ADVERTISEMENT

OSU has real problems on defense

Your right, they won’t give up 30 points a game. Why? Because outside of Notre Dane and Michigan they have a pretty easy schedule.

My point, OSU will not win games because of their defense.

I will stand by my assessment that the OSU run defense has problems.

I will also stand by my prediction that ND will rush for over 250 yards on OSU.
250 is a bold statement….. I’d be happy with 150 rushing

gotta be playing with lead to rush for over 200

250 is a bold statement….. I’d be happy with 150 rushing

gotta be playing with lead to rush for over 200
250 yards is very possible if the tosu defense is as soft as it was last year especially with TB at QB.

Reactions: Zorich 88
If you wanna see how average the OSU LBs are, then you need to watch highlights of the Mich/OSU game.

This is a 2min clip

This is a very brief example of how average the LBs are. Watch #22 Chambers their starting WILL.

Small and gets dominated consistently.

This is just one example.
Al Washington is a loser of a coach he had no business coaching that position group

Naw bro. Your secondary sucks.
Denzel Burke is a future top 5 pick who started last year as a true freshman. Ronnie Hickman is an all B10 safety. Josh Proctor was lost for the season against Oregon and is one of the best players on the team if he stays healthy. Cam Brown has been off and on hurt but he's really good. The two other corners are both former top 50 players from the 2021 class and are expected to make major impacts this year. Tim Walton and Perry Eliano will make a huge difference on the back end. Secondary will not be an issue.

That's highly unlikely
Honestly, the game plan should be to control the clock and keep the osu offense off the field. ND secondary is suspect and osu's offense is loaded with nfl talent. OSU defense is vulnerable against the run, so 250 is possible.

I remember last season when very few gave an average at best Oregon team any chance in Columbus.

Then the game was played.
That was last year, this is a new year with a much better DC and a bunch of young players maturing a year. The defense returns 7 starters and a bunch of depth players. I can't stress enough how young Ohio State was as a team last year on both sides of the ball.

Honestly, the game plan should be to control the clock and keep the osu offense off the field. ND secondary is suspect and osu's offense is loaded with nfl talent. OSU defense is vulnerable against the run, so 250 is possible.
And they will game plan for that. We are going to have to be able to throw to win. They will load the box so 250 is highly unlikely

I remember last season when very few gave an average at best Oregon team any chance in Columbus.

Then the game was played.
They werent average at best and a lot of people gave them a chance

If ND cannot run the ball then it will be a long day for ND fans.

Ohio state has one goal for this game. Throw the ball all over the field against a questionable ND secondary.

I expect OSU to throw the ball at least 40 times. (Threw the ball 49 vs Michigan).

ND will have to show they can throw the ball. The best TE in the country will have the game of his life.

I am very confident about this game.

ND will score in the 40’s and OSU in the 30’s.

Who? Henderson? Yup, fast hits the hole well. However, I stand by my statement, OSU does not have a great run game.
tOSU has the talent to have a great run attack. The talent has exceed the actual results. It is scary the talent on that roster. ND can only hope the tOSU OL issues continue, or it could get ugly early.

That was game 2 of last year, the team was young get over it. In Notre Dames 2nd game last year they beat Toledo by 3 points.
Toledo was vastly under rated and had a great team! Penalties and errors held ND back or ND wins by 60!

First, I already know some of the responses I will get:

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

The issues last year for the OSU defense was not scheme or technique. It was personal.

Looking at the last 2 games of the season (Michigan and Utah). Stats do not lie.

VS. Michigan
They gave up 487 yards 297 of those yards were rushing.

VS. Utah
They gave up 463 total yards 237 were rushing.

The strength of this ND team will be the Oline/rush game. I expect ND to rush for 250-300 yards on OSU. For everyone that is saying "OSU will just load the box and make the inexperienced QB throw", not gonna happen. OSU will not load the box vs ND. they never load the box against anyone. Michigan had an average passing game. OSU did not load the box against them.

Also, OSU has an average run game. They are a team that has an NFL QB and they will air it out 65-70 percent of the time.

ND will control this game on the ground.
Utah is also traditionally the best defense in the Pac 12. And Ohio state scored a bunch

Yup, OSU can score points, I get it. However, my point is they give up a lot of points.
My pops coached the QB who came in in the fourth quarter for Utah in HS. Kid started as a walk on. Never threw a pass in a game for Utah. And then led them on I believe 2 scoring drives. If Rising stays in they blow the doors off Ohio state.

Reactions: Zorich 88
My pops coached the QB who came in in the fourth quarter for Utah in HS. Kid started as a walk on. Never threw a pass in a game for Utah. And then led them on I believe 2 scoring drives. If Rising stays in they blow the doors off Ohio state.
The score was tied 38-38 when he got injured in the 4th quarter, it would have been a 2nd and long had he not been injured on the play and Ohio State was making a comeback and eventually took the lead the next series because the offense couldn't be stopped. Let's not act like him staying in the game means Utah scores a bunch more touchdowns and Ohio State stops scoring. He literally left the game with 10 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter

You are not smart. Walk on QB came in for Utah vs a Heisman Candidate.

You are not smart. Walk on QB came in for Utah vs a Heisman Candidate.
Both led 1 touchdown drive a piece as there was only 10 minutes left in the ball game. I don't know where you're getting your information and time from. It's not like Rising left with 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

Both led 1 touchdown drive a piece as there was only 10 minutes left in the ball game. I don't know where you're getting your information and time from. It's not like Rising left with 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.
You cannot honestly come on this board and pretend you have zero concerns about your defense.

They should have concerns but also a lot of optimism as well
No doubt. This tOSU team is loaded, talented, and going to be right in the hunt for a playoff birth, per usual.

If you disagree, then you’re choosing to conveniently avoid the reality of the matter.

tOSU is loaded, but so is ND. We’re going to have to play great, and we certainly can do that. Can’t wait to see it.

Reactions: Golson5
No doubt. This tOSU team is loaded, talented, and going to be right in the hunt for a playoff birth, per usual.

If you disagree, then you’re choosing to conveniently avoid the reality of the matter.

tOSU is loaded, but so is ND. We’re going to have to play great, and we certainly can do that. Can’t wait to see it.
OSU was thought to be "loaded" early last season at home against Oregon, and were a 14.5 point favorite.

If ND cannot run the ball then it will be a long day for ND fans.

Ohio state has one goal for this game. Throw the ball all over the field against a questionable ND secondary.

I expect OSU to throw the ball at least 40 times. (Threw the ball 49 vs Michigan).

ND will have to show they can throw the ball. The best TE in the country will have the game of his life.

I am very confident about this game.

ND will score in the 40’s and OSU in the 30’s.
Not going to argue about how good the OSU defense will be, because I have no clue.

The OSU offense will arguably be the best in the country. You gave up 37 to Oklahoma State in your bowl game, since we're referencing games from last season.

Why are you optimistic about holding OSU in the 30's in Columbus?

I've never for the life of me figured out people who go onto the sites of other teams. Weird.

I've never for the life of me figured out people who go onto the sites of other teams. Weird.
That's kinda why message boards(Rivals) were started. For fun debate among competitors.

Going to another team's board to stir the pot? Totally agree.

Echo chambers aren't much fun.

I have as many questions about the ND offense as I do about the OSU defense. I have fewer questions about ND's defense and OSU's offense.

Not going to argue about how good the OSU defense will be, because I have no clue.

The OSU offense will arguably be the best in the country. You gave up 37 to Oklahoma State in your bowl game, since we're referencing games from last season.

Why are you optimistic about holding OSU in the 30's in Columbus?
It’s not just the ND defense that will hold OSU in the 30’s. It’s the ND run game that will control the clock.

The same way Michigan played OSU.

It’s not just the ND defense that will hold OSU in the 30’s. It’s the ND run game that will control the clock.

There's no doubt that Notre Dame's plan will be to control the clock and run the ball. Ohio State will load the box and blitz all night, forcing Buchner to win the game by himself. Pretty tall task IMO. Knowles won't sit back and let Notre Dame run it down their throat, he'll attack and play high risk schemes knowing that Notre Dame's defense doesn't have a prayer to stop the Buckeye offense.

There's no doubt that Notre Dame's plan will be to control the clock and run the ball. Ohio State will load the box and blitz all night, forcing Buchner to win the game by himself. Pretty tall task IMO. Knowles won't sit back and let Notre Dame run it down their throat, he'll attack and play high risk schemes knowing that Notre Dame's defense doesn't have a prayer to stop the Buckeye offense.
Thanks Nostradamus.

This isn't going to happen. I hope OSU coaches expect the same thing.

Playing ball control is the equivalent of playing a prevent defense in modern football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT