ADVERTISEMENT

OSU has real problems on defense

According to your depth chart it’s a 3-3-5
Not a very smart defense to run in the B10. Your DC will find out quickly this is not B12 pass first football.

That is not a run stop defense. That is a defense you play against passing teams.

That’s the only reason you play 5 DBs.

Big mistake.
They run a 4-2-5 base and will bring in a SAM linebacker against 12 personnel. Knowles isn't stupid he explained this all during the spring.

That could be a real concern against their DL who return Zach Harrison and those two true freshmen DEs from last year - Sawyer and Tumoloiua (sp?). Sawyer and Tumoloiua were ranked the 4th and 5th overall recruits in the 2021 class and I read that they were the 2 highest ranked DEs (combined) ever signed by one school on the Composite. Both of those kids really came on strong the last part of the year. They also return 4 of their top 6 inside players. The DL will definitely be the strength of their defense.
Knowles said this spring that the DL was much better than he expected it to be. They gave an OL with multiple future first round draft prospects all kinds of issues this spring

Knowles said this spring that the DL was much better than he expected it to be. They gave an OL with multiple future first round draft prospects all kinds of issues this spring
The DL is like 2 and 3 deep at every position. It will be strength on strength when it goes against the ND OL

I think you are overrating your OL. I don't see multiple firsts on there

The DL is like 2 and 3 deep at every position. It will be strength on strength when it goes against the ND OL
Wasn't it also the strength last year although it probably didn't take much with the crappy back seven OSU had ? That's not a shot - just repeating what most OSU fans say about both the 2020 and 2021 defensive units.

Question for you. I visit the OSU (and UM and PSU) sites quite a bit and I keep seeing Kerry Coombs referred to as the DC and DB coach last year, Was he both as most on the OSU sites (especially Eleven Warriors) say he was a major disappointment along with a few other defensive coaches - who were all let go.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe multiple 1st AND 2nd day picks but not strictly 1st round, I've also read that their starting 5 is one of the top 2 or 3 in the country but they don't have the depth - right now - that they usually have maybe going just 7 deep.

Paris Johnson Jr former 5 star at left tackle is mocked to be in the top 5-10 picks in any 2023 draft you find. Dawand Jones the other tackle has been mentioned as a potential first rounder. Donovan Jackson at G was a 5 star and top interior lineman in the country in the 2021 class. An absolute freak, strongest player on the team type that got on the field situationally last year and will be a guaranteed first rounder in 2024. Luke Wypler was the #2 center in the country as a recruit and started every game as a freshman last year he will be a very high draft pick when he comes out he's as good as any center in the country. Wypler impressed during his first season as a starter last season with a 79.6 overall grade and yielded only eight pressures on 516 pass-blocking snaps. Matt Jones at the other guard isn't a first rounder but he's a 6th year player and former 4 star that's played a lot of snaps in his career.

Paris Johnson Jr former 5 star at left tackle is mocked to be in the top 5-10 picks in any 2023 draft you find. Dawand Jones the other tackle has been mentioned as a potential first rounder. Donovan Jackson at G was a 5 star and top interior lineman in the country in the 2021 class. An absolute freak, strongest player on the team type that got on the field situationally last year and will be a guaranteed first rounder in 2024. Luke Wypler was the #2 center in the country as a recruit and started every game as a freshman last year he will be a very high draft pick when he comes out he's as good as any center in the country. Wypler impressed during his first season as a starter last season with a 79.6 overall grade and yielded only eight pressures on 516 pass-blocking snaps. Matt Jones at the other guard isn't a first rounder but he's a 6th year player and former 4 star that's played a lot of snaps in his career.
Okay now I definitely know you are overrating your OL

Okay now I definitely know you are overrating your OL
Draftwire's updated 2023 has PJJ #11 and Dawand Jones #42

Profootballnetwork has PJJ #6 and Dawand Jones #30

Don't think they're including Wypler who would be draft eligible but PFF has him the third best C available

Jackson is the 5th best player in the early 2024 draft. They're legit up front

Wasn't it also the strength last year although it probably didn't take much with the crappy back seven OSU had ? That's not a shot - just repeating what most OSU fans say about both the 2020 and 2021 defensive units.

Question for you. I visit the OSU (and UM and PSU) sites quite a bit and I keep seeing Kerry Coombs referred to as the DC and DB coach last year, Was he both as most on the OSU sites (especially Eleven Warriors) say he was a major disappointment along with a few other defensive coaches - who were all let go.
It was the best unit on the defense last year but it was also not great. Last years DL to me was good overall, it was below Ohio State standards however but it was not terrible. They were top 30 in run defense and and top 30 in sacks (OSU sacks are almost exclusively from the DL, that will change under Knowles).

The problems to me reside in the fact that the team was very young on defense, and that's true on the DL. Our best, most talented line guys were freshman last year. Guys like Jack Sawyer, JTT, Tyliek Williams all freshman and all not ready for the big moments. The other problem was the upper classmen were bad or took a step back, I don't know what happened. Tyreke Smith was average, Zach Harrison was in my opinion average but he came back, and Taron Vincent has been a bust so far.

So you take a good but not great DL that has some trouble stopping the run and pressuring the QB and that gives good teams on your schedule the opportunity to attack the weakness of your back 7. What you really want is the 2019 defense. A great DL with Chase Young getting after QB's who need to release the ball quicker, but excellent corners and safeties who can blanket receivers. That team however was very upper class heavy and the 2021 defense was the youngest I've seen it in awhile. Luckily in 2022 there's a lot talent and veteran leadership on the defense. All the playmakers and contributors are sophomores and older

I don't know why you think the OL is being overvalued.

PJJ - 5* recruit in the 2020 class with a year of starting experience, moving from RG to LT
Matthew Jones - 4* former top 100 recruit in 2018, career backup but has played in some games and has played very well. Fans wish he played more in past years
Luke Wypler - 4* former top 100 recruit in 2021 that started at center the entire year his freshman season
Donovan Jackson - 5* recruit in 2021 class, new starter but obviously very talented. Might be the best overall of the starting 5 when all is said and done.
Dawand Jones - 3* recruit but likely underrated. He's 6-8 360 and very athletic and mobile with a basketball background. Last year was his first year starting at RT and he was very solid, rose up mock draftboards.

But the most important thing is the Ryan Day got rid of Greg Studrawa and brought in Justin Frye. Both those guys are good coaches but Stud was past his prime and it was time to move on. Stud was a lazy guy and lazy recruiter and I heard there was beef between Day and Stud about Stud not teaching the OL zone blocking schemes, which Day wants but OSU never ran. We have the guys for it but never do it, that's probably changing this year.

Draftwire's updated 2023 has PJJ #11 and Dawand Jones #42

Profootballnetwork has PJJ #6 and Dawand Jones #30

Don't think they're including Wypler who would be draft eligible but PFF has him the third best C available

Jackson is the 5th best player in the early 2024 draft. They're legit up front
Their good. You are overrating them

But not as good
How would you know how good they are? They led the way for the #1 offense last year and gave up only 17 sacks in 13 games, for comparison Notre Dame gave up 35 sacks in the same number of games.

First, I already know some of the responses I will get:

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

The issues last year for the OSU defense was not scheme or technique. It was personal.

Looking at the last 2 games of the season (Michigan and Utah). Stats do not lie.

VS. Michigan
They gave up 487 yards 297 of those yards were rushing.

VS. Utah
They gave up 463 total yards 237 were rushing.

The strength of this ND team will be the Oline/rush game. I expect ND to rush for 250-300 yards on OSU. For everyone that is saying "OSU will just load the box and make the inexperienced QB throw", not gonna happen. OSU will not load the box vs ND. they never load the box against anyone. Michigan had an average passing game. OSU did not load the box against them.

Also, OSU has an average run game. They are a team that has an NFL QB and they will air it out 65-70 percent of the time.

ND will control this game on the ground.
Notre Dame is bad on defense....Ohio State is going to run them out of the Shoe.

How would you know how good they are? They led the way for the #1 offense last year and gave up only 17 sacks in 13 games, for comparison Notre Dame gave up 35 sacks in the same number of games.
From watching them. You're OL is good. The person who was on here acting like you have multiple first rd picks and is going to be like the best in the nation is overrating them

Our OL was awful last year. Yours was solid

Last edited:
From watching them. You're OL is good. The person who was on here acting like you have multiple first rd picks and is going to be like the best in the nation is overrating them
But that's not an exaggeration, there is a lot of talented guys on the OL. Only a select handful actually get drafted in the first and second rounds but the entire OL has the potential to. Do I think both tackles get drafted in the first round? Definitely not that rarely happens. But if one gets drafted in the first round and the other gets taken in rounds 2 or 3 then I would say they aren't being overrated, and that is very possible.

But that's not an exaggeration, there is a lot of talented guys on the OL. Only a select handful actually get drafted in the first and second rounds but the entire OL has the potential to. Do I think both tackles get drafted in the first round? Definitely not that rarely happens. But if one gets drafted in the first round and the other gets taken in rounds 2 or 3 then I would say they aren't being overrated, and that is very possible.
Our 2 tackles have a better chance of going 1st round than yours if you really want to know

You act like players can't improve and coaches don't make a difference.

Let's hope that's not the case because our OL will be awful again this year.

But I think every knows that is not the case

But you keep on keeping on
The earth is round

Our OL was awful last year. Yours was solid
Physically this is the best looking OSU OL in decades. Donovan Jackson is probably the most talented guard they've had in Columbus in years-83 inch arms, a 7 foot wingspan, does 30 reps on the bench, incredibly quick and agile. The two bookend tackles are monsters, they can run like deer. Paris Johnson Jr is pound for pound the best athlete on the entire team and WILL be a top 10 pick in the draft because he's the prototype NFL tackle. Jones is a 6'8 340 freaky athlete that will tear up the combine. When you have three starting OL that are among the top 7 overall testing athletes on a team loaded with dudes, that will tell you something.

Physically this is the best looking OSU OL in decades. Donovan Jackson is probably the most talented guard they've had in Columbus in years-83 inch arms, a 7 foot wingspan, does 30 reps on the bench, incredibly quick and agile. The two bookend tackles are monsters, they can run like deer. Paris Johnson Jr is pound for pound the best athlete on the entire team and WILL be a top 10 pick in the draft because he's the prototype NFL tackle. Jones is a 6'8 340 freaky athlete that will tear up the combine. When you have three starting OL that are among the top 7 overall testing athletes on a team loaded with dudes, that will tell you something.
All this described elite talent, I am still surprised Michigan whipped Ohio St. decisively last season.

All this described elite talent, I am still surprised Michigan whipped Ohio St. decisively last season.
Well having a team full of players with the flu didn't help their cause but offense wasn't the primary issue that game it was the defense and their inability to get off the field. Ojabo got his ass kicked all day and the offense put up over 450 yards but they couldn't run the ball with much success. But none the less, the OL coach was fired and replaced by someone that should bring better consistency, more physicality and some new schemes to the run game

Lol

I do have a question since this thread is about defense (mostly OSU). How strong is the ND DBs, Obviously, they're going against the best WRs in the country and will have their hands full. No doubt that Jaxon-Smith Whatever and Marvin Harrison is the best one-two combo in the country in 2022

I do have a question since this thread is about defense (mostly OSU). How strong is the ND DBs, Obviously, they're going against the best WRs in the country and will have their hands full. No doubt that Jaxon-Smith Whatever and Marvin Harrison is the best one-two combo in the country in 2022
Cam Hart is a very good corner. Should be a potential top draft pick. Long and athletic

Brandon Joseph is a very good safety. Another potential top draft pick. Looks really instinctive and good ball skills

After those 2 is huge question marks at the other corner and safety spot. It's going to be a problem going against OSU. Front 7 has to get home to give us a chance

Bracy at slot is a solid player

We need the front 7 to wreak havoc or we can be in trouble

Actually, I have read where many projections have this OSU OL as one of the top 2 to 3 units in the country and most of that is based on their starting 5 which is really, really good. But what could be a major concern - especially late in the season and what some OSU fans are leaving out - is their iffy depth on the OL right now. They have 6 - maybe 7 at best - players that they can count on as quite a few of their very young OL are still developing and trying to earn a spot in the 2 deep.. In reality, their OL depth is their only concern on offense right now as every other offensive unit is stacked.

The defense? Let's wait and see especially after last year's disaster. As mentioned before, there's no way they can be any worse. The OSU LB play is key to their success this year even though they'll be using a 4-2-5 scheme a good bit of the time. Their DL should be really good and the DBs OK-decent. But the LBs? ............

Cam Hart is a very good corner. Should be a potential top draft pick. Long and athletic

Brandon Joseph is a very good safety. Another potential top draft pick. Looks really instinctive and good ball skills

After those 2 is huge question marks at the other corner and safety spot. It's going to be a problem going against OSU. Front 7 has to get home to give us a chance

Bracy at slot is a solid player

We need the front 7 to wreak havoc or we can be in trouble
I remember Joseph at Northwestern as he gave Iowa all kinds of fits. An excellent pickup for ND.

Actually, I have read where many projections have this OSU OL as one of the top 2 to 3 units in the country and most of that is based on their starting 5 which is really, really good. But what could be a major concern - especially late in the season and what some OSU fans are leaving out - is their iffy depth on the OL right now. They have 6 - maybe 7 at best - players that they can count on as quite a few of their very young OL are still developing and trying to earn a spot in the 2 deep.. In reality, their OL depth is their only concern on offense right now as every other offensive unit is stacked.

The defense? Let's wait and see especially after last year's disaster. As mentioned before, there's no way they can be any worse. The OSU LB play is key to their success this year even though they'll be using a 4-2-5 scheme a good bit of the time. Their DL should be really good and the DBs OK-decent. But the LBs? ............
I was laughing about the best OSU line in decades

Ohio State probably has the best group of WRs in the country, but saying best 1/2 punch i'm not sure. Harrison obviously talented but very inexperienced. Maybe 100 yards receiving in mop up time last year.

Cam Hart could be one of the top corners in the country. Joseph our safety has a lot of ability. I think the second safety will be ok, but i'm significantly worried about our 2nd corner.

I'm also worried that Freeman said it's clear JD betrand is one of our top 3 LBs. He is undersized, didn't tackle well when blitzing last year, and isn't a good cover player.

We do get Marist back, if he's healthy he could be one of the top blitzing LBs in the country. I'd expect you will see and we as ND fans need to see Marist in Strouds face a lot, similar to what he did vs Howell 2 years ago.

The other big question for me is Golden as DC. I have high hopes for him and that he will clean up some of the awful structure in Freemans game plan (foskey, Justin A, betrand, White in 2nd and 3rd level coverages on passing plays). There's a lot to like on the foundation of what freeman built, but if you take away some of the moronic, and add some more looks from athletic LBs/Secondary I think we can see significant improvement on the D. Our PPG last year was fools gold because of our ball control offense we ran at times, and terrible offenses we played all season.

Ohio State probably has the best group of WRs in the country, but saying best 1/2 punch i'm not sure. Harrison obviously talented but very inexperienced. Maybe 100 yards receiving in mop up time last year.
I do agree with Harrison's inexperience but he really shined last year when he had a chance to play - specifically blowing up in the Rose Bowl when both Wilson and Olave sat out for the future NFL draft. He had a huge Rose Bowl. But he will be pushed for playing time by both Egbuka and Fleming who were both national #1 receivers in their classes.

I did find this WR duo rating on 247 recently. They also think highly of Harrison

The OSU boards are notorious for banning visiting non-ass kissers
Well, I do still post on all their boards (I'm Iowa) and believe me, after we waxed their butts in 2017 - 55-24 - I gave them many reasons to ban me. The two boards that I am banned on is the ON3 PSU board and MGoBlue (Michigan) board. I especially find that Michigan board really sensitive.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Well, I do still post on all their boards (I'm Iowa) and believe me, after we waxed their butts in 2017 - 55-24 - I gave them many reasons to ban me. The two boards that I am banned on is the ON3 PSU board and MGoBlue (Michigan) board. I especially find that Michigan board really sensitive.
Curious. Why were you banned? And do you believe you deserved to be banned?

Curious. Why were you banned? And do you believe you deserved to be banned?
I don't even remember the exact post on the PSU board but the one that got me kicked off the MGoBlue board was when I referenced Harbaugh being a booger-eater (remember the Video ?) after a few of them were ripping the Hawkeyes - badly. Yeah, I probably deserved to be banned. I now post again on both those boards under different names - just a little more careful.

The one thing I won't do is refer to some of the sickening stuff that has went on at some schools - all over - on their boards - as 99.9% of their fans deplore it also, especially the Sandusky - PSU stuff with minors. I know a handful of PSU fans that just wish Sandusky would die in prison and just go away. They're all really good, decent people.

Reactions: sjb75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT