ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Hartman NFL potential?

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
Question for those who are more football knowledgeable than I.

Sam Hartman came to ND to play a 6th year of college football due to being projected anywhere from a late round pick to undrafted free agent. He’s trying to up his draft stock.

I know he came from Wake Forest where they play the “slow mesh” offense that’s widely considered to be “gimmick offense”. Freeman has adopted more of a multiple or pro-style offense and I know one of the reasons Hartman chose ND was to showcase himself in a more NFL offense.

I’m just a little puzzled as to why Hartmann stock seemed so low in the first place. He’s seems very accurate and very good at making reads and progressions. Take it from a Bears fan who has had to watch “Mr. all world athlete” Justin Fields that last two years who can’t read a defense to save his life or make an accurate throw. I’m not sure Hartman would be any worse! Is it has size at 6’1”? Arm strength? Is he known to be un athletic? Just curious.

Sam Hartman came to ND to play a 6th year of college football due to being projected anywhere from a late round pick to undrafted free agent. He’s trying to up his draft stock.

I know he came from Wake Forest where they play the “slow mesh” offense that’s widely considered to be “gimmick offense”. Freeman has adopted more of a multiple or pro-style offense and I know one of the reasons Hartman chose ND was to showcase himself in a more NFL offense.

I’m just a little puzzled as to why Hartmann stock seemed so low in the first place. He’s seems very accurate and very good at making reads and progressions. Take it from a Bears fan who has had to watch “Mr. all world athlete” Justin Fields that last two years who can’t read a defense to save his life or make an accurate throw. I’m not sure Hartman would be any worse! Is it has size at 6’1”? Arm strength? Is he known to be un athletic? Just curious.

I think Wake Forest's slow mesh offense was perceived by the NFL draftniks as a gimmick offense, as you note. So between that and Sam's modest size, arm stength, and athleticism, he wasn't seen as a draftable NFL QB. That is why he hung around another year and transferred to ND. (I read on another board, BTW, that Sam got $1.5M in NIL benefits to sign with ND, and turned down a $2M NIL offer from Auburn. I think that tells you he wanted the chance to play in a more NFL style offense to improve his draft stock.)

If Sam keeps playing like he has, and can show up big in the OSU, USC and Clemson games, he is going to get drafted. I love what Sam has shown so far, but if I am being honest I think it will still be tough for him to become a starting NFL QB. On the other hand, if someone like Chase Daniel can have a 14-year NFL career, I don't see why Sam cannot do it too, but I think there are some long odds there. That said, I can see him doing well in a backup QB role somewhere. Backup NFL QBs make pretty good money, and are only a concussion (or torn achilles) away from being the starter.

Last edited:

He's not that tall. Or athletic. Doesn't have a huge arm. Ran the slow mesh his whole career. I think he can get up to round 3 maybe at the highest

New Orleans might think him a flashback

I think Wake Forest's slow mesh offense was perceived by the NFL draftniks as a gimmick offense, as you note. So between that and Sam's modest size, arm stength, and athleticism, he wasn't seen as a draftable NFL QB. That is why he hung around another year and transferred to ND. (I read on another board, BTW, that Sam got $1.5M in NIL benefits to sign with ND, and turned down a $2M NIL offer from Auburn. I think that tells you he wanted the chance to play in a more NFL style offense to improve his draft stock.)

If Sam keeps playing like he has, and can show up big in the OSU, USC and Clemson games, he is going to get drafted. I love what Sam has shown so far, but if I am being honest I think it will still be tough for him to become a starting NFL QB. On the other hand, if someone like Chase Daniel can have a 14-year NFL career, I don't see why Sam cannot do it too, but I think there are some long odds there. That said, I can see him doing well in a backup QB role somewhere. Backup NFL QBs make pretty good money, and are only a concussion (or torn achilles) away from being the starter.
You have guys like Purdy and Howell playing as starters. I think Sam has a chance.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
He will probably go 5th round. Our guys are usually projected higher than they actually go.

Better than Book and Kizer who went.

Depending o the “big games” maybe as high as 2nd and as low as 4th.

If be shocked if he went 2nd with his measurables
I would agree. Its just a range. Look, if he takes ND to a Natty, they will look beyond measurables. At 6-2, mobile enough and very experienced, would not be the worst thing ATL or some of the other teams who have no QB or depth would pickup.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Most pundits thought no he is the third or fourth best QB in college right now. He has no problem chunking it down the field when he needs to . Some of his throws are right on line from 20 yards away . I’m think it is his size while he will not be the first one off of the bus means nothing. What Sam gets is the intangibles just how good does the chemistry of this team look this year. He supplied the entire team with shoes from UA, not just the O-line

Most pundits thought no he is the third or fourth best QB in college right now. He has no problem chunking it down the field when he needs to . Some of his throws are right on line from 20 yards away . I’m think it is his size while he will not be the first one off of the bus means nothing. What Sam gets is the intangibles just how good does the chemistry of this team look this year. He supplied the entire team with shoes from UA, not just the O-line
Always the CFL

Reactions: BGI User 1596
I wouldn’t count him out. He’s got balls and he’s pretty accurate. Whether he’s a pro or not, I love him cuz he loves ND. Maybe Gardner minshewish?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT