ADVERTISEMENT

Spindler

huff60

Irish Expert
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
It’s probably just me. I understand the kid apparently has a ton of talent and every school wants him. But boy, does he impress me as a ‘ME’ guy. Would you like him on your team? I guess. But I have a feeling that he brings something with me.
If the IRISH land him, hope I’m off base.

That's why he is going to Mechigan. LOL
I saw an article where he let slip that he can't wait to play with the QB already committed to the Skunkbears.

My question is, if Spindler said "I won't be committing until after completing all my visits", why can't ND as well receive visits from all their targets? After all the goal is for recruits to see the campus and be influenced by that experience.

That's why he is going to Mechigan. LOL
I saw an article where he let slip that he can't wait to play with the QB already committed to the Skunkbears.

If he chooses UM over ND it’ll likely be because 1 of 3 things: 1) UM is recruiting better, 2) 45-10, or 3)
24-17-1. Both schools offer wonderful opportunities for the young man though.

It’s probably just me. I understand the kid apparently has a ton of talent and every school wants him. But boy, does he impress me as a ‘ME’ guy. Would you like him on your team? I guess. But I have a feeling that he brings something with me.
What about him makes you think ME guy?

It probably is just you.

With that said, why are you impressed by him being a "me" guy. You said "he impress me as a ME guy." That is not actual proper English and what jokingly is refered to as "cave man talk."

So please enlighten us to why he impress you as ME guy....

Last edited:
Reactions: SALittleGiant513
If he chooses UM over ND it’ll likely be because 1 of 3 things: 1) UM is recruiting better, 2) 45-10, or 3)
Maybe he hasn't chosen his in state school because of 3 reasons: 1) um hasn't sniffed an outright title since 1940's 2) most of their records that keep them semi-relevant are from the 1800's 3) non competitive with biggest rival during his lifetime.
But yes, both schools a great opportunity.

Maybe he hasn't chosen his in state school because of 3 reasons: 1) um hasn't sniffed an outright title since 1940's 2) most of their records that keep them semi-relevant are from the 1800's 3) non competitive with biggest rival during his lifetime.
But yes, both schools a great opportunity.

All fair points, thank you. I do notice how Irish fans use Ohio State as their proxy when attempting to belittle UM rather than deal with your own lack of success. Also worth noting (since you brought it up) that Notre Dame is 0-5 against the Buckeyes in the modern era - and most of those games have been seismic mismatches.

Actually, it is proper English. In any event, it just seems from his photos and comments that he is very content to direct the attention to himself.
You don’t generally see offensive linemen act that way. Wide receivers? That’s another story. Anyway....

All fair points, thank you. I do notice how Irish fans use Ohio State as their proxy when attempting to belittle UM rather than deal with your own lack of success. Also worth noting (since you brought it up) that Notre Dame is 0-5 against the Buckeyes in the modern era - and most of those games have been seismic mismatches.
All time record OSU 4 ND 2. Not sure where the 0-5 in modern era comes from.....
OK, check out your record vs our main rival USC.....think your last victory came about the last time you folks won an outright title.
But you are being truthful about recruiting, you guys having a nice recruiting class going.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Really an asinine post. I would have to question the intelligence of any young man who would base his decision concerning where to attend college based upon the outcome of a single game or the overall series. Since the turn of the century, (the 1900's, not the 2000's) the series is even. Your suggestion that this young man make his decision based upon games played prior to the year 1900 is ridiculous.

tOSU has been ducking ND for years!

Reactions: Kelso86
I think we land Spindler and it gives our recruiting class a huge boost and some momentum

I think ND lands him too. I also hope you're right about the the positive momentum, because as of this moment the rest of the class (save Jayden Thomas) would filled out by guys that don't have offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc... that's not how you compete at the highest level.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I think ND lands him too. I also hope you're right about the the positive momentum, because as of this moment the rest of the class (save Jayden Thomas) would filled out by guys that don't have offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, etc... that's not how you compete at the highest level.
Thomas, Kollie, Thornton, Colzie, TMA (they should be recruiting him). Flipping prospects is still possible. If there is a full season and we have a big year, there is still a possibility. We really need the season and hopefully visits in dec and jan.

Looks like Tucker, Evans and Spindler are next. Obviously Spindler is a top 100 guy. I really like Tucker. Haven't watched film of Evans yet but I hear good things

Thomas, Kollie, Thornton, Colzie, TMA (they should be recruiting him). Flipping prospects is still possible. If there is a full season and we have a big year, there is still a possibility. We really need the season and hopefully visits in dec and jan.

Looks like Tucker, Evans and Spindler are next. Obviously Spindler is a top 100 guy. I really like Tucker. Haven't watched film of Evans yet but I hear good things

Tucker is interesting to me. Good athlete. Has the length you want. Runs well (probably a 10.8, 100m guy if he put some work into it). Academically he is all you could ever ask for. The academic offer list is truly impressive.

What makes me a little leery is not only the lack of top national offers (ND is the only one) but even regionally, only Washington among the top West Coast programs want him. No USC offer. No Stanford offer. No Oregon offer. Hell, even UCLA didn't offer.

I am happy that Jimmy Lake likes him as well, but none of the "big boys" being interested usually means a serious project that you're going has upside.

If ND could finish with...

OL: Rocco Spindler
WR: Jayden Thomas
WR / S: Titus Mokiao-Atimalala
TE: Mitchell Evans
CB: Chance Tucker
Rover: Prince Kollie
RB: Anyone with a pulse

Add to that one late high end flip, and they'd be holding serve with their regular caliber class and they could kick the can down the road another year, where it is again strong in the Midwest.

A class in the #13-#15 range isn't out of the range of possibility at this point.

Tucker is interesting to me. Good athlete. Has the length you want. Runs well (probably a 10.8, 100m guy if he put some work into it). Academically he is all you could ever ask for. The academic offer list is truly impressive.

What makes me a little leery is not only the lack of top national offers (ND is the only one) but even regionally, only Washington among the top West Coast programs want him. No USC offer. No Stanford offer. No Oregon offer. Hell, even UCLA didn't offer.

I am happy that Jimmy Lake likes him as well, but none of the "big boys" being interested usually means a serious project that you're going has upside.

If ND could finish with...

OL: Rocco Spindler
WR: Jayden Thomas
WR / S: Titus Mokiao-Atimalala
TE: Mitchell Evans
CB: Chance Tucker
Rover: Prince Kollie
RB: Anyone with a pulse

Add to that one late high end flip, and they'd be holding serve with their regular caliber class and they could kick the can down the road another year, where it is again strong in the Midwest.

A class in the #13-#15 range isn't out of the range of possibility at this point.

You regularly make these type of posts, and I'm glad that you do because they are highly interesting and informing, but at the same time they seem to be "best case" no matter how conservative/realistic you try to be.

Come signing day when the class is complete there are maybe 1 or 2 players from these scenarios that actually sign and NDs final class is somewhere in the late teens/otherwise really disappointing.

Have you noticed that?

You regularly make these type of posts, and I'm glad that you do because they are highly interesting and informing, but at the same time they seem to be "best case" no matter how conservative/realistic you try to be.

Come signing day when the class is complete there are maybe 1 or 2 players from these scenarios that actually sign and NDs final class is somewhere in the late teens/otherwise really disappointing.

Have you noticed that?
Have you noticed our avg player ranking is usually in the 10 to 12 area. You keep making these statements without telling the whole picture. Other classes are taking more players than us. That doesnt mean they have better quality classes. Our classes are better than you try to make them out to be. And it will be better again this year in terms of quality. Doesnt fit your agenda though

Have you noticed our avg player ranking is usually in the 10 to 12 area. You keep making these statements without telling the whole picture. Other classes are taking more players than us. That doesnt mean they have better quality classes. Our classes are better than you try to make them out to be. And it will be better again this year in terms of quality. Doesnt fit your agenda though
There's a reason classes are ranked based on the totality of a class in the cycle. How many high quality players you are able to sign is a big factor in the quality of your class.

ND recruiting less players and then filling in the gaps with grad transfers only further reduces the amount of upside they are getting from year to year.

The class ranking algorithm takes into account the quality of the player and also the number of kids recruited but also adjusts so that high quantity/low quality classes dont have an unfair advantage.

Overwhelmingly the top 15 players in a recruiting class is what the 24/7 ranking formula incorporates into their ranking the most.

Here's notre dame's class rankings over the last 3 years:

2019: #16
2020: #18
2021: #16 (and declining fast)

even in 2016 & 2017 when ND was recruiting the #10 class those years, they were still multiple tiers away from being anywhere near the top tier.

We need to have honest discussions about this and graduate the conversation to more pressing matters, but there's still half of this fan base that will apologize even the most poor results on the recruiting trail away.

When BK is finally fired THEN the fan base will come out in droves and start railing on him. It sucks that those that see the forest through the trees now are the ones who are called the trouble makers and their accounts are at risk for being banned.

Last edited:

Have you noticed that?

I usually preface my posts by saying that they are positively slanted as possible, while trying to be realistic regarding the prospects that ND is actually in on. I also routinely suggest that recruiting is fluid and that my best guess scenarios are simply a reflection of what is happening "at the moment" throughout the cycle and that they are subject to change, as the minds and hearts of 17 years old shift and change.

Also, ND's class is not usually somewhere in the late teens. Per the composite, here are Notre Dame's classes under Brian Kelly...

2011: #9
2012: #17
2013: #5
2014: #11
2015: #13
2016: #15
2017: #10
2018: #10

Brian Kelly has recruited 10 classes to Notre Dame. 4 of them (40%) have been top 10 classes. 3 of them (30%) have been ranked between 10-15 and 3 of them of them (30%) have been ranked between ranked 16-20... Brian Kelly has averaged the #13 class during his tenure.

Also, the difference between #18 (Notre Dame, 251.28) and #10 (Tennessee 261.40) last year, was a total of 10 recruiting points, which is ONE quality, 4 start recruit... When you factor in the respective washout rates of Tennessee recruits vs Notre Dame recruits, by year two of that class being in the respective programs, Notre Dame has more talent left from it than Tennessee does... Some food for thought.

Outside of about the top 6-7 classes, the next 12-13 are essentially a wash. In that range, retention and development makes all the difference. Not one recruit here, or there... Assuming, of course, that said recruit isn't Trevor Lawrence.

Reactions: Golson5
I usually preface my posts by saying that they are positively slanted as possible, while trying to be realistic regarding the prospects that ND is actually in on. I also routinely suggest that recruiting is fluid and that my best guess scenarios are simply a reflection of what is happening "at the moment" throughout the cycle and that they are subject to change, as the minds and hearts of 17 years old shift and change.

Also, ND's class is not usually somewhere in the late teens. Per the composite, here are Notre Dame's classes under Brian Kelly...

2011: #9
2012: #17
2013: #5
2014: #11
2015: #13
2016: #15
2017: #10
2018: #10

Brian Kelly has recruited 10 classes to Notre Dame. 4 of them (40%) have been top 10 classes. 3 of them (30%) have been ranked between 10-15 and 3 of them of them (30%) have been ranked between ranked 16-20... Brian Kelly has averaged the #13 class during his tenure.

Also, the difference between #18 (Notre Dame, 251.28) and #10 (Tennessee 261.40) last year, was a total of 10 recruiting points, which is ONE quality, 4 start recruit.... Some food for thought.

Outside of about the top 6-7 classes, the next 12-13 are essentially a wash.

I should have prefaced that by saying "recent history" .. I'm talking more about the last several years.

Leaching off of your point, where the class is ranked among the P5, after the first couple of tiers doesn't really matter anyway.

The way recruiting is now--so dominated by a handful of schools at the top--just failing to be in those top two tiers is a colossal failure in and of itself. And Notre Dame/ Brian Kelly is still responsible for that failure.

Last edited:
There's a reason classes are ranked based on the totality of a class in the cycle. How many high quality players you are able to sign is a big factor in the quality of your class.

ND recruiting less players and then filling in the gaps with grad transfers only further reduces the amount of upside they are getting from year to year.

The class ranking algorithm takes into account the quality of the player and also the number of kids recruited but also adjusts so that high quantity/low quality classes dont have an unfair advantage.

Overwhelmingly the top 15 players in a recruiting class is what the 24/7 ranking formula incorporates into their ranking the most.

even in 2016 & 2017 when ND was recruiting the #10 class those years, they were still multiple tiers away from being anywhere near the top tier.

We need to have honest discussions about this and graduate the conversation to more pressing matters, but there's still half of this fan base that will apologize even the most poor results on the recruiting trail away.

When BK is finally fired THEN the fan base will come out in droves and start railing on him. It sucks that those that see the forest through the trees now are the ones who are called the trouble makers and their accounts are at risk for being banned.
First, Kelly will not get fired from ND, not happening.

Second, quality of our classes are more important than taking a bunch of guys. We have less transfers, less academic and criminal casualties. And we rarely take many tranfers. This year being the exception.

We recruit at a top 10 to 12 level.

I should have prefaced that by saying "recent history" .. I'm talking more about the last several years.

Where the class was ranked doesn't really matter anyway (kind of leading off the point you made about after the top 6 or 7 the rest is a wash) because there's usually 4 or 5 schools each cycle pulling in classes so highly rated that just being outside of that group alone makes your class a colossal failure.

I think the mistake is anybody thinking that in the current college environment that ND should be routinely competing for top 5 classes.

The era of the student athlete is over. The kids going to University today would largely never even be looked at by the type of institutions they are playing football for.

Unless you're fully on board with Notre Dame adopting that model, I think the expectation should be classes routinely somewhere in the #7-#13 range, depending on the numbers they take, with a class every 3-4 years (when things line up) that gets ND into the top 5.

More importantly, ND needs to land and develop high level quarterbacks, wide receivers, offensive tackles, defensive ends and cornerbacks, even in the down recruiting years. Those are the game changing players in modern football that Notre Dame hasn't landed and developed enough of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golson5
Also, the difference between #18 (Notre Dame, 251.28) and #10 (Tennessee 261.40) last year, was a total of 10 recruiting points, which is ONE quality, 4 start recruit... When you factor in the respective washout rates of Tennessee recruits vs Notre Dame recruits, by year two of that class being in the respective programs, Notre Dame has more talent left from it than Tennessee does... Some food for thought.

I don't pretend to be a recruiting junkie. A lot of you guys follow it much more closely than I do. But if it is true that the difference between a # 10 class and a # 18 class is one guy, that's essentially no difference at all.

I think the mistake is anybody thinking that in the current college environment that ND should be routinely competing for top 5 classes.

The era of the student athlete is over. The kids going to Universiry today would largely never even be looked at by the type of institutions they are playing football for.

I respect your opinion but I disagree entirely with this narrative.

Society is improving (as it always has over the centuries), kids are getting more educated and specializing even sooner (which costs a lot of money). The top 100 talents most years are full of smart kids from good middle class families (and up) who can afford to pay for personal trainers and private coaches. These families value education at a good institution more than ever before especially with all of the information coming out in recent years about the high risk nature of playing football.

Gen Z and Millenials are the most educated generation on the planet.

All of this should be working in NDs favor.

Too many people too easily excuse away bad recruiting at Notre Dame. My suspicion is because they are unable to look at the issue with objectivity as a fan of the program.

EDIT: Also, 10 years ago before BK was hired, the one skepticism that was thrown around a lot was his lack of high level recruiting. That was the skepticism/question mark on his resume. I think after 10 years it's safe to say that that ultimately came to be true. As it's clearly his biggest weakness as a head coach and it's crippling his upside. Unfortunately, recruiting is only getting worse at Notre Dame as BK gets older and exits the prime of his career.

Last edited:
Society is improving (as it always has over the centuries), kids are getting more educated and specializing even sooner (which costs a lot of money). The top 100 talents most years are full of smart kids from good middle class families (and up) who can afford to pay for personal trainers and private coaches. These families value education at a good institution more than ever before especially with all of the information coming out in recent years about the high risk nature of playing football.

This is nothing more than wishful thinking on your part. The top 100 is full of smart kids from middle class families? You are dreaming.

Reactions: artemis gordon
This is nothing more than wishful thinking on your part. The top 100 is full of smart kids from middle class families? You are dreaming.

If you mean I don't have any specific study to reference you are correct. I should have qualified that with "my theory is"

Society is improving, more people are college educated than ever before, more recruits are having to invest even younger and younger into professional training to maximize their talent -- which costs lots of money that only professional class families have.

My theory is that this should all work in NDs favor as a world class institution that really *educates* its athletes.

Last edited:
If you mean I don't have any specific study to reference you are correct. I should have qualified that with "my theory is"

That's great to have a theory. But the reality is that many, if not most of the top 100 are not smart kids. And many do not come from middle class families.

That's great to have a theory. But the reality is that many, if not most of the top 100 are not smart kids. And many do not come from middle class families.

Do you have a citation for any of this or are you theorizing as well?

Between the years of 2005-2009 (the charlie weis era -- ND had no problem securing commits/recruiting the best players out of HS at their position). Hell, ND has been dominating college football recruiting since the Rockne era.

According to ND fan logic though, only during the years of Ty Willingham (2002-2004) and Brian Kelly (2010-2019) did ND become some institution that nobody was smart enough or well behaved enough to get into.

Fans ultimately conceded that Willingham was just a terrible recruiter in hindsight after he was fired and Charlie Weis started pulling in elite classes again.

Unfortunately it's politically incorrect to suggest that the current-employed head coach is bad at something while he's still employed at Notre Dame. Once he moves on/gets fired then we can start speaking frankly about the issue.

BK isn’t ever getting fired. He’ll leave ND on his terms. He’s been excellent, and too many here take him for granted

I also want to say this on the issue:

I've earned the reputation of a negative nancy over the years who is just railing on BK all the time. But I don't think that's fair. The problem is that the general fan base has such an irrationally high opinion of what is going on with ND football right now that I feel compelled to correct the record. If for nothing else then hopefully to help change the narrative that might lead to change.

I'm a much happier fan than I may lead on around these parts. I love Notre Dame. I love everything the program stands for. I love the memories of college football for years every saturday. I love the image of the leprechaun and interlocking ND logo that i looked up to in awe throughout my adolescent years. I love the green and gold. The classic fight song. Notre Dame stadium.

Notre Dame is a major part of my life. Very few things would make me happier than experiencing another Lou Holtz era (88-93) run--where ND is one of the best teams in the country again. Dominating the national conversation again, the #1 sign lit at the top of grace hall.

We are not going to get back there with business as usual with this head coach though. I am beyond certain of that.

Where's the ND administration enthusiasm for the same?

Either they have settled for decent results, or worse, they are too incompetent to see what we all see. Either way, we desperately need some answers. A LOT of time is starting to add up and it's going to make it that much more difficult to get back on top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leahylads

Society is improving, more people are college educated than ever before, more recruits are having to invest even younger and younger into professional training to maximize their talent -- which costs lots of money that only professional class families have.

My theory is that this should all work in NDs favor as a world class institution that really *educates* its athletes.
Society is improving.....LOL. Hilarious

Reactions: irishdave2000
Something that I've talked about in the past is that even the best Weis classes were not loaded with top 100 talent, in the 10 deep sort of way that I think some people thought they were.

Weis' 2006 class finished ranked #5. It had 6 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2007 class finished ranked #6. It had 8 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2008 class finished ranked #2. It had 9 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2009 class finished ranked #15. It had 5 top 100 recruits.

Meanwhile, the most top 100 recruits Kelly has landed in a class is 5, which he's done twice. However, more often than not he's landed about 3-4 top 100 recruits per class, which means he's routinely coming up about 2-3 top 100 recruits short of landing consistant classes inside the top 10. Is that easy? No. Every top 100 kid is a war. Landing them isn't easy... That said, it should be encouraging for everyone, that ND is closer to recruiting at an elite level than some people might think.

2-3 more top 100 recruits per class. Only 1-2 schools are going to land 10+ in a given cycle. You can easy get competitive if you simply land in that 6-7 range. Clemson did!

6 top 100 recruits and another 4-5 recruits in the 101-200 range... If you can repeat that, you can put together one hell of a roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
Something that I've talked about in the past is that even the best Weis classes were not loaded with top 100 talent, in the 10 deep sort of way that I think some people thought they were.

Weis' 2006 class finished ranked #5. It had 6 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2007 class finished ranked #6. It had 8 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2008 class finished ranked #2. It had 9 top 100 recruits.

Weis' 2009 class finished ranked #15. It had 5 top 100 recruits.

Meanwhile, the most top 100 recruits Kelly has landed in a class is 5, which he's done twice. However, more often than not he's landed about 3-4 top 100 recruits per class, which means he's routinely coming up about 2-3 top 100 recruits short of landing consistant classes inside the top 10. Is that easy? No. Every top 100 kid is a war. Landing them isn't easy... That said, it should be encouraging for everyone, that ND is closer to recruiting at an elite level than some people might think.

2-3 more top 100 recruits per class. Only 1-2 schools are going to land 10+ in a given cycle. You can easy get competitive if you simply land in that 6-7 range. Clemson did!

6 top 100 recruits and another 4-5 recruits in the 101-200 range... If you can repeat that, you can put together one hell of a roster.
So close, yet so far away. Thats how I've often felt with Kelly's classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT