ADVERTISEMENT

Spindler

So close, yet so far away. Thats how I've often felt with Kelly's classes.

That's why I always rant about needing elite recruiters. You need 4-5 assistants on staff that are capable of landing 1-2 top 100 kids in any given cycle.

Also, when guys are available and are excellent fits, you have to land some of them... Millum, Tengwall, Rucci, Leigh, Dellinger, Bowers, Fidone, Johnson, Colzie, Thornton, Shipley, Edwards, Carter, Davis Jr, Wright, Denhoff... On top of guys like Buchner, Spindler and Fisher are all ND type kids, many who of whom gave ND a serious look. Land a couple more of them and the overall "energy" surrounding the class is totally different at this point.

Last edited:
I also want to say this on the issue:

I've earned the reputation of a negative nancy over the years who is just railing on BK all the time. But I don't think that's fair. The problem is that the general fan base has such an irrationally high opinion of what is going on with ND football right now that I feel compelled to correct the record. If for nothing else then hopefully to help change the narrative that might lead to change.

I'm a much happier fan than I may lead on around these parts. I love Notre Dame. I love everything the program stands for. I love the memories of college football for years every saturday. I love the image of the leprechaun and interlocking ND logo that i looked up to in awe throughout my adolescent years. I love the green and gold. The classic fight song. Notre Dame stadium.

Notre Dame is a major part of my life. Very few things would make me happier than experiencing another Lou Holtz era (88-93) run--where ND is one of the best teams in the country again. Dominating the national conversation again, the #1 sign lit at the top of grace hall.

We are not going to get back there with business as usual with this head coach though. I am beyond certain of that.

Where's the ND administration enthusiasm for the same?

Either they have settled for decent results, or worse, they are too incompetent to see what we all see. Either way, we desperately need some answers. A LOT of time is starting to add up and it's going to make it that much more difficult to get back on top.
It’s not 1989. The landscape of college football is very different. There are major factors that work against ND and put Kelly and the team at a major disadvantage.

If you haven’t figured that out, then there’s nothing any of us can do for you.

Something that I've talked about in the past is that even the best Weis classes were not loaded with top 100 talent, in the 10 deep sort of way that I think some people thought they were.

Weis' 2006 class finished ranked #5. It had 6 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2007 class finished ranked #6. It had 8 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2008 class finished ranked #2. It had 9 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2009 class finished ranked #15. It had 5 top 100 recruits.

Meanwhile, the most top 100 recruits Kelly has landed in a class is 5, which he's done twice. However, more often than not he's landed about 3-4 top 100 recruits per class, which means he's routinely coming up about 2-3 top 100 recruits short of landing consistant classes inside the top 10. Is that easy? No. Every top 100 kid is a war. Landing them isn't easy... That said, it should be encouraging for everyone, that ND is closer to recruiting at an elite level than some people might think.

2-3 more top 100 recruits per class. Only 1-2 schools are going to land 10+ in a given cycle. You can easy get competitive if you simply land in that 6-7 range. Clemson did!

6 top 100 recruits and another 4-5 recruits in the 101-200 range... If you can repeat that, you can put together one hell of a roster.

We have this thing called an overall class ranking. This formula takes into account everything we've discussed ad naseum. It takes the entire class into consideration, holistically.

Recruiting good classes isn't just a battle of how many top 100 recruits you secure. Each recruit in the top 100 has its own value and so does every recruit outside the top 100 as well. The entire class -- the rating of each individual recruit matters.

We're taking valid data (overall class ranking) and then getting way into the weeds splitting up the information in a way to fit our narrative. e.g. "but look at the per recruit average" .. "but look at how many top 100 recruits we have" "but look at quantity vs quality" .. etc. etc. The overall class ranking shows us exactly how we stack up with the rest of college football though. We don't need to break up the data -- it already makes adjustments for those factors for us.

The class ranking takes into account class size, per recruit quality -- specifically how each recruit in a class ranks -- and then makes adjustments so that class-quantity doesn't have an undue advantage over class-quality.

ND class ranking is 16, 18, 16 the last 2.5 years (and likely to finish worse than that come signing day).

We need to call a spade a spade: Recruiting is in a BAD place right now (has been average to bad over the course of BKs tenure) and only getting worse.

Poor recruiting is the cause of all the problems in the program right now; it's why:
  • ND gets ran off the field so often when they face an elite team.
  • ND can't consistently win vs ranked teams
  • mediocre competition gives ND tight games way too often
  • ND is susceptible to games where nothing goes right and they get blown out badly
  • ND ranks relatively poorly in advanced ranking systems that adjust for strength of schedule and luck
Also, as you know, all top 100 recruits aren't equal. Weis closed on 5 star talent (top 25 guys), high 4 star talent (top 50ish guys), and so did most coaches over the history of Notre Dame football. BK not only fails to recruit enough top 100 guys, but 5 star -- and high 4 star -- talent seem to be appalled by this program.

We've been having debates about failed recruiting classes going back to 2009. You've ALWAYS given BK the benefit of the doubt or slanted the issue in a way that makes light of the situation despite the results over and over confirming my position on this issue.

Sorry to have an exasperated tone, but this rhetoric/view of "we're there, just need another guy or two" is what is probably going through the heads of the ND administration that is about to extend Kelly and keep him firmly entrenched as the head coach at notre dame.

Last edited:
It’s not 1989. The landscape of college football is very different. There are major factors that work against ND and put Kelly and the team at a major disadvantage.

Yes ever since Wadsworth came n forced Lou’s hand it’s been a different Recruiting situation. But. But. The climate is warmer in SB, women are better looking, and the school is still among the best. We have the best coach since Lou and I will make the argument that Admin Reqs are still problematic but not so difficult we can’t land top tier athletes who have good grades —. so the reason we do not land more top players is due to inadequate recruiting. If you doubt this to be the reason then you do not understand how a top salesperson can outsell 95 percent of other salespeople. You also likely don’t think a head coach can make a difference
We need like IIO said, more coaches dedicated to recruiting and rock star recruiters

That's why I always rant about needing elite recruiters. You need 4-5 assistants on staff that are capable of landing 1-2 top 100 kids in any given cycle.

Also, when guys are available and are excellent fits, you have to land some of them... Millum, Tengwall, Rucci, Lea, Dellinger, Bowers, Fidone, Johnson, Colzie, Thornton, Shipley, Edwards, Carter, Davis Jr, Wright, Denhoff... On top of guys like Buchner, Spindler and Fisher are all ND type kids, many who of whom gave ND a serious look. Land a couple more of them and the overall "energy" surrounding the class is totally different at this point.
Well imagine if Kelly had Long, Alford, Elston, Denbrock, Taylor, and Elko right now. All guys who were previously or currently on staff right now. That'd be a good group of recruiters.

You are always trying to slant the issue in a way that makes it seem BK is right on the edge of being a good recruiter or something.

We have this thing called an overall class ranking. This formula takes into account everything we've discussed ad naseum. It takes the entire class into consideration holistically, recruiting good classes isn't just a bad among the top 100. Every recruit counts (at least somewhat).

We're taking valid data (overall class ranking) and then getting way into the weeds splitting it up in a way to fit our narrative. e.g. "look at the per recruit average" .. "look at how many top 100 recruits we have" .. etc. etc. The overall class ranking shows us exactly how we stack up with the rest of college football at the moment.

The class ranking takes into account: class size, per recruit quality specifically how each recruit ranks from 1-25+, the current landscape of college football recruiting, and how ND ranks relative to its peers.

ND class ranking is 16, 18, 16 the last 2.5 years (and likely to finish worse than that come signing day).

We need to call a spade a spade: Recruiting is in a BAD place right now and only getting worse.

Also, as you know, all top 100 recruits aren't equal. Weis closed on 5 star talent. Weis closed on guys that EVERY INSTITUTION went hard after (elite 4 star and 5 star talent). And so did most coaches over the history of Notre Dame football.

BK isn't a total dumpster fire like Ty Willingham on the recruiting trail, so it disguises a bit just how bad ND has been on the recruiting trail in recent years.

We've been having debates about failed recruiting classes going back to 2009. You've ALWAYS given BK the benefit of the doubt or slanted the issue in a way that makes light of the situation despite the results over and over confirming my position on this issue.

Sorry to have an exasperated tone, but this rhetoric/view of "we're there, just need another guy or two" is what is probably going through the heads of the ND administration that is about to extend Kelly and keeping him firmly entrenched as the head coach at notre dame.

BK isn't chasing Weis classes back in 2006 anyway (even though he's nowhere close) he's WAAAY BEHIND the current top dogs in college football. This makes his tenure a failure. This is why ND gets ran off the field by the 3rd quarter almost every single time they get on the big stage and face an elite team.
You're ridiculously clueless

Always excuses. That's all you guys have to offer. How is it that right now, Michigan and Wisconsin and North Carolina and Tennessee are ahead of Notre Dame in the 247 recruiting rankings? Wisconsin and Michigan are both very good academic schools. The climate is the same if not worse. What could be the difference? Maybe better recruiters. Again, how come all of this Kelly success is not leading to Top 5 classes? What the hell is Jeremy Pruitte's record as a head coach? How long has Mack Brown been out of the game? We all know that Harbaugh sucks but yet there's Meatchicken ahead of ND. Stop with the excuses.

Always excuses. That's all you guys have to offer. How is it that right now, Michigan and Wisconsin and North Carolina and Tennessee are ahead of Notre Dame in the 247 recruiting rankings? Wisconsin and Michigan are both very good academic schools. The climate is the same if not worse. What could be the difference? Maybe better recruiters. Again, how come all of this Kelly success is not leading to Top 5 classes? What the hell is Jeremy Pruitte's record as a head coach? How long has Mack Brown been out of the game? We all know that Harbaugh sucks but yet there's Meatchicken ahead of ND. Stop with the excuses.
Class avgs for the 2021 classes

ND - 90.96
Mich - 89.48
Wisc - 88.76
Tenn - 89.92

Stop acting like these classes are better than ours. They are not. They just have more players. Our quality is higher. Tell the whole story. Not just what fits your narrative.

Golson destroyed you and your attempt at making a point in 3 sentences.

I don’t need to say anything else.

We have this thing called an overall class ranking. This formula takes into account everything we've discussed ad naseum. It takes the entire class into consideration, holistically.

Recruiting good classes isn't just a battle of how many top 100 recruits you secure. Each recruit in the top 100 has its own value and so does every recruit outside the top 100 as well. The entire class -- the rating of each individual recruit matters.

We're taking valid data (overall class ranking) and then getting way into the weeds splitting up the information in a way to fit our narrative. e.g. "but look at the per recruit average" .. "but look at how many top 100 recruits we have" "but look at quantity vs quality" .. etc. etc. The overall class ranking shows us exactly how we stack up with the rest of college football though. We don't need to break up the data -- it already makes adjustments for those factors for us.

The class ranking takes into account class size, per recruit quality -- specifically how each recruit in a class ranks -- and then makes adjustments so that class-quantity doesn't have an undue advantage over class-quality.

We need to call a spade a spade: Recruiting is in a BAD place right now (has been average to bad over the course of BKs tenure) and only getting worse.

Poor recruiting is the cause of all the problems in the program right now; it's why:
  • ND is susceptible to games where nothing goes right and they get blown out badly
  • ND ranks relatively poorly in advanced ranking systems that adjust for strength of schedule and luck
Also, as you know, all top 100 recruits aren't equal. Weis closed on 5 star talent (top 25 guys), high 4 star talent (top 50ish guys), and so did most coaches over the history of Notre Dame football. BK not only fails to recruit enough top 100 guys, but 5 star -- and high 4 star -- talent seem to be appalled by this program.

Sorry to have an exasperated tone, but this rhetoric/view of "we're there, just need another guy or two" is what is probably going through the heads of the ND administration that is about to extend Kelly and keep him firmly entrenched as the head coach at notre dame.
New username, same old tired, stale content.

ND is not "there". I've pointed out, numerous times, that they're 2-3 top 100'ish recruits away from being a consistant top 10 recruiter. The depth of their classes is fine. It's as good as anyone's ranked 5-10 in recruiting in a given year. Again, let me re-illustrate 2020.

Tennessee's 2020 Recruiting Class
Class Ranking: #10
Commits: 23
Average rating: 0.8991
Total recruiting points: 261.40

Notre Dame's 2020 Recruiting Class
Class Ranking: #18
Commits: 17
Average rating: 0.9075
Total recruiting points: 251.38

- The first thing we notice is that Tennessee had more room for signees last year than did Notre Dame. They took 6 additional recruits than ND. Just to illustrate how important that is, I took 5 three star kids that would have crawled across broken glass to go to Notre Dame, but who ND passed on because of space. I plugged them into the class calculator and below you'll see what I got.

1. Deontae Craig (signed with Iowa)
2. Lukas Ungar (signed with Stanford)
3. Reggie Love (signed with Illinois)
4. Greg Hudgins (signed with Purdue)
5. Cullen Coleman (Signed with Northwestern)

All of those kids wanted to go to ND. Some of them actually tried to commit on their respective visits and were told that there was no room for them. However, if you add those 5 players, all of whom are 3 star guys, to ND's class calculator.

Total score: 264.88... 3 points clear of Tennessee and good for the #10 class nationally.

Note: I didn't even use 4 star guys like Peter Skoronski, Kaden Johnson, Zak Zinter, Tirek Murphy, Kevin Pyne, Gus Hartwig, Jadon Thompson, etc...

If you're being intellectually honest with yourself for a minute, you know ND's class could have been ranked much higher if they had room and had they not not taken in 4 transfers in Pryor, Skowroneck, McCloud and Speights. That said, the staff is expecting at least 3 of those guys to be major contributors, if not starters, THIS year, where as none of the 4 star freshman I listed above would have been in an position to do so.

For fun, I added the following names into Notre Dame's 2020 class, taking the same 23 that Tennessee did.

1. Peter Skowronek (Northwestern)
2. Kaden Johnson (Minnesota)
3. Zak Zinter (Michigan)
4. Tyrek Murphy (Purdue)
5. Kevin Pyne (Boston College)
6. Jadon Thompson (Cincinnati)

Total score: 275.66.

Again, if you're being honest with yourself, you know that had ND been in the position to take more guys, or if they had prioritized recruits over their 4 grad transfers, that #18 class could have been WAY higher. The 275.66 score above would have given them the #7 class in the nation, bumping out Auburn.

Perspective.

As a follow up to my above post, which was getting long, the "easier" way to cement a top 10 class at Notre Dame given the numbers wall ND is often up against, is to take the quality, over quantity approach. Obviously they'd take as many top guys as want to come to ND, but to illustrate my point, if ND were able to add 2-3 top 100'ish kids per cycle, it completely changes where the class finishes in the rankings.

I plugged the following guys that ND frustratingly missed on last cycle after being in it for them the entire time and considered the leader at different points...

1. Clark Phillips III (Utah)
2. Jalen McMillan
3. Cody Simon

Total: 279.25

ANYONE of them alone jumps ND the 10+ recruiting points necessary to go from 18th, to 10th. Three of them jumps ND into 7th, 5 full points clear of Auburn.

Now, it's easier said than done when you're talking about landing those guys. But my point remains that if you can attract a couple more elite recruiters to your staff, and if the head coach demands results in recruiting, that start with his maniacal effort on the trail, consistant top 10 classes are not out of reach at Notre Dame. You just have to stop finishing as the runner up on key guys.

Reactions: Walruzz
All fair points, thank you. I do notice how Irish fans use Ohio State as their proxy when attempting to belittle UM rather than deal with your own lack of success. Also worth noting (since you brought it up) that Notre Dame is 0-5 against the Buckeyes in the modern era - and most of those games have been seismic mismatches.
Let's talk about Michigan. When was the last time they were in the hunt for a national championship and played for one, or were in the college playoffs? But I guess you are 100% correct. Brian Kelly does not do sleepovers like the Michigan coach does

Let's talk about Michigan. When was the last time they were in the hunt for a national championship and played for one, or were in the college playoffs? But I guess you are 100% correct. Brian Kelly does not do sleepovers like the Michigan coach does
Ouch!

If you mean I don't have any specific study to reference you are correct. I should have qualified that with "my theory is"

Society is improving, more people are college educated than ever before, more recruits are having to invest even younger and younger into professional training to maximize their talent -- which costs lots of money that only professional class families have.

My theory is that this should all work in NDs favor as a world class institution that really *educates* its athletes.
Society is improving? Have you watched the news lately?

Just thinking out loud here. Maybe Irish fans should lay low for awhile when going after Harbaugh and the Michigan program.

I really have to explain why Irish fans, of all people, should lay low for awhile in their attacks on Harbaugh and the program? I know Michigan fans in NW Indiana who like Harbaugh. Maybe we should conduct a nation wide poll on Harbaugh's popularity among Wolverine Nation. He's similar to BK. You love him. You don't love him. Depends upon the game just played. I promise you this. Wolverine fans sure loved the guy on Oct 26th of 2019. What Michigan fans feel about their HC is their business anyway.

Why? Every Michigan fan I know hates him.
Don’t mind Toby. Strange situation: the guy spends 20 hrs a day on ND message board, supporting Harbaugh at every turn, while subtlety knocking BK every chance he gets.

Don’t mind Toby. Strange situation: the guy spends 20 hrs a day on ND message board, supporting Harbaugh at every turn, while subtlety knocking BK every chance he gets.
OK big shot. The ball is in your court. Show the exact quotes where I have done this. I need topic, date, exact quote. I have challenged you on this very thing before and you wilt away like a dried up leaf. Put up or shut up. It wasn't too long ago that you gave me a "like" or two. Which is it? Anti BK or beloved Irish fan? Now get busy and post all my anti BK comments.

Reactions: Walruzz
OK big shot. The ball is in your court. Show the exact quotes where I have done this. I need topic, date, exact quote. I have challenged you on this very thing before and you wilt away like a dried up leaf. Put up or shut up. It wasn't too long ago that you gave me a "like" or two. Which is it? Anti BK or beloved Irish fan? Now get busy and post all my anti BK comments.
I’m working, Toby. Not going to run through your posting history.

As for “liking” some posts.....Yes, when you make good sense, I’ll give credit. You’re clearly a smart guy, and there are many instances when I agree with your points.

When you senselessly call out BK......I’ll hold you accountable.

Stop trying to start an argument when there is none. The conversation wasn't even directed at you. You nosed it then got blown up in the process. You're not holding anyone accountable because you don't have the power to do it. LOL! This is a free message board. Not your kingdom fanboy. When you get home from work, follow up on your accusations and get back to us. You won't because you can't. And, get back to work. Quit goofing around on message boards during work time. I don't want to have to send a message to HR about your productivity.

They were certainly in the hunt until late November in 2016 and 2018. ND should just be thankful they don’t have to play OSU every year.

They were certainly in the hunt until late November in 2016 and 2018. ND should just be thankful they don’t have to play OSU every year.
And Michigan fans are a funny group. Arrogant enough to tell other schools what to be thankful for despite their lack of national success last 3/4 century or so....

All fair points, thank you. I do notice how Irish fans use Ohio State as their proxy when attempting to belittle UM rather than deal with your own lack of success. Also worth noting (since you brought it up) that Notre Dame is 0-5 against the Buckeyes in the modern era - and most of those games have been seismic mismatches.

ND has to settle for beating UM since tOSU has been ducking ND for a decade!

I'm still waiting. You said it, now give it your best shot. Dates, quotes, subject titles. You're blowing your chance to hold me "acountable".
ND has to settle for beating UM since tOSU has been ducking ND for a decade!
Speaking of "ducking", I'm still waiting to be held accountable. I'm thinking I'll be waiting a long time, speaking of "ducking".

I'm still waiting. You said it, now give it your best shot. Dates, quotes, subject titles. You're blowing your chance to hold me "acountable".

Speaking of "ducking", I'm still waiting to be held accountable. I'm thinking I'll be waiting a long time, speaking of "ducking".

you are talking to?

Just talking out loud. You mentioned the word "ducking" and it reminded me of someone. Life on a free (for all) message board. LOL!
Get real Toby.

“LOL” And “I’ll call HR”

You sound like a really “woke” 25 year old. Grow up. Be a man/adult.

It’s this simple: Keep calling out BK and taking unfair shots at him and the University......I’ll call you out and make sure you’re accountable. Every single time.

Sorry if your feelings are hurt.

And stop waiting around on a summer weekend for me to respond to you.

Last edited:
Get real Toby.

“LOL” And “I’ll call HR”

You sound like a really “woke” 25 year old. Grow up. Be a man/adult.

It’s this simple: Keep calling out BK and taking unfair shots at him and the University......I’ll call you out and make sure you’re accountable. Every single time.

Sorry if your feelings are hurt.
Why wait? Start now. Go back as far as you can and dig up the dirt. Quit threatening and start the doing. You've been flapping your gums about this a couple of different times and still haven't produced any results. LOL!

Reactions: IrishMike409
Wait did someone on here say Ohio State has been DUCKING ND..ok just stop..Look l'm no OSU fan but STOP WITH THAT NONSENSE..OSU has curbstomped ND EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. we've played them...and if u think this ND team could even get on the field with the current OSU team you're more stupid than imanginable...If this ND team (as it's currently put together) had to play OSU..ND would lose BY 4 TD'S...my goodness they have 5* depth that goes 3 deep at nearly EVERY skill position..people are delusional..

Wait did someone on here say Ohio State has been DUCKING ND..ok just stop..Look l'm no OSU fan but STOP WITH THAT NONSENSE..OSU has curbstomped ND EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. we've played them...and if u think this ND team could even get on the field with the current OSU team you're more stupid than imanginable...If this ND team (as it's currently put together) had to play OSU..ND would lose BY 4 TD'S...my goodness they have 5* depth that goes 3 deep at nearly EVERY skill position..people are delusional..
The person who posted that is 100% troll. I had to show blocked content just to see who it was.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It’s probably just me. I understand the kid apparently has a ton of talent and every school wants him. But boy, does he impress me as a ‘ME’ guy. Would you like him on your team? I guess. But I have a feeling that he brings something with me.
If the IRISH land him, hope I’m off base.
Totally overdone with the kid. He comes or doesn’t I don’t think it affects are oline future at all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT