ADVERTISEMENT

The path to the playoff is still alive...BUT...

The crowd is on the minority. Most real ND fans don't want to join a conference
True.

Why be no different than Minnesota, Rutgers, or Iowa.

The mere thought of nine Big 10 games annually gives me nausea.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ND is heroine to real fans. We can’t ever quit it even when it’s killing us. You wouldn’t know what it’s like bc you’re a closet USC fan and Bud Light drinker.
I'm a Bud Light drinker. Bud Light Platinum at least. Not a fan of boycotts. Because where does it end?
This is correct. Aside from ND winning out, you want OSU to go undefeated, taking one playoff slot while blowing out PSU and Michigan.

You want to blow out USC and for USC to go 12-1 taking the PAC.

And you want chaos everywhere else. As many two loss plus teams as possib
Yes

Im not seeing a path.
ACC: FSU has a good chance of running the table. Duke & Miami at home & end in the swamp.
Think Miami has to hard a path but still in it.
Pac12 has 4 teams with good shots Wash, USC, Oregon, Utah
Big12 Both Oklahoma & Texas with legit shots to go 12-1
SEC lets be honest they arent getting left out
B1G 1 of the 3 of PSU, OSU Mich.
It just doesnt look good.
SPOT-ON.

This is correct. Aside from ND winning out, you want OSU to go undefeated, taking one playoff slot while blowing out PSU and Michigan.

You want to blow out USC and for USC to go 12-1 taking the PAC.

And you want chaos everywhere else. As many two loss plus teams as possible.
TALL ORDER.

You didn't give OSU Squat, they earned the victory down to the last second.
Did they earn the dropped interception we had near the end?

Did they earn the 50 less rushing yards?

Did they earn
the 10 minutes less T.O.P ?

They didn't win the game. We lost the game.

I've been here a long time and don't make excuses.
We choked on our guts. Without question. Not ready to win big yet.

OSU didn't win. We lost.

The final score says otherwise but make no mistake we lost that game more than OSU won it.

P.s.
Ryan Day might be the biggest clown in college football. Possibly even worse than Brian Kelly.

Did they earn the dropped interception we had near the end?

Did they earn the 50 less rushing yards?

Did they earn
the 10 minutes less T.O.P ?

They didn't win the game. We lost the game.

I've been here a long time and don't make excuses.
We choked on our guts. Without question. Not ready to win big yet.

OSU didn't win. We lost.

The final score says otherwise but make no mistake we lost that game more than OSU won it.

P.s.
Ryan Day might be the biggest clown in college football. Possibly even worse than Brian Kelly.
Lookie at you you little Cherry Picker. OSU had more passing yards, more total yards, high efficiency % on 3rd down, rushed for a higher avg, more total plays and higher gained avg per play. OSU had a couple of picks that they dropped. Nice try, Junior! OSU won the game, ND did not lose it!

Now...

We have to root for PSU and Michigan.

We NEED them both beat OSU.

Obviously we can't falter along the way as well but we need OSU to lose twice. At least.

PSU and Michigan will play each other and hopefully one of those gets upset by someone else.

Losing control of your own destiny is irritating and this game was extra bad because OSU didn't beat us. We gave them a victory.
1 loss teams make the playoffs every year! ND is the best of any team on the remaining schedule!

1 loss teams make the playoffs every year! ND is the best of any team on the remaining schedule!
Might be...

But from the metric of?

Navy?
Tenn state?
NC State?
Central Michigan?

The lone tough battle we had was a loss.

OSU metric is even worse.
IU?
Youngstown State?
WKU?
The lucky win against us...

Four week from now things will look mighty different of all teams.

• Haha
Reactions: albundy83
Lookie at you you little Cherry Picker. OSU had more passing yards, more total yards, high efficiency % on 3rd down, rushed for a higher avg, more total plays and higher gained avg per play. OSU had a couple of picks that they dropped. Nice try, Junior! OSU won the game, ND did not lose it!
I would say, given what you've both pointed out, that OSU WON THE GAME, even as ND LOST IT -- in SURPRISINGLY EQUAL MEASURE.

I've seen few college footbal games in my long lifetime where the teams felt more EQUALLY MATCHED.

ND stops OSU on that last play, and nothing else but the score changes. Each side still has its statistical and anecdotal advantages.

What each side accomplished equated to a POTENTIALLY WINNABLE OUTCOME.

But, in fact, OSU WON BY A YARD AND A SECOND.

That's a pretty slim difference which could have EASILY gone the other way, whereas the rest of the game was like an EXTREMELY CLOSELY SCORED PRIZE FIGHT.

What I saw out there were two excellent teams playing extremely well with neither side enjoying a significant advanatage, something the score, as it happened, CORROBORATED.

OUTSTANDING college football.

Last edited:
Now...

We have to root for PSU and Michigan.

We NEED them both beat OSU.

Obviously we can't falter along the way as well but we need OSU to lose twice. At least.

PSU and Michigan will play each other and hopefully one of those gets upset by someone else.

Losing control of your own destiny is irritating and this game was extra bad because OSU didn't beat us. We gave them a victory.
I think the opposite. I think we need OSU to go undefeated and put a hurt on both PSU and M***.

Also need to beat USC and have them end up PAC-12 champs.

SEC has already pretty much made themselves a 1-bid league with so many non-con losses by the West teams.

Then just need at least one of Big 12 or ACC to not have undefeated team.

Still quite a longshot though.

Of course it all starts with beating Duke. They may have the best defense ND will face the rest of the season.

You can’t ignore ND’s failure to run three consecutive North-South running plays and the calamitous failure to field 11 defenders on the last two plays.

But the game is over and OSU got the W

Last edited:
I would say, given what you've both pointed out, that OSU WON THE GAME, even as ND LOST IT -- in SURPRISINGLY EQUAL MEASURE.

I've seen few college footbal games in my long lifetime where the teams felt more EQUALLY MATCHED.

ND stops OSU on that last play, and nothing else but the score changes. Each side still has its statistical and anecdotal advantages.

That's a pretty slim difference which could have EASILY gone the other way, whereas the rest of the game was like an EXTREMELY CLOSELY SCORED PRIZE FIGHT.

What I saw out there was two excellent teams playing extremely well with neither side enjoying a significant advanatage, something the score, as it happened, CORROBORATED.

......."But, in fact, OSU WON BY A YARD AND A SECOND" AND A MAN SHORT ON THE OPPOSING DEFENSE.........

USC is beatable. They only play playoff football on one side of the ball.

Duke or Clemson may prove to be tougher games.
Yes, USC MAY be beatable. I agree. But their receiving corps is a kind of quick-strike track team, and for that reason, I'd expect the game to be rated close to a tossup. In which case, anything can happen.

As for Duke and Clemson, TOUGHER GAMES than what? USC? Hell, I hope not, but, again, you could be right. What I'd say to that is that whether or not they're tougher than USC, they're certainly TOUGH ENOUGH. And both could beat ND, given what Duke has SHOWN and what Clemson traditionally HAS, especially at home.

That's why I see beating all three as a TALL ORDER. Sure, it could happen, and maybe it will, but I could just as easily see ND WINNING two of three or LOSING two of three. To me, it's going to depend as much on whether or not ND can learn from its OSU mistakes, make fewer of them and FINISH.

Many of the losses that killed coaches from Brennan to Faust to Davie to Weis were the result of ND FAILING TO FINISH games it could have won. Once that starts happening, it can SNOWBALL.

Everyone talks of there being plenty of football left. There is. But I see it as extremely TOUGH football.

Yes, USC MAY be beatable. I agree. But their receiving corps is a kind of quick-strike track team, and for that reason, I'd expect the game to be rated close to a tossup. In which case, anything can happen.

As for Duke and Clemson, TOUGHER GAMES than what? USC? Hell, I hope not, but, again, you could be right. What I'd say to that is that whether or not they're tougher than USC, they're certainly TOUGH ENOUGH. And both could beat ND, given what Duke has SHOWN and what Clemson traditionally HAS, especially at home.

That's why I see beating all three as a TALL ORDER. Sure, it could happen, and maybe it will, but I could just as easily see ND WINNING two of three or LOSING two of three. To me, it's going to depend as much on whether or not ND can learn from its OSU mistakes, make fewer of them and FINISH.

Many of the losses that killed coaches from Brennan to Faust to Davie to Weis were the result of ND FAILING TO FINISH games it could have won. Once that starts happening, it can SNOWBALL.

Everyone talks of there being plenty of football left. There is. But I see it as extremely TOUGH football.

Did you catch any of the replay of the USC-Arizona State game? It might give you a bit more hope.

I think USC will have 2 regular season losses this year.

Did you catch any of the replay of the USC-Arizona State game? It might give you a bit more hope.

I think USC will have 2 regular season losses this year.
Yes, I did, and, yes, USC looks CONCEIVABLY beatable.

Plus, it's rare for them to come into ND and light things up. Happened one year to Kelly and, of course, there was the infamous OJ Simpson game and a couple of Pete Carroll blowouts. But that's it. South Bend is a tough place for them. From 39 to 67 they won ZERO games there.

So, for the most part, USC either wins close games at ND or doesn't win at all.

Yes, I did, and, yes, USC looks CONCEIVABLY beatable.

Plus, it's rare for them to come into ND and light things up. Happened one year to Kelly and, of course, there was the infamous OJ Simpson game and a couple of Pete Carroll blowouts. But that's it. South Bend is a tough place for them. From 39 to 67 they won ZERO games there.

So, for the most part, USC either wins close games at ND or doesn't win at allL
LR’s friendship with the DC is a problem, the DC needs to be fired or reassigned. The Defensive roster has some talent w/size but poorly poorly coached! These 2 sentences are the reason ND wins going away!

What I saw out there was two excellent teams playing extremely well with neither side enjoying a significant advanatage, something the score, as it happened, CORROBORATED.

Agree 100%!

Reactions: 4-4-3
I think Ohio State going undefeated helps a LOT. Both Michigan and Penn St had a weak OOC schedule so that puts more pressure on them going undefeated. But those three could easily go 1-1 vs the other two schools, so you have to assume a tie breaker vs ND the B1G wins, and a close loss by Ohio State could get 2 B1G teams in, so you have to have Ohio State win out.

Florida State's remaining schedule is pretty soft, so you would assume they go undefeated, although they have struggled a bit and could trip up

Assume, unless LSU, Alabama and UAG just fall apart, you know that they will NEVER leave out the SEC even if the conference is WAY down this year.

Big 12 is not overly strong, so you assume that the winner of Red River will go.

ND's best show, along with an Ohio State win out is to have the PAC cannibalize itself and come out with a 2 loss champion, which as deep as they are this year is possible.

Reactions: mbd11
I think Ohio State going undefeated helps a LOT. Both Michigan and Penn St had a weak OOC schedule so that puts more pressure on them going undefeated. But those three could easily go 1-1 vs the other two schools, so you have to assume a tie breaker vs ND the B1G wins, and a close loss by Ohio State could get 2 B1G teams in, so you have to have Ohio State win out.

Florida State's remaining schedule is pretty soft, so you would assume they go undefeated, although they have struggled a bit and could trip up

Assume, unless LSU, Alabama and UAG just fall apart, you know that they will NEVER leave out the SEC even if the conference is WAY down this year.

Big 12 is not overly strong, so you assume that the winner of Red River will go.

ND's best show, along with an Ohio State win out is to have the PAC cannibalize itself and come out with a 2 loss champion, which as deep as they are this year is possible.
PAC12: 2 loss champ is more likely than an undefeated champ

LR’s friendship with the DC is a problem, the DC needs to be fired or reassigned. The Defensive roster has some talent w/size but poorly poorly coached! These 2 sentences are the reason ND wins going away!
I hope you're right. But WHO KNOWS?

Lou Holtz had ND beating OSU by TEN.

Which is why I NEVER make predictions. I can't TRULY be objective.

I think the opposite. I think we need OSU to go undefeated and put a hurt on both PSU and M***.

Also need to beat USC and have them end up PAC-12 champs.

SEC has already pretty much made themselves a 1-bid league with so many non-con losses by the West teams.

Then just need at least one of Big 12 or ACC to not have undefeated team.

Still quite a longshot though.

Of course it all starts with beating Duke. They may have the best defense ND will face the rest of the season.
That can work too....

But it won't happen.

OSU is not beating both PSU and Michigan this year.

PSU and Michigan play and one loses.

We NEED HELP...and that sucks

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Im not seeing a path.
ACC: FSU has a good chance of running the table. Duke & Miami at home & end in the swamp.
Think Miami has to hard a path but still in it.
Pac12 has 4 teams with good shots Wash, USC, Oregon, Utah
Big12 Both Oklahoma & Texas with legit shots to go 12-1
SEC lets be honest they arent getting left out
B1G 1 of the 3 of PSU, OSU Mich.
It just doesnt look good.
Let the season play out, People talk about this every year around this time of who's going to get left out and then chaos starts to ensue with upsets and teams knocking each other out. If ND and OSU run the table ND will have the best loss of any of the top teams and wins over a couple of top 25 teams.

And some say USC could be the 4th best team in the PAC 10

And some say USC could be the 4th best team in the PAC 10
And still beat ND.

But I sure hope ND isn't looking past Duke. Yesterday, I watched the highlights to each of its four victories.

THEY HAVE PLAYMAKERS.

Two excellent RB's. Speedy receivers and return men. And a QB who is 6'4" and has elements of both Trevor Lawrence and Caleb Williams. Also reminds me of Cincinnati's QB from a couple of years ago. Thing is, HE DOESN'T GO DOWN EASILY.

The D held Clemson to one TD and has given up few points to the other much weaker teams they've played, but they PLAY SMART and with ENERGY. They've also been lucky, capitalizing on a number of GAME CHANGING turnovers, particularly against Clemson. Point is, though, they've capitalized on them.

If ND is not emotionally prepared to play after what happened last week, Duke could suprise.

To me, it's a PIVOTAL GAME. The great fast-starting ND teams have recovered from tough losses, but lesser ones have often TAILSPUN the rest of the way. Either way, I expect an extremely REVEALING contest.

Getting back to USC, Duke could also provide a window into how ND will match up against teams that can make plenty of big plays. In many ways, Duke and USC are cut from the same cloth. Duke may not be as good as USC, but they have weapons galore and can strike fast.

If you're interested, check out the videos.

And still beat ND.

But I sure hope ND isn't looking past Duke. Yesterday, I watched the highlights to each of its four victories.

THEY HAVE PLAYMAKERS.

Two excellent RB's. Speedy receivers and return men. And a QB who is 6'4" and has elements of both Trevor Lawrence and Caleb Williams. Also reminds me of Cincinnati's QB from a couple of years ago. Thing is, HE DOESN'T GO DOWN EASILY.

The D held Clemson to one TD and has given up few points to the other much weaker teams they've played, but they PLAY SMART and with ENERGY. They've also been lucky, capitalizing on a number of GAME CHANGING turnovers, particularly against Clemson. Point is, though, they've capitalized on them.

If ND is not emotionally prepared to play after what happened last week, Duke could suprise.

To me, it's a PIVOTAL GAME. The great fast-starting ND teams have recovered from tough losses, but lesser ones have often TAILSPUN the rest of the way. Either way, I expect an extremely REVEALING contest.

Getting back to USC, Duke could also provide a window into how ND will match up against teams that can make plenty of big plays. In many ways, Duke and USC are cut from the same cloth. Duke may not be as good as USC, but they have weapons galore and can strike fast.

If you're interested, check out the videos.
I agree and was not downplaying USC but just the fact how strong the PAC 12 was their final time with this group.
It's possible ND might meet up with one of the other three

Last edited:
Reactions: 4-4-3
We’re back in the top 10 and I see us moving up when the firstCFP ranking comes out. As long as we keep winning , we have a real good chance at grabbing a spot in the playoff.

Reactions: NDinNJ
We’re back in the top 10 and I see us moving up when the firstCFP ranking comes out. As long as we keep winning , we have a real good chance at grabbing a spot in the playoff.
Still gonna need some help. I dont think the committe will put us in over a 1 loss conf champ. ACC is the only I can see them doing it too but if FSU goes 12-1 its gonna be tough
Need Pac 12 to eat itself & have a 2 loss conf champ.
Need Texas & Oklahoma to stumble. They got Red River this week & hopefully the loser drops a game & the winner stumbles once. Then the rematch the 2 loss team wins.
SEC West looks like it could hace a 2 loss division champ & I could see A&M or Bama upsetting Georgia in SEC Champ game.
B1G seems to top heavy for an upset. At worse either PSU, Mich, OSU is a 1 loss champ.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT