ADVERTISEMENT

ND needs to get to the point where they are thumping teams like Pitt

Back to the OP. Every year I find myself hanging on every play and feeling we are letting inferior teams hang with us. Many times the inferior team is throwing underneath our coverage and chinking away until we get a stop or they get a FG; and then we come in and end up punting after one or two series. Eventually, our talent and schemes take control and we walk out with a convincing victory, but with a huge sigh of relief after the first few series. Have no empirical data to support this, just my sense of what seems to happen against so many of the teams we EXPECT to dominate. Perhaps the OP shares this view.

Purdue was tight until the 4th. Navy was leading in the 3rd. No excuse for that. We lost at home to Northwrstern in year 5. Think about that.

This is a crazy thread on a number of different fronts, First every college team plays games that shouldn't be close that are... Secondly If ND wins every game by a point and looks absolutely terrible they will still be in the playoff..(this goes for any team). Thirdly as a pitt fan the game at Heinz this year will be a tough game for ND.. Pitt can and will score and does have some quality athletes.. This should be the best team Pitt has had in the last 8 years or so...Having said that ND should win...

This is a crazy thread on a number of different fronts, First every college team plays games that shouldn't be close that are... Secondly If ND wins every game by a point and looks absolutely terrible they will still be in the playoff..(this goes for any team). Thirdly as a pitt fan the game at Heinz this year will be a tough game for ND.. Pitt can and will score and does have some quality athletes.. This should be the best team Pitt has had in the last 8 years or so...Having said that ND should win...
James Conner scares the sh** out of me. He's off the charts. We were # 74 versus the run and better tighten a lot of bolts. Do you have any news on him? Which records of Dorsett has he broken?

James Conner scares the sh** out of me. He's off the charts. We were # 74 versus the run and better tighten a lot of bolts. Do you have any news on him? Which records of Dorsett has he broken?
He hasnt broken any of Dorsett's records and is a completely different runner. Strong and powerful.. think Leveon Bell.. Dorsett was one of a kind as was Shady McCoy..Conner is very difficult to tackle especially as the game goes on.. Pitt's oline will be a strength. QB is multiversatile and has Boyd and a good tight end to throw too. ND will need to score 24+ to win.. I think they will but it should be a tight game..

He hasnt broken any of Dorsett's records and is a completely different runner. Strong and powerful.. think Leveon Bell.. Dorsett was one of a kind as was Shady McCoy..Conner is very difficult to tackle especially as the game goes on.. Pitt's oline will be a strength. QB is multiversatile and has Boyd and a good tight end to throw too. ND will need to score 24+ to win.. I think they will but it should be a tight game..

There's a big size difference. This kid's a tank.

Here are three of Dorsett's records he's broken. I knew I saw it somewhere....

"set Pitt single-season records for rushing TDs, total TDs (26) and points (156)...Conner surpassed the legendary Tony Dorsett to achieve each of the three marks...Dorsett held those Pitt records for 38 years, compiling 140 points on 23 touchdowns (22 by rush) during his 1976 Heisman Trophy season..."

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/james_conner_852927.html

Dont know why but I was thinking career stats.. my bad...
No worries. The kid is a monster talent and perhaps the best RB in cfb. Dorsett was incredible to watch live.
PS I was watching Darren Sproles work out a couple of weeks ago. His feet move so fast in the first 10 yards that it looks like a cartoon. That foot speed/initial burst reminded me of Dorsett. TD could flat out haul. How's Voytik looking?

He looked better at the end of last season, I think he will be good but not great..He reminds me a bit of john congemi, who played at pitt back in the 80's. I cant think of past ND quarterback he would remind me of... Smart kid, can run and has a decent arm..

eyebugs: most ND fans have already penciled that game into the walkover W column. Therefore your post is unacceptable.:eek:o_O:confused::mad:

No worries. The kid is a monster talent and perhaps the best RB in cfb. Dorsett was incredible to watch live.
PS I was watching Darren Sproles work out a couple of weeks ago. His feet move so fast in the first 10 yards that it looks like a cartoon. That foot speed/initial burst reminded me of Dorsett. TD could flat out haul. How's Voytik looking?

Chubb
Elliott
Samajee
Cook
Henry

Top tier above hin

He looked better at the end of last season, I think he will be good but not great..He reminds me a bit of john congemi, who played at pitt back in the 80's. I cant think of past ND quarterback he would remind me of... Smart kid, can run and has a decent arm..

We are 4-4 in our last 8 meetings. We're 47-21-1 in the series. So, these past 8 meetings have been a solid move vs. the "average" by you guys. Anyone that can fog a mirror knows that this ND team, as inconsistently coached as it is, can be beat on any given weekend.

Our consistency is our inconsistency if that makes sense...

You guys will have a little more time to prepare as your prior game will be against NC on a Thursday night. We will be coming off a BYE and Temple so we both should be good to go.

I think your best bet is to make it a slug fest with Conner pounding and killing clock. (then win turnovers, special teams). It's way too early to tell though...

Any info you can provide throughout the season would be welcomed. Let's hope both teams stay healthy.

Think PITT is a win. For 2 reasons. First year head coach. And ND has plenty of time to see what they have in place before the game. Would actually be more scared of PITT early in the season before we really know how Narduzzi will be running the system.

Think PITT is a win. For 2 reasons. First year head coach. And ND has plenty of time to see what they have in place before the game. Would actually be more scared of PITT early in the season before we really know how Narduzzi will be running the system.

I think it times out well for us. We'll have been seriously battle tested with 8 games under our belt. The schedule maps with southern cal at home then a bye. That bye should help us a lot. Temple on the road after the bye should be a solid tune up. (I refuse to believe we can ever lose to them.) That's an "ND bonanza" for PA. (Philadelphia then a week later Pitt....) I'm just hoping we're still intact on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: IrishBlooded
ND likely will win, but I do think it will be close either way... Any ND fan thinking this will be an easy win just isnt paying attention. I dont think Pitts D will have an answer for Zaire...I think Pitt will need to excel in passing game. Conner will get his but Voytik will need to play well... Hopefully will be good game in decent weather..Good luck to ND and please beat the hell out of Texas..

ND likely will win, but I do think it will be close either way... Any ND fan thinking this will be an easy win just isnt paying attention. I dont think Pitts D will have an answer for Zaire...I think Pitt will need to excel in passing game. Conner will get his but Voytik will need to play well... Hopefully will be good game in decent weather..Good luck to ND and please beat the hell out of Texas..

Zaire has to say healthy or we are in deep you know what..... The Texas game can't get here soon enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT