ADVERTISEMENT

Tough schedule?

kev2225

Future coach
Jan 1, 2007
I keep seeing people on here using the excuse of a 'tough schedule' for this year's disappointing record. Really, was it that tough? Clemson was 4-4 before today, and they had a boatload of starters out. Ohio State is NOT the Ohio State of last year. Their QB is average at best. USC? Worst defense in college football. Duke is still Duke, and nobody thinks Louisville is really a top 10 team. So, spare me the 'tough schedule' nonsense.

Reactions: DublinND
Is it tougher than last year yes, but I generally agree with you.

The only caveat would be they played OSU-Duke-UL-USC in consecutive weeks at night.

OSU is good but their offense is a shell of what it’s been previously, as you pointed out, USC doesn’t play defense. ND scored a lot with under 300 yards of offense too. UL just kicked ND in the teeth, and Clemson had several starters out from a 4-4 team.

OSU is number 1. Lou is moving into the top 10. Duke when we played them was a very good team, they just lost their QB and USC is a good team. Just ask Number 6 Wash.

ND has offensive woes for sure but the schedule is tough. Michigan. Ah no.

This is a very tough schedule compared. 2021, that was an easy schedule.

Been peaks and valleys this year. Alot of coulda shoulda moments in our losses and alot of wow moments in our wins. I think Freeman is the guy for the job. This offseason he needs to address the oline coach, OC and look to the portal for some WR and linebackers.

Reactions: DublinND
Yes. The schedule is always tough at ND. Especially considering the overall goal is to play and win the playoffs. That is why we need a proven winning coach to lead us. The offense is awful. Anytime you pass on every play toward the end of the game that is a recipe for disaster because the other team knows what you are going to do. I don't care when we lose anymore. I expect it. If we had a proven coach like Urban Meyer then I would have a reason to be upset. Watch out for Wake and Stanford to the people who think 3 losses max and then a bowl game possible loss.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
It's a tough schedule. Clemson played their best game of the season yesterday. And Louisville does have a good team. They whipped Virginia Tech yesterday, and will likely be playing FSU in the ACC championship.

Even NC State is now 6-3, after beating Miami last night.

I keep seeing people on here using the excuse of a 'tough schedule' for this year's disappointing record. Really, was it that tough? Clemson was 4-4 before today, and they had a boatload of starters out. Ohio State is NOT the Ohio State of last year. Their QB is average at best. USC? Worst defense in college football. Duke is still Duke, and nobody thinks Louisville is really a top 10 team. So, spare me the 'tough schedule' nonsense.
Yes, it was a tough schedule.

2023 Strength of Schedule: 11th
2022 Strength of Schedule: 33rd

With games remaining vs. two weak teams, i.e., Wake and Stanford, the overall SOS will probably wind up at 15th or so.

• Clemson wasn’t your typical 4-4 team. It could have won every game it lost this year with just a play here or there (e.g., two 1st and goal opportunities ending in fumbles vs. Duke, choking vs. Miami, etc.) and hasn’t been systematically outplayed even once this year. Clemson is 4th in overall defensive efficiency. We played the Tigers on the road.
  • Ohio State I agree with the tenor of what you’re saying, but the Buckeyes are still a very good team
  • USC…I agree to an extent, but it was an impressive defensive performance
  • “Duke is still Duke” doesn’t mean anything. Duke is #23 in overall efficiency this year (albeit with some good special teams luck) and has a top 20 defense. We played Duke on the road.
  • Louisville has a top 15 defense and top 20 offense. We played Louisville on the road.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT