ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman

NDblitz

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Dec 15, 2021
I will admit I saw 9-3 this year. And saw Ohio as an L Clemson L and one of Louisville Duke or NC State as an L. Even still IMO Freeman Officially needs to be on the hot seat. Hate to say it. But….

One caveat- ND needs to really decide if they are in it to win or if 9-3 rule seasons are good enough. Because the school IMO needs to do more to justify firing him. Because let’s be honest ND is a 9-3 football program. Over the last 20 years. But I don’t think they will change squat. And ND will keep recruiting in the 7-10 area. When the schedule is softer they’ll go 10-2 11-1. When it’s tough like this year 8-4 9-3. Wash rinse repeat. Been this way F-O-R-E-V-E-R

Reactions: BigSDI
College football is changing. The big NIL schools will play for the national championships. Go dig Knute Rockne out of his grave to coach...it wont matter. The SEC schools will run college football. They have the deepest pockets.

Reactions: edub72
He can’t be publicly on the hot seat though you didn’t say that. Bad PR. I’m really concerned what happens when ND loses all of its defensive players this year. Then we’re going to see what Freeman is made of.

9-3 might be the ceiling next year too with all of the replacements. Not good.

ND is too multiple. Freeman’s clock management is very suspect. Makes me wonder about program management.

College football is changing. The big NIL schools will play for the national championships. Go dig Knute Rockne out of his grave to coach...it wont matter. The SEC schools will run college football. They have the deepest pockets.
It’s not a money issue at the University/College level

It’s not a money issue at the University/College level

Yes it is. That is...if a college with deep pockets is willing to spend and invest in NIL, really in pursuing a NC.

ND hasn't had such a posture since Lou Holtz. I believe you made strong statements about ND not compromising academic standards in this context as well. And coaching. We discussed all of these being factors.

Somebody stated to you that you would never convince them it is primarily coaching. They are correct. It's all of the above...notably that ND cannot be elite because of the academic standards. This has been true since Holtz, 1988 being that last time ND won a NC.

I still think ND should feature an easy, remedial, and progressive degree path. Emphasizing academic and social development. Focusing on personal finance, making young men responsible stewards of their NIL money.

I believe this would be more Catholic than trumpeting academic elitism costing an arm and a leg. Believe me, I'm a graduate of a very good Jesuit college and know the cost in $$$. I won't get into ideological encroachment making its way into even Catholic schools...but only invoke this to say: really, it is such a compromise to offer an easy degree to maintain a TOP football brand that actually is a part of American Catholicism?

I don't want ND to become a football factory like you know who. There are limits where one takes a stand. But ND can push it a bit more and maintain its integrity. I think this is what frustrates many fans.

Me? I remain comfortable following and rooting for the Irish. I got my memories of the 70s and 80s. I'm okay with knowing ND will never again win a NC...although I'll continue to stay on in case a miracle occurs.

😇

It's not the same man. I get the evolution of the game. I get that what ND is doing is remarkable given its disadvantages. But once upon a time ND was feared and ND was THE TEAM.

I miss that.

I still think ND should feature an easy, remedial, and progressive degree path. Emphasizing academic and social development. Focusing on personal finance, making young men responsible stewards of their NIL money.

No, this is not what ND should do. ND is first and foremost an academic institution. ND should not abandon its academic mission for success on the football field. And ND certainly should not be establishing curricula based solely to make it easier for football players to slide through.

It can be that way again. ND needs to realize the mission of the university can continue and grow hand in hand with football. In fact I firmly believe if ND values independence they should embrace elite football. Because it’s going to get harder and harder to put together schedules in this changing football world.

Reactions: banmate6
No, this is not what ND should do. ND is first and foremost an academic institution. ND should not abandon its academic mission for success on the football field. And ND certainly should not be establishing curricula based solely to make it easier for football players to slide through.

Accommodating football the way I described is not abandoning its academic mission. Nor is the sole reason for an easy degree for football, as it serves a social mission. Even the most prestigious universities diversify their students by considering many factors outside pure GPA and test scores.

I don't think that aspiring and current ND students would be opposed. Or that it would change anything but the fortunes of the football team. I know ND graduates, family and friends, ALL wishing ND accepted top football players with reasonable accommodation. Not a scientific survey, but consistent.

But fair enough, as I've no issue either way. If ND doesn't want to be a football champion, so be it.

Accommodating football the way I described is not abandoning its academic mission. Nor is the sole reason for an easy degree for football, as it serves a social mission. Even the most prestigious universities diversify their students by considering many factors outside pure GPA and test scores.

I don't think that aspiring and current ND students would be opposed. Or that it would change anything but the fortunes of the football team. I know ND graduates, family and friends, ALL wishing ND accepted top football players with reasonable accommodation. Not a scientific survey, but consistent.

But fair enough, as I've no issue either way. If ND doesn't want to be a football champion, so be it.

Yeah it is. You don't know who would or would not be opposed. I'm an alum and I would be opposed. ND already makes accommodations for football players. ND should not and hopefully will not institute jock majors in order to win more football games.

It can be that way again. ND needs to realize the mission of the university can continue and grow hand in hand with football. In fact I firmly believe if ND values independence they should embrace elite football. Because it’s going to get harder and harder to put together schedules in this changing football world.

I sure wish ND would see it this way. But they clearly do not. Including some alumni on this board who are intransigent.

Overall, like I said, I'm fine with it. So be it if ND doesn't want to be a NC. Life goes on, with empires rising and falling...with ND football in glory now being a matter of lore.

But given all the issues facing the Catholic Church, man, this is where we draw the line in being holier than thou? For all the sins and iniquities, in living memory, sorry to bring it up, young men can't be given a progressive degree path?

I'm Catholic. On my Parish Council. Ironically also named Notre Dame with a great k-8 school. The school funds a few kids in need who aren't always academically up to speed...but we support them into developing. That's Catholic!

Reactions: DublinND
Yeah it is. You don't know who would or would not be opposed. I'm an alum and I would be opposed. ND already makes accommodations for football players. ND should not and hopefully will not institute jock majors in order to win more football games.

I'll bet you a lot of it came down to a vote, even across age bands...my proposal would win!

😉

I sure wish ND would see it this way. But they clearly do not. Including some alumni on this board who are intransigent.

Overall, like I said, I'm fine with it. So be it if ND doesn't want to be a NC. Life goes on, with empires rising and falling...with ND football in glory now being a matter of lore.

But given all the issues facing the Catholic Church, man, this is where we draw the line in being holier than thou? For all the sins and iniquities, in living memory, sorry to bring it up, young men can't be given a progressive degree path?

I'm Catholic. On my Parish Council. Ironically also named Notre Dame with a great k-8 school. The school funds a few kids in need who aren't always academically up to speed...but we support them into developing. That's Catholic!
Yep. Pretty sure the university embraces not shuns Tony Rice.

Not talking about jock majors and not talking about just football or athletes. Remedial entry program. Not a major. But since you brought it up Stanford has certain “jock majors” fyi. And last I looked top 5 institutions in America.

Nope. Its clear you really do not know ND like you claim you do.

It is not clear, as tacitly agreed by NDSMC78, an alumni. I also know alumni, ALL who side with me. Are they unclear about their alma mater?
I'm just betting on what a vote would be...for clarity.

😉

Not talking about jock majors and not talking about just football or athletes. Remedial entry program. Not a major. But since you brought it up Stanford has certain “jock majors” fyi. And last I looked top 5 institutions in America.

I live in the Bay Area and know and work with many Stanford alumni in hi-tech. My son is a HS football player and has a coach who coached at Stanford before becoming a teacher. They all tell me Stanford has no easy degree...some certainly easier, but all are challenging enough.

I wish some school like Stanford would outright make an easy degree, making it socially acceptable at top academic schools. I dare say ND would be visionary to do this. But what do I know, I'm no ND alumni, just a mere subway fan?

😉

I live in the Bay Area and know and work with many Stanford alumni in hi-tech. My son is a HS football player and has a coach who coached at Stanford before becoming a teacher. They all tell me Stanford has no easy degree...some certainly easier, but all are challenging enough.

I wish some school like Stanford would outright make an easy degree, making it socially acceptable at top academic schools. I dare say ND would be visionary to do this. But what do I know, I'm no ND alumni, just a mere subway fan?

😉
But Stanford has more degrees. What exactly is the Global Sports degree or whatever it’s called?

Not intransigent. I just want my degree to have some meaning. I don't want to be associated as being from a school which offers meaningless studies.

Reactions: Classic Irish
There are ways of getting around it. Assigning players to certain professors who will give players a B just for showing up. Or tutors "helping" players pass tests on a road trip. It has gone on at other schools for eons. I am okay with 8 or 9 wins a year if ND doesn't lower its admission standards for football.

Last edited:
Yes it is. That is...if a college with deep pockets is willing to spend and invest in NIL, really in pursuing a NC.

ND hasn't had such a posture since Lou Holtz. I believe you made strong statements about ND not compromising academic standards in this context as well. And coaching. We discussed all of these being factors.

Somebody stated to you that you would never convince them it is primarily coaching. They are correct. It's all of the above...notably that ND cannot be elite because of the academic standards. This has been true since Holtz, 1988 being that last time ND won a NC.

I believe this would be more Catholic than trumpeting academic elitism costing an arm and a leg. Believe me, I'm a graduate of a very good Jesuit college and know the cost in $$$. I won't get into ideological encroachment making its way into even Catholic schools...but only invoke this to say: really, it is such a compromise to offer an easy degree to maintain a TOP football brand that actually is a part of American Catholicism?

I don't want ND to become a football factory like you know who. There are limits where one takes a stand. But ND can push it a bit more and maintain its integrity. I think this is what frustrates many fans.

Me? I remain comfortable following and rooting for the Irish. I got my memories of the 70s and 80s. I'm okay with knowing ND will never again win a NC...although I'll continue to stay on in case a miracle occurs.

😇

It's not the same man. I get the evolution of the game. I get that what ND is doing is remarkable given its disadvantages. But once upon a time ND was feared and ND was THE TEAM.

I miss that.
You are uninformed, per NCAA rules, colleges are PROHIBITED from funding NIL arrangements.

You may want to rethink your position !

😇

I miss that.
An easy, remedial, and progressive degree path for ND football players? How about coed dorms? Why don’t you take your suggestion to the service academy fan boards. When a ND football player is interviewed they can speak in complete sentences. There is nothing more depressing than listening to an athlete speak who sounds like an idiot.

There is a certain crowd on here that wants the top 50 players in the country to go to ND. If this doesn’t happen the coach can’t recruit. Wants the school to play 12 power 5 teams preferably Michigan SC Alabama etc. win every game or the coach can’t coach . Wants ND to remain Indrpendent despite the fact the other schools are expanding their schedules in conference and soon see playing ND as another mine on their path to a playoff birth. And hence not worth it for tv looks or nostalgia. And then the same folks want to have ultra challenging academic standards. Or the school is academically meaningless. News flash the world is changing. The world has changed more rapidly in 3 years than the last 30. ND will be left behind. ND is a 9-3 program. Traditionally. It will remain that way. Unless certain tweaks are made.

An easy, remedial, and progressive degree path for ND football players? How about coed dorms? Why don’t you take your suggestion to the service academy fan boards. When a ND football player is interviewed they can speak in complete sentences. There is nothing more depressing than listening to an athlete speak who sounds like an idiot.
Could Tony Rice speak in complete sentences there Senator Byrd?

You are uninformed, per NCAA rules, colleges are PROHIBITED from funding NIL arrangements.

You may want to rethink your position !

Doesn't have to be direct funding. I don't know the exact rules, but ND has smart business + legal folks to stay within letter and spirit of the law. Develop a program here.

I'm an ex-US Army officer and served with many fine West Pointers. Different mission. Obviously.

On a more obvious note...since you are quick to denigrate athletes with academic deficiencies, nothing I said is a slippery slope into coed dorms and other crazy things.

Honest question: you graduated ND?

Doesn't have to be direct funding. I don't know the exact rules, but ND has smart business + legal folks to stay within letter and spirit of the law. Develop a program here.
You’re wrong, the University of Notre Dame can NOT fund NIL arrangement, directly or indirectly.

You we’re correct in stating that you don’t know the rules.

ND, vis a vis alumni and others has formed NIL collectives, hence ND is in tune with the current NIL environment

P.S. Thanks for your service ! 👍

You’re wrong, the University of Notre Dame can NOT fund NIL arrangement, directly or indirectly.

ND, vis a vis alumni and others has formed NIL collectives.

We can agree to disagree, as indirect means a lot of things...unless ND forbids NIL altogether. ND players get NIL, so this opens some avenues to get the best for them. Counseling? How to invest to the money?

Come on, let's not overly think this, especially looking for an angle of immorality.

🙂

I'm an ex-US Army officer and served with many fine West Pointers. Different mission. Obviously.

On a more obvious note...since you are quick to denigrate athletes with academic deficiencies, nothing I said is a slippery slope into coed dorms and other crazy things.

Honest question: you graduated ND?
Honest answer: Yes. ROTC scholarship student and received my degree and commission at graduation. Had the traditional silver dollar salute and family pined my bars on. Emphasis on the word “traditional.” Completed combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Honest suggestion: Keep your personal insults to me off this board.

Honest answer: Yes. ROTC scholarship student and received my degree and commission at graduation. Had the traditional silver dollar salute and family pined my bars on. Emphasis on the word “traditional.” Completed combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Honest suggestion: Keep your personal insults to me off this board.

I didn’t insult you. I am keeping count of ND grads and their “votes” on this matter.

🙂

I’m also ROTC. Also combat veteran. Only I never was awarded my scholarship…because I wasn’t a citizen yet. I still served. Thank you for your service.

Reactions: NDblitz

ND, vis a vis alumni and others has formed NIL collectives, hence ND is in tune with the current NIL environment

P.S. Thanks for your service ! 👍

Actually rereading your post, NIL collectives are indirect funding. Sorry, I skimmed initially.

We can agree to disagree, as indirect means a lot of things...unless ND forbids NIL altogether. ND players get NIL, so this opens some avenues to get the best for them. Counseling? How to invest to the money?

Come on, let's not overly think this, especially looking for an angle of immorality.

🙂
It’s my belief that ND has to remain squeaky clean as I believe that the NCAA would love another bite at the apple.

ND is keenly aware of NIL and how to use it

Unfortunately, NIL will turn into a financial arms race !

Reactions: banmate6
I didn’t insult you. I am keeping count of ND grads and their “votes” on this matter.

🙂

I’m also ROTC. Also combat veteran. Only I never was awarded my scholarship…because I wasn’t a citizen yet. I still served. Thank you for your service.
I was too sensitive in my response to you. Thank you for your service.

Well, stanford does,northwestern does, Duke does, need I go on. I can

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT