ADVERTISEMENT

ND needs to get to the point where they are thumping teams like Pitt

Johnny Fairplay

Irish Expert
Nov 17, 2014
Especially if they want to be taken seriously as a playoff contender. Struggles and losses to teams like Pitt, Navy,; Northwestern and Purdue is not helping their case to be considered a playoff contender.

Reactions: end_23
^; but that paired with the obvious bias of the selecting committee against independent teams means that ND needs to run up some scores and be at worst a 1 loss team (1 loss might be 1 loss too many)

Please point out how there has been obvious bias by the selection committee against independent schools. You know, considering the ND lost 5 games last year.

I agree though with the OP. It's time to start blowing these teams out. I'm hoping that we get to the point where our o line is just overpowering people and can blow people out with a strong running game.

early in the season it was discussed here about comments made re ND. If you care to not believe it that's fine.
At 6-1 ND was 10th; by week eleven ND was in free fall.

Last edited:
I recall reading comments that the committee made about the ND SOS. It may have been when the 1st ratings came out.
As example, ND's loss was to FSU, a last play loss, and was ranked behind teams with worse losses,
But now looking at the listing, the teams that had losses were teams who played and beat better teams than ND. So I guess in truth the bias was more directed at the SOS idea. And looking at the list, that looks justified.

Last edited:
It is a long season. Pitt always plays us tough. But I know what you are saying--we have to put the gas to the pedal when we can even when we are using backups.

Always? Not so. My first ND game was at Pittsburgh when Ara was coaching. We won something like 63-0.

Since the Holtz years with Davie, Willingham, Weis and Kelly, yes games with Pitt have always been close. In fact lately all opponents seem to play us close.

Its time ND should once again start putting away lesser opponents. I'm getting tired of nail biters week after week.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
Always? Not so. My first ND game was at Pittsburgh when Ara was coaching. We won something like 63-0.

Since the Holtz years with Davie, Willingham, Weis and Kelly, yes games with Pitt have always been close. In fact lately all opponents seem to play us close.

Its time ND should once again start putting away lesser opponents. I'm getting tired of nail biters week after week.

Pitt has one of the best running backs in the country 6'2" 250 lb James Connor
(rushed for 1,765 yards and 26 touchdowns on 298 carries (5.9 avg.)...ranked third nationally in rushing touchdowns,

They also have one of the best receivers in college football in Tyler Boyd

Those are just two players off the top of my head. We will not be beating Pitt 63 to 0 this year. I will be happy if we beat them by a field goal. You may not want to watch that game.

I suggest you watch us play umass--- we may very well beat them by 50.

Never understand these statements. ND annually puts away opponents under the Kelly era. Yet no one ever talks about them. I guess I need a better understanding of what 'putting them away' is. Remember last time ND played them. It was a close game. 21-28. Not to mention ND had that terrible call against them that took Tuitt out of the game on the first play of the 2nd quarter, when they were already short on the D line.

Targeting:

Now if you want to talk 'putting teams away'. Which of these do you not consider put away?

ND 48 Rice 17
ND 31 Michigan 0
ND 30 Purdue 14
ND 31 Cuse 15

ND 28 Temple 6
ND 45 Air Force 10
ND 23 BYU 13
ND 29 Rutgers 16

ND 50 Navy 10
ND 20 Michigan 3
ND 41 Miami 3
ND 30 Oklahoma 13
ND 21 BC 6
ND 28 Wake Forest 0

Reactions: Bodizephax
I think the issue a lot of people has is those scores in a lot of instances don't reflect how close the games actually were. By putting away i assume the OP means killing teams from kickoff and not feeling worried about the game

I think the issue a lot of people has is those scores in a lot of instances don't reflect how close the games actually were. By putting away i assume the OP means killing teams from kickoff and not feeling worried about the game

Really?

How close was the ND / Michigan game? They missed a couple of FG attempts. So at most they could have had 6 or 9 points on the board? And ND still had a TD taken off the board at the end of the game.

Rice could have been much worse but most of the first squad was out by mid way of the 3rd. And all of them were out by the 4th

Vs Purdue, The Boilermakers had a total of 290 yards for the entire game. And 17 first downs. And were 6 for 15 on 3rd down. ND dominated every quarter of the game, and every stat of the game. Stats

Against Syracuse, Big Orange didn't get a TD until the 4th quarter in garbage time and had all of 1 FG prior to that. Again ND had control of every aspect of that game. To the point their defense was so confused on the play reads that Golson was 1 pass short of setting the NCAA record for completed passes in a row. And some of those were some pretty damn sweet passes Stats

Golson completed passes:

Oh my bad for pointing out the disconnect and trying to explain it. I didn't say they were right just saying where it seemed like they were coming from

Oh my bad for pointing out the disconnect and trying to explain it. I didn't say they were right just saying where it seemed like they were coming from

I apologize SAL, I was trying to be funny. I failed. Haven't slept in a few days. You are one of my favorite posters---My Lawyer jokes are getting old --and stale. Sorry bud.
You may not have been talking to me but I am a megalomaniac. So I thought you were.

I was respond more to IB. Bodi a good lawyer joke needs to focus on my ability to lie or my willingness to sue my mom to make a buck... student loans brother...

IB- the Purdue game (17-14 deep into the 3rd) and Syracuse game(5 tos against a team that had a terrible D) are what the OP is complaining about

Either CBK is a nitwit of a coach or the teams he has had are just not that talented. ND is always overhyped, we know that already.

It's multiple times every season that we watch the ND football team struggle versus the likes of USF, Tulsa, Northwestern, Pitt, and on and on. I get that upsets will happen but good coaches don't allow them to keep happening over and over again. Something is wrong at ND. Hopefully they figure it out some day. Kelly is never able to gain any consistancy. His stupid coaching errors have cost ND what should be 10-win seasons in each of his first five seasons coached here. That's my opinion.

EpictitusArgusman says he's a top five coach.That's nonsense. He's not even a top 15 coach.

Top 5
1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Jimbo
4. Peterson
5. Malzahn

Into the top 10.....
6. Stoops
7. Richt
8. Patterson
9. Dantonio
10. Snyder

Do the resume comparison and Kelly doesn't hold a candle to any of them. In conclusion: ND has a fighting chance to be good again once Idiot Kelly is gone.

Yo
Pitt has one of the best running backs in the country 6'2" 250 lb James Connor
(rushed for 1,765 yards and 26 touchdowns on 298 carries (5.9 avg.)...ranked third nationally in rushing touchdowns,

They also have one of the best receivers in college football in Tyler Boyd

Those are just two players off the top of my head. We will not be beating Pitt 63 to 0 this year. I will be happy if we beat them by a field goal. You may not want to watch that game.

I suggest you watch us play umass--- we may very well beat them by 50.

You are also proving why there is no way in hell ND goes 12-0. Every game except for umass or wake will come down to a FG. With Kelly as coach that's not a good thing.

Really?

How close was the ND / Michigan game? They missed a couple of FG attempts. So at most they could have had 6 or 9 points on the board? And ND still had a TD taken off the board at the end of the game.

Rice could have been much worse but most of the first squad was out by mid way of the 3rd. And all of them were out by the 4th

Vs Purdue, The Boilermakers had a total of 290 yards for the entire game. And 17 first downs. And were 6 for 15 on 3rd down. ND dominated every quarter of the game, and every stat of the game. Stats

Against Syracuse, Big Orange didn't get a TD until the 4th quarter in garbage time and had all of 1 FG prior to that. Again ND had control of every aspect of that game. To the point their defense was so confused on the play reads that Golson was 1 pass short of setting the NCAA record for completed passes in a row. And some of those were some pretty damn sweet passes Stats

Golson completed passes:

Last year versus Purdue there were plenty of moments in the third and fourth quarter where it was ugly and to the point there was worry ND would lose. Pop in the tape.

2012, ND probably loses to Purdue if the refs call delay of game on Rees.

2014, UNC, and that was before all of the injuries. ECU scored 70 on UNC.

2012 versus BYU is a loss if their QB doesn't miss a wide open TE for a TD. That loss actually would've saved us the Alabama embarrassment.

2013, Purdue was way too close. Barely got by that night. Would've been Kelly's second worst loss tied with NW, USF and Tulsa.

Really?

Golson completed passes:
Yikes

Most all of those passes were screen passes.

Really?

Golson completed passes:

wow Blooded Golson was my fave until he left and i started to lose my support when he imploded but you bringing up those 25 completions shook me. he coulda, shoulda, what a shame

Reactions: IrishBlooded
Yo

You are also proving why there is no way in hell ND goes 12-0. Every game except for umass or wake will come down to a FG. With Kelly as coach that's not a good thing.

They were 12 and 0 just a couple of years ago with far less depth and talent. Roby Toma and John Goodman got plenty of playing time in 2012--doubt they would get any this year.

The luck of the Irish will carry the day !

14 and 0 !! Deal with it !!
632c9c471a7e92521f46d79b051d9a1e.jpg

Doesn't happen any more in college football of 2015.

As a rule there are far less blow outside...more thight games...more upsets ...why? Parity #1, #2 is these offenses are off the charts explosive. A lot of these games now are 57-24. Now I ask ya, does 33-0 sound better than 57-24. ? Yes it does.
but 33-0 is not the norm now. 57-24 is and that 33 spread doesn't seem so dominating.

Just win the games you are supposed to win. That helps immensely!!!

Doesn't happen any more in college football of 2015.

As a rule there are far less blow outside...more thight games...more upsets ...why? Parity #1, #2 is these offenses are off the charts explosive. A lot of these games now are 57-24. Now I ask ya, does 33-0 sound better than 57-24. ? Yes it does.
but 33-0 is not the norm now. 57-24 is and that 33 spread doesn't seem so dominating.

Just win the games you are supposed to win. That helps immensely!!!

reason: coaches used to take the 11 best players/athletes and put them on defense. Now offense is where it's at for the kids and they determine their own fate. And it starts when they are in toddler football.

reason: coaches used to take the 11 best players/athletes and put them on defense. Now offense is where it's at for the kids and they determine their own fate. And it starts when they are in toddler football.
Coaches use to take the 11 best athletes and put them on defense --- most pathetic generalization I have ever read regarding football

You are simply a buffoon

Most of America youth football is playing both ways.
The 85 scholarship rule brought everyone a little closer. It didn't happen overnight but the have's can no longer take kids just so the rival can't get them. Add that into the current trend of no huddle fast spread offenses that can score some points against the best of defenses and you have CFB 2015. Power football that possess the ball most of the game is the minority now. At present it is score as fast as you can which puts the defense right back out there. Which is why I appreciated what Alabama did 2013 and prior. They played a pro style power gane. But even bama gave in sone to trendy offense of today last year.

Moreover if a coach today ran old school offense and didn't succeed...it's because he isn't using the spread. If he falls on his face running the spread he will still get a fairly long chance to make it work.
In summary, 85 scholarships, fast paced offense where you send your defense right back out on the field equates to high scoring closer games. As I said, 35-0 sounds so dominating. No longer the norm but rather 57-24 is. Which one sounds more dominating?

NDE

I have the galactically stupid on ignore; most of them have demonstrated a proven lack of intellect and credibility.

This better ignore feature practically makes them none existant! And in time they are not just practically nonexistant- they are in fact nonexistant!

Last edited:
Coaches use to take the 11 best athletes and put them on defense --- most pathetic generalization I have ever read regarding football

You are simply a buffoon

Read the books written by Tom Pagna, Ara's offense coordinator back in the 1960s - 1970s. He says that other than for the QB, Ara put the 11 best athletes on defense. So perse isn't making this up.

Really, I'd just like to get to the point where ND is winning 10 games a year. I don't care how they win them. I don't care if we make the playoffs. I don't care what type of offense we run. I don't care what type of defense we run. I don't care if we have the #1 recruiting class or #25. Heck, I've even resigned myself to ND probably will never win another NC in my lifetime and I'm ok with that.

I'm not asking for a lot am I? Is expecting one of the most storied programs in CFB to win 10 out of 13 games most seasons too much to ask?

Either CBK is a nitwit of a coach or the teams he has had are just not that talented. ND is always overhyped, we know that already.

It's multiple times every season that we watch the ND football team struggle versus the likes of USF, Tulsa, Northwestern, Pitt, and on and on. I get that upsets will happen but good coaches don't allow them to keep happening over and over again. Something is wrong at ND. Hopefully they figure it out some day. Kelly is never able to gain any consistancy. His stupid coaching errors have cost ND what should be 10-win seasons in each of his first five seasons coached here. That's my opinion.

EpictitusArgusman says he's a top five coach.That's nonsense. He's not even a top 15 coach.

Top 5
1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Jimbo
4. Peterson
5. Malzahn

Into the top 10.....
6. Stoops
7. Richt
8. Patterson
9. Dantonio
10. Snyder

Do the resume comparison and Kelly doesn't hold a candle to any of them. In conclusion: ND has a fighting chance to be good again once Idiot Kelly is gone.
I can verify that this poster knows and regularly sees a nitwit when he shaves in the am.

Read the books written by Tom Pagna, Ara's offense coordinator back in the 1960s - 1970s. He says that other than for the QB, Ara put the 11 best athletes on defense. So perse isn't making this up.
reason: coaches used to take the 11 best players/athletes and put them on defense. Now offense is where it's at for the kids and they determine their own fate. ( pure horseshit ) And it starts when they are in toddler football.
see below nit wit
K Russell recruited as a RB now a DB
Farley recruited as a WR now a S
Onawalu sp ck recruited as a WR now LB
Tillery recruited as a OT now a DT

ND wont beat Pitt by 50 again because back in 1965 Ara and the big boys would recruit 120 of the top players and pitt would recruit 50 of whats left

oh and earlier in the week you tried to poo poo on everyone's positive out look by saying ND only returns 12 starters -- completely ridiculous observation and statement -- delusional nonsense - see below

Returning starters -

1) K Russell
2) Max Redfield
3) Onawalu
4) C Luke
5 J Schmidt
6 ) J Smith
7) J Jones
8 S Day
9) E Schumate
10 ) R Okawara sp ck
11) I Rochelle
12) S Elmer
13) N Martin
14 ) R Stanley
15 M McGlinchey
16) W Fuller
17 ) CJ Procise
18) C Robinson
19 ) T Folston

20 ) Your a nit wit

They were 12 and 0 just a couple of years ago with far less depth and talent. Roby Toma and John Goodman got plenty of playing time in 2012--doubt they would get any this year.

The luck of the Irish will carry the day !

14 and 0 !! Deal with it !!
632c9c471a7e92521f46d79b051d9a1e.jpg

2012 OL had significant shortcoming Zack Martin aside -- hopefully that riddle has been solved . IMO this season is all about the evolution of the OL ..

If we can't score running the football in the red zone we're looking at 3 losses if we can we might run the table .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT