ADVERTISEMENT

What OCs are out there you’d like

I think this is important. If I'm the new AD, I want a deep dive root cause analysis on 2 issues.
1. Why there were only 10 players on the field against Ohio St with ND leading attempting a goal line stand in the final 2 plays of the game.
2. Why did the team lose 2 experienced QB's both with higher winning percentages than a 6th year player who was 0-4 against Clemson coming into the season. Leaving the team with zero experience at the position for the upcoming bowl game and going into 2024.

And what is being done to ensure neither happens again.
Yeah totally... we should have stayed away from a 6th year QB who was all-ACC for Alabama's 3rd string and Arizona St's second string QBs. Give it a rest.

I wanted them to run at Kellen Moore last year but he got locked up to a 3yr deal in SD.

I'd like ND to give him a Blank check to run his own show here.. it'd probably take 2M+

Yeah totally... we should have stayed away from a 6th year QB who was all-ACC for Alabama's 3rd string and Arizona St's second string QBs. Give it a rest.
I assume your joking.

Pyne beat a #4 ranked Clemson. Sam was curb stomped by them.

Pyne had a 164 QBR in his first year as a starter. Sam has 162 as 6th year.

Pyne was 3-1 vs ranked teams. Sam is 2-2.

There's a thread devoted to this that another poster started. I was happy to give it a rest, except you brought it back up.

Sam, as a QB, is not good.

Pyne was as good if not better than Sam

Thats not what people wanted out of a 6th year QB

Exactly this. It's not about "is Pyne or Buchner any good".

The problem is, Sam is not a good QB. Period.

He likely loses one more game this year, if he plays in both. The defense will ensure a win with Wake, but Stanford will come ready to play and from what I've read, they just keep getting better this year and have a good coaching staff. We will see.

I assume your joking.

There's a thread devoted to this that another poster started. I was happy to give it a rest, except you brought it back up.

The OC isn’t good, The WR’s collectively are not good, and the interior of the OL has not played well all season. That all adds up.

Spread your blame around.

The OC isn’t good, The WR’s collectively are not good, and the interior of the OL has not played well all season. That all adds up.

Spread your blame around.
The defense is vastly improved from last year. VASTLY. The WR's may or may not be great, but they are the same or better than last year. RB room is much better this year. I'm not qualified to judge the OC, but last year everyone on this board was calling for Golden to be fired. So, I'll wait to see what happens.

The WR's have been open. Sam can't see them. Because he is not a good QB.

The defense is vastly improved from last year. VASTLY. The WR's may or may not be great, but they are the same or better than last year. RB room is much better this year. I'm not qualified to judge the OC, but last year everyone on this board was calling for Golden to be fired. So, I'll wait to see what happens.

Your narrative pointing the blame at Sam Hartman for the problems on offense isn’t fair.

The problems on offense are widespread.

Your narrative pointing the blame at Sam Hartman for the problems on offense isn’t fair.

The problems on offense are widespread.
So, the problems on offense last year were solely on the QB. This year is it the entire offense. Correct?

I'm not qualified to make that call, but I listen to others who I consider qualified. According to them, the WR's are getting open. I know this is a heck of a RB room. The line is decent and the QB has time.

Sam is not good.

So, the problems on offense last year were solely on the QB. This year is it the entire offense. Correct?

I'm not qualified to make that call, but I listen to others who I consider qualified. According to them, the WR's are getting open. I know this is a heck of a RB room. The line is decent and the QB has time.

Sam is not good.
With regard to your Hartman comment, your posts aren’t good as well.

Oregon OC Will Stein very young and energetic,former QB @ Louisville
This is a great mention. OSU with limited talent has had a great offensive season while also rehabilitating DJ Uiagalelui‘s shot confidence. OSU is currently 7th in offensive efficiency and 13 in OF+ which is impressive knowing what they have to work with.

I think this is important. If I'm the new AD, I want a deep dive root cause analysis on 2 issues.
1. Why there were only 10 players on the field against Ohio St with ND leading attempting a goal line stand in the final 2 plays of the game.
2. Why did the team lose 2 experienced QB's both with higher winning percentages than a 6th year player who was 0-4 against Clemson coming into the season. Leaving the team with zero experience at the position for the upcoming bowl game and going into 2024.

And what is being done to ensure neither happens again.
#1. Nobody is doing a “deep dive analysis“ for a couple of plays. It wasn’t good, but it’s not a “deep dive situation.”

#2. “Lose 2 experienced QBs”? The staff knew what it had in Buchner and Pyne. Hartman has regressed these last 4-5 games, but he’s a better option than either of these two. Every single school in CFB would have taken Hartman over Pyne and Buchner.
I assume your joking.

Hartman has regressed for sure, but it’s time that perhaps people start giving Tommy Rees a lot more credit than they have.

Hartman has regressed for sure, but it’s time that perhaps people start giving Tommy Rees a lot more credit than they have.
Right, when he didn't play Virginia Military Institute or East Tennessee State anymore, and started playing real teams, he regressed. OK.

#1. Nobody is doing a “deep dive analysis“ for a couple of plays. It wasn’t good, but it’s not a “deep dive situation.”

#2. “Lose 2 experienced QBs”? The staff knew what it had in Buchner and Pyne. Hartman has regressed these last 4-5 games, but he’s a better option than either of these two. Every single school in CFB would have taken Hartman over Pyne and Buchner.

When the WR room collectively offered no help as the season progressed, and the OC proved to be inadequate, and the OL has simply not established a whole lot, yes, that all added up to an offense that has underperformed.

To point to Sam Hartman as the reason the offense underperforms is laughable.

When the WR room collectively offered no help as the season progressed, and the OC proved to be inadequate, and the OL has simply not established a whole lot, yes, that all added up to an offense that has underperformed.

To point to Sam Hartman as the reason the offense underperforms is laughable.
He is one of the main reasons. He doesn't go without blame line you are trying to do

Reactions: notredamerises23
He is one of the main reasons. He doesn't go without blame line you are trying to do
Hartman didn't take Audric Estime out of the game on first down against Ohio St, when the offense had the chance to put the game away, and didn't send out 10 guys on defense on two consecutive plays after a timeout against Ohio St. with the game on the line.

Pointing to Sam Hartman for this team's problems is laughable.

Hartman didn't take Audric Estime out of the game on first down against Ohio St, when the offense had the chance to put the game away, and didn't send out 10 guys on defense on two consecutive plays after a timeout against Ohio St. with the game on the line.

Pointing to Sam Hartman for this team's problems is laughable.
He's one of the main problems with the offense. There are others but he's definitely up there in blame. He's not good enough

I wonder if Buchner regrets leaving?

Wait. No. **** that. In no world is pyne a tenth of the QB Hartman is. This is the dumbest drivel I have ever seen.

Both had to deal with ocs that ran the ball straight into 7-9 man fronts constantly.

The difference between the two is that pyne was scared to throw. You can't say anyone is a better QB that anyone else when one is scared to throw the ball.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Wait. No. **** that. In no world is pyne a tenth of the QB Hartman is. This is the dumbest drivel I have ever seen.

Both had to deal with ocs that ran the ball straight into 7-9 man fronts constantly.

The difference between the two is that pyne was scared to throw. You can't say anyone is a better QB that anyone else when one is scared to throw the ball.
Okay then...

PYNE: 11 games. 64.6 comp%. 2021 yards. 22tds 6 ints. 108 rush yards 2 tds. 155.3 passer rating

HARTMAN: 10 games. 62.8 comp %. 2272 yards. 18tds 7ints. 76 rush yards 3 tds. 154.4 passer rating

SIT DOWN, SHUT UP ! SIT DOWN, SHUT UP !

Reactions: deadirishpoet
If there were just one, ONE quantifiable metric that puts Sam Hartman above Drew Pyne performance as a QB at ND. Just one. But there isn't.

Okay then...

PYNE: 11 games. 64.6 comp%. 2021 yards. 22tds 6 ints. 108 rush yards 2 tds. 155.3 passer rating

HARTMAN: 10 games. 62.8 comp %. 2272 yards. 18tds 7ints. 76 rush yards 3 tds. 154.4 passer rating

Very impressive indeed
I had no idea things were going that well for him

I like Sean Lewis at Colorado. He’s not running his actual system at Colorado. He’s running the offense Shadeur Sanders daddy wants him to run.

Reactions: Kelso86
What premiere college football brands would continue to allow themselves to sputter around in mediocrity like ND has while continuing to take no chances?

ND is not some indie garage band. ND is the beatles.

The money is there.

The prestige is there

ND is the biggest most dominant brand in the sport.

Why do fans think ND doesn't deserve the best out there?

Why are fans ok with Marcus Freeman and Gerad Parker having the two most important positions on one of the most important college football teams in the country?

Why are fans ok with ND losing its talent to top programs in the SEC?

Makes no sense to me.
There’s some truth to this. Urban Meyer makes/made a hell of a lot more sense than Marcus Freeman ever did. The fact is that they hired a first time head coach which was a mistake. Then they let the first time head coach make a monumental mistake by hiring a first time OC.

Know who you are. Freeman’s inability to recognize his own needs/shortcomings as an HC with zero Offensive experience was a stunning mistake. He should have taken the time to get an experienced OC that could run the offensive side of the ball.
I think what he decides to do with the OC decision at the end of the year will either be the catalyst for success or seal his fate as a short lived coaching career at ND. I hope he makes the right call and fires his buddy and gets what he and the program needs.

Agreed. What we learned was how bad ND/Rees was at evaluating QB talent and how bad Parker is as an OC. Hartman’s numbers at WF were no fluke. 7-3 this year is on the coaching not an indictment of the talent level of the players.

The data says otherwise.

ND finished ranked 22nd in F+ last year overall and this year they are ranked 11th. The biggest improvement is in the offense which was ranked 34th last year, and is ranked 22nd this year. I think the offense has had a nice improvement overall, but just not enough to make all that big of an impact.

ND had the 9th best defense in 2022 and this season it is ranked 8th (no complaints here, Golden is doing a nice job resurrecting his coaching career)

I think a lot of fans are also making the mistake of washing away a lot of Hartman's performance early on in the year like it didn't exist because some of it was against really bad teams, but he dominated those games/teams in a way that you would expect a veteran star QB to. I think we see more of that Sam Hartman over the final 3 games of the season mostly because the competition level will be low but also because Hartman is a better QB than he's shown the last several weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
The data says otherwise.

ND finished ranked 22nd in F+ last year overall and this year they are ranked 11th. The biggest improvement is in the offense which was ranked 34th last year, and is ranked 22nd this year
Ok, because data and statistics can be used to justify any position you are pushing.

Since the QB position has been demonstrably weaker this year than last, yet the offense overall has been better, that would indicate that this year's offense minus the QB was actually much better than last year. IE the WR's, RB's OL, etc. Also, the defense putting them in better field position to score.

If only ND had a better QB they would have won more games.

All of this is proven by the most worthless rating system known. Chase F-. A massive fail.

Okay then...

Lol.

This thinking is simply stupid. What your really saying is the QB role in the current scheme sucks.

There is not a single thing on the football field the pyne can do better than Hartman.

There is not a single person with half a brain that in a game of pick up would choose one before Hartman.

Myself and everyone on this board is now dumber for reading the above reply

Reactions: IrishExpert2288
Lol.

This thinking is simply stupid. What your really saying is the QB role in the current scheme sucks.

There is not a single thing on the football field the pyne can do better than Hartman.

There is not a single person with half a brain that in a game of pick up would choose one before Hartman.

Myself and everyone on this board is now dumber for reading the above reply
All I did was put their stats for the season. Not opinion of who is better or worse. Just the factual stats

So again....SIT DOWN, SHUT UP ! SIT DOWN, SHUT UP !

Which OC out there is unconventional?
Parker

Hartman has regressed? Did you consider that opponent DCs have progressed after seeing what ND cannot do against good teams?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT