ADVERTISEMENT

Reggie Bush & Heisman

Crime ? Play enlighten us all on what specific law that Reggie Bush violated . We'll wait...
I guess you never heard of the phrase, “ crime doesn’t pay“

And I guess that your limited IQ doesn’t allow you to make the intellectual leap that would allow you to understand the context in which I made my post.

have someone with a brain explain it to you

So you’re an advocate for selecting which rules you want to abide by
I believe breaking different rules are deserving of different punishments. In the eyes of the law, is there a harsher punishment for laundering money vs stealing a candy bar? Yep.

Am I saying Reggie “stole a candy bar?” No. But I don’t believe his crime benefited him on the field, therefor, I believe the sanctions placed on USC for the benefits he received was fair, and the Heisman trophy rightly belongs to him.

Would I feel differently if he took steroids? Yes, because that benefits him on the field. But, as you know, he didn’t, so the point is moot.

I believe breaking different rules are deserving of different punishments. In the eyes of the law, is there a harsher punishment for laundering money vs stealing a candy bar? Yep.

Am I saying Reggie “stole a candy bar?” No. But I don’t believe his crime benefited him on the field, therefor, I believe the sanctions placed on USC for the benefits he received was fair, and the Heisman trophy rightly belongs to him.

Would I feel differently if he took steroids? Yes, because that benefits him on the field. But, as you know, he didn’t, so the point is moot.
so if a investor shot someone but it had nothing to do with his business that is OK
THAT is what you are saying

If everyone makes their own determination on which rules to violate it leads to a general breakdown in the system.

It would seem that your position is that the punishment didn’t fit the crime.
I guess that’s a subjective determination

How do you discourage future rule violations, infractions and the breakdown of any system ?
Sometimes you make an example of the violator in order to discourage future violations_

Someone mentioned the reinstatement of the vacated games
If ever a punishment didn’t fit a questionable crime, I don’t know what does.

But Father Jenkins made a horrible decision and agreed, prior to the investigation, that he would abide by any determination by the NCAA,

If anything should be reversed, that should be at the top of the list

If you’ve ever strapped on a jock, you know the mental side is a massive component. If you were gifted a life changing sum of money, parents a new house- don’t think you would be better equipped to excel at hobbies/sports in your life? And why is that? Time freedom, less stress, access to resources?

CN you elaborate on what the USC monthly stipend was in 2005 compared to Reggie’s payment?
You are leaning on shadows. Who would have been the most outstanding football player if Bush had played for room and board?

so if a investor shot someone but it had nothing to do with his business that is OK
THAT is what you are saying
No, that’s not what I’m saying. I said different crimes lead to different penalties. If an investor shot someone, he should go to jail. Why is this so difficult for some to understand?

If everyone makes their own determination on which rules to violate it leads to a general breakdown in the system.

It would seem that your position is that the punishment didn’t fit the crime.
I guess that’s a subjective determination

How do you discourage future rule violations, infractions and the breakdown of any system ?
Sometimes you make an example of the violator in order to discourage future violations_

Someone mentioned the reinstatement of the vacated games
If ever a punishment didn’t fit a questionable crime, I don’t know what does.

But Father Jenkins made a horrible decision and agreed, prior to the investigation, that he would abide by any determination by the NCAA,

If anything should be reversed, that should be at the top of the list
I don’t disagree with anything you said here. I simply felt that removing the heisman from Reggie didn’t fit the crime of accepting benefits. I felt that the penalties given to USC justified the offense. In my opinion, Reggie earned the trophy by being the best player on the field and I didn’t believe his violations affected his performance. That is all.

I’m glad he got the trophy back. Look @ CFB now? Reggie Bush took money or free housing. Players taking cash is as old as apple pie in America.

Reactions: Holycrossover3
I’m glad he got the trophy back. Look @ CFB now? Reggie Bush took money or free housing. Players taking cash is as old as apple pie in America.
There’s a huge difference, it was AGAINST the rules when Reggie did it.

Reggie and USC knowingly broke the rules and you shouldn’t be rewarded for breaking the rules

Reggie and USC knowingly broke the rules and you shouldn’t be rewarded for breaking the rules
He win the free comps at Venetian award, Bush won the award for being the most outstanding player in college football, which he was.

He win the free comps at Venetian award, Bush won the award for being the most outstanding player in college football, which he was.
Won the award with impermissible financial resources not available to 99% of college football. Apparently you never been around money to see how it impacts one’s life.

Won the award with impermissible financial resources not available to 99% of college football. Apparently you never been around money to see how it impacts one’s life.
You think 99% of football players were not getting financial inducements?

Yeah you are right but he still was the best player on the field. Just tough to see the kid lose the heisman when HS players let alone college players are getting paid.

Yeah you are right but he still was the best player on the field. Just tough to see the kid lose the heisman when HS players let alone college players are getting paid.
Today, it’s within the rules for high school players to get paid.

That wasn’t the case when Reggie and USC broke the rules

While most would agree with your assessment of his talent, you can’t reward cheating !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT