ADVERTISEMENT

This 2016 class is scary bad right now

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Here are the 3 star or less recruits at ND since 2011 --basically the recruits BK is 100% responsible for:

2011 (name/rivals rating):
Josh Atkinson, 5.7
Everett Golson, 5.7 (starter)
Chase Hounshell, 5.7
Tony Springmann, 5.7
Jarrett Grace, 5.7 (starter/2 deep)
Anthony Rabasa, 5.7
Conor Hanratty, 5.6
Cam McDaniel, 5.6 (2 deep)
Brad Carrico, 5.6
Nick Martin, 5.6 (starter)
Jalen Brown, 5.5
Matthias Farley, 5.5 (2 deep)

2012:
Mark Harrell, 5.7
Romeo Okwara, 5.7 (2 deep)
Nicky Baratti, 5.7
Justin Ferguson, 5.7
Chris Brown, 5.7 (2 deep)
CJ Prosise, 5.5 (2 deep)
John Turner, 5.5

2013:
Colin McGovern, 5.7
Jacob Matuska, 5.7
Rashad Kinlaw, 5.7
Michael Deeb, 5.7
Durham Smythe, 5.7 (2 deep)
Devin Butler, 5.7 (2 deep)

2014 (outside of Luatua none of these guys really count -- at most notre dame level programs they would have redshirted but were forced to play out of necessity due to really bad depth along the DL)

Grant Blankenship, 5.7
Kolin Hill, 5.7
Drue Tranquill, 5.7
Andrew Trumbetti, 5.7
Daniel Cage, 5.7
Tyler Luatua, 5.7 (2 deep)
Jonathan Bonner, 5.6
Jhonathon Williams, 5.5
Pete Mokwuah, 5.5
Greer Martini, 5.5

To summarize:

+ in the last 4 full recruiting classes COMBINED, Notre Dame has unearthed only 2-3 starters (1 of which who has defected the program). No stars or even solidly above average players in this group.

This 2016 class so far, has 10 of its 13 players comprised of 3 star or less talent. This is not going to get it done at Notre Dame.

And before people start comparing Oregon (the only team in the entire nation who is able to compete with this level of mediocre recruiting), Oregon got beat bad by a team stacked with 4 & 5 star talent, and has a very unique scheme, and coaching staff that knows how to maximize it. Oregon is a CLEAR aberration (an exception to the rule). Brian Kelly is no Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich

Last edited:
Big time recruits are convinced this will be Brian Kelly last season at ND

Here are the 3 star or less recruits at ND since 2011 --basically the recruits BK is 100% responsible for:

Josh Atkinson, 5.7
Chase Hounshell, 5.7
Tony Springmann, 5.7
Anthony Rabasa, 5.7
Conor Hanratty, 5.6
Brad Carrico, 5.6
Jalen Brown, 5.5

2012:
Mark Harrell, 5.7
Nicky Baratti, 5.7
Justin Ferguson, 5.7
CJ Prosise, 5.5 (2 deep)
John Turner, 5.5

2013:
Colin McGovern, 5.7
Jacob Matuska, 5.7
Rashad Kinlaw, 5.7
Michael Deeb, 5.7

2014 (outside of Luatua none of these guys really count -- at most notre dame level programs they would have redshirted but were forced to play out of necessity due to really bad depth along the DL)

Grant Blankenship, 5.7
Kolin Hill, 5.7
Drue Tranquill, 5.7
Andrew Trumbetti, 5.7
Daniel Cage, 5.7
Jonathan Bonner, 5.6
Jhonathon Williams, 5.5
Pete Mokwuah, 5.5
Greer Martini, 5.5

To summarize:

+ in the last 4 full recruiting classes COMBINED, Notre Dame has unearthed only 2-3 starters (1 of which who has defected the program). No stars or even solidly above average players in this group.

This 2016 class so far, has 10 of its 13 players comprised of 3 star or less talent. This is not going to get it done at Notre Dame.

And before people start comparing Oregon (the only team in the entire nation who is able to compete with this level of mediocre recruiting), Oregon got beat bad by a team stacked with 4 & 5 star talent, and has a very unique scheme, and coaching staff that knows how to maximize it. Oregon is a CLEAR aberration (an exception to the rule). Brian Kelly is no Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich

Thank the lord for NDs 5 star guys Max and Greg.. Killing it. Will you think differently of this class if 4-5 guys get they coveted 4th star? Aka Corey Robinson and Will Fuller. Cage, Trumbetti and Martini will be in the 2-deep, possibly Tranquil. Believe Farley started on a top 10 defense in the country. Don't disrespect these guys.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Thank the lord for NDs 5 star guys Max and Greg.. Killing it. Will you think differently of this class if 4-5 guys get they coveted 4th star? Aka Corey Robinson and Will Fuller. Cage, Trumbetti and Martini will be in the 2-deep, possibly Tranquil. Believe Farley started on a top 10 defense in the country. Don't disrespect these guys.
Offense will start two " 3 " star recruits - Procise and Robinson although I think Robinson got his 4th star his senior yr

Defense will start 1 ( Schmidt )

There will be three kids that ND has commitments from that will get their " coveted " 4 th star

Where is 35 ?? This board really blows

Another poor OP from a poster that has made poor OPs a habit for several years.

Let's go through his list and be accurate.

Josh Atkinson, 5.7
Chase Hounshell, 5.7
Tony Springmann, 5.7 (2 deep before career ending injury. Ask MSU how good he might have become.)
Anthony Rabasa, 5.7
Conor Hanratty, 5.6 (2 deep last year)
Cam McDaniel, 5.6 (2 deep and started several games)
Brad Carrico, 5.6
Jalen Brown, 5.5
Matthias Farley, 5.5 (2 deep and starter for part of 2012)

2012:
Mark Harrell, 5.7
Romeo Okwara, 5.7 (2 deep and starter for part of last year. May start this year.)
Nicky Baratti, 5.7
Justin Ferguson, 5.7
Chris Brown, 5.7 (2 deep and starter most of last year)
CJ Prosise, 5.5 (2 deep and starter for most of last year. Ask LSU how good he is.)
John Turner, 5.5

2013:
Colin McGovern, 5.7
Jacob Matuska, 5.7
Rashad Kinlaw, 5.7
Michael Deeb, 5.7

2014 (outside of Luatua none of these guys really count -- at most Notre Dame level programs they would have redshirted but were forced to play out of necessity due to really bad depth along the DL)

Grant Blankenship, 5.7
Kolin Hill, 5.7
Drue Tranquill, 5.7
Andrew Trumbetti, 5.7 (2 deep)
Daniel Cage, 5.7
Jonathan Bonner, 5.6
Jhonathon Williams, 5.5
Pete Mokwuah, 5.5
Greer Martini, 5.5

To summarize:

+ in the last 4 full recruiting classes COMBINED, Notre Dame has unearthed only 2-3 starters (1 of which who has defected the program). Golson, Hanratty, McDaniel, Farley, Okwara, Brown and Prosise have started. That is seven, not 2-3.

No stars or even solidly above average players in this group. I don't think there is a team in college football that would turn down Brown or Prosise. Golson transfered to FSU, not Florida International. Okwara and Farley have certainly been solid and have another year to prove what they can do.

This 2016 class so far, has 10 of its 13 players comprised of 3 star or less talent. This is not going to get it done at Notre Dame. Again wrong. Two or more services have Claypool, Bopudreaux, Eichenberg, Okwara, Jones and Cramer as four stars or higher. That is seven players ranked as 4 stars or higher on two or more rating services. Love is rated as the number 1 player from the state of Illinios, but is a three star nationally. Also, only one of the players is a two star - the long snapper. All others are three star or higher.

And before people start comparing Oregon (the only team in the entire nation who is able to compete with this level of mediocre recruiting), Oregon got beat bad by a team stacked with 4 & 5 star talent, and has a very unique scheme, and coaching staff that knows how to maximize it. Oregon is a CLEAR aberration (an exception to the rule). Brian Kelly is no Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich. This paragraph is just silly, again what we have come to expect over the years from chase.

Another poor OP from a poster that has made poor OPs a habit for several years.

Let's go through his list and be accurate.

Josh Atkinson, 5.7
Chase Hounshell, 5.7
Tony Springmann, 5.7 (2 deep before career ending injury. Ask MSU how good he might have become.)
Anthony Rabasa, 5.7
Conor Hanratty, 5.6 (2 deep last year)
Cam McDaniel, 5.6 (2 deep and started several games)
Brad Carrico, 5.6
Jalen Brown, 5.5
Matthias Farley, 5.5 (2 deep and starter for part of 2012)

2012:
Mark Harrell, 5.7
Romeo Okwara, 5.7 (2 deep and starter for part of last year. May start this year.)
Nicky Baratti, 5.7
Justin Ferguson, 5.7
Chris Brown, 5.7 (2 deep and starter most of last year)
CJ Prosise, 5.5 (2 deep and starter for most of last year. Ask LSU how good he is.)
John Turner, 5.5

2013:
Colin McGovern, 5.7
Jacob Matuska, 5.7
Rashad Kinlaw, 5.7
Michael Deeb, 5.7

2014 (outside of Luatua none of these guys really count -- at most Notre Dame level programs they would have redshirted but were forced to play out of necessity due to really bad depth along the DL)

Grant Blankenship, 5.7
Kolin Hill, 5.7
Drue Tranquill, 5.7
Andrew Trumbetti, 5.7 (2 deep)
Daniel Cage, 5.7
Jonathan Bonner, 5.6
Jhonathon Williams, 5.5
Pete Mokwuah, 5.5
Greer Martini, 5.5

To summarize:

+ in the last 4 full recruiting classes COMBINED, Notre Dame has unearthed only 2-3 starters (1 of which who has defected the program). Golson, Hanratty, McDaniel, Farley, Okwara, Brown and Prosise have started. That is seven, not 2-3.

No stars or even solidly above average players in this group. I don't think there is a team in college football that would turn down Brown or Prosise. Golson transfered to FSU, not Florida International. Okwara and Farley have certainly been solid and have another year to prove what they can do.

This 2016 class so far, has 10 of its 13 players comprised of 3 star or less talent. This is not going to get it done at Notre Dame. Again wrong. Two or more services have Claypool, Bopudreaux, Eichenberg, Okwara, Jones and Cramer as four stars or higher. That is seven players ranked as 4 stars or higher on two or more rating services. Love is rated as the number 1 player from the state of Illinios, but is a three star nationally. Also, only one of the players is a two star - the long snapper. All others are three star or higher.

And before people start comparing Oregon (the only team in the entire nation who is able to compete with this level of mediocre recruiting), Oregon got beat bad by a team stacked with 4 & 5 star talent, and has a very unique scheme, and coaching staff that knows how to maximize it. Oregon is a CLEAR aberration (an exception to the rule). Brian Kelly is no Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich. This paragraph is just silly, again what we have come to expect over the years from chase.

and that is why Lou Holts said, 'you cannot make a living trying to find that diamond in the rough';
You need a blend of top tier players mixed in. (some of those players that are mentioned as 'starters' on that list started inplace of starters missing or suspended)

This post also somewhat explains the 8-4; and the 12-0 which featured several top tier recruits and a superstar.
It will not be a popular post

I
DISAGREE re this class being scary 'bad' ; so far it is undetermined.

Last edited:
Will Fuller, Jaylon Smith, Sheldon Day, Jaron Jones, Nyles Morgan, Isaac Rochelle, Andrew Trumbetti, Tori Hunter, Malik Zaire, Corey Robinson, Quenton Nelson, Ronnie Stanley, Max Redfield, Elijah Shumate, Cole Luke, Nick Watkins, Nick Martin, Brandon Wimbush, Steve Elmer, Mike McGlinchey, Corey Holmes, Durham Smyth, Tler Luatua, Chris Brown, T. Folston, Greg Bryant, Jay Hayes, Kavarei Russel. Dishone Kizer, Alex Bars, Amir Carlisle. Cj Procise, CJ sanders, Alize Jones,Tevon Coney, Daniel Cage, Nick Coleman, Justin Brent,Tristin Hoge, and many other top athletes.
Perse smokes Crack.

I remember Chase ball saying 3 star CJ Procise was a 3 star who would amont to nothing on numerous occasions.

Again Perse gets all giddy making fun of Notre Dames athletes and he knows nothing.

Reactions: Pennick4
looking at a post re Ade on Scout, and I wonder how a follower of ND football can still post in comparison with Jhonny Williams that Williams was 6'6? If your going to post a critique then why not know what your critiquing?
Williams was not 6'6. Ade is taller, longer, bigger...whatever adjective one wishes to use. Oye.

Last edited:
re; recruiting rankings explaining 8-4 ????????

Golson gets suspended in 2013

2014 - 7-0 got cheated @ FSU to go 8-0 then defense got gutted with injuries

To people who have not competed like purse 24 K it is easy to sit at a computer while scratching his balls and make sweeping judgments based on come computer ranking of recruiting classes .

Golson plays in 2013 different ball game

Schmidt , Grace , Russel , Williams, Day , Jones , Daniels play healthy and or not suspended in 2014 we don't lose a game

Now Purse 24k and Chase go back to the basement and get on your computers and jerk off over who a handful of 30 yr old nit wits think are 3 and 4 star players

Lol... chase starts a thread and perse takes the blame...

Bodi: did you stop and pick up Continually's laundry on you way in?

And dammit can you get him to teach you to read? How in heck can you post intelligently if you can't read?
I think that and being his bit#% is among your shortcomings!

ANYONE, anyone that follows this board knows I know a helluva lot more about recruiting than you! But heck that ain't really to much of a challenge!

Last edited:
can we all just get along without bashing each other people. I post here less and less because of all the constant bashing. you can disagree with someone without bashing them

In what world is Nick Martin not a "solidly above average player"??

He's project to be on of the top centers in college football this year and a high round draft pick

Some of the top "3* Starters" in last few years:

Zach Martin - all American, 4 year starter, 1st round pick, all pro as a rookie
(Was a 3* at this point during the rankings of his class. Eventually bumped to an I ranked 4*)

Tyler Eifert - All American, Mackey Award winner, 1st Round pick

Harrison Smith - All American, 1st Round NFL Draft pick, 3 year starter
(Was a 3* at this point during the rankings of his class. Eventually bumped to an I ranked 4*)

Nick Martin - 2 year starter, potential all American, potential high round NFL Draft pick

Bennett Jackson - 2 Year starter, 5th Round NFL pick

CJ Prosise - 2 Yea Starter, potential NFL draft pick

Andrew Trumbetti - Started games as a true frosh on the D-Line. Will likely be a multi-year starter and impact player

Cory Robinson - Started as a sophomore, #2 WR, potential high round NFL Draft pick

Mathias Farley - 3 year starter, potential NFL Draft pick

Jarrett Grace - Starter, led team in tackles (when healthy)

Joe Schmidt - Starter, voted defensive MVP by the team

Everett Golson - 2 year starter, potential all American, potential NFL Draft Pick

Tommy Reese - 2 year stater

Romeo Okwara - 2-Year starter

Cam McDaniels - Starter

Chris Brown - Starter

James Onwaulu - Starter

And that's not a comprehensive list (at all) and just going back a few seasons

Not to mention that there are several teams beyond Oregon having top level success with primarily 3* (lower recruits)

Michigan State
Stanford
TCU
Baylor
Wisconsin
etc.

Notre Dame will never have primarily lower level recruits (and this class won't end up that way) but some programs do make that work

The key is finding the right 3*s, that for what you want to do, and developing them

This is something has been doing and can really do more of at ND moving forward

can we all just get along without bashing each other people. I post here less and less because of all the constant bashing. you can disagree with someone without bashing them

COOL

make note, I NEVER fire the 1st shot; an argument is always someone else's choice.

well pers i'm all for people disagreeing with one another because a board can get boring when we all agree with everything but there's just different posters in general on here that can't disagree with others about a subject without bashing them and i'm not talking any one certain poster

How many 3* players were in Oregon and Ohio State's line ups in last years championship game?

aT LEA
Lol... chase starts a thread and perse takes the blame...

Bodi: did you stop and pick up Continually's laundry on you way in?

And dammit can you get him to teach you to read? How in heck can you post intelligently if you can't read?
I think that and being his bit#% is among your shortcomings!

ANYONE, anyone that follows this board knows I know a helluva lot more about recruiting than you! But heck that ain't really to much of a challenge!

Purse, At least you are fighting your own battles now (except Sal your lawyer will try to give you a hand once in a while). You used to always cry like a little girl to your boyfriend WAX---Wax you got mail . Lol Wax you got mail---everyone is picking on me !

*** Purse you are not a man. You are a rat.

I have posters insult me once in a while but I never try and rat them out.
And you say you are from New Jersey. What a joke.

Reactions: end_23
Tyler Eifert played in the celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe this weekend. NBC put him on TV one ****ing time in three days. Kelly played too. Maybe I missed it but he didn't get on TV at all. It's time to drop NBC and sign a deal with the devil- espn.

Tyler Eifert played in the celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe this weekend. NBC put him on TV one ****ing time in three days. Kelly played too. Maybe I missed it but he didn't get on TV at all. It's time to drop NBC and sign a deal with the devil- espn.
We're either one of them in contention?

if we are going to talk about scary bad...lets talk about the free board since the forum update.
no 35
banned morons return
the sky is falling reigns supreme

this is undoubtedly the worst ND fan board around at the moment. I appreciate those that still post ND fan news and hope things turn around soon.

Josh Atkinson, 5.7
Chase Hounshell, 5.7
Tony Springmann, 5.7
Anthony Rabasa, 5.7
Conor Hanratty, 5.6
Brad Carrico, 5.6
Jalen Brown, 5.5

2012:
Mark Harrell, 5.7
Nicky Baratti, 5.7
Justin Ferguson, 5.7
CJ Prosise, 5.5 (2 deep)
John Turner, 5.5

2013:
Colin McGovern, 5.7
Jacob Matuska, 5.7
Rashad Kinlaw, 5.7
Michael Deeb, 5.7

Grant Blankenship, 5.7
Kolin Hill, 5.7
Drue Tranquill, 5.7
Andrew Trumbetti, 5.7
Daniel Cage, 5.7
Jonathan Bonner, 5.6
Jhonathon Williams, 5.5
Pete Mokwuah, 5.5
Greer Martini, 5.5

To summarize:

Who let chasing brains out of his Mom's basement?

if we are going to talk about scary bad...lets talk about the free board since the forum update.
no 35
banned morons return
the sky is falling reigns supreme

this is undoubtedly the worst ND fan board around at the moment. I appreciate those that still post ND fan news and hope things turn around soon.

well there may be a sky is falling crowd to offset the dilusional 'rainbow' coalition !
realitically
reasonable fans the offensive recruiting is as good as ND gets
the problems are on defense. For quite some time, recruiting DL has been problematic. Tuitt and Lynch were rarities and from a productivity point of view 2 elite players garnered 1 outstanding year. Nix had 1 good year and mailed it in the 2nd year. Since that time, through last season, 1 DL recruit had a rating as a prospect that was 5.9.
Defensive line recruiting is the area that is the weak link; and we know the weakest link analogy.

thought i'd make some of you happy today. wiltfong thinks we get 4 star 2016 CA ATH Damian Alloway after he visits at the end of this month and plus our irish have several 4 and 5 star players visiting within these next two weeks and some visiting during the season. some of you worried about a crappy class just need to take a deep breath relax and see how things go with all of these 4 and 5 star kids when they visit

thought i'd make some of you happy today. wiltfong thinks we get 4 star 2016 CA ATH Damian Alloway after he visits at the end of this month and plus our irish have several 4 and 5 star players visiting within these next two weeks and some visiting during the season. some of you worried about a crappy class just need to take a deep breath relax and see how things go with all of these 4 and 5 star kids when they visit

Yup; and you were on line last night when I posted that. I think it was in reply to Izo.

actually I didn't read your post pers and if I posted the same info then sorry. I don't read every thread and every post by everybody so I probably missed what you posted

It wasn't the exact same info but he did say he thought ND would take Alloway and that would close RB out leaving EH out.

actually I didn't read your post pers and if I posted the same info then sorry. I don't read every thread and every post by everybody so I probably missed what you posted

no no, I am fine and glad you added to it! maybe someone will read it now!

Player development is more important then star rating but it is easier to develop better players quicker. The 5 star player at certain positions can come in and play right away . USC has guys like Adoree Jackson and Juju Smith that make coaches look really smart . ND has guys like Procise and Fuller . Both players needed some time to develop but are now expected to be big contributors. What disturbs me with BK recruiting is jumping the gun on some guys so early that really do not pan out and losing guys like Vanderdoes etc . These losses hurt . All-in- all BK does a decent job recruiting but will never match USC, Bama, or OSU . He competes but rarely wins those recruiting battles outside the OL. I hope that Denson develops the RB because they need to get better RB's every year. I was never impressed with Alford at all. Zaire and Wimbush should develop under new QB coach as well and the Oline has good quality and seems to be getting better in the 2-deep. Player development is there whats the difference between a 3 or 4 star ? Not much . The elite 5 star RB is needed badly but everywhere else on the offense appears to be as good as anyone in the country. As for the Defense . That's another story.

It's unfortunate that this ND football message board has devolved to the extent it has . It's become largely pointless . The catcalls and personal agendas btwn posters has become pathetic in the extreme. The out of control trolling engaged in by the miscreants of other CFBfan bases ie the Tallahassee posse and allowed uncurtailed by site moderators detracts seriously from the intended purpose of this ND fan site. There is no value add to their participation here. So why is it allowed time and again???.. there is no point to discoursing with them. The Nole interlopers who idle themselves here seek a legitimacy by proxy thru this site by association with a first class University and a class football program. Class being an attribute that never has and never WILL be associated with the FSU operation. Memo to the Nole people you can give up the pretense and just accept the fact that while the country as a hole acknowledges the excellence of the FSU football program re. athletic talent and Win / Loss records but few people admire or respect it. On the contrary many folks hate ND and others feel the ND program has become perpetually 2nd tier but whether admitted or NOT they largely RESPECT the ND FB program for what it has been and what it still represents. The Tallahassee visitors to this site fall into that sad group of the disaffected .

How in the hell did this turn into a post attacking FSU? Must be a new moniker for you know who.

Not a new Moniker. I didn't realize the strict protocols followed here since every thread is full of a lot of bullcrap. I've posted here for a while months ago but got tired of the bs that goes on here over and over ... u guys are very protective of your self created franchise here . I apologize for intruding . I thought this was a free message board ... trolls from other fan bases are welcomed open arms but ND football fans are dispatched summarily for violating the sanctity of the titled Thread. In reading these threads they rarely stick to the topic but instead become food fights . As far as 2016 recruiting when you hv the underperformance of 2013 and 2014 this is what you get. To expect anything different is as delusional as the Continuity Irish character expecting a 12-0 season. The only thing BK has done well is recruit. 5 star DL s from SEC territory aren't lining up to freeze their asses off in Northern Indiana where academic work is req. We have a bad hand to play this year after an 8-5 season and the staff is playing as best they can. I actually think this yr ends up pretty well recruiting wise with a good yr on the field. Good being 10-2 and no worse than 9-3 with a Bowl win. Anything worse and bottom falls out and 2017 and 2018 etc will be uphill struggles to put classes in top 20 let alone top 10.

ADVERTISEMENT