ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Las Vegas Active Shooter

"Others have called me out" ? They called me out over what? My initial post said we'll have to wait and see what type of gun was used. It's well known that automatic weapons are illegal. A semi-automatic can still be fired 90-120 rounds a minute.

Based on your response I take it that you have no idea what was used?
Look you politicized the thread bro, others were just sending condolences......let it play it out.....geez man.

So a tragedy happens involving fully automatic weapons. Not sure if they were modified to be fully automatic or if he somehow got his hands on a fully automatic weapon through black market.

Like clockwork the pro-gun and people in favor of some gun restrictions are at it. Can't we at least wait 24 hours to pray for the victims of this cowardly despicable act?
I understand the gun dialogue and think it is natural after an event like this but people need to stop deeming the other side stupid or ignorant.

So a tragedy happens involving fully automatic weapons. Not sure if they were modified to be fully automatic or if he somehow got his hands on a fully automatic weapon through black market.

Like clockwork the pro-gun and people in favor of some gun restrictions are at it. Can't we at least wait 24 hours to pray for the victims of this cowardly despicable act?
I understand the gun dialogue and think it is natural after an event like this but people need to stop deeming the other side stupid or ignorant.

I asked this earlier and no one ever answers. Do you have a link of where they've identified what was used?

This is the exact time to have this conversation. It's uncomfortable and it's awful, but this is exactly when we should be having the conversation.

Reactions: benko's army
I agree that the weapon sounded automatic. Have they announced what he actually had?

I have no idea what my local politician is spinning. Just use common sense. If you don't think these events are happening because practically anyone can get their hands on a gun - you're either naïve or dumb.

The black market argument is silly. We've already had plenty of these events where the weapons were bought legally.
Not true at all . A flat out lie .

Reactions: U2fan
I asked this earlier and no one ever answers. Do you have a link of where they've identified what was used?

This is the exact time to have this conversation. It's uncomfortable and it's awful, but this is exactly when we should be having the conversation.
I don't think they have put that out there. But from the audio, I don't think anyone is disputing that it was fully automatic.

No, youre answering your own question. Let's wait until we have information to have the conversation.

Reactions: thomasna

I disagree. It just happened. Give it a day before both sides start gnashing at one another. It's disrespectful to the dead and wounded. Our full attention should be on them and their families.

Reactions: U2fan and Grizz23

I don't have a link but heard someone interviewed on CBS news. Don't know the exact weapons but they were automatic rifles according to CBS news. I didn't say the time was wrong for this conversation but that each side should be respectful.

For instances, the people that deemed you and all liberals ignorant, don't seem to know the gun laws in Nevada.

Per Newsweek:
Nevada law does not require firearms owners to have licenses, register their weapons, or limits the number of firearms an individual posses. Automatic assault weapons and machine guns are also legal in the state as long as they are registered and are possessed in adherence to federal law, according to the National Rifle Association.

Nevada does not prohibit the transfer or possession of assault weapons, 50 caliber rifles or large capacity ammunition magazines. Local law enforcement issues concealed handgun licenses. Open carry is legal without a permit.

Reactions: Grizz23 and tbru13
I don't have a link but heard someone interviewed on CBS news. Don't know the exact weapons but they were automatic rifles according to CBS news. I didn't say the time was wrong for this conversation but that each side should be respectful.

For instances, the people that deemed you and all liberals ignorant, don't seem to know the gun laws in Nevada.

Per Newsweek:
Nevada law does not require firearms owners to have licenses, register their weapons, or limits the number of firearms an individual posses. Automatic assault weapons and machine guns are also legal in the state as long as they are registered and are possessed in adherence to federal law, according to the National Rifle Association.

Nevada does not prohibit the transfer or possession of assault weapons, 50 caliber rifles or large capacity ammunition magazines. Local law enforcement issues concealed handgun licenses. Open carry is legal without a permit.
A normal person can get automatic weapons. It involves a huge fee and an ATF background check. Unless this guy is a certified gun dealer or has something to do with the military, he did not get an automatic weapon legally.

A normal person can get automatic weapons. It involves a huge fee and an ATF background check. Unless this guy is a certified gun dealer or has something to do with the military, he did not get an automatic weapon legally.
You assumed I didn't know that. I am aware but I have no idea what this guy's background is. He might be a gun dealer or do something with the military. We don't know yet unless you have heard something.

Our reaction will be the same as every other mass casualty/shooter event. Outrage. Each "side" with its tired cliche stances. We ACCEPT this as life in America. The killing of 20 kindergarten changed nothing - THIS will change nothing. There will just be another...and another... and another. And gun sales will go up. That's a given.
This is so true. Las Vegas will be added to Littleton, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Orlando, etc. in a continual line of firearms out of control. If anything, the outrage serves as a catharsis to return things to "normal."

If this disgusting act can't bring the country together we'll be divided forever.

It's disgusting and anyone sticking up for the gun lobby should be ashamed of themselves.

Every civilized country in the world has stopped or slowed gun violence through sensitively gun legislation, not elimination of all guns, but sensible gun laws.

Anyone who denies that is a fool.

You all realize that automatic weapons are illegal outside of very few people who are able to get permits for range businesses. There are a number of these businesses in Vegas that let you shoot automatic weapons, but it costs an extravagant amount of money.
Thank God. Well, that pretty much solves the problem, then...

Sandy Hook brought everyone together. A large majority of Americans wanting changes to gun control laws. Congress did nothing.
And Congress won't do anything now. The NRA swings a big d*ck in D.C.

The gun at Sandy Hook were bought it was legal and that animal used that gun to kill his mother, who bought the gun, and 26 innocent people. Gun laws could have prevented this, but we do nothing!

Good chance it was.
He had "converted" fully automatic weapons. These are illegal.

However, semi-auto guns are not. You can buy these and convert them pretty easily. That aside, you cannot regulate insanity and evil. One way or another crazy people will find a way to accomplish their sadistic ideas.

It's just sad. So very sad.

You cannot in any way shape or form buy an AUTOMATIC MACHINE GUN here since they were banned like in the 70's. So it was obviously done on the black market which would have happened no matter the restrictions.

Could stop manufacturing them; will stop new weapons on the black market so hopefully numbers do gi down.

God: "Stop sending me prayers for the dead, the injured and their families. I keep letting these incidents happen so that you will do something about it...but you don't..no more prayers, my ears are closed"

It's disgusting and anyone sticking up for the gun lobby should be ashamed of themselves.

Every civilized country in the world has stopped or slowed gun violence through sensitively gun legislation, not elimination of all guns, but sensible gun laws.

Anyone who denies that is a fool.

And Congress won't do anything now. The NRA swings a big d*ck in D.C.

Yeah, see for some reason people can't get this through their heads. The 2nd Amendment clearly gives individuals the right to own firearms. That has been upheld through Supreme Court rulings.

Due to this, Congress is limited on what kind of gun control measures it can pass (which is not the case in other countries). So, to get stricter gun laws like those overseas, there needs to be a constitutional amendment that alters the 2nd Amendment.

However, some people choose not to recognize this reality, and instead bang their heads against a wall, demanding instant, sweeping legislation. Sometimes in life, it you want to do something right, you have to do it the hard way.

God: "Stop sending me prayers for the dead, the injured and their families. I keep letting these incidents happen so that you will do something about it...but you don't..no more prayers, my ears are closed"

You obviously do not know God

Yeah, see for some reason people can't get this through their heads. The 2nd Amendment clearly gives individuals the right to own firearms. That has been upheld through Supreme Court rulings.

Due to this, Congress is limited on what kind of gun control measures it can pass (which is not the case in other countries). So, to get stricter gun laws like those overseas, there needs to be a constitutional amendment that alters the 2nd Amendment.

However, some people choose not to recognize this reality, and instead bang their heads against a wall, demanding instant, sweeping legislation. Sometimes in life, it you want to do something right, you have to do it the hard way.

This is completely false. Even the most basic, reasonable, and sane adjustments have been taken out by the NRA.

Guns are not the problem. It is and always is a people problem.
Anyone determined to commit an evil act will obtain the means and opportunity.

Again, use some common sense. In Europe they have knife attacks because guns are restricted. Do you think someone with a knife could kill 58 people and injure over 500 people by himself?

Again, use some common sense. In Europe they have knife attacks because guns are restricted. Do you think someone with a knife could kill 58 people and injure over 500 people by himself?

You'll have a better chance of becoming a citizen in Europe then take away my rights to bear arms

This is completely false. Even the most basic, reasonable, and sane adjustments have been taken out by the NRA.

No, sorry, that's not completely false. You simply cannot pass the same gun laws here as you can overseas, as the Constitution is currently constructed. Most countries overseas require individuals to have a license to own guns. You can't do that here, due to the 2nd Amendment and subsequent court rulings. On top of that, most countries require an individual to demonstrate a need for a gun, and self-defense is often not an accepted need. Again, that would not be possible to do under the current constitutional framework.

It's simply intellectual laziness to blame everything on the NRA.

And going further down the common sense route, Europeans don't have the constitutional restrictions as we do in the United States, and thus can pass more comprehensive gun laws than we are currently capable of doing.

Reactions: Ara64
Can we stop with the fiction that our current gun policy is based upon rational disagreement? Can we acknowledge that our approach to gun ownership is nothing more than the NRA saying "We've bought off enough people to steer the law, and scared enough people to have political cover. You can't do anything about it because the victims of gun violence can't vote, so screw you." And they're right. Everything else is bunk.

I commonly hear four arguments for the nearly-unlimited right to personal ownership of firearms. They are dumb:

1. Personal firearms are a bulwark against tyranny. If you think there is any cache of firearms that will save you and your family from a military we all frequently praise as "the most powerful fighting force ever created," you have watched Red Dawn one too many times. You are not Patrick Swayze or Rambo, and your tough-guy fantasies are not reason enough for more people to die every year.

2. I shouldn't have to give up my bitchin' guns because someone else is violent or crazy. Um, that's what society is -- a collective agreement to restrict some behavior in return for security and prosperity. The idea that the kids in Newtown or the concertgoers in Vegas shouldn't be alive because you like your stuff is breathtakingly selfish. I agree that your guns probably aren't a threat, but I can't drive 100 mph on I-69 because others who try it will kill someone. Get over it and join society.

3. You'll never get rid of bad guys with guns, so I need to have guns to protect myself. Surprisingly circular, and demonstrably untrue. It's true that there's TONS more guns here than elsewhere, but that's at least partially because we've spentlifetimes saying "there's too many guns." Everywhere that's mostly gotten rid of guns has been incredibly successful. This argument amounts to "I know there will be way fewer deaths, but without my gun there's an infinitesimally small increase in the risk that I'll be the victim of gun violence and won't be able to shoot back." First, that's not supported by data. Second, how many innocent Americans' lives will you sacrifice for a tiny risk to you? A risk (assuming it existed) that could be completely ameliorated by carrying other defenses, like a Taser or pepper spray. But carrying pepper spray doesn't make you feel like Clint Eastwood, right?

4. It's in the Constitution! This isn't really an argument. There's been lots of stuff in the Constitution that became a problem when it began being interpreted in a certain way. And there's lots of stuff that was in the Constitution until we changed it because whatever its value in the past, it wasn't working for us. Some people think gun control would require a constitutional amendment, and others do not. I don't care. Stuff should be in the Constitution because it's wise; it isn't wise just because it's in the Constitution.

One more thing terrorists are using Vehicles now and what's the best way to stop a terrorist in a vehicle..... Is a firearm

You'll have a better chance of becoming a citizen in Europe then take away my rights to bear arms

I missed the part where it says you have the right to bear assault rifles in the constitution.

Here's a picture of a gun available when they wrote the 2nd amendment. Again, use common sense.
15297770_1.jpg

A heartbreaking tragedy. My condolences to the victims family and friends.
I was up late last night when I saw this on the news. They said at least 2 dead. I wondered how that could be with so many shots fired but when I saw the news today it was upsetting to see the number of dead so much higher.
Are these killers possessed with evil? No other explanation in my mind.
So very sorry this happened.

Can we stop with the fiction that our current gun policy is based upon rational disagreement? Can we acknowledge that our approach to gun ownership is nothing more than the NRA saying "We've bought off enough people to steer the law, and scared enough people to have political cover. You can't do anything about it because the victims of gun violence can't vote, so screw you." And they're right. Everything else is bunk.

I commonly hear four arguments for the nearly-unlimited right to personal ownership of firearms. They are dumb:

1. Personal firearms are a bulwark against tyranny. If you think there is any cache of firearms that will save you and your family from a military we all frequently praise as "the most powerful fighting force ever created," you have watched Red Dawn one too many times. You are not Patrick Swayze or Rambo, and your tough-guy fantasies are not reason enough for more people to die every year.

2. I shouldn't have to give up my bitchin' guns because someone else is violent or crazy. Um, that's what society is -- a collective agreement to restrict some behavior in return for security and prosperity. The idea that the kids in Newtown or the concertgoers in Vegas shouldn't be alive because you like your stuff is breathtakingly selfish. I agree that your guns probably aren't a threat, but I can't drive 100 mph on I-69 because others who try it will kill someone. Get over it and join society.

3. You'll never get rid of bad guys with guns, so I need to have guns to protect myself. Surprisingly circular, and demonstrably untrue. It's true that there's TONS more guns here than elsewhere, but that's at least partially because we've spentlifetimes saying "there's too many guns." Everywhere that's mostly gotten rid of guns has been incredibly successful. This argument amounts to "I know there will be way fewer deaths, but without my gun there's an infinitesimally small increase in the risk that I'll be the victim of gun violence and won't be able to shoot back." First, that's not supported by data. Second, how many innocent Americans' lives will you sacrifice for a tiny risk to you? A risk (assuming it existed) that could be completely ameliorated by carrying other defenses, like a Taser or pepper spray. But carrying pepper spray doesn't make you feel like Clint Eastwood, right?

4. It's in the Constitution! This isn't really an argument. There's been lots of stuff in the Constitution that became a problem when it began being interpreted in a certain way. And there's lots of stuff that was in the Constitution until we changed it because whatever its value in the past, it wasn't working for us. Some people think gun control would require a constitutional amendment, and others do not. I don't care. Stuff should be in the Constitution because it's wise; it isn't wise just because it's in the Constitution.
I don't believe Red Dawn was out when the militias were fighting the Redcoats

95% of your post is hogwash

We can't stop, because it's not fiction.

Here is what you don't get. It's not the wisdom of the individual issue that's the problem. The problem is, if you disregard one portion of the Constitution, then you open up the door to disregard other portions of the Constitution.

In other words, if you say, "Screw the 2nd Amendment! Just pass whatever laws you need for gun control," the problem is somebody else could say, "Screw the 4th Amendment! Just pass whatever laws you need to arrest criminals." There IS a domino effect, and there ARE unintended consequences. That's why you have to deal with these issues through a very specific method.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT