but Golson went from off the board (worse than 66/1), to 14/1 and #8 overall on the board.. FSU went from 33/1 to 12/1. Those are some crazy bumps.

Reactions: cgvr
I think it's worth noting that Brian Kelly himself doesn't seem to be hinting that EG left because he wanted a guarantee to start. According to Kelly, EG told him he left to "get a fresh start". You can read about that here:

http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Brian-Kelly-talks-Golsons-departure-destination-37362750

I think if there was something to that speculation about EG wanting a guarantee Kelly likely would have been more neutral in his response. As it is, I think the reason BK gave for EG leaving is the actual reason. I don't know why people are looking for something beyond the reason he's giving. He wants a fresh start.

I didn't see that post, so not sure if you included the numbers, but Golson went from off the board (worse than 66/1), to 14/1 and #8 overall on the board.. FSU went from 33/1 to 12/1. Those are some crazy bumps.
Bingo.

I go to a lot of workouts for guys preparing for the combine or private NFL team workouts. Let's just say that right now Golson is miles ahead of where jd booty was.....among others.... If he stays healthy the sky's the limit.... I wish him all the success in the world.
PS Did you happen to see that Golson wasn't being tracked by vegas for the Heisman. Once he announced he is now in the top 10. Plus, I believe fsu's NC odds jumped huge and they are now favored ahead of us....
I don't care what you do or where you go. The NFL is looking for 3 things in a QB. They are leadership, decision making and accuracy. EG lacks big time in the first 2.

"a fresh start" is the only reason that makes sense. No coach with any standing would ever be cornered into a,,, guarantee of starting and Golson is not the kind of person who would make such a stupid demand. That decision would be based on the facts and Golson for what ever the reasons had a rash of problems that took him out of the undisputed top. Hopefully it has a lot to do with MZ being "that good" but all indications were EG was seen by the staff as the better bet to be the main guy. Golson had his run at ND, has moved on and Irish fans should too. GO MZ< > GO IRISH !!

Part of the reason EG left, I would think, is because he is not a natural leader and - MZ IS !..... Even if Golson were named the "starter" he was not going to be the leader of this team. An odd circumstance. FSU coaches and players will not be looking for him to be the "leader". He can be comfortable just being a QB,,, Obviously Golson is competitive but magnanimous.

Wow!

Those bump numbers are impressive.

Do you have a link to this article? I would be interested in seeing what the other school's and player odds are.

I don't care what you do or where you go. The NFL is looking for 3 things in a QB. They are leadership, decision making and accuracy. EG lacks big time in the first 2.

Yeah, and it took a transfer to another school for folks to start dumping on him. Go figure. He is terrific leader, has a dynamite arm and needs to work on his ball protection. Let's see how it plays out and revisit it after the NFL draft next year.....

Last edited:
No matter what the topics are, they all end up the same, arguing between ND and FSU posters. Don't you guys get tired of this constant drivel?

No matter what the topics are, they all end up the same, arguing between ND and FSU posters. Don't you guys get tired of this constant drivel?

Your assessment is off the mark.

There is one poster here pretending to be a Notre Dame fan who uses multiple handles to regularly hijack threads and hair pull. Many of his prior handles were bounced by Wax. Three of his 3 handles were recently bounced from another board.

Hopefully, new management will do the same here.

PS In fact, a petition to board ops was started on this board addressing the problem.

OP obviously has no eye for talent. EG had more turnovers than 85 D1 football teams did last year. That's embarrassing. He is not only a turnover machine but he is the king of it. Watch the games.

You might want to learn about how Vegas works before running your FSU die-hard opinions on here.

Golson will not get drafted in 2016. Mark it down.

Echowaker reminds me of the king of contrarians. Thank God for the ignore button. A narcissist to boot.

imho, can't jump past the competition to start, but article already says Golson #2 QB in ACC..... http://247sports.com/Bolt/Top-5-ACC-Quarterbacks-for-2015-37366039

also, Bill King on SIRIUS has always followed EG and says he will be one of the top 3 ACC....

Personally, I hate it, but there is no doubt that FSU is better off and ND is worse off re: EG

Give it up dude. You have an obvious agenda, Mr. Eye Level with a 5'9 future cfl qb. Go Irish!!!! You can be a criminoles fan. Enjoy the works of some fat slob college football writer all you want. I'm sure all the "experts" predicted the late season collapse and sulking at ND last season.

OP obviously has no eye for talent. EG had more turnovers than 85 D1 football teams did last year. That's embarrassing. He is not only a turnover machine but he is the king of it. Watch the games.

You might want to learn about how Vegas works before running your FSU die-hard opinions on here.

Golson will not get drafted in 2016. Mark it down.

Echowaker reminds me of the king of contrarians. Thank God for the ignore button. A narcissist to boot.

Huh, fsu die hard opinions? I know something about how Vegas works.

Golson wasn't in the mix for Heisman and now he is in the top 10...

FSU was I believe 33-1 to win the NC (pre Golson) and jumped us. We are at 18-1 and now fsu is 15-1.

Those are major "overnight" odds moves based on what?

Did the odds have move as a result of Golson transferring or is there something else that caused these swings?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on Golson's future. We'll see how it plays out.

Last edited:

No chance in hell EG was a 66/1 chance to win the Heisman before the transfer, that is pure blasphemy. I bet him at 25/1 before the start of last season and I reside in this city of sin. Malik is already a 40/1 now that he became starter, Golson was in the 15/1-25/1 odd range depending on the book. I guess the question is, would EG needed a 'fresh start' if there wasn't a man named Malik Zaire behind him? I highly doubt it.

I think it's worth noting that Brian Kelly himself doesn't seem to be hinting that EG left because he wanted a guarantee to start. According to Kelly, EG told him he left to "get a fresh start". You can read about that here:

http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Brian-Kelly-talks-Golsons-departure-destination-37362750

I think if there was something to that speculation about EG wanting a guarantee Kelly likely would have been more neutral in his response. As it is, I think the reason BK gave for EG leaving is the actual reason. I don't know why people are looking for something beyond the reason he's giving. He wants a fresh start.

It'll be interesting to see how fast Golson can pick up the FSU offense. Supposedly taking a long time to pick up our offense was one of his issues earlier in his career. Remember, in 2012 we ran a rather limited offense because he supposedly didn't have a full grasp of it yet - and that was his 2nd year in the program.

No chance in hell EG was a 66/1 chance to win the Heisman before the transfer, that is pure blasphemy. I bet him at 25/1 before the start of last season and I reside in this city of sin. Malik is already a 40/1 now that he became starter, Golson was in the 15/1-25/1 odd range depending on the book. I guess the question is, would EG needed a 'fresh start' if there wasn't a man named Malik Zaire behind him? I highly doubt it.
You would know better than I would. I don't live in Vegas so was just going by Bovada online. Before yesterday he wasn't on their board and the lowest guy was 66/1. Maybe it was a mistake.

bizzy, what book are you looking at for Zaire? Thanks.

"odds" over react in the short term and a long way from the "events" but certainly no MZ, or similar caliber QB, and EG would still be at ND. You can say he ran from the competition,,, but he made the move that was best for his chances with NFL. Fuel for haters, but he has to play the 'odds' he may get a contract next year.

I'm not surprised Golson's Heisman odds are lower than Zaire's. He's more of a known commodity at this point, having previously quarterbacked ND to the NC game once. Zaire has never been a starter, except for one game. Zaire actually has the 3rd-lowest odds among QBs who'll be starting for the first time, after Auburn's and Baylor's new QBs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT