ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Angeli QB Committed Irish!

I think Coan is a better QB than Book based on his junior film at Whiskey...better pocket presence and better throwing over the middle and better with over the top throws. That said, we may be pining for Book and his escapability if our inexperienced offensive line doesn’t gel pretty quickly into the season.
Coan really better than Book? I hope you’re right. Does it matter to anyone here that Book won 30 games?

Coan really better than Book? I hope you’re right. Does it matter to anyone here that Book won 30 games?

Of course it doesn't. But irrespective of any haters vs homers type of nonsense, in my opinion at least, and perhaps I'm dead wrong about this, is that we're going to really miss Book.... Whatever his failings and flaws, our offense was productive with him as starting QB. And that sort of production does not grow on trees.

But Coan certainly seems like a competent, quality journeyman type QB if nothing else. Someone you can win with. Quite frankly I liken him to Phil Jurkovec in a sense. And that's funny because if PJ had simply stayed and not transferred he presumably would have walked into the starting lineup as Book's natural replacement. Apparently Coan does not possess the effortless downfield arm strength of PJ, but is smoother and better with the intermediate to shorter stuff, which I sort of felt made PJ a questionable fit for our offense.

So I'm hoping Coan can be nearly as productive as Book in a workmanlike fashion. Assuming he wins the job of course!

Reactions: tbonesays
ND winning 30 games is books wins? But when ND offense failed mightily vs good defenses it was the teams fault not books?

Book had 2 huge strengths. Didn't turn the ball over much at all, and could get crucial 3rd downs with his legs. Those two strengths led to a lot of wins vs teams we were favored against, none or maybe 1 when we weren't the favorite.

Yes, but like I said, we’ll be wishing we had Book back there if the OL doesn’t provide him the kind of protection last year’s OL gave Book.

In all seriousness, all 'hater' BS aside, we were pretty close this year, or closer than we've ever been. We beat Clemson the first time. And the loss to Bama was not so bad. I definitely felt like we belonged. We're not at that level yet, quite clearly. But we're knocking on the door!

#5 is better than #15 but we were not close to close to Bama or a full strength Clemson.

And I forgot that Coan has two years of eligibility, thanks to coronavirus. So if he really pans out he could stay two years. Which is interesting, because I was pretty much thinking one and done, as a normal grad transfer. But if he does great, and we get double digit wins again, there might be a temptation to use that bonus eligibility.

I have high hope for Coan in any case, and I'm really putting my eggs in that basket as a fan who's definitely hoping to stay in playoff contention somehow.

If Coan pans out in 2021 then he would be crazy not to declare for the draft.

#5 is better than #15 but we were not close to close to Bama or a full strength Clemson.

We definitely are. Definitely getting substantially closer. However.... I wouldn't expect a hater like yourself to sympathize with that.

And rather than unload a string of invective upon you I'll just leave it at that.

We definitely are. Definitely getting substantially closer. However.... I wouldn't expect a hater like yourself to sympathize with that.

And rather than unload a string of invective upon you I'll just leave it at that.
I'm not a hater of anything but bad planning. I try to associate my opinions with actual facts.

We're getting closer, yes. Doesnt mean we were pretty close to Alabama last year. We weren't.

We also got smoked by Clemson when they were full strength.

We have come a long way. We are a top 7 team the last 4 years. We're still a good ways away from top 3 though.

Reactions: irish4life88
We're getting closer, yes. Doesnt mean we were pretty close to Alabama last year. We weren't.

We also got smoked by Clemson when they were full strength.

We have come a long way. We are a top 7 team the last 4 years. We're still a good ways away from top 3 though.

Fine, fine.... Have it your way. Bama>>>ND

Of course it doesn't. But irrespective of any haters vs homers type of nonsense, in my opinion at least, and perhaps I'm dead wrong about this, is that we're going to really miss Book.... Whatever his failings and flaws, our offense was productive with him as starting QB. And that sort of production does not grow on trees.

But Coan certainly seems like a competent, quality journeyman type QB if nothing else. Someone you can win with. Quite frankly I liken him to Phil Jurkovec in a sense. And that's funny because if PJ had simply stayed and not transferred he presumably would have walked into the starting lineup as Book's natural replacement. Apparently Coan does not possess the effortless downfield arm strength of PJ, but is smoother and better with the intermediate to shorter stuff, which I sort of felt made PJ a questionable fit for our offense.

So I'm hoping Coan can be nearly as productive as Book in a workmanlike fashion. Assuming he wins the job of course!
No question we’ll miss Book. He won 30 games and brought stability to the position that we haven’t seen since Clausen or maybe Quinn. I said it in September- too many here take Book for granted. Yes, he was limited, but he was damn consistent.

No question we’ll miss Book. He won 30 games and brought stability to the position that we haven’t seen since Clausen or maybe Quinn. I said it in September- too many here take Book for granted. Yes, he was limited, but he was damn consistent.
His 30 wins and consistency notwithstanding, he played the best game of his life when we beat Clemson, a game I will long remember and cherish as one of our GREAT wins...something we‘ve missed for decades.

Reactions: IrishMike409
His 30 wins and consistency notwithstanding, he played the best game of his life when we beat Clemson, a game I will long remember and cherish as one of our GREAT wins...something we‘ve missed for decades.
I was super stoked for weeks after that game but part two made us realize that was a farse.

I was super stoked for weeks after that game but part two made us realize that was a farse.
Understand the sentiment, but cannot disagree more. The game was played at an extremely high level before a Great TV audience with emotions and level of effort running high on both teams. In and of itself, it was a GREAT win, and a great upset! But it was an upset, meaning we beat a better team, their freshman QB playing notwithstanding. The better team showed up and we didn’t in the playoffs, but that doesn’t relegate our win and our upset to farse status.

Understand the sentiment, but cannot disagree more. The game was played at an extremely high level before a Great TV audience with emotions and level of effort running high on both teams. In and of itself, it was a GREAT win, and a great upset! But it was an upset, meaning we beat a better team, their freshman QB playing notwithstanding. The better team showed up and we didn’t in the playoffs, but that doesn’t relegate our win and our upset to farse status.
My take - DJ was not at all a running threat so ND was able to pin their ears back rushing him and focusing on Etienne. DJ threw the ball amazing, but if you can't run it, it still held them back. Trevor's ability to run alone was a MASSIVE difference from game 1 to game 2. They were able to control the ball with ease, where as they had to hit big pass plays in game 1.

On D, clemson was without a significant number of starters/contributors.

Great game, great atmosphere (as good as you could). But I can't pretend that we played an elite team that night. Remember, Boston College almost and should have beat Clemson at CLemson the week before we beat them. Clemson when we played them vs game 2 was two completely different teams.

The dog killer still owns space in nasty’s small brain. & he must’ve done something more than just run over his dog, the vitriol for a really good player is as strange as you can get. Get over it, you were wrong about him from day one. He made you look dumb and you keep double and tripling down on the idiotic notion that he held us back in some way. He was the a huge reason for two undefeated regular seasons and you’re still ripping into the guy after he’s gone. Get a life.

Reactions: savvyandsassier
My take - DJ was not at all a running threat so ND was able to pin their ears back rushing him and focusing on Etienne. DJ threw the ball amazing, but if you can't run it, it still held them back. Trevor's ability to run alone was a MASSIVE difference from game 1 to game 2. They were able to control the ball with ease, where as they had to hit big pass plays in game 1.

On D, clemson was without a significant number of starters/contributors.

Great game, great atmosphere (as good as you could). But I can't pretend that we played an elite team that night. Remember, Boston College almost and should have beat Clemson at CLemson the weak before we beat them. Clemson when we played them vs game 2 was two completely different teams.
Agree that Lawrence’s running ability had a dramatic impact on game two. But we disagree as to the quality of team we beat in game one. I’ll give you that they weren’t the number 1 or 2 team in the country that night with the starters they were missing, but clearly within the top 5 in my opinion. Wish you were still stoked by the memory of that night; I am!

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
Agree that Lawrence’s running ability had a dramatic impact on game two. But we disagree as to the quality of team we beat in game one. I’ll give you that they weren’t the number 1 or 2 team in the country that night with the starters they were missing, but clearly within the top 5 in my opinion. Wish you were still stoked by the memory of that night; I am!
Still stoked on how awesome of a night that was, but I also don't feel it's appropriate stating we beat the number 1 team in the country that night.

Reactions: Telx1
The dog killer still owns space in nasty’s small brain. & he must’ve done something more than just run over his dog, the vitriol for a really good player is as strange as you can get. Get over it, you were wrong about him from day one. He made you look dumb and you keep double and tripling down on the idiotic notion that he held us back in some way. He was the a huge reason for two undefeated regular seasons and you’re still ripping into the guy after he’s gone. Get a life.
Book was absolutely a big part of ND going undefeated two regular seasons, i've never stated differently. Just as he was a big part of the offense being pitiful in the 3 biggest games of his career.

His skill set and mental make up allowed us to consistently beat inferior opponents. Something ND has struggled at times to consistently do. On the flip side........ well we all know that story.

Reactions: Golson5
Book was absolutely a big part of ND going undefeated two regular seasons, i've never stated differently. Just as he was a big part of the offense being pitiful in the 3 biggest games of his career.

His skill set and mental make up allowed us to consistently beat inferior opponents. Something ND has struggled at times to consistently do. On the flip side........ well we all know that story.
I want to move on from the topic, but @home vs Clemson was certainly one of the 3 biggest games of his career. ND/Kelly/Book had to win that game.

Buchner has missed two of the last three seasons between covid and injury. And by your logic, if he’s “as good as advertised” we would only expect to have him for three years not 4. Assuming a redshirt, we would still have 3 years of eligibility for Angeli after that.

Buchner will struggle. No way you make the jump from such a low level of California Football, skipping your senior year and having an ACL issue.

Yes, Book has had his moments no doubt. He's also had the benefit of playing some much weaker schedules then other QB's. Sadly Book was pretty consistent against ranked teams also. Books record against opponents that finished ranked in the Top 25, Top 15 and Top 10 are 3-3, 1-2 and 1-4.

Yes and that's an OK record if you compare it with QB's who aren't on Clemson , OSU or Bama.

Ian Book was OK----he wasn't elite----he wasn't bad----he was a pretty good QB skill wise who had excellent leadership skills and if we're going to take the final step we need a level above that at QB.

Reactions: Golson5
Yes, Book has had his moments no doubt. He's also had the benefit of playing some much weaker schedules then other QB's. Sadly Book was pretty consistent against ranked teams also. Books record against opponents that finished ranked in the Top 25, Top 15 and Top 10 are 3-3, 1-2 and 1-4.
Book also made an NFL team‘s 53 man roster !

No minor accomplishment there !

Can't disagree with you there. He shocked a lot of people including myself. Good for him and I hope he wins a sb ring!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT