ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Angeli QB Committed Irish!

Great prospect ! He had to love seeing Ian Book leading the Irish to a great win against # 1 Clemson and all the praise Ian got from the press after the game !
Welcome to the Irish ! An Angeli from heaven who will lead the Irish to the Promised land !
Is he a beast?

I'm glad this kid committed, and I don't want to throw cold water on this, but what happened to all of the hype around Buchner? Buchner is supposed to be the guy to lead the Irish to the promised land, or so we've been told. And now, he may not beat out Jack Coan for the starting job this upcoming season. So what gives? It seems to me Notre Dame has two or three of the same caliber QB prospects on campus now in Pyne, Buchner and Coan with another one committed in '22. None of them are of the caliber that blow anyone away, and none of them appear to be the type of player who is going to be able to get ND a playoff win much less a national championship. If Buchner was as good as advertised, you wouldn't be taking Coan in as a transfer. If Buchner was as good as advertised, you wouldn't be jumping up and down about this guy's commitment because Buchner would be penciled in as the starter for the next four years. How come the shine is off of Buchner already?

I'm glad this kid committed, and I don't want to throw cold water on this, but what happened to all of the hype around Buchner? Buchner is supposed to be the guy to lead the Irish to the promised land, or so we've been told. And now, he may not beat out Jack Coan for the starting job this upcoming season. So what gives? It seems to me Notre Dame has two or three of the same caliber QB prospects on campus now in Pyne, Buchner and Coan with another one committed in '22. None of them are of the caliber that blow anyone away, and none of them appear to be the type of player who is going to be able to get ND a playoff win much less a national championship. If Buchner was as good as advertised, you wouldn't be taking Coan in as a transfer. If Buchner was as good as advertised, you wouldn't be jumping up and down about this guy's commitment because Buchner would be penciled in as the starter for the next four years. How come the shine is off of Buchner already?
How can you not want an 5th year Rose Bowl QB coming into camp to compete regardless if the true freshman who hasn’t played in two years is ready to go day one?

Even if Buchner turns out to be fantastic why wouldn’t we still be excited by another terrific QB prospect with a top end arm agreeing to compete in that same qb room? How are you disappointed by this?

Trevor Lawrence wasn’t even penciled in to start game one of his freshman year. That hasn’t seemed to take any shine off him?

I don’t know if any shine is off Buchner. We could have landed Trevor Lawrence and Kelly would have made the move for Coan. That’s Kelly. I wouldn’t read into it that Buchner is not all that. I would sooner think Kelly is never comfortable with new. He likes a worn shoe

What are you talking about, are you drunk? Because you sound drunk. These sound like the unduly frustrated ravings of someone who's enjoying a little bit of the hops this evening. Which is fine, good for you if you are.

In any case, nothing has changed, Tyler Buchner is still the messianic QB of the future who will finally lead us to the promised land, or at least that narrative still holds. It's just that this Angeli kid actually committed today and that's why we're talking about it, quite naturally. However I will say that for myself, I love this commit. I hadn't watched his vids until today, even though he was obviously our top target for this whole time, and now that I have I am sold on the dude. Or at least genuinely stoked. Most of the board doesn't seem to think too much of him but I think they're wrong. I haven't been this stoked about a QB commit since, I guess Buchner.

And so to recap, there's no reason to be trippin', Coan will probably start next year, and then presumably Buchner from there. So everything is still right on schedule, and you got nothing to worry about my good man!

I don’t know if any shine is off Buchner. We could have landed Trevor Lawrence and Kelly would have made the move for Coan. That’s Kelly. I wouldn’t read into it that Buchner is not all that. I would sooner think Kelly is never comfortable with new. He likes a worn shoe

Captain Jack is going to lead the Irish to a National Championship this year. Buchner is going to outdo Jack and win multiple NC'S afterwards.
Brian Kelly is like a worn shoe. 4 out of 5 seasons the Irish have won 10 or more games including two undefeated regular seasons.
The Irish are building a dynasty like college football has never seen. Once the Irish win a NC all the big dogs will fight to come to ND.

Because there is no such thing as too much talent. It's really that simple.

Reactions: Pennick4
I would never expect freshman Buchner to beat out 5th year Jack Coan. Especially when Buchner didn’t have a HS season.

Buchner is going to be fine, but remember- he’s 18.

Buchner has missed two of the last three seasons between covid and injury. And by your logic, if he’s “as good as advertised” we would only expect to have him for three years not 4. Assuming a redshirt, we would still have 3 years of eligibility for Angeli after that.

I would never expect freshman Buchner to beat out 5th year Jack Coan. Especially when Buchner didn’t have a HS season.

Yeah, there's way too much pressure and hype being continuously heaped upon Buchner. He's a good player, he's a top prospect, but we should probably give it a rest. It's gonna start to lose all meaning if it keeps up much longer. And we certainly don't need the soap opera part of it, but I suppose that's unavoidable.

In any event the level of expectation is already approaching self-parody when it comes to Tyler Buchner. Let's just be glad that the program is good enough that even the notion of being just one special player away is something we can reasonably entertain, whether it's Buchner or someone else. BK has already pretty seriously screwed up one QB 'situation' in his time at ND, and things went horribly badly in the wake of it. And presumably most fans also remember the Clausen years, and how disastrous they were, and he was the most hyped, messiah recruit in the entire Rivals.com era.

So you'd think ND fans would know from hard experience to think better of jinxing it by obsessing over the fate of someone like Buchner too relentlessly, but probably not. Hopefully BK is smart and lets the best man win, whether or not Buchner ever plays a down.

Reactions: scubastevefl
Buchner will be a good one. But remember, he's played just ONE SEASON of football in the past three years! I'm very happy to have the experienced Coan lead the Irish this year. He might even have a Joe Burrow/Mac Jones kind of senior year!

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Burrow vs. Coan stats (year before final year...) Mac Jones (below) was a backup:

🔝

Buchner hasn't played in 2 years. I don't think it would be wise to start him day 1. It's not like this new kid is a 5 star. Buchner will be the guy starting in 22.

Reactions: IrishMike409

When has an 18 yr old qb lit the world on fire? I know the answer is not: Powlus I, Quinn, Clausen, Crist, Kiel, Wimbush.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Yeah, there's way too much pressure and hype being continuously heaped upon Buchner. He's a good player, he's a top prospect, but we should probably give it a rest. It's gonna start to lose all meaning if it keeps up much longer. And we certainly don't need the soap opera part of it, but I suppose that's unavoidable.

In any event the level of expectation is already approaching self-parody when it comes to Tyler Buchner. Let's just be glad that the program is good enough that even the notion of being just one special player away is something we can reasonably entertain, whether it's Buchner or someone else. BK has already pretty seriously screwed up one QB 'situation' in his time at ND, and things went horribly badly in the wake of it. And presumably most fans also remember the Clausen years, and how disastrous they were, and he was the most hyped, messiah recruit in the entire Rivals.com era.

So you'd think ND fans would know from hard experience to think better of jinxing it by obsessing over the fate of someone like Buchner too relentlessly, but probably not. Hopefully BK is smart and lets the best man win, whether or not Buchner ever plays a down.
Agreed about the expectation game. Tyler has not really played that much football the last few years. I believe I also read somewhere that the "gurus" worked on changing his throwing mechanics last year.

Agreed about the expectation game. Tyler has not really played that much football the last few years. I believe I also read somewhere that the "gurus" worked on changing his throwing mechanics last year.

Well, it's just, you know.... let's just let things unfold a little first before we get all settled on things. It's only fair. That's all I'm saying.

I'm sticking by my prediction it's going to be Coan. But it seems like it could be any of them, it's that wide open. If anything Buchner definitely seems the least likely to win the job, given not having played as a senior. That's how I feel as of today about it at least. Can't wait for spring!

ND gets Angeli, Penn State gets Drew Allar. Wow did we screw that one up.

If you can't tell I think highly of Allar, and thing Angeli isn't that good.

Reactions: Golson5
ND gets Angeli, Penn State gets Drew Allar. Wow did we screw that one up.

If you can't tell I think highly of Allar, and thing Angeli isn't that good.
Read an article this morning saying Allar ends up at ND without the Yurcich hire by PSU. They didn't even offer him until after the hiring.

Huh ? He had a solid year and their offensive numbers across the board improved.
His passing numbers were almost identical or a little worse. His passer rating was a touch lower. You said every qb he works with gets better. Ehlinger was the same or a touch worse as a5th year. He didn't get better. He stayed exactly the same

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT