ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking down the current AP Top 10 (Pretenders vs Contenders)

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
RKTEAM
1Georgia(55) Contender - schedule sets up well if they get past UT. Team will be lead by the D
2Michigan(2) Pretender - year in and year out weakest schedule of top 10. They gear up for 1 game a year. PED State could upset them.
3Florida State(3) Pretender - They beat LSU, but it took a self implosion. Don't see this team staying top 10.
4Texas(2) Contender - With Quinn Ewers the offense looks dynamic. The D seems suspect. Prevent that 1 poop the bed game.
5USC Contender - The offense is going to put up video game number points. ND/Utah back to back weekends will be tough.
6Ohio State Pretender - Not sold on the offense, but like Michigan they'll sleep walk until Thanksgiving weekend unless PED State shows up.
7Penn State Pretender - Same boat as Michigan/OSU. Big Ten is weak. Win against UM & PSU and prove me wrong
8Washington Pretender - Have no clue why they are rated so high
9Notre Dame Contender - ND finally has a signal caller that can sling it. OSU game will dictate the rest of the season.
10Alabama Contender - Bama got it's mulligan against UT. Actually have a tough SEC schedule, but they talented and deep.

What say you?

The only pretenders I predict are USC (no defense) and Bama (no offense). The rest all have a shot.

Washington is rated so high because they have a Heisman candidate QB.

And Georgia has an easier regular season schedule than any other top ten team.

Last edited:
There's no elite team this year. All of those top 10 teams are contenders. If things break right I can see any of them making a run

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Ohio State Pretender - Not sold on the offense, but like Michigan they'll sleep walk until Thanksgiving weekend unless PED State shows up.

Ohio St. is going to sleep walk through ND?

The only pretenders I predict are USC (no defense) and Bama (no offense). The rest all have a shot.

And Washington is rated so high because they have a Heisman candidate QB.

And Georgia has an easier regular season schedule than any other top ten team.

Agreed on the pretenders

Personally I think FSU and Penn State are the best 2 I've seen-----and I cannot stand either one.

RKTEAM
1Georgia(55) Contender - schedule sets up well if they get past UT. Team will be lead by the D
2Michigan(2) Pretender - year in and year out weakest schedule of top 10. They gear up for 1 game a year. PED State could upset them.
3Florida State(3) Pretender - They beat LSU, but it took a self implosion. Don't see this team staying top 10.
4Texas(2) Contender - With Quinn Ewers the offense looks dynamic. The D seems suspect. Prevent that 1 poop the bed game.
5USC Contender - The offense is going to put up video game number points. ND/Utah back to back weekends will be tough.
6Ohio State Pretender - Not sold on the offense, but like Michigan they'll sleep walk until Thanksgiving weekend unless PED State shows up.
7Penn State Pretender - Same boat as Michigan/OSU. Big Ten is weak. Win against UM & PSU and prove me wrong
8Washington Pretender - Have no clue why they are rated so high
9Notre Dame Contender - ND finally has a signal caller that can sling it. OSU game will dictate the rest of the season.
10Alabama Contender - Bama got it's mulligan against UT. Actually have a tough SEC schedule, but they talented and deep.

What say you?
Some of those teams haven't played anyone good yet, so it's hard to tell. But I don't think Alabama's a contender this year. They got thoroughly outplayed by Texas. I could see them dropping a few more games in the SEC.

I don’t. Believe in UGA. QB will struggle against a good D. The only reason they will have a shot is the schedule is crap.

What’s nice is that a few years after NIL, it some of the top teams are more evenly matched. We have been so used to knowing the 4 playoff teams after week 2. This is good for college football.

Too early to tell.

But on my eye test, so far I like: Notre Dame, FSU, Miami, Georgia, USC, Utah, Texas, and Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT