ADVERTISEMENT

The Brian Kelly Offensive Mind

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
LINK

This is a huge article and will take some time to read. But 'most' of what I saw was well written, and thought out.

LINK

This is a huge article and will take some time to read. But 'most' of what I saw was well written, and thought out.

I skimmed the first chart where 45 stats were accumulated over 5 years. We were ranked in the top 10 once out of 45, in the top 20 4 times including the top 10, 40 and ovef 22 times, over 100 4 times....... pretty putrid....

It shows why 8-5 has been the new normal so far. Lets see if running the dam ball helps this year.

It shows why 8-5 has been the new normal so far. Lets see if running the dam ball helps this year.

The author lists the Red Zone TD rankings which are miserable.

Here are some other RZ & scoring numbers:

Red Zone Conversions Rank:

2010 54
2011 88
2012 73
2013 79
2014 82

Scoring Offense:

2010 66
2011 49
2012 80
2013 74
2014 40

You first must stop the bleeding before you can build a sustainable program. The program is back to reloading talent rather than building it. It's a nightmare for me after living through the Era of Ara (9 top 10 finishes out of 11 seasons and 2 NCT). I can't even imagine the shock of those who lived through the Frank Leahy Era. It's hard to imagine an entire class going through ND without seeing the team lose once. Those like 35 who actually lived during the Rockne Dynasty; the past 21 years must be pure hell on earth. The bright side is the roster is back in good shape and we wait for August 5th and Texas. I don't see Coach Kelly falling under 8-5 at ND so I don't see ND firing him. I really think at this point the only NFL team that could get Coach Kelly away from ND is the New England Patriots. You never know though.(?) I want to see Coach Kelly take ND to the next plain before he leaves or retires. I've seen to many failed hirings over the past 51 years. I'm sick of 8-5 and 9-4 seasons. Come on Coach!

Speaking of sustainable win streaks at ND: Bedrock age that laid the foundation of the program 1906-1917. Thomas Barry (2), Victor Place (1), Frank Longman (2), John Marks (2), and Jesse Harper (5). These foundation layers went 78-8-6 with 5 undefeated teams and 6 one lose teams. Jesse Harper had the only 2 lose team during that time in 1914 (6-2). These coaches laid a tradition of winning that Knute Rockne built upon. The Rockne Streak: 1919-1924 and 1929-1930....74-3-1. The Frank Leahy Streak: 1941-1943,1946-1949, and 1952-53....76-5-6. Era of Ara 1964-1966 and 1973-1974....46-5-2. Lou Holtz Streak: 1988-1989 and 1991-1993....55-6-1.
You certainly make some excellent points - You can easily see why ND was the GOLD STANDARD of CFB - GO IRISH - Return to Glory.

The things I have noticed especially here about being a Notre Dame fan.

Many of us remember much, much better days. Rather those were Ara, Frank, or Lou. And long for them back
So many of us have been so disillusioned with the hires in the last 20 years, and the ability for ND to shoot themselves in the foot. That we as a fandom always are awaiting the other shoe to drop
Many of the fans from yesteryear that are still around believe that winning today, is similar to winning back then. Before the demographic of the country changed, and before other rules such as roster limits, recruiting restrictions and others.

Looking at college football as a whole. I think more people should really enjoy the run that 2012 was. Being undefeated in D1 P5 football anymore is near next to impossible. And almost always requires a little luck of some sort. Look at FSU a couple of years ago. They had a couple of close calls. Look at Bama in their 3 year run. They had undefeated teams that had to have a delay of game penalty, or a field goal block to save a game.

There is such a parity in college football today. That it is next to impossible for any school. Let alone a little private school in Northern Indiana to 'own' their schedule and bring home a title. I hate the 9 win seasons as much as anyone. But I can see why it happens. There are just so many things that have to fit together just right to get past that and into the title game.

Sorry but the writer lost any credibility, so I discard everything he said, when he rates Kelly a 6.0 in QB Development. On a kind day he deserves a 3.0.

The writer lost credibility with who? You? How many college football QB's have you coached? Certainly some with the stones to assign a QB development ranking for a coach of the stature of Brian Kelly must of developed a ton of big time Quarterbacks?

Reactions: Bodizephax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT