ADVERTISEMENT

QBs: Transfers vs Development

Holycrossover3

Irish Guard
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2012
I know this has been a hot topic on the board this summer. When do you take a transfer vs developing a young guy? As we know, taking transfers can lead to your young recruits leaving.

Interesting fact. Of power 5 teams this year, 61% are starting a transfer QB. That number surprised me. Also, of the last 5 Heisman QBs, 3 were transfers. The portal has clearly changed the QB development process.

I would assume there has to be a “it’s worth it” level. Example, Hartman for a year was worth it for ND (or I guess we will find out.)

I wonder how much better the transfer has to be to risk losing the younger recruits? If it’s somewhat close in talent & production, you would assume coaches would stay with the player with more eligibility.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I know this has been a hot topic on the board this summer. When do you take a transfer vs developing a young guy? As we know, taking transfers can lead to your young recruits leaving.

Interesting fact. Of power 5 teams this year, 61% are starting a transfer QB. That number surprised me. Also, of the last 5 Heisman QBs, 3 were transfers. The portal has clearly changed the QB development process.

I would assume there has to be a “it’s worth it” level. Example, Hartman for a year was worth it for ND (or I guess we will find out.)

I wonder how much better the transfer has to be to risk losing the younger recruits? If it’s somewhat close in talent & production, you would assume coaches would stay with the player with more eligibility.
You take a transfer QB if you think you have a team that can compete for something meaningful, but are lacking at the QB position. Of course the transfer QB's skill level also plays heavily into that. Obviously if you are not lacking, you don't. If it is going to be an up/down or rebuild year, you throw a younger developmental QB into the fire.

That's my humble opinion.

Excellent post

To me it looks like collegiate football is looking for ways to ruin the game

Last edited:
Excellent post

To meet it looks like collegiate football is looking for ways to ruin the game
It’s certainly a double edged sword. Looking back pre transfer portal times, two of our more productive QBs were Quinn & Clausen, but, we certainly went through growing pains with each in their early years.

Unfortunately there’s no longer the “water the plant and let it grow” mentality when it comes to QB’s.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
The way I see it, you set an expectation for your team that a QB has to perform at some base line level in order to go out and compete in all of your games. If a young QB has that, you develop him. If none of your QB’s have that, go get a transfer. I think ND did the right thing this year. I believe we will have a better stable of QB’s with Angeli, Minchey, and Carr under coach Gino. One of those three I feel will meet the base line criteria.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT