ADVERTISEMENT

General season in review thoughts

FightingIrish44

ND Expert
May 7, 2009
Clemson is about to beat UNC and UNC was 8-2. If ND goes 10-3 it will be a pretty good season with losses to a great Ohio State, good Clemson, and good to great Louisville team.

That’s a good season IMO and a step up from 9-4 if ND can win the bowl game. Its obviously frustrating that ND choked against Ohio State and couldn’t score in the second half against Clemson. And Louisville was tight in the 4th quarter until UL pulled away.

What could have been but a good season off of which to recruit if they go 10-3. Next year will be huge.

Clemson is about to beat UNC and UNC was 8-2. If ND goes 10-3 it will be a pretty good season with losses to a great Ohio State, good Clemson, and good to great Louisville team.

That’s a good season IMO and a step up from 9-4 if ND can win the bowl game. Its obviously frustrating that ND choked against Ohio State and couldn’t score in the second half against Clemson. And Louisville was tight in the 4th quarter until UL pulled away.

What could have been but a good season off of which to recruit if they go 10-3. Next year will be huge.
Agree if they can get to 10-3 , it’s a good season. However, it is also true it was a very disappointed season. They literally had the OSU game and poor play calling and clock management cost them a victory. Losing to Louisville was bad but I can see , given the circumstances how it could happen. I think losing to Clemson was the real dagger. They had plenty of reasons to play well and get a win. That loss was the nail in the coffin . The season went from very promising, to could be very good, to maybe good and in my view , disappointing. But , that’s football. Hopefully they beat Stanford and win whatever bowl they get. A 10-3 record is a good way to springboard into the next season. Go Irish !!

Reactions: Kelso86
Agree if they can get to 10-3 , it’s a good season. However, it is also true it was a very disappointed season. They literally had the OSU game and poor play calling and clock management cost them a victory. Losing to Louisville was bad but I can see , given the circumstances how it could happen. I think losing to Clemson was the real dagger. They had plenty of reasons to play well and get a win. That loss was the nail in the coffin . The season went from very promising, to could be very good, to maybe good and in my view , disappointing. But , that’s football. Hopefully they beat Stanford and win whatever bowl they get. A 10-3 record is a good way to springboard into the next season. Go Irish !!
Yup. Its “good” and “disappointing” all at the same time, especially that OSU loss. That was an offensive performance of beauty IMO. Those two back sets out of the gun were great. ND used it once tonight and maybe got 3 yards. I’d like to see ND stick with it more. Focus on downhill running game and mix in an occasional outside hitting play.

Yup. Its “good” and “disappointing” all at the same time, especially that OSU loss. That was an offensive performance of beauty IMO. Those two back sets out of the gun were great. ND used it once tonight and maybe got 3 yards. I’d like to see ND stick with it more. Focus on downhill running game and mix in an occasional outside hitting play.
They have the talent. Maybe need a game breaker on the offensive side. Maybe a run stopper and a fast LB on defense. It’s frustrating because you can see the potential is there. Just need to put it all together.

Solid season for a year 2 Freeman. I’ve too many memories of Davie, Willingham, Weis, and early BK to take winning seasons for granted. ND seems a legitimate top 20 team.

Sure I’d like more. But I won’t dwell on this, as we’ve debated it to the nth degree. ND will go to a bowl game and that’s good enough for me.

They have the talent. Maybe need a game breaker on the offensive side. Maybe a run stopper and a fast LB on defense. It’s frustrating because you can see the potential is there. Just need to put it all together.
Lots of young receivers and TE’s as well as backs returning. Evans coming back would be huge. If the OL coach is good and ND gets a good QB, they could have a good offense. As we saw this year, you have to take care of the ball first and foremost. Maybe ND beats Clemson without the pick 6.

I’m very concerned about the front 7. I’m hoping Kiser wants to come back and be a full-time starter to wrap up his career. The young LB’s looked okay today from what I could see but that was just garbage time in one game.

10 and 3 would be a good season. USC just got hammered by UCLA so that win is not as impressive. But win out and we are building something. Need a QB next year.
We've been building since 1988. We must have 10 WTC's at this point.

I think it was an avg. season. The fact that the defense had 10 people vs Ohio St is pee wee football. 2 plays in the row on National TV. Hey Brian Kelly was called every name in the book for the season that just happened.

I think it was an avg. season. The fact that the defense had 10 people vs Ohio St is pee wee football. 2 plays in the row on National TV. Hey Brian Kelly was called every name in the book for the season that just happened.
I cannot disagree with anything you said. 10 and 3 is the hope, but this season has been mildly disappointing. Where do we go from here is the question.

Disappointing because I believe we have a defense that can play with anyone. Championship level. Our offensive playmakers were, unfortunately because of injuries, a group of kids who were playing HS football a year ago. Audric is a beast but we need playmakers -- I think we have them in this Freshman class. What could have been! I like what Marcus has brought to this program. Class man. Notre Dame man.

Yeah that was bad against OSU, but had they lost in a different way, it would still be a loss. It was a nail biter against an 11+ win team.

I consider the 2006 season good at 10-3 and that included getting a beatdown from Michigan and LSU. USC wasn’t close either. This team was much more competitive in their losses though I admit they leave a sour taste.

That’s crap. At some point, you’ve got to stop dwelling on a mistake that was made 8 damn weeks ago. Sucks that we lost to OSU, but for the first time that I’ve seen (I’m 42 and have watched every game since 91’), we kicked OSUs ass up and down the field. We beat them up. Clearly, we lost it in the final few minutes, but the hope is that Freeman learns from it, and ascends going forward.

10-3 isn’t what we wanted, but it’s a step forward vs last year. The program is on the rise, and for the first time since Holtz, I’m confident that ND can handle themselves in just about any Top-10 matchup.

Next season is critical. Have to make the right decision at QB. Have to go down to College Station week 1 and beat A&M.

That’s crap. At some point, you’ve got to stop dwelling on a mistake that was made 8 damn weeks ago. Sucks that we lost to OSU, but for the first time that I’ve seen (I’m 42 and have watched every game since 91’), we kicked OSUs ass up and down the field. We beat them up. Clearly, we lost it in the final few minutes, but the hope is that Freeman learns from it, and ascends going forward.

10-3 isn’t what we wanted, but it’s a step forward vs last year. The program is on the rise, and for the first time since Holtz, I’m confident that ND can handle themselves in just about any Top-10 matchup.

Next season is critical. Have to make the right decision at QB. Have to go down to College Station week 1 and beat A&M.
It's a what coulda been season. We handicapped ourselves with several internal promotions instead of a national search for the best man. The most obvious result was missing points on the scoreboard in several key games.

Notre Dame did not "beat up..." Ohio St, and we did not "...kick OSU's ass up and down the field..." . That's crap. When you score 14 points in 60 minutes of CFB, you did not beat up anyone.

Notre Dame did not "beat up..." Ohio St, and we did not "...kick OSU's ass up and down the field..." . That's crap. When you score 14 points in 60 minutes of CFB, you did not beat up anyone.
Correct

Woulda coulda shoulda. We lost to Ohio St. Fantasy football, yes I agree we probably have more points. Let’s be totally honest. Brian Kelly produced this type of season?

Fine. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but Notre Dame looked like the better team for probably 50 minutes. And for stretches, we physically pounded them.

You’re a really good and consistent poster. I respect what you post around here. But we simply feel different about this game. We outplayed them all night. The Egbuka catch at the goal line was the play of the night. And even after that…..OSU had a pretty difficult time punching it in.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Woulda coulda shoulda. We lost to Ohio St. Fantasy football, yes I agree we probably have more points. Let’s be totally honest. Brian Kelly produced this type of season?
Seems like you feel that ND underachieved, and you enjoy telling everyone “told you so”. Constant negativity. Are you a fan?

The season was certainly imperfect, but the program is on the rise. 10-3 is improvement vs last year, and we can handle ourselves in Top-10 matchups.

Playoff birth next year is the expectation.

When they hired Freeman, i knew he’d make mistakes and I knew we’d lose a few games early that we should win. I also knew he’d likely change the culture. That’s all happened.

When they promoted Parker, i certainly didn’t expect him to be a Kyle Shanahan like OC year 1.

I’m bullish on Freeman and Parker for 2024.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Seems like you feel that ND underachieved, and you enjoy telling everyone “told you so”. Constant negativity. Are you a fan?

The season was certainly imperfect, but the program is on the rise. 10-3 is improvement vs last year, and we can handle ourselves in Top-10 matchups.

When they hired Freeman, i knew he’d make mistakes and I knew we’d lose a few games early that we should win. I also knew he’d likely change the culture. That’s all happened.

When they promoted Parker, i certainly didn’t expect him to be a Kyle Shanahan like OC year 1.

I think everybody here is a true fan. But some are more frustrated than others and post accordingly. I don't think anybody means any harm.

As always, I sure hope so. But I honestly am not feeling it, meaning a playoff and deep title run. As I posted earlier, I think ND can be solid. A top 20, fighting for a top 15.

I can and hope to be wrong, but I think Freeman and Parker are, as many say, learning on the job. Meaning learning some of the fundamentals of head and OC coaching. In a way that Lou Holtz didn't have to, as he came with significant enough HC experience, as well as showing glimmers of talent...whereas BKelly didn't in a similar context.

ND seems in a bit of a transition. Defense for sure. QB too. A lot of factors seem up in the air to further complicate things. Again...I'd love to be wrong and see some dramatic turn around.

My sense is this is a 3-5 year journey to build a deep run playoff team, if it can be one. It's situational. And is what it is.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
I think everybody here is a true fan. But some are more frustrated than others and post accordingly. I don't think anybody means any harm.

As always, I sure hope so. But I honestly am not feeling it, meaning a playoff and deep title run. As I posted earlier, I think ND can be solid. A top 20, fighting for a top 15.

I can and hope to be wrong, but I think Freeman and Parker are, as many say, learning on the job. Meaning learning some of the fundamentals of head and OC coaching. In a way that Lou Holtz didn't have to, as he came with significant enough HC experience, as well as showing glimmers of talent...whereas BKelly didn't in a similar context.

ND seems in a bit of a transition. Defense for sure. QB too. A lot of factors seem up in the air to further complicate things. Again...I'd love to be wrong and see some dramatic turn around.

My sense is this is a 3-5 year journey to build a deep run playoff team, if it can be one. It's situational. And is what it is.
The experience thing is overrated

Hey…..if you would, elaborate on the defensive transition you mentioned

Spot on.

It seems the bar is 10 wins at ND. I believe the program overall is on the rise and headed in the right direction. ND is one play away from a news day 6 bowl.
One of my biggest worries is MF gets hired away from ND before he gets chance to fulfill a five year period.
I believe lot of the defense will be back next year and the offense will be better just get pasted A&M and ND has FSU.

This team definitely underachieved this season. And to say they almost beat a 'great' OSU team, that's absolutely laughable. There are no great teams this year, including OSU. This year's OSU team is probably the worst in at least 6 or 7 years, despite being unbeaten. And they have a very average QB to boot. If there was any year ND could have made a legitimate run at the NC, this was the year. They didnt though. As usual, gotta look ahead to next year.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Exactly. He's a nice guy, and an OK head coach. But nobody is going to beat the doors down here trying to hire him away.
You mean beating the doors down to hire a guy like Jimbo Fisher? Lincoln Riley? Need I go on?

It's always easy to infer we could get someone better.

This team definitely underachieved this season. And to say they almost beat a 'great' OSU team, that's absolutely laughable. There are no great teams this year, including OSU. This year's OSU team is probably the worst in at least 6 or 7 years, despite being unbeaten. And they have a very average QB to boot. If there was any year ND could have made a legitimate run at the NC, this was the year. They didnt though. As usual, gotta look ahead to next year.
I call 11 wins great regardless of subjective evaluation (I’d at least classify 11 wins as a great season — and I probably wouldn’t call a 11-2 Group of 5 team great). Right now there are 10 out of 131 teams that have 1 or less losses. OSU is 1 of 5 undefeated teams out of 131. That’s top 4% of teams…

That’s why I said Louisville is good to great. They already have 10 wins and 3 games left. Good team.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23

Come on. I’ve been an Irish fan for ages. A frustrated Irish fan but I assure you, I am a ND fan! My granddad graduated ND. My pop was born on the campus known as Vetsville. It was a section for returning WW2 vets. I believe it’s now where married students live.

I think ND did ok. Brian Kelly year? Should finish 9-3 regular season. I’m rooting for MF to go undefeated next season. Next year will be year 3. Every coach who won a Natty @ ND did so in year 3. Let’s see what happens.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Come on. I’ve been an Irish fan for ages. A frustrated Irish fan but I assure you, I am a ND fan! My granddad graduated ND. My pop was born on the campus known as Vetsville. It was a section for returning WW2 vets. I believe it’s now where married students live.

I think ND did ok. Brian Kelly year? Should finish 9-3 regular season. I’m rooting for MF to go undefeated next season. Next year will be year 3. Every coach who won a Natty @ ND did so in year 3. Let’s see what happens.
Fair enough. I didn’t mean to take a shot.

Your right- next season is huge. Offensive Coordinator, QB, OL, WR…..a ton of decisions to be made. Gotta get ‘em right.

Hey…..if you would, elaborate on the defensive transition you mentioned

I think many on the defense are seniors and that many are pro eligible if they want to try. I'm thinking younger players will therefore feature more. I read about some of this in The Athletic.

By who? You leave ND for maybe 5-6 other gigs. Maybe less.
I asked the same question about Brian Kelly for years. Finally I got an answer as LSU wanted him. But that was after several top 5 finishes. Freeman is nowhere near that and doesn't generate the hype that leads some people to ignite 100 million. I expect Deon Sanders to get a better job before MF gets poached.

Fair enough. I didn’t mean to take a shot.

Your right- next season is huge. Offensive Coordinator, QB, OL, WR…..a ton of decisions to be made. Gotta get ‘em right.
I’m gonna change up my answer. Did Vegas have us @ 8.5 win total? 9 wins would exceed what the sharps predicted. Like a lot of ND fans especially Holtz & pre Holtz days. We’re waiting for the glory days.

Is the needle pointing up? Yes, provided ND wins the last 2. Getting the home field straight was a great step, really should have been undefeated at home.

The performances, not necessarily the losses on the road were disappointing. I remember in 2021 ND went into V-Tech, who was not great, but at home, at night, with Enter Sandman blasting they were juiced up as could be.

Then when ND ran out onto the field Kurt Hinish sprinted to midfield and started screaming at the V-Tech bench. It was a message “not tonight”

That edge, emotion, intensity was missing on the road. It will be needed going into College Station in 10 months.

The whole we are going on a business trip is fine. But sometimes you gotta carry an attitude that says I’m coming over to your house, and I’m going to kick your ass…ND has the talent to back that up.

Everyone seems to be assuming we win the bowl game n go 10-3.
I see this season as progress. I do not see this season as a success and I put the blame on freeman for losing the OSu game and freeman for hiring Parker and probably keeping him

imo this team can play with and beat any playoff team. So it’s a failure on Parker n freeman

That said, I love freeman but he is risking his reputation with Parker

Last edited:
We played the #3, #10, #20, #21 ranked defenses with a brand new OC (and a new QB.)

We gave OSU the game. Louisville just beat us -- that should have been our one loss. We came our flat vs a very good Clemson defense.

Our defense is #6. Championship level. What could have been. Beat Stanford.

Reactions: francade and Telx1

Agreed IrishMike. I have no idea if having ten players on those last two plays the game resulted in a TD they would not otherwise have scored. Whether they would have scored in two plays from a two yards if we had eleven players on the field is unknown, but I would bet yes.

What we do know is the screen pass that was deflected on our last possession would have gone for a first down and we win the game. Many believe it was perfectly set up to go for a TD. What we do know is we dropped a sure interception on their last drive that would have won the game for us. Better execution on either play and we win. I frigging hated losing that game, but it was college football at its finest…effort…atmosphere…drama….excitement. We more than competed against a top three team, and it was incredibly encouraging after getting our asses kicked in so many top ten matchups in years past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT