ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Football is reported to be focusing on Utah’s Andy Ludwig for offensive coordinator

This is totally inaccurate. The salary is 100% in the tax filings. The amounts that come from outside sources are not considered salary, usually they are incentives or tied to appearance or likeness deals...this income is not salary.

The total compensation might not be evident in the tax filings if income is paid by another source. That is not part of his Notre dame salary.
There's also a third category, though. Income paid by Notre Dame to Kelly's LLC is not salary, nor is it paid by another source.

And then there are grey areas like Under Armour pays the HC $1 mil for his HC's NIL as part of their compensation agreement to be Notre Dame's swag supplier. (Not saying there is such, but there certainly might be.)

I have never used the ignore feature. Never will. 4-4-3, Savvy, and this clown Patrirish, would be the first three if I did so.
Well, that clown seems to know what he’s talking about.
Many, if not most didn’t know what a 990 was until I referenced it.
You doubted me and you were proven wrong.
Take your licking like a man !
10-4 !

I don't do it to mark myself out as anything at all. I do it to help myself organize my thoughts. Also, I do it to avoid copying irrelevant rambling. (Not saying you're doing that, of course. :p)

Then quit talking.

I'm not joking.

It isn't my purpose to get a rise out of anyone. If you want to create negative fantasies about my intentions to talk yourself into a sense of moral superiority, that's up to you. I've done a ton of that myself, too, but it has never brought me any joy.

Oh, you do know wtf to even say to any of this. Make up your bloomin mind, willya? :)
Yeah? Is that what you're doing, organizing your thoughts?

Effin' trolls, man. It's always trolls in the end....

Led Zeppelin for me, and frankly, never stopped. My cellular phone case is a picture of the four members in front of their airplane.
I forgot Led Zeppelin. The three LPs I wore out in high school were Led Zeppelin II, Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, and Artur Rubinstein's recording of Beethoven's Moonlight, Pathétique and Appassionata sonatas.

No it's not. Salary is what you are paid by your employer out of their budget. It is a part of total compensation.

It's not semantics. One is public record, the other is not. Details matter.
And I'm out. This is stupid

Reactions: Tru2Irish
There's also a third category, though. Income paid by Notre Dame to Kelly's LLC is not salary, nor is it paid by another source.

And then there are grey areas like Under Armour pays the HC $1 mil for his HC's NIL as part of their compensation agreement to be Notre Dame's swag supplier. (Not saying there is such, but there certainly might be.)
Bob is correct, compensation paid by sources not related to ND, whether known or unknown by ND, are not subject to ND’s 990 reporting requirements.

ND is only responsible for reporting compensation on the 990, in any form, paid by ND or sources/entities related to ND.

The original issue was “salary structure”
”Salaries” and any other form of compensation paid by ND, are reported by ND on IRS Form 990.

Reporting compensation not paid by ND is not ND’s responsibility.

Hopefully, this clarifies the question of “salary structure“

The issue now shifts to whether a high profile hire will call for changes to the current “salary structure”

Time will tell

Well, that clown seems to know what he’s talking about.
Anyone who reads this will see that he doesn't. It ain't going away, pal. The post shows that you are quite happy to make up lies when the facts don't support your position.
Many, if not most didn’t know what a 990 was until I referenced it.
Might have referenced it, but clearly didn't read it. 2020 2021
Take your licking like a man !
Take yours. You got caught. Admit it. And then quit writing checks with your mouth that your brain can't cash.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
No it's not. Salary is what you are paid by your employer out of their budget. It is a part of total compensation.

It's not semantics. One is public record, the other is not. Details matter.

I understand your point about the difference between salary and outside income, but it is not entirely accurate to say the latter is not a public record, at least with public universities. The NCAA requires athletic department employees (including head coaches) to annually report outside income to the school. And many coaches have contractual provisions that require the school's approval of outside income arrangements (although I imagine approval is pretty routinely given).

If one wanted, he could make a public records request to the school and get the annual report that shows outside income earned by the head football coach. Of course, FOIA laws generally do not apply to private universities such as Notre Dame.

And I'm out. This is stupid
I asked a simple question what Andy Ludwig would be offered by Notre Dame given the fact that he is making 1.25 million at Utah. Most posters offered adult answers and didn’t twist words or semantics. One poster has more of a middle school maturity and chooses to twist words and semantics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golson5
ND is only responsible for reporting compensation on the 990, in any form, paid by ND or sources/entities related to ND.
As the source of truth states, "During calendar year 2019, the University made payments to an LLC owned by the Head Football Coach, which are not reportable compensation for purposes of Form 990. Therefore, the payments are excluded from Form 990 Part VII and Schedule J, Part II."

I'm assuming that "compensation in any form, paid by ND" includes payments made by ND to an LLC that the head coach owns. If I assume incorrectly, then please correct my understanding of what you say. Given my assumption, the actual document refutes your statement.
The issue now shifts to whether a high profile hire will call for changes to the current “salary structure”
I'm not seeing this as an issue, personally. It boils down to whether a high-profile hire will call for changes to the component of compensation that is reportable. If I were a high-profile hire, and a lot of my compensation wasn't going to be publicly reportable, I wouldn't start agitating to get paid more salary and less private money. The only way that I would agitate for more salary is if salary were my only compensation and I didn't feel that I was getting the compensation that I deserved. Otherwise, hey, pay another million a year to my LLC and I'll start Monday.

The underlying reason for this whole foofaraw is that we fans see the ND coach's salary as much lower than the salaries paid by the SEC teams, and fear that Notre Dame is pinching pennies and so losing out on the best coaches. The truth is that we have no idea whether that's true, and public access to the salary figure doesn't change that one bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
Yup.

Seek and you shall find.
I don't know if you're an according to Hoyle troll or not. But you're definitely carrying on like one. Like a 12-year old girl in a dress shop or something, fluttering about spouting flowery nonsense to anyone who takes an interest. Maybe you're on drugs. Like high on ether or something....

I guess that's what this board is good for. Sixty percent of regular posters are outright trolls, who like, lie about their identity and shit. And no one even cares or is put off by it, except me. In the end it's just another disembodied voice to blather out one's various ravings to. I presume we'll be seeing more of you on a regular basis.

Anyway, it's almost time for the Super Bowl!

Anyone who reads this will see that he doesn't. It ain't going away, pal. The post shows that you are quite happy to make up lies when the facts don't support your position.

Take yours. You got caught. Admit it. And then quit writing checks with your mouth that your brain can't cash.
But The facts SUPPORTED my position.
‘You were the one who claimed that I didn’t have any information regarding salary structure.
i responded that I did have that information from several sources, one of which was public information provided by ND, the IRS Form 990, Part VII.
You didn’t even know what IRS Form 990 was until I cited it.
You’re the one who looks like an ignorant fool.
Then you doubled down claiming that the 990 doesn’t reflect non-salary payments which was dead wrong. Non-salary payments are listed in other sections of Form 990, you just don’t know where to find them.
If you think that ND doesn’t have to account for every penny, in revenue and expenses, including payments to Kelly’s LLC, you’re beyond naive.

Then you lied and stated that I switched the topic from “compensation” to “salary” causing me to provide the original citation quoting my reference to “salary” not “compensation”

Time after time you were wrong and every time you claimed that I didn’t have information in my possession, I produced one of the credible sources that provided that information.

Let me repeat that I stated that I had multiple sources, one of which was IRS form 990.

So stop acting like a woman scorned and take your whipping like a man and stop being intellectually dishonest.

10-4

Last edited:

Preach.

As the source of truth states, "During calendar year 2019, the University made payments to an LLC owned by the Head Football Coach, which are not reportable compensation for purposes of Form 990. Therefore, the payments are excluded from Form 990 Part VII and Schedule J, Part II."

I'm assuming that "compensation in any form, paid by ND" includes payments made by ND to an LLC that the head coach owns. If I assume incorrectly, then please correct my understanding of what you say. Given my assumption, the actual document refutes your statement.

I'm not seeing this as an issue, personally. It boils down to whether a high-profile hire will call for changes to the component of compensation that is reportable. If I were a high-profile hire, and a lot of my compensation wasn't going to be publicly reportable, I wouldn't start agitating to get paid more salary and less private money. The only way that I would agitate for more salary is if salary were my only compensation and I didn't feel that I was getting the compensation that I deserved. Otherwise, hey, pay another million a year to my LLC and I'll start Monday.

The underlying reason for this whole foofaraw is that we fans see the ND coach's salary as much lower than the salaries paid by the SEC teams, and fear that Notre Dame is pinching pennies and so losing out on the best coaches. The truth is that we have no idea whether that's true, and public access to the salary figure doesn't change that one bit.
Coaching at ND was once deemed highly prestigious and a valuable stepping stone.

Today “Money” dictates almost everything

But The facts SUPPORTED my position.
The facts do NOT support this position of yours: "Form 990 does require ND to report compensation paid by ND to an LLC owned by a coach." You have put forth quite a few other positions to muddy the waters, but this is the only position of yours with which I take exception.
You were the one who claimed that I didn’t have any information regarding salary structure.
If you'll provide a quote where I made that claim, I will cheerfully retract it with apologies. It's clear that you have the same information that we all do. Form 990, part VII lists his salary.

Absent such a quote, I'll have to say you're making up more stories.
Then you doubled down claiming that the 990 doesn’t reflect non-salary payments which was dead wrong. Non-salary payments are listed in other sections of Form 990, you just don’t know where to find them.
If you think that ND doesn’t have to account for every penny, in revenue and expenses, including payments to Kelly’s LLC, you’re beyond naive.
You stating it over and over doesn't make it so. Schedule O, which is notes to entries in part VII, says "During calendar year 2019, the University made payments to an LLC owned by the Head Football Coach, which are not reportable compensation for purposes of Form 990. Therefore, the payments are excluded from Form 990 Part VII and Schedule J, Part II." This is the third time I've quoted this, and it directly contradicts your assertion.
Time after time you were wrong and every time you claimed that I didn’t have information in my possession, I produced one of the credible sources that provided that information.
You still haven't produced a source, credible or otherwise, that backs up your statement that ND reported its payments to Kelly's LLC. Saying that it's in the 990 but I don't know where to find it doesn't count. Against that, I have produced language from the same 990 that demonstrates clearly that you are wrong.
Let me repeat that I stated that I had multiple sources, one of which was IRS form 990.
You haven't shared any of them, probably because you don't have any. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. So, prove me wrong!

Last edited:
You imply that your conclusion is based on a mess of data that supports it. Would you mind sharing some of it? I'm not drawing the same conclusion, and as far as I know I'm looking at the same data.

From what I see, we do need more talent, but I also think that we are capable of winning a national championship with what we have, and certainly winning a semifinal. Here's one bit of data that supports this.

Last year, we had one five-star, 14 four-stars and seven three-stars in the number-one positions on our roster. (Two of those three-stars, by the way, were on the O-line.) In comparison, Clemson's team that narrowly lost the final to Alabama in 2015 had one five-star, 13 four-stars, seven three-stars and a two-star. That suggests to me that we are no further away than Clemson was in 2015.
I don't feel like rehashing the same debates from 3/5/7+ years ago. Here's a link to a topic i started years ago countering the points you made here.

Reactions: Bob Rodes
I'm stoked that Ludwig is apparently a shitty recruiter. ND fans deserve that much. Good ole chaseball has his stake already thrust nice and deep into the ground, and we know where he stands on this very important topic. So that'll be fun....

I don't feel like rehashing the same debates from 3/5/7+ years ago. Here's a link to a topic i started years ago countering the points you made here.

Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting. And I can see why you don't feel like rehashing the same "debates," since the con to your argument is pretty much "you're an idiot, now go away."

I don't think Kelly had a prayer of implementing the Swinney model either. He doesn't have a track record of hiring great coaches consistently, and he doesn't have a track record of retaining the ones he finds. But Freeman could do it, and perhaps he will be the second one who implements the Swinney model. He has certainly put together a really good set of assistants (except maybe Washington). And perhaps he will instead recruit a couple of those elite classes before too long.

I certainly think he has a better shot at winning a NC than Kelly did, but that's with a lot of data for Kelly and very little for Freeman, so of course I could be dreaming. Nevertheless, I remain optimistic.

Crickets......does this mean its Ludwig and ND just doin their background check etc. now? I mean....otherwise would we not hear of others interviewing or Ludwig announcing he is staying in Utah?

The facts do NOT support this position of yours: "Form 990 does require ND to report compensation paid by ND to an LLC owned by a coach." You have put forth quite a few other positions to muddy the waters, but this is the only position of yours with which I take exception.

If you'll provide a quote where I made that claim, I will cheerfully retract it with apologies. It's clear that you have the same information that we all do. Form 990, part VII lists his salary.

Absent such a quote, I'll have to say you're making up more stories.

You stating it over and over doesn't make it so. Schedule O, which is notes to entries in part VII, says "During calendar year 2019, the University made payments to an LLC owned by the Head Football Coach, which are not reportable compensation for purposes of Form 990. Therefore, the payments are excluded from Form 990 Part VII and Schedule J, Part II." This is the third time I've quoted this, and it directly contradicts your assertion.

You still haven't produced a source, credible or otherwise, that backs up your statement that ND reported its payments to Kelly's LLC. Saying that it's in the 990 but I don't know where to find it doesn't count. Against that, I have produced language from the same 990 that demonstrates clearly that you are wrong.

You haven't shared any of them, probably because you don't have any. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. So, prove me wrong!
Let’s start with the fact that you didn’t know what a 990 was until I brought it to your attention.

The payment is in the 990, you just don’t know where to find it.

You’re too stupid to know that not all forms of payment made by ND are deemed to be “compensation” !

Or do you think that ND can make clandestine payments to third parties and NOT report them, effectively committing tax fraud.

And, the 990 isn’t my only source.

he runs a physical offense; this could be a great fit for ND.

Let’s start with the fact that you didn’t know what a 990 was until I brought it to your attention.
Has nothing to do with making payments to the head coach's LLC.
The payment is in the 990, you just don’t know where to find it.
Repeating something doesn't make it true, and you've repeated this a couple of times. I've read the whole thing, and I say it isn't there. Here's your chance to make me look like a complete idiot, and your chance to vindicate yourself, and you won't take it. Instead, you dance around screaming about one straw man after another to try and distract everyone from the fact that you haven't backed up your position.

If what you say is true, you'd prove it. But it isn't true, and you know it. You're lying.
Not all forms of payment made by ND are deemed to be “compensation” !
Or do you think that ND can make clandestine payments to third parties and NOT report them, effectively committing tax fraud.
Has nothing to do with making payments to the head coach's LLC. (Seeing a pattern here?)
And, the 990 isn’t my only source.
So you say. But you're not willing to prove anything you say. If you could, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to resist, so I'm also sure you're lying.

Last edited:
This is my response to any further post from PatIrish:
Code:
define function getProofFromPatIrish()
  while true
    print "Enter your proof: "
    patIrishProof = getKeyboardInput()
    if patIrishProof == "I lied. I don't have any proof." then // Never gonna happen
      print "About time you manned up! Go thou and sin no more."
      return
    else if patIrishProof == actualGenuninProof then // Never gonna happen either
      print "Ok, now I feel like an idiot. I was wrong, and I'm sorry."
      return
    else
      print "Liar, liar, pants on fire."
    end if
  end while
 end function

call getProofFromPatIrish()

Last edited:

Repeating something doesn't make it true, and you've repeated this a couple of times. I've read the whole thing, and I say it isn't there. Here's your chance to make me look like a complete idiot, and your chance to vindicate yourself, and you won't take it. Instead, you dance around screaming about one straw man after another to try and distract everyone from the fact that you haven't backed up your position.

If what you say is true, you'd prove it. But it isn't true, and you know it. You're lying.

Has nothing to do with making payments to the head coach's LLC. (Seeing a pattern here?)

So you say. But you're not willing to prove anything you say. If you could, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to resist, so I'm also sure you're lying.
I supplied you with the answer, I can’t help it if you’re too obtuse to understand the 990.

I don’t need a chance to make you look like a complete idiot, as that would be redundant, as you already accomplished that by not even knowing what a 990 was.

You were also sure that I was lying about knowing the “salary structure” until I proved you wrong by providing information that was in the public domain, namely IRS Form 990 which listed the salaries.
Did you ever apologize for calling me a liar ?
No, you didn’t because you don’t have the character to man up.

You’re a woman scorned Bobby boy, go lick your wounds and slink away.

surprise shock GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT