ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou coach says Notre Dame shouldn't be eligible for College Football Playoff

Here's the problem with that theory. You're XYZ Sports Network and you just paid a gazzilion dollars for the right to televise the CFB playoffs. The most loved/hated/watched college football team in the country goes 12-0 against a respectable schedule, and you are going to accept that they are ineligible for the playoffs you just paid all that money for? Part of the value of the playoffs lies in their legitimacy in crowning a champion. You make a rule whereby a team that clearly shows itself to be in the top 4, or top 8, or top whatever, cannot be in that playoff, you now lose legitimacy, you lose value, and the network paying all the money will not accept that. And fair minded CFB fans won't either.

I don't know if college football will require it to be a conference champion but I can see where they could especially if 64 to 72 teams break away to form a new division. The requirement to be in the new division of 64, might be contingent on being in one of the 4 conferences that a lot of people would assume would be left.

Even until then, I can see where even if the CFP doesn't state teams are eliminated if not in a conference and a conference champion they may require a ND be undefeated or a better record than the other conference champs. Who knows maybe they would even take a 11-2 Michigan who was a conference champ over a 11-1 ND.

In theory ND may be eligible but in practice when they go into the room to make the decision most of the selection has an allegiance to a conference. ND does not have that affiliation and I wouldn't be surprised if they find themselves squeezed out of the playoffs in a lot of situations.

I don't know if college football will require it to be a conference champion but I can see where they could especially if 64 to 72 teams break away to form a new division. The requirement to be in the new division of 64, might be contingent on being in one of the 4 conferences that a lot of people would assume would be left.

Even until then, I can see where even if the CFP doesn't state teams are eliminated if not in a conference and a conference champion they may require a ND be undefeated or a better record than the other conference champs. Who knows maybe they would even take a 11-2 Michigan who was a conference champ over a 11-1 ND.

In theory ND may be eligible but in practice when they go into the room to make the decision most of the selection has an allegiance to a conference. ND does not have that affiliation and I wouldn't be surprised if they find themselves squeezed out of the playoffs in a lot of situations.

It is quite clear that you think ND should be in a conference. Therefore, it is no surprise that you are trying to manufacture scenarios supporting your beliefs. Me? I'm not too terribly worried about it.

Then the playoff loses legitimacy, and the network paying to televise it won't accept that. If it's an arguable grey area like last year, that's one thing. But if it's obvious to everyone that a certain team belongs in the top 4 and they are left out, that won't work.

Then the playoff loses legitimacy, and the network paying to televise it won't accept that. If it's an arguable grey area like last year, that's one thing. But if it's obvious to everyone that a certain team belongs in the top 4 and they are left out, that won't work.

If four conferences break off to form their own division, there will presumably be a championship for that division. And there will probably be a championship for those who don't break off. The breakoff NC game might be USC vs Florida, while the non breakoff NC game might be ND vs UConn.

If four conferences break off to form their own division, there will presumably be a championship for that division. And there will probably be a championship for those who don't break off. The breakoff NC game might be USC vs Florida, while the non breakoff NC game might be ND vs UConn.
Yes, Schad, that would be a different situation. If there is ever really a move to four sixteen team super-conferences which I hope never happens, then the subjectivity is likely to be squeezed out of the process.

The P5 conferences create a system that basically locks out the teams from the so-called mid majors and then cries that ND gets preferential treatment...that they agreed to.

o_O

The college game wants to be more like the NFL when it comes to revenues and tv viewers. It is widely regarded as the most successful sports product in the country and Its not a bad place to start.

The NFL also pays players and just recently dropped its tax exempt status. I'm guessing the college game doesn't wan't to be more like the NFL in that respect. Not paying the help, not paying taxes, and getting people to just give you money - that seems like a pretty cool business model if you can swing it. I think college programs currently have a pretty good thing going.

And I think there's a point where following the NFL model too closely in the pursuit of tv revenue could have diminishing returns. Until recently, the NFL relied on the threat of local market blackouts to help sustain attendance. Personally, I'd never want to see that happen in the college game. But I've got to wonder why anyone would dish out a hundred bucks or so to watch - in person - a November Purdue-Northwestern game or a November Indiana-Maryland game when they can sit at home and watch for free.

The idea of these ever expanding conferences designed to increase the reach of television market might be good for tv revenue, but they hurt the tickets sales for the conference bottom dwellers. Might not be good for good for traditionally popular programs having a tough year either - ie. Free tickets with a Coke purchase.

The NFL also pays players and just recently dropped its tax exempt status. I'm guessing the college game doesn't wan't to be more like the NFL in that respect. Not paying the help, not paying taxes, and getting people to just give you money - that seems like a pretty cool business model if you can swing it. I think college programs currently have a pretty good thing going.

And I think there's a point where following the NFL model too closely in the pursuit of tv revenue could have diminishing returns. Until recently, the NFL relied on the threat of local market blackouts to help sustain attendance. Personally, I'd never want to see that happen in the college game. But I've got to wonder why anyone would dish out a hundred bucks or so to watch - in person - a November Purdue-Northwestern game or a November Indiana-Maryland game when they can sit at home and watch for free.

The idea of these ever expanding conferences designed to increase the reach of television market might be good for tv revenue, but they hurt the tickets sales for the conference bottom dwellers. Might not be good for good for traditionally popular programs having a tough year either - ie. Free tickets with a Coke purchase.

People go to hang out with their friends. People pay more than $100 to root for crappy NFL teams. If your program stinks (like Purdue or Wake), then you are just pulling that the team shows improvement from the prior season. Something like being a Cubs season ticket holder.

It is well documented that CFB attendance is down. There was actually an article in the Wall Street Journal on this issue earlier this week. AD's are very concerned that this is becoming a trend.

ESPN did a story on it this spring too. They're blaming bigger and better HD tv's. And I'm sure that comes into play. But TV's also jacking around with start times (and dates) for games so they can maximize their own tv revenue to spread their programming throughout the day and into the evening, plus some week nights. That's how ESPN can pay all that tv money.

Setting aside the question of why anyone would want to, how the heck does a working stiff go to a 9 PM Minnessota-TCU Thursday night game? Or how about Michigan-Utah matchup starting at 5:30 local time on a Thursday? The only reason that game gets scheduled like that is tv.

2015 TV CFB Schedule

Reactions: irishalice
I think athletic directors now are sacrificing long term fan interest for making money in the short term. As you point out (and as has been widely reported) attendance is down. And attendance is not down only at small schools. I specifically recall UGA and Michigan being named as two schools where attendance has fallen. I'm sure that cost has something to do with it. With every game on TV, it's hard for some people to justify paying $75-$100 just for the ticket to get into the game. But I'm also sure that the networks screwing around with the times of games, and the length of games, also has something to do with it.
IMO, ND is at least as much at fault as anyone. Starting games at 3:30 EST in November is ridiculous. And it looks like ND is perfectly willing to yield more and more control of the games to NBC. Twenty or thirty years from now, this may be looked back upon as a mistake.

I agree. And I'm not sure if I read the same WSJ article you were mentioning, but I found their article on student attendance and their low priority for wifi-access and high priority on better bathrooms and concessions especially interesting. To an extent, I think AD's have simply misjudged what fans really want.

I'm guessing AD's need to spend more time using the bathrooms we use and eating the food we're eating at the game. Maybe Jack should try sitting in the bleachers for the Wake Forest game this year.

From the Campus Crossroads Q&A:

Will there be changes in the current bowl relative to concessions, restrooms, and other amenities?

Those plans have not yet been finalized because they are not central to the new space being constructed, but we are committed to making sure that when this project is completed, the experience of every fan who attends a game is enhanced.

. . .

Will video boards be added to the stadium and, if so, where will they be situated?

Our fans, especially our younger fans, have been clear in communicating their strong desire to have better access to data and video when attending our games—a view that has been reinforced by their experience in other stadia when we host our Shamrock Series games. Some of that will be addressed through enhanced broadband connectivity in the stadium and some by the introduction of video, but the shape that will take has not yet been finalized. However, to the extent we provide video—whether in the concourse or in the stadium itself--similar to the philosophy in Purcell Pavilion and the Compton Family Ice Arena, there will be no commercial signage or advertising.

Will cellular and WiFi service be improved through this project?

Yes. Upgrades to those services are a part of this plan. Further details will be available as the project progresses.

JD98, that is the article I was referencing. And as both you and the article point out, a lot of AD's don't seem to understand why attendance is down. I think that there are so many dollars to be made in the short terms that they have convinced themselves that some issues which are real problems are not problems at all.

I just read the comments section of the article and am obliged to include a couple here. I and others have been saying this for years.

RE: student tickets -- include it in the annual student activity fee, like it was when I went to Purdue in the late '70's..."free" football came with your ID card...and the student section was packed (to include those who didn't have ID cards -- which was part of the fun)

RE: attending today's games -- I don't like the commercials between plays coming over the PA system and the big screen drowning out my conversation...don't make my live attendance feel like I'm at home...I want to experience the "I'm there" atmosphere...teams and bands playing, crowds cheering, fans-in-the-stands hijinks, etc.

DAN M WESTMORELAND
5 days ago
I suppose it doesn't matter to young people but I have been to my last college football game because of the noise from rap music played at the loudest possible volume. In a dome stadium it is absolutely unbearable. Plus you can't see. Plus there is no parking. Plus its way too expensive. You could say TV is killing it as well.Stay home and watch them all on a 65" HTV. I be tthe young guys have more fun partying at home. Its kind of simple. There is too the facts as stated in the article that young people just don't like sports any more. But the puzzle is what is it they they do like?

Last edited:
If the (very) Fighting Irish go Ofer in the loss column

then

you MUST be in the pig skin final 4!
CHAMPS001_zps6db155a3.jpg

All these clowns with opinions like Pinkel's need to explain why ND needs to conform to their structure. ND should be able to act in its own best interests without interference, just as every other school has done in the recent conference-jumping hysteria
Agree. ND should be allowed to do what they want. It is a free country. But then the committee should have the ability to ban them from the playoffs if they wont join a conf. Not having to play in a conf. and conf. championship game is an unfair advantage.

Agree. ND should be allowed to do what they want. It is a free country. But then the committee should have the ability to ban them from the playoffs if they wont join a conf. Not having to play in a conf. and conf. championship game is an unfair advantage.

Not having to play in a conference is neither an advantage nor disadvantage. Games aren't "harder" because they are against a conference opponent.

Furthermore, I'm not going to feel bad for a conference team that is "disadvantaged" because a conference, in a money-grab, decided to expand and hold a conference championship game. It may be an "advantage" to not have to play in one; at the same time, teams that do play a 13th game get an extra opportunity to show themselves off to the committee, which doesn't seem like a disadvantage to me.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Not having to play in a conference is neither an advantage nor disadvantage. Games aren't "harder" because they are against a conference opponent.

Furthermore, I'm not going to feel bad for a conference team that is "disadvantaged" because a conference, in a money-grab, decided to expand and hold a conference championship game. It may be an "advantage" to not have to play in one; at the same time, teams that do play a 13th game get an extra opportunity to show themselves off to the committee, which doesn't seem like a disadvantage to me.

Exactly. The idea that a school has an advantage by not playing in a CCG is bunk. Sometimes it is better to play in one than not to play in one.
Further, if it were such a disadvantage playing in a CCG, I expect that conferences would have done away with them.

I think athletic directors now are sacrificing long term fan interest for making money in the short term. As you point out (and as has been widely reported) attendance is down. And attendance is not down only at small schools. I specifically recall UGA and Michigan being named as two schools where attendance has fallen. I'm sure that cost has something to do with it. With every game on TV, it's hard for some people to justify paying $75-$100 just for the ticket to get into the game. But I'm also sure that the networks screwing around with the times of games, and the length of games, also has something to do with it.
IMO, ND is at least as much at fault as anyone. Starting games at 3:30 EST in November is ridiculous. And it looks like ND is perfectly willing to yield more and more control of the games to NBC. Twenty or thirty years from now, this may be looked back upon as a mistake.

I have nothing to add other than I agree with you 100%. Your comments are perfectly stated.

Exactly. The idea that a school has an advantage by not playing in a CCG is bunk. Sometimes it is better to play in one than not to play in one.
Further, if it were such a disadvantage playing in a CCG, I expect that conferences would have done away with them.

I agree. To me, it's sort of like anyone who owns a Jaguar that is complaining about how much it costs to maintain and service a Jaguar.

College football is coming to a big crossroad, thanks to the televising rights, and arms races between the major (and even midmajor) schools. The intersections they will choose from will be to stay as a college student athlete based sport with the traditions and rivalries. And the pagentry and ceremony of the game day / weekend traditions. Or to become the NFL jr. Where they make 5 or 6 16 team megaconferences, put them in pods, create divisions ala the NFL and play an NFL based schedule with an NFL based post season.

The single biggest problem in this is behind the scenes. You have a group of men (and a women where they are) that see the huge dollars that the NFL lures in, and the huge ratings and publicity the league gets. And even when schools like Purdue with their three win season last year still cleared over $32 million thanks to the B1G network and marketing agreements. To the B1G as a league they feel there was still money left on the table to be had. Look at Vandy, a school that is adding to their facilities at warp speed from $9 million sound systems to 10's of million in new buildings and training centers to be able to compete with the upper edge of college football. TAMU is doing the same.

And the worst part is the fans are the one that made this possible, and they are the ones that will get screwed the worst out of the deal. Gone will be the OOC annual games. And the new normal will be more neutral site games in NFL stadiums tucked in recruiting centers (something ND is very guilty of doing whenever possible). When these cathedrals of college football sit empty and the bands and the game day traditions go unused because two schools were more concerned with the arms race vs the traditions.

College football is coming to a big crossroad, thanks to the televising rights, and arms races between the major (and even midmajor) schools. The intersections they will choose from will be to stay as a college student athlete based sport with the traditions and rivalries. And the pagentry and ceremony of the game day / weekend traditions. Or to become the NFL jr. Where they make 5 or 6 16 team megaconferences, put them in pods, create divisions ala the NFL and play an NFL based schedule with an NFL based post season.

The single biggest problem in this is behind the scenes. You have a group of men (and a women where they are) that see the huge dollars that the NFL lures in, and the huge ratings and publicity the league gets. And even when schools like Purdue with their three win season last year still cleared over $32 million thanks to the B1G network and marketing agreements. To the B1G as a league they feel there was still money left on the table to be had. Look at Vandy, a school that is adding to their facilities at warp speed from $9 million sound systems to 10's of million in new buildings and training centers to be able to compete with the upper edge of college football. TAMU is doing the same.

And the worst part is the fans are the one that made this possible, and they are the ones that will get screwed the worst out of the deal. Gone will be the OOC annual games. And the new normal will be more neutral site games in NFL stadiums tucked in recruiting centers (something ND is very guilty of doing whenever possible). When these cathedrals of college football sit empty and the bands and the game day traditions go unused because two schools were more concerned with the arms race vs the traditions.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. But again, are the AD's, conferences and schools focusing too much on short term monetary gain to the detriment of long term fan interest? As you accurately point out, traditions and rivalries are a huge part of CFB. And when we have so many rivalries being discarded and abandoned, and so many traditions being eroded, how will that play out in the long term?
Attendance is already decreasing. Any regular attendee of games at ND knows that tickets to all but the biggest games are readily available around the stadium before game time. Is it important that attendance is decreasing? Or is it more important that millions be squeezed out of TV deals?

I don't disagree with what you are saying. But again, are the AD's, conferences and schools focusing too much on short term monetary gain to the detriment of long term fan interest? As you accurately point out, traditions and rivalries are a huge part of CFB. And when we have so many rivalries being discarded and abandoned, and so many traditions being eroded, how will that play out in the long term?
Attendance is already decreasing. Any regular attendee of games at ND knows that tickets to all but the biggest games are readily available around the stadium before game time. Is it important that attendance is decreasing? Or is it more important that millions be squeezed out of TV deals?

None of us know how much back room dealing goes on. But we can all safely assume it is a load more than is reported. The AD's, and the coaches are living in a time where 'win at all costs' and 'win now' is more important than 'student athlete'. And using football to get a TV deal with $30+ million a year pays for the entire athletic budget. Its hard for an AD or school President to go to the average booster, or alumni association with this argument

'Dear alum, We are working on building a new training building for our student athletes to allow them to compete in the 21st century against any other school in the country. Yes are asking for your support to pay for this. And the reason we are doing that is because we turned down a terrific ESPIN/FOX type broadcasting payout because we didn't want to lose a couple of traditions for the football team, so instead 20+ other varsity sports need additional funding'

Sure they dress it up better. But that is the reality of it. While Football is king. Look at just last week the quote from Brey about the university not upgrading the facilities for his Basketball team. So that is an argument he can make about not getting recruits. Which leads to lackluster teams, and costs him, and ultimately the school championship runs.

When Nebraska bolted from the B12, 5 other schools all wanted to bolt with them as a package deal. Because they needed the cash, since the LongHorn Network was going to drown them out of the market.

As with all other things. Cash is King. Everything else is crap.

Truth is, if Mizzou could be independent they would do it in a heart beat. But they can't, and that eats at them and every other program that brings up this topic every single season.

The day ND signed a five game a year contract with the ACC the independence you once cherished was gone.

Time to pony up and join the B!G where you belong.

You can have the West division all to yourselves.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

The day ND signed a five game a year contract with the ACC the independence you once cherished was gone.

Just wrong all the way around. You think the Big 10 is so great? Go have at it.

Reactions: Classic Irish

Yes they are more difficult. If ND kept it same schedule, but then added one more tough game at the end of the season, it is certainly harder to deal with. First off, it can add an extra game. Second, you are playing a very good team and a possible top 5 team in that conf. champ game. This year usc might have to play oregon twice if we make the conf. champ. Imagine if you played in the acc and had to play fsu twice. Or the big 10 and had to play ohio state twice. Or even if you were in the big 10 and missed osu because they were not in your division, but still had to play them in the conf champ game. Would you want to face Harbaugh at mich once or twice in the season. So these games are very tough. It makes a huge difference because ND is not forced into playing a conf. champ game. In fact ND is not really forced into anything to much. Although you are now a a partial acc team. But for years ND could avoid whomever they wanted to avoid.

Yes they are more difficult. If ND kept it same schedule, but then added one more tough game at the end of the season, it is certainly harder to deal with. First off, it can add an extra game. Second, you are playing a very good team and a possible top 5 team in that conf. champ game. This year usc might have to play oregon twice if we make the conf. champ. Imagine if you played in the acc and had to play fsu twice. Or the big 10 and had to play ohio state twice. Or even if you were in the big 10 and missed osu because they were not in your division, but still had to play them in the conf champ game. Would you want to face Harbaugh at mich once or twice in the season. So these games are very tough. It makes a huge difference because ND is not forced into playing a conf. champ game. In fact ND is not really forced into anything to much. Although you are now a a partial acc team. But for years ND could avoid whomever they wanted to avoid.

Please. In 2011, UCLA played in the PAC 10 championship game with a 6-6 record.

Who did we "want to avoid"? Keep in mind that a number of conference teams don't particularly play anyone outside of their conference schedules. ND schedules rank consistently with any other general conference team.

You seem to have missed my point from earlier. A "conference" game by virtue of being a "conference" game, is not any harder for that team that one of Notre Dame's "nonconference" games. I get that conference teams may have to play an extra game. Congrats. That's what you get for wanting more money. Again, I'm not feeling bad for you. It's just as much as a "disadvantage" (as your examples give) as it is an "advantage" (see Ohio State's romp of Wisconsin this year).

List me all the years that the CCG has been a rematch of a x-division game since the SEC put the game in, in 92.

Specifically all the times the ACC has, since that would be the most likely landing spot for ND

Last edited:
Who did we "want to avoid"? Keep in mind that a number of conference teams don't particularly play anyone outside of their conference schedules. ND schedules rank consistently with any other general conference team.

You seem to have missed my point from earlier. A "conference" game by virtue of being a "conference" game, is not any harder for that team that one of Notre Dame's "nonconference" games. I get that conference teams may have to play an extra game. Congrats. That's what you get for wanting more money. Again, I'm not feeling bad for you. It's just as much as a "disadvantage" (as your examples give) as it is an "advantage" (see Ohio State's romp of Wisconsin this year).

I agree. Strength of schedule is very important too. But if everyone else has to play in a conf to get in, ND should too. And just because osu blew out wisky does not mean that they were a bad team. ND does lot of things to make their schedule easier. Only scheduling 4 true away games each year. I don't mean neutral games against navy in Ireland. Or playing purdue somewhere in Indiana. I mean true away games at the opponents home field. Like you did when you played FSU at their stadium. So while I do like ND's schedule, it is much easier when you only have to play 4 true away games per year. If you play 12 games in a year a year ND should have to play 6 true away games. Or 5 true away, one neutral and 6 at home. Bu then next they must 6 true away, 1 neutral and and 5 at home. And so should the SEC.

I agree. Strength of schedule is very important too. But if everyone else has to play in a conf to get in, ND should too. And just because osu blew out wisky does not mean that they were a bad team. ND does lot of things to make their schedule easier. Only scheduling 4 true away games each year. I don't mean neutral games against navy in Ireland. Or playing purdue somewhere in Indiana. I mean true away games at the opponents home field. Like you did when you played FSU at their stadium. So while I do like ND's schedule, it is much easier when you only have to play 4 true away games per year. If you play 12 games in a year a year ND should have to play 6 true away games. Or 5 true away, one neutral and 6 at home. Bu then next they must 6 true away, 1 neutral and and 5 at home. And so should the SEC.

Why? Why should ND be penalized because certain conferences (not including the Big 12, mind you), are greedy and think they need the money from a CCG? What is your basis for saying "ND should too" other than your personal prejudice?
And why should ND have to play six true away games? Other schools, primarily Big 10 and SEC schools, commonly plays 8 true homes games and 4 true away games in a given year. Why should ND be subject to a different standard, other than, again, your personal prejudice?
You know, if I were a fan of your school, I wouldn't push too hard. ND is your chief rival. I don't think you want us to stop playing you.

Last edited:

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Much like your cute little picture, the Big 10 is a joker also.

Hold on a minute.

You are talking about ND's scheduling model as a Trojan? Who's second biggest rivalry is literally in the exact same city as you? And the two of you play one another every year no matter what, in said city?

How many games does USC play annually in the city of LA? On top of which, if USC does make the CCG where is that game played? Which state, and how far away from the home crowd?

Hold on a minute.

You are talking about ND's scheduling model as a Trojan? Who's second biggest rivalry is literally in the exact same city as you? And the two of you play one another every year no matter what, in said city?

How many games does USC play annually in the city of LA? On top of which, if USC does make the CCG where is that game played? Which state, and how far away from the home crowd?

Depends. Southern Cal played 7 games in Los Angeles this year, counting the UCLA game. It's hard to exactly calculate, because the Pac 12 plays a 5/4 schedule. If Southern Cal schedules a series with anyone, then they can only have six home games, max. If UCLA is a home game that year, then that means 6 games in Los Angeles.

CCG depends on their record. If the North team has a better record, then it's either northern California, Oregon, or Washington.

No one "has" to play in a conference to get into the playoff. Teams join conference because it benefits them financially, and for other reasons.

ND does a lot of things to make their schedule easier, such as scheduling 4 true away games? Yeah - no one else does that. You may not want to check the schedules of the four 2014 playoff participants.

Hold on a minute.

usc plays at ucla's stadium. and ucla plays at usc's stadium. that is totally fair. It is still a big advantage to play at home in either the rose bowl or the coliseum. I have no problem with nd playing at purdue's home stadium and purdue playing at nd. usc playing at ucla is still a true away game. just like when you play that weak purdue team at purdue it is still a true away game. now if we played ucla in arizona it would be neutral game. But we don't. we play them at their home stadium.

No one "has" to play in a conference to get into the playoff. Teams join conference because it benefits them financially, and for other reasons.

ND does a lot of things to make their schedule easier, such as scheduling 4 true away games? Yeah - no one else does that. You may not want to check the schedules of the four 2014 playoff participants.
Right. But I think they should have to join a conf. to get into a playoff. Just like you have to go to med school if you want to become a doctor. I believe in fair play. And I believe that being an independent is a big advantage. And to me, sports about fair play. And yes, just because other teams do the 4 true away games thing does not mean that I agree with it. It is also unfair. Why don't you just cut the hamstrings of the opposing teams when you play them? If it could be legal, you should do it. Right?

And why? Because it makes you money. Almost every team sport has a conference that they play in. From high school on up. ND should be in one too.

Not entirely accurate. The Cal-Oregon was a home game for Cal. They just played it in the 49ers new stadium because it was the opening event for that stadium. The ticket allotment still went to Cal as a home game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT