ADVERTISEMENT

USC in game thread

Thought you were inferring that if Michael Young scores, the last TD by USC doesn’t matter, because we’d still be up 2 scores(10 points). I was pointing out that we’d been only up 7 instead of 3. Misread your intent

No problem. It was in direct response to Tbone's comment about it being easier to defend a two score lead... Couldn't agree more. Scholarship athletes running against air have the ability to contribute points to the effort as well. That's all I was getting at.

My real opinion... I think you irrationally tried to to catch me in an "a ha, I got you" moment when the defense gave up a touchdown... In a conversation about the offensive coordinator.

You hadn't mentioned a single other member of the staff until Lea's defense gave up a touchdown... I don't think you're ignorant, I think you tried to build a strawman about Long, referencing elements of the team that are beyond his control.

Check my posts at 1047 and 1049. It was obvious that I’d moved on from the offense to the defense at that point and it was right before I called on you. You’re the one who came back at me with Chip Long. Prior to that, I was explaining that management doesn’t get the luxury of hiding behind the “my workers suck” excuse. They are responsible nonetheless. It was a statement that applied to ANY Coordinator on the planet. You’re the one who kept countering with “Chip Long this/that.” But whatever.

BVG could’ve had the absolute best schemes on the planet. If the players can’t understand it or execute it, it’s still on him ultimately.

And before you say it and we have to go down that rabbit hole, I do not blame the coaching staff for Michael Young’s fumble. That was just a fluke play.

Last edited:
USC has a bad rush defense. There have been a ton of questionable play calls
Long took what usc defense gave them. USC was in cover 2 all night. That's why the run was open. You did watch the game right?

theory is Kelly was not going to Win by more than 10 in order to try save Helton
Well it may be BS, but that game plan pretty much went that way.

I thought these kinds of game plans and these kind of efforts were in the past.
I saw a team that was aggressive and physical vs UGA and felt ND has arrived!

And then last night! wha happened to the physicality or aggression?
Bad by design.

Bad by design.

300+ yards rushing on 6.4 yards per carry. Most which came from 2 tight end sets. You don't run for that kind of dominance without physicality.

I also thought USC was physical as well. Particurlaly on offense. Their backs ran like men and their receivers were physical and hard to tackle in space. ND stufk some guys at the LOS and got dragged forward at times. The USC offensive line was wonderful in protection and ND only rushed 3 half the night in order to eliminate the big play.

300+ yards rushing on 6.4 yards per carry. Most which came from 2 tight end sets. You don't run for that kind of dominance without physicality.

I also thought USC was physical as well. Particurlaly on offense. Their backs ran like men and their receivers were physical and hard to tackle in space. ND stufk some guys at the LOS and got dragged forward at times. The USC offensive line was wonderful in protection and ND only rushed 3 half the night in order to eliminate the big play.

You know what is wrong with your argument?
the results.

On defense ND was not ‘getting after it’ against a very ordinary OL. and a true Fr. QB. Just because ND made the SC OL look good is not testamony that they really are good.
The team that attacked UGA was nowhere to be found! ND staff and the whole football world knew SC’s WR were the strength of SC’s offense; but a QB under pressure or prostrate cannot get the ball to them.

Go back and check how SC has fared in 2nd half of games.

When ND had that lead at end of half, I was sure ND would blow out SC in short order.

The second half performance was abysmal.

(Fresno St ran for > 200 yrds on SC; teams have had success running on SC; but offense last night was not the problem; it was the defensive approach!)

Last edited:

Bad by design.

Yes and no.

The original concept of a 3 man rush worked well ......... until USC figured it out and adjusted.

We failed to adjust to their changes.

Eventually, the 3 man rush wears down the DLinemen and their rush becomes less effective, giving the QB ample time to complete his chores and hang up his laundty

You know what is wrong with your argument?
the results.

On defense ND was not ‘getting after it’ against a very ordinary OL. and a true Fr. QB. Just because ND made the SC OL look good is not testamony that they really are good.
The team that attacked UGA was nowhere to be found! ND staff and the whole football world knew SC’s WR were the strength of SC’s offense; but a QB under pressure or prostrate cannot get the ball to them.

Go back and check how SC has fared in 2nd half of games.

When ND had that lead at end of half, I was sure ND would blow out SC in short order.

The second half performance was abysmal.

(Fresno St ran for > 200 yrds on SC; teams have had success running on SC; but offense last night was not the problem; it was the defensive approach!)

Agree

ND failed to mix up their defensive strategy to counter USC’s adjustments

Yes and no.

The original concept of a 3 man rush worked well ......... until USC figured it out and adjusted.

We failed to adjust to their changes.

Eventually, the 3 man rush wears down the DLinemen and their rush becomes less effective, giving the QB ample time to complete his chores and hang up his laundty

Against that underwhelming SC OL you send the house! add to that the RB’s are lookout blockers! Lea had a very bad week/game.

And worse SC has been terrible in 2nd halfs of games! till ND.
Helton is easily baffled by any wrinkle or adjustment!

94 yards came on 2 plays and Book accounted for 49 more.

The 3 man rush resulted in fatigued linemen who couldn’t apply pressure.

If Young doesn’t recover his own fumble, chances are USC wins the game.

ND failed to counter USC’s adjustments !

If Young doesn’t recover his own fumble, chances are USC wins the game.

ND failed to counter USC’s adjustments !

Are we hinting that the worst coach and coaching staff in college football out game planned the ND staff? and worse made better in game adjustments than ND!

ND had the better overall team and talent by a wide margin!

94 yards came on 2 plays and Book accounted for 49 more.

The 3 man rush resulted in fatigued linemen who couldn’t apply pressure.

That's usually how it goes when you run the ball: 2 or 3 yards, 2 or 3 yards, 12 yards. 2 or 3 yards, 2 or 3 yards, 25 yards, etc

playing like ND did last night should for a time temper playoff expectations.
that was not a playoff worthy effort; by the coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT