ADVERTISEMENT

We're taking a transfer QB

ND has no choice if somebody wants to transfer than so be it. I do not like Pratt because he does not play in a power conference. It appears Leonard is injury prone. ND might poach a QB from a school who loses their head coach

Reactions: ftnfan62
ND has no choice if somebody wants to transfer than so be it. I do not like Pratt because he does not play in a power conference. It appears Leonard is injury prone. ND might poach a QB from a school who loses their head coach
Cam Rising is one to watch as well.

Reactions: edub72
You have to. If and when angeli isn't named starter the odds of him staying are very low.

Reactions: GDFan
You have to. If and when angeli isn't named starter the odds of him staying are very low.
Well, if the goal is to have 4 scholarship QBs, then bringing one in only to have another transfer out, doesn't accomplish much - unless there's a big upgrade.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Well, if the goal is to have 4 scholarship QBs, then bringing one in only to have another transfer out, doesn't accomplish much - unless there's a big upgrade.
That's true, but it has to be in their mind. We gotta have four on the chance one leaves. Can't enter the year with only two QBs in roster.

This is really a result of the not getting top notch QBs to come to ND. It is really mind boggling that ND cannot get an elite QB through recruiting. Maybe Carr will be the start. I don’t know. What I do know is that throughout their history, ND has always had great QBs. If they want to have a real shot a winning a championship, they better start getting great QBs to commit.

Reactions: NDinNJ
This is the result of MF bringing in Sam Hartman last year and losing his 2 QB's that had better winning percentages and QBR's than Sam. Freeman knew when all that happened he would be entering this next year without a QB. What did he do about it? Did he double down getting Angeli/Minchey coached up?

For those saying we need the elite QB at ND to win...Why was Saban/Rees able to coach up 4* Milroe in such a short time to get him at 9-1 in his first year as a starter?

It's unfortunate ND can't get a HC from the portal for a year to teach Freeman and the staff a few important but obvious details about coaching. As in the importance of playing 11 men during goal line stands and coaching up your QB's to be ready to play.

This is the result of MF bringing in Sam Hartman last year and losing his 2 QB's that had better winning percentages and QBR's than Sam. Freeman knew when all that happened he would be entering this next year without a QB. What did he do about it? Did he double down getting Angeli/Minchey coached up?

For those saying we need the elite QB at ND to win...Why was Saban/Rees able to coach up 4* Milroe in such a short time to get him at 9-1 in his first year as a starter?

It's unfortunate ND can't get a HC from the portal for a year to teach Freeman and the staff a few important but obvious details about coaching. As in the importance of playing 11 men during goal line stands and coaching up your QB's to be ready to play.
2023 beats going 8-4 and losing to Stanford and Marshall at home.

Reactions: IrishMike409

2023 beats going 8-4 and losing to Stanford and Marshall at home.
Alabama is a dominant program throughout. Theoretically you could probably have started Buchner and gotten 9 wins out of him. It’s not all on the QB at Alabama Or those other big dawg programs. Georgia won 2 championships with a boy named Stetson.

What Marcus Freeman is showing is that he is not afraid of his QB’s the way everyone on this board is. Everyone comes from the angle of being scared a QB will transfer because he is not happy or threatened with not getting playing time. I like that Freeman is not phased by this and showing that the sum of his program is greater than an individual part.

Reactions: PHJIndy
Alabama is a dominant program throughout. Theoretically you could probably have started Buchner and gotten 9 wins out of him. It’s not all on the QB at Alabama Or those other big dawg programs. Georgia won 2 championships with a boy named Stetson.
I've only watched bits and pieces, but 4* sophomore Milroe is playing like a big dawg.

Have to disagree with this. Alabama became a much more QB centric offense with Kiffin’s influence and Saban‘s support as he recognized the changes underway in the game. This year’s Alabama team is very dependent on Milroe, who has been outstanding. I think Texas A & M, Arkansas, and LSU likely would have beaten Alabama this year the way Buchner played when given the chance to start. Pure conjecture obviously!

Reactions: notredamerises23
A 4* Milroe is not in the same league as a 4* Buchner. Just goes to show you the discrepancy of recruiting rankings. Buchner is a pee wee QB compared to Milroe. Alabama also is recruiting the highest rated 5* and 4* year in and year out. Hell, in the 2023 recruiting class they took 2 high rated 4* QB’s and have a 5* in the 2024 class. That’s how QB recruiting should be. You recruit as much of the best and not worry about a player’s feeling getting hurt and you have the best to choose from. We need to stop letting the prima Donna QB’s run the program for fear of hurting their feelings and them transferring. I say let them transfer, look how it played out for Payne and Buchner. The grass is rarely greener on the other side, its greener where you water it.

Reactions: Kelso86
Listening to some of the ND podcasts, the Irish are not necessarily going to take a "starter" in the portal. First off, it all depends on who will become available and secondly, how does the ND staff feel about Angeli, Minchey, and Carr. Coach Freeman wants 4 QB's on the roster to be able to get thru practices without wearing down the top 2. There are a lot of throws being made in practice and having 4 QB's makes it much better than 3.
Q: Are Rising, Pratt, Leonard, etc. any better than what ND will have on the roster next year?
Q: Is it worth bringing a possible "starter" in?

Reactions: Kelso86

Because bama has an easier schedule than normal

Amazing how he can say his current players aren’t good enough or ready (I agree) but can’t do it with his coaches.. BS
100% no team needs 4 QBs on the roster. This means we don’t have “the guy”. Well you don’t have the guy because you traded the Charmin bowl for developing your guys. Anyone here think Angelli/Minchey would have had the same amount of wins? USC was won by the defense, only toss up game is Duke which Hartman was garbage in besides a run on 4th and 19.

Reactions: buckey
100% no team needs 4 QBs on the roster. This means we don’t have “the guy”. Well you don’t have the guy because you traded the Charmin bowl for developing your guys. Anyone here think Angelli/Minchey would have had the same amount of wins? USC was won by the defense, only toss up game is Duke which Hartman was garbage in besides a run on 4th and 19.
4 is ideal. That's what teams want

incoming Freshman Williams will make a difference, but hope we find a boundary or outside receiver in the portal with speed who shows the ability To win contested catches. Easy to blame Hartman, but we’re Going to have similar issues next year unless we get some speed on the outside to force defenses to play off the line.

The difference of Hartman's prowess was stark after the injury to Mitchell Evans. Evans was the "safety valve" as well as the primary receive, and Hartman seemed like he was still searching for him against Clemson.

The difference of Hartman's prowess was stark after the injury to Mitchell Evans. Evans was the "safety valve" as well as the primary receive, and Hartman seemed like he was still searching for him against Clemson.
I agree. But I also think Hartman lost any semblance of confidence in his receivers making plays, and became very reluctant to pull the trigger. The one play that stands out to me was the pass to Flores down the left sideline against Louisville. This would have been a long successful pass last year for Hartman, but was a drive killing interception this year. Hartman was accustomed to having big athletic receivers with decent speed at Wake adjust and win more than their share of long contested passes; something in short supply for us this year due to recruiting misses and injuries.

I agree. But I also think Hartman lost any semblance of confidence in his receivers making plays, and became very reluctant to pull the trigger. The one play that stands out to me was the pass to Flores down the left sideline against Louisville. This would have been a long successful pass last year for Hartman, but was a drive killing interception this year. Hartman was accustomed to having big athletic receivers with decent speed at Wake adjust and win more than their share of long contested passes; something in short supply for us this year due to recruiting misses and injuries.
You're giving Hartman too much of a pass

You're giving Hartman too much of a pass
Not really, Hartman has made more than his share of poor throws. We knew he would take chances down field that would result in interceptions, but I’ve been surprised by the number of 15-20 yard throws off target or into coverage that have resulted in INTs.

And we have the walk-on Devezin, too. He can fill the 4th string role again for practice purposes, you would think. He's doing it this year.

And we have the walk-on Devezin, too. He can fill the 4th string role again for practice purposes, you would think. He's doing it this year.
If you have 3 and one transfers before the season, you are down to 2 scholarship QB's on the roster for fall

If you have 3 and one gets hurt in camp or the season, you are down to 2 on the roster

4 is the ideal number

This notion is ridiculous. most the big dawg programs in college football have 4+ scholarship QB’s on their roster. They aren’t afraid of a QB transferring. Just stack the room and have numbers to compete. The fans on this board so worried about if a QB transfers because he is threatened is a loser’s mentality.

If we’re going to take a transfer QB, can we stop taking ones from small schools who are trying to prove themselves on the big stage?

Can we at least take one that has potential or a high ceiling?

Hartman = Coan, that’s not a knock just fact, and neither one is going to get you into the playoffs.

If we’re going to take a transfer QB, can we stop taking ones from small schools who are trying to prove themselves on the big stage?

Can we at least take one that has potential or a high ceiling?

Hartman = Coan, that’s not a knock just fact, and neither one is going to get you into the playoffs.
So a QB from a Big school who has proven himself transfers exactly why? Or are you talking about a bust from a big school?

Arch Manning. I'm interested to see if he goes in the portal if Mullet QB returns.

So a QB from a Big school who has proven himself transfers exactly why? Or are you talking about a bust from a big school?
No one is talking about a bust, maybe someone like Manning who is upproven but has potential.

I don’t want Tulane s QB, it’s just another version of someone who blows up at a small school but is average at a top 25 program.

No one is talking about a bust, maybe someone like Manning who is upproven but has potential.

I don’t want Tulane s QB, it’s just another version of someone who blows up at a small school but is average at a top 25 program.
Tulane is a top 25 program. Better than ND the last two years.

Carr arrives Dec 8. Will take part in bowl prep. A 4th makes sense. I’m not too concerned. My only issue is if we promise something to someone mediocre like Hartman and CJ is good enough to start by mid season. My guess is there aren't many former CJ Carr’s headed to the portal bc they’re all starting or planning to start where they were recruited. I’m also guessing we can’t land a transfer QB with arm talent near CJ’s ceiling. It’s a bad year for portal QBs. If I’m freeman I’d take a Buchner kind of kid and let him compete as Saban did. Don’t be afraid to bench him for young talent.

Carr arrives Dec 8. Will take part in bowl prep. A 4th makes sense. I’m not too concerned. My only issue is if we promise something to someone mediocre like Hartman and CJ is good enough to start by mid season.
I have a hard time thinking Hartman was promised anything. He clearly is the best QB on the roster and won the job easily. In the age of NIL you still have to compete for the job. You would have to be the stupidest coach in college football history to promise playing time to a player. If we bring in a QB that ends up starting, and by midseason Carr is outperforming him, the coaches will have no problem making the switch. Their careers depend on fielding the best product that gives them the best chance at winning.

Saban didn’t promise any playing time to Buchner, and he‘s 3rd string as he should be. The only thing promised was a chance to compete.

I have a hard time thinking Hartman was promised anything. He clearly is the best QB on the roster and won the job easily. In the age of NIL you still have to compete for the job. You would have to be the stupidest coach in college football history to promise playing time to a player. If we bring in a QB that ends up starting, and by midseason Carr is outperforming him, the coaches will have no problem making the switch. Their careers depend on fielding the best product that gives them the best chance at winning.

Saban didn’t promise any playing time to Buchner, and he‘s 3rd string as he should be. The only thing promised was a chance to compete.
You’d have to be pretty stupid to ask your best player to fall at the 1 yard line too. Similar to being pretty stupid to run the clock down to the point where you can’t call a play. Or have 10 men on the field for TN State and make the same mistake vs Ohio State. Or give your best offensive skill player the ball only 3 times in an entire half when he’s averaging 7 yards per carry and you’re only down by one score and instead keep him on the sideline. Or defend the worst OC in program history and blame execution. Or say we’d run more play action if it was guaranteed to work. Don’t put it past him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT