ADVERTISEMENT

My USC Prediction

wfeldmann

Shakes Down The Thunder
Mar 11, 2007
Pasco, Wa
I stated last week that the Louisville game would be close due to three night games against ranked teams in a row with two being on the road.

I predict that USC scores in the upper 30s and due to a predictable ND offense and average WRs ND will score somewhere in the 20s. Even though USC has had a bad defense they will make our offense look pedestrian. Reason is because ND does not stretch the field whereas the other teams that have played USC go for big plays and ND will do the dink and dunk routine. Mark my words they will have a game plan to try and shorten the game by running and short throws rather than trying to go over the top or get big plays.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
I stated last week that the Louisville game would be close due to three night games against ranked teams in a row with two being on the road.

I predict that USC scores in the upper 30s and due to a predictable ND offense and average WRs ND will score somewhere in the 20s. Even though USC has had a bad defense they will make our offense look pedestrian. Reason is because ND does not stretch the field whereas the other teams that have played USC go for big plays and ND will do the dink and dunk routine. Mark my words they will have a game plan to try and shorten the game by running and short throws rather than trying to go over the top or get big plays.
Gosh, you're really smart.

USC can open up quick leads on people. If they go up 21-0, how do we respond? Are we equipped for a shoot out? We need to keep it close and low scoring to win imo. Get them to turn it over.

Last edited:
USC can open up quick leads on people. If they go up 21-0, how do we respond? Are we equipped for a shoot out? We need to keep it close and low scoring to win imo. Get them to turn it over.
The best way to keep the score low is to keep their offense off the field. That means having the ND OL win the LoS and pound the rock, mixing it up with short to intermediate passes and play action. Long, time consuming sustained drives., eating up that clock.

You might be right about the game plan but I don’t think that would be a bad one. Anything to keep Caleb Williams off the field. Shortening the game is not a bad thing. Going to be tough to do that if you can’t run the ball like last week though. This is a huge week for the offensive line and run blocking in particular. ND needs to control the clock and be able to run the ball or Caleb Williams will have a field day. If anyone thinks getting into a shootout with Caleb Williams is a good idea they are sorely mistaken.

The best way to keep the score low is to keep their offense off the field. That means having the ND OL win the LoS and pound the rock, mixing it up with short to intermediate passes and play action. Long, time consuming sustained drives., eating up that clock.
Yep, exactly! Plus, while SC does have beef to counter ND’s OL, the OC, stupid as he is will put his smaller line in, saying they are quicker, and thus more effective. And he will stay with it all game long!
Run the ball, keep pounding it right at them. ND OL vs SC lighter DL is a W for ND

I don't consider myself smart, but i do like to have intelligent and meaningful discussions without having to put people down or belittle.
Just ignore him. He's not even an ND fan. He's a Pac 12 fan.

Reactions: U2fan
It seems everyone agrees that an offense that runs the ball and controls the clock has the best chance against USC. Well we have tried that the last three games and it has resulted in two losses. I watched USC play Colorado, arizona and Arizona State and the one common factor was that the other teams scored on big plays and not a dink and dunk offense. They got behind trying that style and when they let the offense loose they outscored USC.

It seems everyone agrees that an offense that runs the ball and controls the clock has the best chance against USC. Well we have tried that the last three games and it has resulted in two losses. I watched USC play Colorado, arizona and Arizona State and the one common factor was that the other teams scored on big plays and not a dink and dunk offense. They got behind trying that style and when they let the offense loose they outscored USC.
true: but does ND have such firepower?

The "run the ball, control the clock" strategy was turned upside down on its head with the new clock rule. The team that gets out front has a greater advantange than before...and teams that can score in a hurry thrive with the new rule. This favors an air attack like USC's. ND had better open up the offense.

The "run the ball, control the clock" strategy was turned upside down on its head with the new clock rule. The team that gets out front has a greater advantange than before...and teams that can score in a hurry thrive with the new rule. This favors an air attack like USC's. ND had better open up the offense.
I agree 100%. Just look at the teams that have almost beat USC. They are fast paced teams getting large chunk plays. They do not allow USC to get set on defense.

I suppose the flip side of this argument is a team that can run the ball can now take more time off the clock and thus further shorten the game more than before. If this game is a shootout, Notre Dame will lose. They need to keep Caleb Williams off the field as much as possible.

I agree 100%. Just look at the teams that have almost beat USC. They are fast paced teams getting large chunk plays. They do not allow USC to get set on defense.
Key word there is almost beat them. But they lost in a shootout. Perhaps another strategy would be more effective. Those teams had to move fast and get chunk plays to catch up. Your point is well taken though, teams have found some success moving fast on them.

ND will get 200-250 yds rushing; mostly between the (T)’s. USC 78-98

clueless

USC leads the nation in points per offensive play. .814 per play. link

It will be interesting to see if poor weather slows them down at all.

Reactions: NDinNJ
USC leads the nation in points per offensive play. .814 per play. link

It will be interesting to see if poor weather slows them down at all.
I would think that works in ND's favor. However, apparently Riley has been preparing them all week for rain by spraying the players with water during practice.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
I would think that works in ND's favor. However, apparently Riley has been preparing them all week for rain by spraying the players with water during practice.
Which is strange since it’s in the 80s and really dry. Seems like an unnecessary distraction

There seemed to be a few plays in the Louisville game that were a poor defensive play design. For example Louisville rushing TD that put them up 24-13 early in the 4th quarter. DJ Brown (2) appeared to have the play made by filling the B gap. It was difficult to tell if Brown was responsible for the B gap or outside contain. Or if your defensive end, number 12, had the B gap or outside contain. In any event, a little stutter step caused Brown to jump outside and then the Louisville tailback cut it up through the B gap for a touchdown. Who had outside contain on that play? Initial technique of 12 and 2 makes it seem like they both do. In any event, the fact you can't tell who had outside contain is not good. More likely a miscommunication by the players as opposed to a coaching mistake.

Refer to 1:29:48 to see what I am talking about.

ND should run it. Hart and Morrison at CB. Harper and Mickey at the two slot corners. Then play with your safeties. And since SC is in SOCAL call it Peso. Thematic element.

Nah. The coverage is quarters. I think it would be confusing. I like peso.
Lol. I like peso too but 7 defensive backs is quarter. You are correct that quarters is also the name of a coverage also known as cover 4.

Last edited:
Lol. I like peso too but 7 defensive backs is quarter. You are correct that quarters is also the name of a coverage also known as cover 4.
Too much money terminology for me. I call cover four dollar. Then we either play dollar switch(switching man) , Dollar bail (Loose zone). That alone sometimes confuses guys. Where you get one guy playing switch technique and the other three are playing bail.

I like Peso better because it gives the personnel package a unique identity.

Reactions: alpha08
Typically as a 4-2-5 defense we are already in Nickel. We sub to dime take out a LB. Becomes a 4-1-6. Do not like a 3 man rush. Every time I see teams in it they give up points it seems.

Typically as a 4-2-5 defense we are already in Nickel. We sub to dime take out a LB. Becomes a 4-1-6. Do not like a 3 man rush. Every time I see teams in it they give up points it seems.
Yup and that’s how Hartman converted on 4th and 16 against Duke. They rushed 3 and dropped 8.

When I looked at the tape I could have sworn that I saw Hartman throwing downfield !

Is that stretching the field ?

Vegas now has it approximately ND 32 USC 29

WRONG!

How did your prediction work out ? 😜

The Defense and Golden's plan were perfect.
USC was averaging 500+ yards of total offense and averaging 50+ points per game. ND held them to half that output

Anyone comparing Golden to BVG knows nothing about football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT