ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Freeman, year 1 disappointment by the numbers

BK also went 4-8 in year 7 at ND. Previous head coaches were fired for such debacles well into their tenure. Outside of 2012, BK's first 7 years were mediocre at best. There is a reason he holds the record for most losses as an ND head coach.
BK also navigated a 12-0 regular season record in year 3, one of three undefeated regular seasons in his South bend tenure.

Narratives come in all shapes and sizes.

• Haha
Reactions: Ndapolis1
Improvement over what? A NC game? A Heisman finalist? 2 playoff games? Multiple 11-1 seasons? Multiple 12-0 seasons? Wins over multiple top 10 teams? Top 3 recruiting class? Multiple 5 star recruits? Enough demand to get bought out by an SEC team? Grooming an OC that Saban wants? Hiring the next ND head coach? Shall I go on? Winning multiple D2 national titles? Turning two programs around and making Cincy a relevant program it never would be? Fixing ND from 2 decades of disaster and rebuilding the program Freeman inherited? You’re allowed to like Freeman more. That’s your prerogative. Saying he’s an improvement based on stats is a lie. Hopefully Freeman can do all that. He’s our guy.
Dude, I'm not sure if you know this... but Brian Kelly left ND. I didn't want him to leave but he took the money and bolted. He's one of top 5 coaches in CFB. And I'm very grateful for what he did for the Irish. But "multiple 5* recruits", wins over "multiple top ten teams" -- that was a the knock on BK -- he didn't get may top ten wins and he wasn't a Saban-like recruiter. But he did get us to the dance 3 times and that is huge. Once he departed, it was a choice between a proven coach in Fickell (which would have meant watching the '22 recruiting class fall apart) and the player's choice in young Marcus Freeman (a coach on the rise with no HC experience.) Like a lot of us I thought hard about this and went with Freeman. I thought he did an admirable job in his first season -- Kelly never had to deal with losing his staring QB for 10 games! -- he beat a top ten team in Clemson and got us a win in the bowl game. He's a true ND guy who is doing what he can in the NIL/Payto play era of CFB. I just hope he gets a great OC.

BK also navigated a 12-0 regular season record in year 3, one of three undefeated regular seasons in his South bend tenure.

That 12-0 season was very weak, if I remember right we should have lost the Pitt game 3times, but was happy with the win!

That 12-0 season was very weak, if I remember right we should have lost the Pitt game 3times, but was happy with the win!
“You are what your record says you are.”

If you are going to point to 4-8 in 2016.....fine, then also point to 12-0 in 2012, and 12-0 in 2018 as well.

BK also went 4-8 in year 7 at ND. Previous head coaches were fired for such debacles well into their tenure. Outside of 2012, BK's first 7 years were mediocre at best. There is a reason he holds the record for most losses as an ND head coach.
Bama agrees. Somehow we were rated #1 going into that curb stomping

Typical excuse from your type. We all get your virtue signaling. I’m all in for Freeman’s success. I also like him personally, unlike BK. He’s a Catholic man that has values and presents a good image for the school. I hope he is the best coach in ND history. That doesn’t change that he’s the least experienced coach in ND history. Facts don’t lie. The odds are sometimes great and sometimes small. But Notre Dame will win over all. His odds go up tremendously if he makes good hires. So far he’s done a helluva job in hiring, with the exception of Al Washington. Ludwig would make his odd go up.
Explain the "virtue signalling" in his response.....

High ranking recruiting classes are irrelevant if they don’t translate into and produce highly successful W/L records.

In the words of the great American philosopher, Vince Lombardi, “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the ONLY thing !’

Crowing about recruiting classes is useless if you’re not winning almost all or all of your games on Saturday.

Call me crazy, but I’m a RESULTS ORIENTED fan !

Calling you crazy is being much too kind….by the way, in the past year I’ve had a pnuematic retinopexy, a cryopexy, a skleral buckle and 2 cataract surgeries for my detached retina and don’t need to respond in bold…quit being a wimp.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Sure there is.

You can easily make a case that OSU, USC and Clemson are better teams than we are

And theres some other opponenets who could be dangerous
No you can’t with Clemson and usc… usc has an elite qb though and osu will have a green qb

Seriously? Let's dig in:

1. Beat top ten team, improvement.
  2. Won bowl game, improvement.
  3. Highest average recruit rating ('23) in ten years at 3.79 (during that time 3.59 was the highest), improvement.
  4. Brought in #1 transfer recruit, a 6* QB, improvement.
  5. Currently has the #2 ranked recruiting class for 2024, big improvement.
  6. Including a (soon to be) 5* recruit at QB, improvement.

And... Coach Freeman did alls this with...
  1. A brand new staff including six new coaches,,,
  2. A starting QB who had never started a game, AND that QB was injured in game #2! (how may teams shined with that variable?)
  3. Toughest schedule in the last five years.
Yes, he lost two games he never should have lost but he won a couple Kelly would not have won, (given the injury to his starting QB.) All in all a solid start for a very young coach in his first year at the helm.

I'm buying ND with Marcus as HC.
He didn’t win a game Kelly wouldn’t have… Clemson was not good last year and South Carolina was missing over half their starters and we still struggled

• Haha
Please, you showed your true " colors" here when he was being rumored for the job. Go back and read your old posts from that time. For the record Bob Stoops, Kirby Smart, Dabo and others have all won National Championships in their very first Head coaching stints since ND has won one. The whole narrative that a guy must have experience is dumb. The right guy is the right guy.
The right guy doesn’t go backwards multiple years in a row so 2023 is big

• Haha
The right guy doesn’t go backwards multiple years in a row so 2023 is big
Do you ever have anything positive to say? All you seemingly do on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis is sit on a couch, then you point and criticize anything and everything wrong with Notre Dame Football, whether it is players or coaches.

Dude, we get it.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Calling you crazy is being much too kind….by the way, in the past year I’ve had a pnuematic retinopexy, a cryopexy, a skleral buckle and 2 cataract surgeries for my detached retina and don’t need to respond in bold…quit being a wimp.
here is hoping n praying for better healthier days ahead! God Bless.

Last edited:
Ouch!

Seriously? A 12-0 season was “weak”. Think about how stupid you sound. You clearly have a bias.
He's right that we weren't exactly a dominant juggernaut that season. But your point of course is very well taken, 12-0 is 12-0. We did it, we climbed the mountaintop, we ran the gauntlet, and then we totally got our ass kicked by a dominant Bama team that was on another level. And if Colin Klein and K-State had just taken care of business, we could have beat them.....

No you can’t with Clemson and usc… usc has an elite qb though and osu will have a green qb
Absolutely can. They both will probably be ranked ahead of us in all the polls.

SC beat us last year, has the best QB in the nation and will have an explosive offense. Clemson is always good and now they have a real qb and they are tough to beat at home

Easy to see 3 losses out of those. I dont think we do but not a crazy thought to day we lose to any of those

They are top 10 teams

If you are going to play that silly game, 3-9 Stanford agreed as well last season.
I’m missing the analogy. Last year we were not undefeated and highly ranked. Poster was commenting on the flukes that lead to 12-0 and championship game in 2012. Most teams need to have an element of luck to get to title game and most objective observers would say we had more then our share that year. No different then TCU this year—- they got a ton of breaks until they didn’t.

And never got close to winning a playoff game. Each of those 3 teams got spanked with zero improvement vs the elites.

Sorry for your health issues.

”wimp” ?

As for the past year, on 02-07-22 I was diagnosed with cancer…… again.

95 % of patients diagnosed with my first cancer don’t survive 5 years,
I went through a year of radiation and chemotherapy and I’m now heading toward 20 years.

In addition to several surgeries for my current cancer, I’ve been on chemo/immunotherapy for about a year and will continue with chemo/immunotherapy for as long as the doctors dictate

On 01-05-23 while receiving chemo/immunotherapy in the hospital for my current cancer I contracted two bacterial infections, one of which was in my blood. On 01-10-23 911 was called. The EMT’s took my temperature at 105.7 and the ambulance rushed me to the hospital where I was confined and administered strong antibiotics for ten days, then I had a PIC line inserted in my right arm afterb they failed in their attempt to get it in my left arm, and then I administered antibiotics through the PIC line for another 7 Days before it was removed.

I’ve had 5 heart procedures, so it’s obvious that you spoke out of ignorance regarding my medical issues.

Your medical issues are trivial when compared to mine.

”wimp” ? I have more fight and resilience in my pinky than you have in your entire body !

Add in the fact that I cared for my dying wife for close to two years when she was diagnosed with a terminal High Grade Glioma, an incurable brain tumor on 03-23-20. Three of her doctors at MSKCC told me that if they ever get sick they want me to manage their medical care

Here’s some food for thought for you.

The Infectious Disease doctor, upon seeing me for the 7th consecutive day in the hospital asked me, “WHY are you always so happy ?”
Think about that question and what prompted that question

I won’t bore you with the answer.

”wimp” ? You don’t have one thousandths of the fortitude, fabric and fiber that i possess.

Nor the brains either !

OUCH !

What a soft, attention-craving post. Grow up.

Sorry for your health issues.

”wimp” ?

As for the past year, on 02-07-22 I was diagnosed with cancer…… again.

95 % of patients diagnosed with my first cancer don’t survive 5 years,
I went through a year of radiation and chemotherapy and I’m now heading toward 20 years.

In addition to several surgeries for my current cancer, I’ve been on chemo/immunotherapy for about a year and will continue with chemo/immunotherapy for as long as the doctors dictate

On 01-05-23 while receiving chemo/immunotherapy in the hospital for my current cancer I contracted two bacterial infections, one of which was in my blood. On 01-10-23 911 was called. The EMT’s took my temperature at 105.7 and the ambulance rushed me to the hospital where I was confined and administered strong antibiotics for ten days, then I had a PIC line inserted in my right arm afterb they failed in their attempt to get it in my left arm, and then I administered antibiotics through the PIC line for another 7 Days before it was removed.

I’ve had 5 heart procedures, so it’s obvious that you spoke out of ignorance regarding my medical issues.

Your medical issues are trivial when compared to mine.

”wimp” ? I have more fight and resilience in my pinky than you have in your entire body !

Add in the fact that I cared for my dying wife for close to two years when she was diagnosed with a terminal High Grade Glioma, an incurable brain tumor on 03-23-20. Three of her doctors at MSKCC told me that if they ever get sick they want me to manage their medical care

Here’s some food for thought for you.

The Infectious Disease doctor, upon seeing me for the 7th consecutive day in the hospital asked me, “WHY are you always so happy ?”
Think about that question and what prompted that question

I won’t bore you with the answer.

”wimp” ? You don’t have one thousandths of the fortitude, fabric and fiber that i possess.

Nor the brains either !

OUCH !
You keep being you, Pat. We got your back!

Reactions: NDinNJ
Do you ever have anything positive to say? All you seemingly do on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis is sit on a couch, then you point and criticize anything and everything wrong with Notre Dame Football, whether it is players or coaches.

Dude, we get it.
Actually YOU don’t

BK cut his teeth at a D2 school and is a self made man. While I may not like everything about BK, the man did it on his own and earned every bit it. He deserves to be at LSU. He spent 20 years moving up before ND even bothered considering him. Not comparable. We can root for Freeman while understanding the privilege afforded to him as well.
By this logic we have to give Freeman four years of 8-5 while he finishes honing his chompers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT