ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou coach says Notre Dame shouldn't be eligible for College Football Playoff

It sure is nice that the Notre Dame is in the Mizzou coach's head. He must have a lot of time on his hands to be worrying about a school he doesn't even play.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
How would ND joining the ACC further Pinkel's professed goal, which is every conference having a CCG? Maybe he should worry about Mizzou upgrading their schedule, so they don't play Southeast Missouri St., Arkansas St., UConn and BYU, as they do this year.

As I stated on another site.
Good coach and recruiter. Not great.
And why not exclude the SEC. The CFB playoffs are for amateurs and student-athletes. One could make an case for the fact that 50% SEC football players are neither.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
This should go over well here lol

LINK
His NFL analogy might be construed as admitting that SEC players are paid. He also fails to realize that NFL teams don't play semi-pro teams from Peoria, which would be the equivalent to a few teams on Mizzou's schedule.

I think any team that plays a 1-AA school shouldn't be allowed in the playoff. So bye bye douchey Pinkel team.

We Are ND......We don't see teams like SE Missouri State on the schedule.

Political pressure like this will always block ND from the playoff. I've been saying it for a year. Let's just enjoy the season and hope the players get inspired to pound every team they play. I'll enjoy every loss Missouri racks up this year.

How would ND joining the ACC further Pinkel's professed goal, which is every conference having a CCG? Maybe he should worry about Mizzou upgrading their schedule, so they don't play Southeast Missouri St., Arkansas St., UConn and BYU, as they do this year.

I must quibble because we have played both BYU and UConn--even managed to lose to UConn--in the past few years. And BYU is in the top-10 for wins in the past 35 years, as per a recent poll someone posted on this site. Not that I agree with Pinkel's assessment, m ind you.

All these clowns with opinions like Pinkel's need to explain why ND needs to conform to their structure. ND should be able to act in its own best interests without interference, just as every other school has done in the recent conference-jumping hysteria

Everyone has a right to an opinion even if their opinions may be stupid, ignorant and without any merit.

A few more mediocre seasons ,Pinkel will be packing .
The 5 major conferences will dictate the final 4 ,eliminating the AAC,Sun Belt , Conference USA,Mountain West . If one of these teams in the smaller (not considered a major player) upsets a big time power , they still would not be considered because of strength of schedule.

With the reemergence of USC ,and UCLA,Oregon in the PAC 12, along with the SEC (Alabama ,LSU) ,plus the ACC
(Clemson,Florida St) , Big 10 power. Ohio State, Big 12 powers Baylor,TCU ,Oklahoma, Notre Dame will have to go undefeated
to get a bid .Don't think 1 loss will get ND in the final 4

This ends the next time (with a real HC) ND goes 12-0 and ranked #1 going into the playoffs. Then everyone asks (particularly TV who pays the bills) why didn't we let ND in...

To SALittleGiants513,

You are right .Didn't check his record the last 2 years . Pretty successful .Mizzou does not play Alabama,LSU ,Auburn in the other division of the SEC. They do play Georgia,Tennessee ,Florida,South Carolina,Arkansas, in addition to out of conference games Southeast Missouri State,Arkansas St., UConn,BYU,

A few more mediocre seasons ,Pinkel will be packing .
The 5 major conferences will dictate the final 4 ,eliminating the AAC,Sun Belt , Conference USA,Mountain West . If one of these teams in the smaller (not considered a major player) upsets a big time power , they still would not be considered because of strength of schedule.

With the reemergence of USC ,and UCLA,Oregon in the PAC 12, along with the SEC (Alabama ,LSU) ,plus the ACC
(Clemson,Florida St) , Big 10 power. Ohio State, Big 12 powers Baylor,TCU ,Oklahoma, Notre Dame will have to go undefeated
to get a bid .Don't think 1 loss will get ND in the final 4
Hasn't Mizzou won the SEC East the last two years? Or two of the last three years?

They were crap before going to the vaunted SEC then won it 2 years in a row. So much for ESPN.

I'm a fan of ND and Mizzou, as I grew up a ND fan but went to school at Mizzou. I don't think it's a fair statement to say that Mizzou is a crap program or that Pinkel isn't a good coach. I would say that Pinkel has been able to do a lot more with a lot less talent than ND, with Pinkel at the helm. I also think that Pinkel has every right to his opinion just like Brian Kelly has every right to his opinion.

As far as Pinkel's statement, if any team could get past some of the juggernauts of the SEC West in a Conference Championship game, then they should be represented in the College Football Playoffs. I say this knowing fully well that Mizzou hasn't been able to do it the past couple of years. I think he's trying to say that the Big 12, in addition to ND (and the other Independents), need to be on the same level as the other Power 5 conference schools. Schools just need to be on a level playing field if they should be considered for the College Football Playoffs.

Also, I think ND and Mizzou's schedules are pretty comparable when it comes to schedule strength. I mean, you can disrespect Mizzou for playing Arkansas State, UConn, and SEMO. But it's not like ND doesn't have cupcakes either (i.e. UMass, Temple, Wake Forest).

JMO

I'm a fan of ND and Mizzou, as I grew up a ND fan but went to school at Mizzou. I don't think it's a fair statement to say that Mizzou is a crap program or that Pinkel isn't a good coach. I would say that Pinkel has been able to do a lot more with a lot less talent than ND, with Pinkel at the helm. I also think that Pinkel has every right to his opinion just like Brian Kelly has every right to his opinion.

As far as Pinkel's statement, if any team could get past some of the juggernauts of the SEC West in a Conference Championship game, then they should be represented in the College Football Playoffs. I say this knowing fully well that Mizzou hasn't been able to do it the past couple of years. I think he's trying to say that the Big 12, in addition to ND (and the other Independents), need to be on the same level as the other Power 5 conference schools. Schools just need to be on a level playing field if they should be considered for the College Football Playoffs.

Also, I think ND and Mizzou's schedules are pretty comparable when it comes to schedule strength. I mean, you can disrespect Mizzou for playing Arkansas State, UConn, and SEMO. But it's not like ND doesn't have cupcakes either (i.e. UMass, Temple, Wake Forest).

JMO

I'm not going to feel bad that there isn't a "level" playing field because certain conferences wanted to make more money and host a conference championship game.

They were crap before going to the vaunted SEC then won it 2 years in a row. So much for ESPN.
Huh????? Everything you wrote is simply untrue. They got destroyed two years in a row in the SEC title game by Bama and Auburn. They haven't won the SEC title- ever.

Also, they were the no. 1 team in the nation back around 2007 under Pinkel. Chase Daniel was their QB. They were playing in the Big 12 title game with a shot at going to the BCS national title game and that was less than a decade ago. Get it together!

God Bless 'Merica

JMO
You're way off-base. Wake is not meant to be a patsie. They've been good in the past. 2007 BCS bowl participants. Temple is by no means a gimme game. They are an eight win team this year and will shock plenty of teams. Umass is the only gift game for ND. Every team has at least one gimme game. Why can't ND? I have no respect for power teams that schedule 1-AA schools though. UMass would beat SE Mo State by three TD's. Schools like Mizzou and Bama ruin college football. The Tide is probably playing 1-AA Georgia State again this season.

All these clowns with opinions like Pinkel's need to explain why ND needs to conform to their structure. ND should be able to act in its own best interests without interference, just as every other school has done in the recent conference-jumping hysteria

I know this won't go over well and sometimes tone is hard to imply when written but I think most of college football fans would turn your statement around to read: "why does the rest of college football need to conform or shape its structure to accommodate ND being independent?"

For example the brand of a Steelers, Cowboys, Giants or Patriots is not allowed to be bigger than the league, and operate in their own world so to speak. College football is moving towards this model IMO. (I think for the better, others can argue against but I think it is happening).

I really don't mean this to spark anger but I don't think ND will be allowed to operate with its own set of rules in a relevant manner in the years to come. They can continue to be independent for some time at least until their is a P5 and probably eventually a P4 break away, but I believe it will come with a diminished relevance at least in respect to competing for the playoffs. Or at the very least will have more obstacles to overcome to be a part of the playoffs.

I know this won't go over well and sometimes tone is hard to imply when written but I think most of college football fans would turn your statement around to read: "why does the rest of college football need to conform or shape its structure to accommodate ND being independent?"

For example the brand of a Steelers, Cowboys, Giants or Patriots is not allowed to be bigger than the league, and operate in their own world so to speak. College football is moving towards this model IMO. (I think for the better, others can argue against but I think it is happening).

I really don't mean this to spark anger but I don't think ND will be allowed to operate with its own set of rules in a relevant manner in the years to come. They can continue to be independent for some time at least until their is a P5 and probably eventually a P4 break away, but I believe it will come with a diminished relevance at least in respect to competing for the playoffs. Or at the very least will have more obstacles to overcome to be a part of the playoffs.

The NFL isn't college football. Analogies to how the NFL does things is stupid.

It's like saying "Well, colleges do this academically, so why don't high schools do the same thing?"

The NFL isn't college football. Analogies to how the NFL does things is stupid.

It's like saying "Well, colleges do this academically, so why don't high schools do the same thing?"

The college game wants to be more like the NFL when it comes to revenues and tv viewers. It is widely regarded as the most successful sports product in the country and Its not a bad place to start.

Here's the problem with that theory. You're XYZ Sports Network and you just paid a gazzilion dollars for the right to televise the CFB playoffs. The most loved/hated/watched college football team in the country goes 12-0 against a respectable schedule, and you are going to accept that they are ineligible for the playoffs you just paid all that money for? Part of the value of the playoffs lies in their legitimacy in crowning a champion. You make a rule whereby a team that clearly shows itself to be in the top 4, or top 8, or top whatever, cannot be in that playoff, you now lose legitimacy, you lose value, and the network paying all the money will not accept that. And fair minded CFB fans won't either.

Notre Dame has been an independent since 1887. It wasn't that long ago that schools such as Penn St., FSU, BC, Pitt, Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Rugers, etc., were independents. Those other schools changed. ND didn't change. ND just kept what it was doing for more than a century. Those schools did what they believed was best for themselves. ND is doing what it believes is best for itself.
ND is not "operating within its own set of rules." ND plays by the same rules as everyone else.

Reactions: Bodizephax
The college game wants to be more like the NFL when it comes to revenues and tv viewers. It is widely regarded as the most successful sports product in the country and Its not a bad place to start.

The NFL is a horrible place to start. If people want to follow the NFL, they are free to do so. What purpose is there in having two entities (the NFL and CFB) do the same thing?

Reactions: Bodizephax

The revenues brought in by the NFL and the eyeballs it attracts has very little to do with the fact that the league is structured into eight 4-team divisions.

I just wonder if the powers will squeeze ND into submission and joining a conference will be their only way into the play-off system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT