ADVERTISEMENT

Official ND v. UL Game Thread

My issue with 12 was he locked in a bit. Missed some wide open people to his right. He normally does not do that. Hopefully he just had a bad night. 50% passer tonight. Sounds familiar.

Anyone defending Book’s 1st half performance should never be taken seriously again.

Credit to Book, while not perfect in the 2nd half, he adjusted and cut out a lot his earlier mistakes. He still missed some throws and reads, but he finally started finding the middle routes thatve eluded him thus far in his short career. Now let’s see if he can put a full game together.

I am a big fan of the NBA during the 90s. i've gone back and watched all of the classic games from the bulls during that era uploaded to youtube.

I don't know how many games i saw where michael jordan was like 2 for 10 with 4 points in the first quarter/first half and then ended up with 35+ points on 50+ percent shooting and completely took over a game.

This shouldn't have to be said: but my point isn't to compare ian book to michael jordan but to point out that really good players have bad quarters ALL THE TIME.

do you think michael jordan was being criticized for his game 6 performance vs utah jazz in the finals even though he was like 1 of 15 shooting during the first 3 quarters? of course not.

point here is that you evaluate performance based on the complete play during a game. You don't slice up a bad quarter and then criticize the player despite his overall productivity.

Anyone defending Book’s 1st half performance should never be taken seriously again.

Credit to Book, while not perfect in the 2nd half, he adjusted and cut out a lot his earlier mistakes. He still missed some throws and reads, but he finally started finding the middle routes thatve eluded him thus far in his short career. Now let’s see if he can put a full game together.
2018 all over again.. formula is out on how to beat him and he didn’t show any improvement over last year

Reactions: SIhoosier26
My issue with 12 was he locked in a bit. Missed some wide open people to his right. He normally does not do that. Hopefully he just had a bad night. 50% passer tonight. Sounds familiar.

He was 61 % tonight.

Cite the clock time on the play where he missed wide open receivers on his right.

I am a big fan of the NBA during the 90s. i've gone back and watched all of the classic games from the bulls during that era uploaded to youtube.

I don't know how many games i saw where michael jordan was like 2 for 10 with 4 points in the first quarter/first half and then ended up with 35+ points on 50+ percent shooting and completely took over a game.

This shouldn't have to be said: but my point isn't to compare ian book to michael jordan but to point out that really good players have bad quarters ALL THE TIME.

do you think michael jordan was being criticized for his game 6 performance vs utah jazz in the finals even though he was like 1 of 15 shooting during the first 3 quarters? of course not.

point here is that you evaluate performance based on the complete play during a game. You don't slice up a bad quarter and then criticize the player despite his overall productivity.

The rule in basketball when cold is to just keep shooting. Football doesn’t tell you keep fumbling, keep not looking over the middle, keep locking in on the WR, keep throwing into coverage. That’d be ridiculous

2018 all over again.. formula is out on how to beat him and he didn’t show any improvement over last year

Are you guys blind ?

When the pocket collapses and/or his receivers are covered, what do you want him to do ?

Reactions: LH24ND
Are you guys blind ?

When the pocket collapses and/or his receivers are covered, what do you want him to do ?

TE’s weren’t covered
Don’t Fumble 2X
Don’t start running before even attempting to scan the field
Don’t run yourself into sacks

That’s for starters. Pocket was there on 99% of the snaps.

But the point is that, quite often, the pocket wasn’t collapsing. At least half the time Book scrambled, there was no reason for it. Granted, none us know from watching on TV what coverage looked like down field, but it sure looked like he was too quick to tuck and run. Impatient at best, panicking at worst

Reactions: NotreDomer1
But the point is that, quite often, the pocket wasn’t collapsing. At least half the time Book scrambled, there was no reason for it. Granted, none us know from watching on TV what coverage looked like down field, but it sure looked like he was too quick to tuck and run. Impatient at best, panicking at worst
He should be a great dancer with such happy feet.

TE’s weren’t covered
Don’t Fumble 2X

and despite all that he had close to 300 yards of offense and two touchdowns with good efficiency and was clearly one of the best players on the field if not the best player on the field.

and despite all that he had 300 yards of offense and two touchdowns with good efficiency and was clearly one of the best players on the field if not the best player on the field.

270 yards. 37 of which came on his first carry. The remainder of the game, he accounted for 233 yards while fumbling twice. This against a defense that forced four 3 and outs over its last four games. FOUR. Get real. You and Patirish are smoking crack tonight.

Last edited:
and despite all that he had close to 300 yards of offense and two touchdowns with good efficiency and was clearly one of the best players on the field if not the best player on the field.
If Book was the best player on the field, and I am not certain he was, is that a good thing for Notre Dame? I would love the ND QB to be the best player out there, but if he was tonight it was only because the bar wasn’t very high

Thought Ian was good in the second half and bad in the first half. 60 minute game and he did enough to win. Would have liked to see Kelly give him one more chance to conduct the offense on the last drive with 4+ minutes on the clock and great field position. Otherwise, get him out of the game and let Phil runa real series of football.

Nobody should be defending Ian's deplorable play in the first half and nobody should be shitting on his quality play in the second half.

It was Pitt all over again. A tale of two halfs. The only issue is that if you have that kind of first half against a better team, it's too late to come back because you've lost by half. We need more two half performances out of him to hang with the big boys.

Chase, watch the tape. There were receivers open in the first half. Multiple times. Book was looking at Claypool and if 83 wasn't there he was dropping his eyes and running. In the 2nd half he stood in the pocket and delivered the ball to the open target, not simply the primary receiver. Nice job to rebound from a bad first half... ND should have scored 45+ on that team but it doesn't matter.. The game is over. On to next week.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
I agree. My issue with this is that we expected something different? A running QB and a coach who ran the option at App St. I mean how did we over think it to begin with.

I know we adjusted, but I’d love to hear exactly Clark Lea thought Louisville’s gameplan was going to be. Why did it take two drives to figure out what they were going to do?

TE’s weren’t covered
Don’t Fumble 2X

On what play/s ?

Cite the clock time on the play/s when the TE’s weren’t covered.

Cite the clock time on the play/s where he started running before scanning the field.

Do you think that defenders remain stationary ?
Cite the clock time on plays where he ran into sacks.

Let’s see if the game film proves you right or wrong.

On what play/s ?

Cite the clock time on the play/s when the TE’s weren’t covered.

Cite the clock time on the play/s where he started running before scanning the field.

Do you think that defenders remain stationary ?
Cite the clock time on plays where he ran into sacks.

Let’s see if the game film proves you right or wrong.

Let’s see if you can actually watch a game yourself for a change.

If you read through this thread back in the first half I stated several times how bad Ian books first half was. There's also a huge lack of playmakers at skill positions. Both of these things can be true at the same time.

It felt like to me that Ian book had to do everything because outside of Chase claypool and Tony Jones (who leave too many yards on the field) there just wasn't a whole lot to work with but Ian book still prevailed and put together some really good drives and produce a very solid overall line

I hope all of Notre Dame skill players were just off today and that they are capable of far more than they showed.

I pray to God that chase claypool is healthy he's been banged up all camp and didn't look 100% in this game health wise

Last edited:
TE’s weren’t covered
Don’t Fumble 2X

Cite the time on the clock here he started running before attempting to scan the field.

Ditto on running into sacks.

Hint: defenders are mobile

3rd series 3rd Down. (For the 2nd time). Now go watch it for a change

You either need glasses or a tutor to explain football to you.

That play was a “called” roll out right pass play, not a pocket pass play.

That’s why the lineman pulled.

And he had two defenders rapidly closing in on him.
That’s why he ran right, from the snap

Have someone explain football to you

You either need glasses or a tutor to explain football to you.

That play was a “called” roll out right pass play, not a pocket pass play.

That’s why the lineman pulled.

And he had two defenders rapidly closing in on him.
That’s why he ran right, from the snap

Have someone explain football to you

Lay off the crack pipe.

Lay off the crack pipe.

Go back and look at the film and have someone with you so that they can explain it to you.

Look at the interior linemen pull out and go right along with the end, providing protection on a roll-out pass play.

Do You know the difference between a roll-out pass play and a pocket pass play

Apparently, You know nothing about football.

Tell us how he had “happy feet” on that play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT