ADVERTISEMENT

This 2016 class is scary bad right now

It's unfortunate that this ND football message board has devolved to the extent it has . It's become largely pointless . The catcalls and personal agendas btwn posters has become pathetic in the extreme. The out of control trolling engaged in by the miscreants of other CFBfan bases ie the Tallahassee posse and allowed uncurtailed by site moderators detracts seriously from the intended purpose of this ND fan site. There is no value add to their participation here. So why is it allowed time and again???.. there is no point to discoursing with them. The Nole interlopers who idle themselves here seek a legitimacy by proxy thru this site by association with a first class University and a class football program. Class being an attribute that never has and never WILL be associated with the FSU operation. Memo to the Nole people you can give up the pretense and just accept the fact that while the country as a hole acknowledges the excellence of the FSU football program re. athletic talent and Win / Loss records but few people admire or respect it. On the contrary many folks hate ND and others feel the ND program has become perpetually 2nd tier but whether admitted or NOT they largely RESPECT the ND FB program for what it has been and what it still represents. The Tallahassee visitors to this site fall into that sad group of the disaffected .

Geez. Another new name employed by the board psychopath. Too bad that there is zero moderation on this board. But at least there is the ignore function.

I hv 1 ID. You guys know everything . Most opinions on this board are taken 2 polar extremes with all 2 often personal venom added to the mix as well. I'm into ND football and I belong to ISD as a paying member . I check this place out periodically . I made the mistake of posting at all and posting in the wrong thread. . Pardon me... it's amazing that theoretically we're all fans of the same School and team. It appears to be in theory only. A few guys on here vie for Pollyanna of the year on a daily basis . Other guys seem think BK is the ruination of the program. And an endless debate on the future of 17 yr old football players determined whether they be 3stars or the holy grail of 5 stars goes on endlessly. If the choice is column A is a 5 or 4 star good student and column B is a 3 star . I'll go with Column A every x. Problem is ND for variety of reasons rarely has that choice. It is what is... I'll let you guys talk amongst yourselves uninterrupted. And I'll check back once in a while to see if there any edifying or constructive thoughts offered. Or it may serve as good humor to read the juvenile rantings certain posters who masquerade as grown men while demonstrating the consequences of delayed adolescence .

2016 5 star CA LB Caleb Kelly will be in south bend from august 2-4 with his head coach according to him. his coach and irish assistant coach denbrock have had a really long friendship with each other so hopefully that helps our irish. the coaches are trying to get him in for an official for the texas or usc game. hope this makes some that are down on recruiting right now happy because we really got a shot here if he likes his visit

Reactions: cbsippola
If you believe a 5 star should at least start for three seasons and be a dominant player - then you could say Gunner Kiel, Ishaq Williams (Hopefully this year is a breakout year for him) and Greg Bryant (too early to say bust, but he hasn't set the world on fire yet.)

Gunner is doing quite well.
Ishaq seems to lack the fire.
Bryant ... Ricky Williams syndrome.

Getting more 5 stars raises the probability of getting a dominant player. All three of thos mentioned would probably figure large in ND's plans this season...if

Gunner is doing quite well.
Ishaq seems to lack the fire.
Bryant ... Ricky Williams syndrome.

Getting more 5 stars raises the probability of getting a dominant player. All three of thos mentioned would probably figure large in ND's plans this season...if

At least 2/3 would (will) be backups, and perhaps all 3

That said, you're right that a randomly selected 5* has a much better chance if being good than a randomly selected 3*...orders of magnitude better, in fact

What you miss though, is the fact that these players aren't randomly selected and it is possible to identify players who are good but recruiting services have as a 3* for whatever
(As Kelly, Meyer, Saban, Harbaugh, Miles, ect. all believe they did with Eichenberg...and many other prospects)

Just read on another site that of last years NFL first round draft picks... 8 were 5 stars(1 in top 12 picks) 7 were 4 stars and 16 were 3 stars ,and 1 was a 1 star. Those ranking these high school kids aren't professional talent evaluators.

If you look at percentages the meaning of those numbers change. 8/32 5* were drafted round 1, 16 /1000 were 3* were drafted round 1.

Here are the 3 star or less recruits at ND since 2011 --basically the recruits BK is 100% responsible for:

2011 (name/rivals rating):
Josh Atkinson, 5.7
Everett Golson, 5.7 (starter)
Chase Hounshell, 5.7
Tony Springmann, 5.7
Jarrett Grace, 5.7 (starter/2 deep)
Anthony Rabasa, 5.7
Conor Hanratty, 5.6
Cam McDaniel, 5.6 (2 deep)
Brad Carrico, 5.6
Nick Martin, 5.6 (starter)
Jalen Brown, 5.5
Matthias Farley, 5.5 (2 deep)

2012:
Mark Harrell, 5.7
Romeo Okwara, 5.7 (2 deep)
Nicky Baratti, 5.7
Justin Ferguson, 5.7
Chris Brown, 5.7 (2 deep)
CJ Prosise, 5.5 (2 deep)
John Turner, 5.5

2013:
Colin McGovern, 5.7
Jacob Matuska, 5.7
Rashad Kinlaw, 5.7
Michael Deeb, 5.7
Durham Smythe, 5.7 (2 deep)
Devin Butler, 5.7 (2 deep)

2014 (outside of Luatua none of these guys really count -- at most notre dame level programs they would have redshirted but were forced to play out of necessity due to really bad depth along the DL)

Grant Blankenship, 5.7
Kolin Hill, 5.7
Drue Tranquill, 5.7
Andrew Trumbetti, 5.7
Daniel Cage, 5.7
Tyler Luatua, 5.7 (2 deep)
Jonathan Bonner, 5.6
Jhonathon Williams, 5.5
Pete Mokwuah, 5.5
Greer Martini, 5.5

To summarize:

+ in the last 4 full recruiting classes COMBINED, Notre Dame has unearthed only 2-3 starters (1 of which who has defected the program). No stars or even solidly above average players in this group.

This 2016 class so far, has 10 of its 13 players comprised of 3 star or less talent. This is not going to get it done at Notre Dame.

And before people start comparing Oregon (the only team in the entire nation who is able to compete with this level of mediocre recruiting), Oregon got beat bad by a team stacked with 4 & 5 star talent, and has a very unique scheme, and coaching staff that knows how to maximize it. Oregon is a CLEAR aberration (an exception to the rule). Brian Kelly is no Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich
agree with chaseball, unless things change dramatically, this is starting to look like willingham redux

Do you realize some of these "so called" 2 - 3 star athletes are rated as such because they came into the scene late? Maybe they were playing another sport in conjunction with football, their school didn't reach out to the recruiting services, they didn't participate in camps BY choice, the kid didn't respond to interview requests, etc. (I imagine JJ Watt fell into one of these categories). Every year it seems that the recruiting services focus on a handful of players (just because everyone else is) and before you know it, these chosen athletes rise in ranks. So, to say 5.8 grade athletes are usually starters at ND as opposed to 5.7 athletes is absurd! My point is, each athlete is like a nicely wrapped present - you don't what's inside until you open it.

Do you realize some of these "so called" 2 - 3 star athletes are rated as such because they came into the scene late? Maybe they were playing another sport in conjunction with football, their school didn't reach out to the recruiting services, they didn't participate in camps BY choice, the kid didn't respond to interview requests, etc. (I imagine JJ Watt fell into one of these categories). Every year it seems that the recruiting services focus on a handful of players (just because everyone else is) and before you know it, these chosen athletes rise in ranks. So, to say 5.8 grade athletes are usually starters at ND as opposed to 5.7 athletes is absurd! My point is, each athlete is like a nicely wrapped present - you don't what's inside until you open it.
Rationalization - whatever works.

Three, four, or five star guys, these recruits are pretty much all very talented athletes who are used to being stars at every level they play. But once they hit college, very few guys - including the five stars - can just sit back and rely on their talent. It becomes work. I hope the guys we're recruiting really love to play football, love to compete, and don't get discouraged when their hard work fails to translate into immediate playing time.

Reactions: wamgurl
Three, four, or five star guys, these recruits are pretty much all very talented athletes who are used to being stars at every level they play. But once they hit college, very few guys - including the five stars - can just sit back and rely on their talent. It becomes work. I hope the guys we're recruiting really love to play football, love to compete, and don't get discouraged when their hard work fails to translate into immediate playing time.

Right! There are too many variables to consider. I give your comment 5 stars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT