ADVERTISEMENT

Running Backs

IrishMike409

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 27, 2011
Listened to Power Hour this week, and they're really concerned about our lack of depth at RB. Anyone else concerned? What's the depth chart look like at thIs point?

Dexter in danger of missing 4 games?

I'm not concerned about a lack of depth, im concerned about a lack of talent. Dex is the only back on the roster talented enough to get big time carries for a big boy program.

Reactions: chaseball
And as of now there is no help on the way. I’m not sure there is a power 5 rb group I wouldn’t take over Nds. Terrible

And as of now there is no help on the way. I’m not sure there is a power 5 rb group I wouldn’t take over Nds. Terrible
What are you talking about no help on the way? Did you not see ND signed 2 low 3 stars who were plans E & F? (Although I do like C'bo film)

I'm not concerned about a lack of depth, im concerned about a lack of talent. Dex is the only back on the roster talented enough to get big time carries for a big boy program.

Jones chose ND over Miami & Florida. Those are big boy programs.
Funny enough, Dexter Williams’ final three were also N.D., Miami & Florida. Seriously. Willians was 11th ranked RB & Jones was 14th, both with same top 3. Pretty much the same coming out, except Jones can actually be trusted.

It's a big concern. Luckily people are way to low on Jones, he's gonna be a darn fine back. No he's not an Adrian Peterson, but he's only going to get better. If Dex can learn to pick up pass blocking and somehow stay eligible we will be ok. Is there any chance Deon is back next year?

It's a big concern. Luckily people are way to low on Jones, he's gonna be a darn fine back. No he's not an Adrian Peterson, but he's only going to get better. If Dex can learn to pick up pass blocking and somehow stay eligible we will be ok. Is there any chance Deon is back next year?

Deon no.
Holmes maybe, it’s kind of up to him.

Funny enough, Dexter Williams’ final three were also N.D., Miami & Florida. Seriously. Willians was 11th ranked RB & Jones was 14th, both with same top 3. Pretty much the same coming out, except Jones can actually be trusted.
Dex was a top 100 composite recruit... tony jones was probably around 350. Dex is much more talented and you can see it when he runs. Tony jones has no business getting carries, I'm sorry he just isn't a big boy running back. Florida never offered him by the way.

Jones did not have comittable offers from Miami and Florida. What has Jones some to show you he can be trusted?

Jones is not AP. He’s also not as good as at least 8 starting RBs we will face this year.

Dex was a top 100 composite recruit... tony jones was probably around 350. Dex is much more talented and you can see it when he runs. Tony jones has no business getting carries, I'm sorry he just isn't a big boy running back. Florida never offered him by the way.
the best ability is availability. williams cannot be trusted or counted on. a real dog.

I'm excited to see what the young guys bring to the table especially avery davis. there is always a concern when unproven players get their first opportunity. time will tell. i'm guessing the running game will continue to be effective and productive.

Dexter is not capable of being an every day guy. He does not block
SO far that is what we know. We also have NO evidence that Jones can as well. He got about 7 carries a game in HS. Let that sink in. I'll repeat it again, he got 144 carries in about 20 games in HS.

SO far that is what we know. We also have NO evidence that Jones can as well. He got about 7 carries a game in HS. Let that sink in. I'll repeat it again, he got 144 carries in about 20 games in HS.

Jones also has been injured which makes one think is he capable also but he can block. That said hopefully as IIO stated that we may be seeing Jafar

O-line is much more important than RB. We’re thin (at RB) because of circumstances, but I’m not worried. Davis is intriguing. Maybe he’s our change of pace guy w/ Jones playing the bruiser. Armstrong looked explosive in the spring game. We’ll be fine unless the injury bug hits. If Dex gets his head on straight, he’ll be back just in time for the brutal stretch of the the last 8 games.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Listened to Power Hour this week, and they're really concerned about our lack of depth at RB. Anyone else concerned? What's the depth chart look like at thIs point?

Dexter in danger of missing 4 games?
I showed concern a while back. I caught the concern fever from Eric Hansen because he was talking about his concern on the matter. I broached the subject here with little to no response. You have Dexter, Tony Jr, then rookies behind them. That's why IF the gossip is true about Dexter, then this is a serious matter. It's a serious matter with Dexter in the line up as it is.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I showed concern a while back. I caught the concern fever from Eric Hansen because he was talking about his concern on the matter. I broached the subject here with little to no response. You have Dexter, Tony Jr, then rookies behind them. That's why IF the gossip is true about Dexter, then this is a serious matter. It's a serious matter with Dexter in the line up as it is.
it is what it is. all the hand wringing can't change it. next man up is the only option. unexpected attrition hurts.

It is as bad as I can ever recall. We lost 3 guys who would/could have contributed. Then Dex has the suspension hanging over his head.

We have to make up for it with a superior OL, play calling and QB execution. BW is a great runner. He needs to play like he is always in the redzone. That is where he shines.

A spread & shred does not need a conventional RB to excel. You just need a QB to make the correct reads. I don't think ND is hurt short term unless you think they are up against a dominant defense. You run Wimbush a few more times. You look for a fast "in space" guy and run lots of inverted vear. That space guy may not be a blue chip RB. But you do not need one. You just need someone who if given the edge, takes the edge. So Wimbush becomes your interior runner based on the keys. OSU got a lot of success out of this model in 2016. So as long as you are not playing Clemson it works.

A spread & shred does not need a conventional RB to excel. You just need a QB to make the correct reads. I don't think ND is hurt short term unless you think they are up against a dominant defense. You run Wimbush a few more times. You look for a fast "in space" guy and run lots of inverted vear. That space guy may not be a blue chip RB. But you do not need one. You just need someone who if given the edge, takes the edge. So Wimbush becomes your interior runner based on the keys. OSU got a lot of success out of this model in 2016. So as long as you are not playing Clemson it works.
Michigan will have a dominant defense, don't underestimate them. And who says tony jones or anyone on the roster can take the edge in this offense where you claim the running back only needs to do the bare minimum? Since when was running back not a supreme position in college football? It still is, and will be for some time. We have one big time talent on the team, and that's dexter Williams. You don't think being able to run the ball would change the game vs Georgia?

Michigan will have a dominant defense, don't underestimate them. And who says tony jones or anyone on the roster can take the edge in this offense where you claim the running back only needs to do the bare minimum? Since when was running back not a supreme position in college football? It still is, and will be for some time. We have one big time talent on the team, and that's dexter Williams. You don't think being able to run the ball would change the game vs Georgia?

To answer your questions:

1) No, RB is not a supreme position in CFB
2) I have no idea if you are related to Dex or what, but saying ND has only one big time talent on the team & its Dex is the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time.
3) No. Being able to complete passes to wide open receivers would change the game against Georgia.

2) I have no idea if you are related to Dex or what, but saying ND has only one big time talent on the team & its Dex is the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time.
3) No. Being able to complete passes to wide open receivers would change the game against Georgia.
Does Ohio State win the national title without Ezekiel Elliot? Does Alabama win without Derrick Henry? Does penn state win a NY6 bowl without Barkley? Does UGA make the title game without Chubb and Michel? Is the Alabama dynasty as dominant without elite talent at running back?

And really? You don't think Adams being able to get 2 ypc against Georgia would have changed the game in a 1 point score?

Who on the roster is talented enough to start for a national title contender? Dex is clearly the most talented by far. The film doesn't lie. I know how to evaluate talent, and in my opinion Dex is the only player with enough TALENT to be a major contributor for a contender. And thats based not off of ratings, or what he's proven or lack thereof (jones is also unproven) but watching him run.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Does Ohio State win the national title without Ezekiel Elliot? Does Alabama win without Derrick Henry? Does penn state win a NY6 bowl without Barkley? Does UGA make the title game without Chubb and Michel? Is the Alabama dynasty as dominant without elite talent at running back?

And really? You don't think Adams being able to get 2 ypc against Georgia would have changed the game in a 1 point score?

Who on the roster is talented enough to start for a national title contender? Dex is clearly the most talented by far. The film doesn't lie. I know how to evaluate talent, and in my opinion Dex is the only player with enough TALENT to be a major contributor for a contender. And thats based not off of ratings, or what he's proven or lack thereof (jones is also unproven) but watching him run.

RB is one of the least important positions in CFB.

Tons of teams have great seasons by slotting in a new player or an average player at RB, while having lots of talent at the more important positions.

Tony Jones is as good as most RBs we’ll face in 2018, including Michigan’s RB (Higdon).

Our OL and RB combo is in a FAR BETTER place than Florida State’s, for example, despite the fact that they may have the best RB depth chart in CFB

Compared to ND's competition, you can't possibly be arguing that ND has a ton of talent at running back right now. They have whiffed on every top end running back since Tony Alford bounced for Ohio State. He was responsible for the recruitment of Dexter Williams and Josh Adams, btw. While Tony has been KILLING it at Ohio State, you can't say the same about the recruiting Autry has brought to Notre Dame.

Autry Denson (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Tony Jones Jr. 0.8926 Comp. #14 RB, #325 Overall
Deon McIntosh 0.8524 Comp. #48 RB, #777 Overall
CJ Holmes 0.9079 Comp. #19 RB, #245 Overall
Jahmir Smith 0.8721 Comp.#26 RB, #611 Overall
C'Bo Flemister 0.8456 Comp. #68 RB, NR Overall

Tony Alford (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Demario McCall 0.9767 Comp. #2 RB, #44 Overall
Antonio Williams 0.9286 Comp. #7 RB, #169 Overall
J.K. Dobbins 0.9791 Comp. #2 RB, # 46 Overall
Jaelin Gill 0.9831 Comp. #2 RB, #30 Overall
Brian Snead 0.9607 Comp. #3 RB, #80 Overall
Master Teague 0.9132 Comp. #11 RB, #228 Overall
Sampson James 0.9354 Comp. #7 RB, #152 Overall
Steele Chambers 0.8954 Comp. #25 ATH, #325 Overall

Tony Alford has completely dwarfed the effort from Autry Denson. Look at the disparity between those two recruiting efforts and somebody PLEASE try to defend the job Autry Denson has done in 3 years at Notre Dame, especially when you consider how many of his backs have gotten into trouble and are no longer on the team, or are suspended heading into the season. The depth chart has had to be bolstered by a wide receiver and a quarterback.

RB is one of the least important positions in CFB.

Tons of teams have great seasons by slotting in a new player or an average player at RB, while having lots of talent at the more important positions.

Tony Jones is as good as most RBs we’ll face in 2018, including Michigan’s RB (Higdon).

Our OL and RB combo is in a FAR BETTER place than Florida State’s, for example, despite the fact that they may have the best RB depth chart in CFB
Okay question remains, do you think Ohio state wins the title without Zeke? Do you think Bama wins without Derrick Henry? Do you think UGA makes it to the title game without Chubb and Michel? Do you think PSU wins a NY6 without Barkley? Running back is seeing a resurgence in college football. It is one of the most important positions in football. If you don't have an elite running back then you need a heisman level QB (or be Bama) in order to contend.

Compared to ND's competition, you can't possibly be arguing that ND has a ton of talent at running back right now. They have whiffed on every top end running back since Tony Alford bounced for Ohio State. He was responsible for the recruitment of Dexter Williams and Josh Adams, btw. While Tony has been KILLING it at Ohio State, you can't say the same about the recruiting Autry has brought to Notre Dame.

Autry Denson (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Tony Jones Jr. 0.8926 Comp. #14 RB, #325 Overall
Deon McIntosh 0.8524 Comp. #48 RB, #777 Overall
CJ Holmes 0.9079 Comp. #19 RB, #245 Overall
Jahmir Smith 0.8721 Comp.#26 RB, #611 Overall
C'Bo Flemister 0.8456 Comp. #68 RB, NR Overall

Tony Alford (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Demario McCall 0.9767 Comp. #2 RB, #44 Overall
Antonio Williams 0.9286 Comp. #7 RB, #169 Overall
J.K. Dobbins 0.9791 Comp. #2 RB, # 46 Overall
Jaelin Gill 0.9831 Comp. #2 RB, #30 Overall
Brian Snead 0.9607 Comp. #3 RB, #80 Overall
Master Teague 0.9132 Comp. #11 RB, #228 Overall
Sampson James 0.9354 Comp. #7 RB, #152 Overall
Steele Chambers 0.8954 Comp. #25 ATH, #325 Overall

Tony Alford has completely dwarfed the effort from Autry Denson. Look at the disparity between those two recruiting efforts and somebody PLEASE try to defend the job Autry Denson has done in 3 years at Notre Dame, especially when you consider how many of his backs have gotten into trouble and are no longer on the team, or are suspended heading into the season. The depth chart has had to be bolstered by a wide receiver and a quarterback.

Denson has done a poor job of recruiting at RB, no question.

ND still has more talent at RB than most of our competition though.

Okay question remains, do you think Ohio state wins the title without Zeke? Do you think Bama wins without Derrick Henry? Do you think UGA makes it to the title game without Chubb and Michel? Do you think PSU wins a NY6 without Barkley? Running back is seeing a resurgence in college football. It is one of the most important positions in football. If you don't have an elite running back then you need a heisman level QB (or be Bama) in order to contend.

Wrong. As usual.
Do you ever get any less stupid?

Running back is one of the least important positions in all of college football. It is not becoming resurgent in college football, it’s continuing to be phased out.

Running back by committee has become the norm, even for most top teams. The position just isn’t that important.

As teams like Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. have show.....RB by committee works and RB is basically “plug and play” when the rest of the team is good.

Who was the proven elite RB on Clemson last year?
On Oklahoma?
How many freshman RBs came in and dominated, because it’s the team (especially OL and QB) that matters, not the RB??

Try saying something that isn’t stupid for once in your life.

Denson has done a poor job of recruiting at RB, no question.

ND still has more talent at RB than most of our competition though.

I view ND's competition as a team they could face in the playoffs or a New Years 6 Bowl Game, not the teams on their regular season schedule. The reason being that ND doesn't play for anything other than a playoff spot and a potential birth in the national championship so comparing them to teams like Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State is more important than comparing them to Pittsburgh or Michigan.

All that said and I still am a firm believer that RB is an extremely deep position in every recruiting class given that at the high school level just about every team's best athlete plays running back. There are a lot of options. I'm just dismayed that ND has had to reach so far down the national lists each year to get a guy.

Reactions: Kelso86
Wrong. As usual.

Running back is one of the least important positions in all of college football. It is not becoming resurgent in college football, it’s continuing to be phased out.

Running back by committee has become the norm, even for most top teams. The position just isn’t that important.

As teams like Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. have show.....RB by committee works and RB is basically “plug and play” when the rest of the team is good.

On Oklahoma?
How many freshman RBs came in and dominated, because it’s the team (especially OL and QB) that matters, not the RB??

You're an idiot hahaha. I like how you just refuse to answer my question of if any of those teams would be as successful without their heisman contending running back, classic. And look what oklahoma and Clemson have had when they won titles or made deep playoff runs, 2 generational talents at QB! Clemson clearly isn't at the same level as they were when they had Watson, and Ohio state clearly isn't the same level as when they had Zeke, both teams get murdered when they get into the playoffs due to mediocre Qb and Rb play. And what freshman running backs? Taylor from Wisconsin who played absolutely nothing and couldn't buy a yard? JK Dobbing who is an elite talent, or Najee Harris who is an elite talent. Honestly tell me, do not dodge the question, would Georgia have made the title game and almost won without Chubb and Michel? Think about that while you're in between Call of Duty games in mama's basement.

Wrong. As usual.

On Oklahoma?

You're an idiot hahaha. I like how you just refuse to answer my question of if any of those teams would be as successful without their heisman contending running back, classic. And look what oklahoma and Clemson have had when they won titles or made deep playoff runs, 2 generational talents at QB! Clemson clearly isn't at the same level as they were when they had Watson, and Ohio state clearly isn't the same level as when they had Zeke, both teams get murdered when they get into the playoffs due to mediocre Qb and Rb play. And what freshman running backs? Taylor from Wisconsin who played absolutely nothing and couldn't buy a yard against a real team in Ohio state? JK Dobbing who is an elite talent, or Najee Harris who is an elite talent. Honestly tell me, do not dodge the question, would Georgia have made the title game and almost won without Chubb and Michel? Think about that while you're in between Call of Duty games in mama's basement.

Last edited:
I view ND's competition as a team they could face in the playoffs or a New Years 6 Bowl Game, not the teams on their regular season schedule. The reason being that ND doesn't play for anything other than a playoff spot and a potential birth in the national championship so comparing them to teams like Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State is more important than comparing them to Pittsburgh or Michigan.

All that said and I still am a firm believer that RB is an extremely deep position in every recruiting class given that at the high school level just about every team's best athlete plays running back. There are a lot of options. I'm just dismayed that ND has had to reach so far down the national lists each year to get a guy.
Don't worry IIO, according to the football genius Friedman running back isn't an important position in college. Ohio state would have still won without Ezekiel elliot, and Bama would have won without Derrick Henry also. Oh yea and UGA probably could have beaten Bama if they didn't have Chubb and Michel.

Dexter gets to the hole quick. He is a good runner not a good blocker right now. I hope he puts the effort into blocking that is required to be an every down back. To my understanding that Tony is a better blocker and bigger meaning 20lbs heavier. This adds up to a person more likely to get the ball when you need that 2-3 yards. Dexter seems to be more explosive but not every play is going to 30-40 yards. You need that guy that can handle the grind of 2-5 yards. Now to pass block more effectively would benefit Dexter a lot. If he shows the toughness of the 2-5 yard runs and pass blocks where BW does not get killed because of muffed assignment or not doing the right thing. Historically, Dexter has missed these blocking assignments . If he also does this and runs like you think he should then he should a young man that gets drafted in the nfl.

Dexter gets to the hole quick. He is a good runner not a good blocker right now. I hope he puts the effort into blocking that is required to be an every down back. To my understanding that Tony is a better blocker and bigger meaning 20lbs heavier. This adds up to a person more likely to get the ball when you need that 2-3 yards. Dexter seems to be more explosive but not every play is going to 30-40 yards. You need that guy that can handle the grind of 2-5 yards. Now to pass block more effectively would benefit Dexter a lot. If he shows the toughness of the 2-5 yard runs and pass blocks where BW does not get killed because of muffed assignment or not doing the right thing. Historically, Dexter has missed these blocking assignments . If he also does this and runs like you think he should then he should a young man that gets drafted in the nfl.
Tony jones is not 20 pounds heavier, he lost a lot of weight and doesn't look that wide anymore imo. And the 40 yard runs don't even impress me the most about Dex. He just gets 5 yards every single time and has amazing vision between the tackles, explosive as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT