ADVERTISEMENT

Is Brian Kelly the right guy?

Don't agree that 8-4 year after year after year is acceptable to ND fans who have become conditioned to this. I do think 8-4 is acceptable to most ND fans and the administration if this is our low point every three or four years while being 10 plus win team in between and in the NC discussion. Agree that Kelly gets ND and has put in the work to rebuild the program. Remains to be seen if he can consistently win 10 plus games and recruit elite defensive talent on a regular basis.
Kelly has had a 12 win and 9 win seasons at ND. Why does everyone say he has had nothing but 8 wins per season?

I really don't think it matters what name they want to replace Kelly with. They will not like him either and will just trash him like they do Kelly. If ND and Kelly piss you idiots off so much, why not go a root for another school. Oh that's right, you where never ND fans to begin with.

Reactions: Bodizephax
He throttled Michigan 31 - 0 - really has the Corn and Blue mad ... nothing they can do about it.

Unless Ara is ready and willing to come out of retirement then BK is our guy. He's not my favorite but there is no realistic name out there that has that wow factor. He gets ND. Do not underestimate that fact. I am still upset with him over the Tulsa game and I am not willing to let it go just yet. He did beat FSU last season and stood behind "the play" and his players when questioned after the game. I liked that. Plus, I attended a Chicago (the band) concert a couple of years ago and he and Paqui were introduced as esteemed attendees. I liked that. He took the Irish to the BCS title game. That was good. He beat a good SEC team in a bowl game last season. Also very good. I am very comfortable with BK as our HC.

Reactions: echowaker
I really don't think it matters what name they want to replace Kelly with. They will not like him either and will just trash him like they do Kelly. If ND and Kelly piss you idiots off so much, why not go a root for another school. Oh that's right, you where never ND fans to begin with.
I am so tired of this McCarthyism tactic. If someone disagrees with you point of view or does not like Kelly, they are automatically branded as "not being a Notre Dame fan". Why not brand them a communist as well. Idiot.

Come on, Brian, just one name. Just one single name. You are the guy who wants Kelly out. You've got to have someone in mind.
BTW, as the screen name suggests, I graduated from ND in 1978.

One would think that an alum, as Howard Hall claims to be, would know that.

Put on your grandpa glasses and read my comment slowly. I didn't say BK has a wow factor, I said there is no realistic name out there that has a wow factor. You must have gone dreary eyed and completely fell asleep over the keyboard and missed my brilliant comments on the subject.

This is not a flame at all. Just curious what everyone here thinks. Seems like he has some momentum coming off a bowl win over LSU, but he just doesn't seem to be one of those "it" coaches. Just wanted to see what the opinion of him is here. Thanks!

Kelly seriously was somewhat responsible for a student managers death and ND looked away.
Maybe because Weis was such a blowhard and loser ND thought he was great.
Who knows
Guy should be at a DIII program.

Of course he is the right guy. But, this is year 6 for coach Kelly and to expect 4 more years is expecting a little much. We will be lucky if he stays another 2 years. Anything after that is really gravy. He has to be burning out on the additional hurdles that come with coaching ND for 8 years is like 16 years in a normal coaching job.

So, Jack better have some names drawn up. I bet he is watching coach Strong. That would be my one name. But Jack S would not be doing his job if he was not starting to look for a post Kelly ND. If I remember, we started hearing Brian Kelly's name with about 2 years before Weis left. Again, I think Kelly is the right guy for now and he is doing a great job, but his coaching tenure is past the middle point for sure. Once you know you need to make a hire in 2 years, you start to prepare your list.

I am so tired of this McCarthyism tactic. If someone disagrees with you point of view or does not like Kelly, they are automatically branded as "not being a Notre Dame fan". Why not brand them a communist as well. Idiot.
Why don't you just shut the hell up!

Of course he is the right guy. But, this is year 6 for coach Kelly and to expect 4 more years is expecting a little much. We will be lucky if he stays another 2 years. Anything after that is really gravy. He has to be burning out on the additional hurdles that come with coaching ND for 8 years is like 16 years in a normal coaching job.

So, Jack better have some names drawn up. I bet he is watching coach Strong. That would be my one name. But Jack S would not be doing his job if he was not starting to look for a post Kelly ND. If I remember, we started hearing Brian Kelly's name with about 2 years before Weis left. Again, I think Kelly is the right guy for now and he is doing a great job, but his coaching tenure is past the middle point for sure. Once you know you need to make a hire in 2 years, you start to prepare your list.
any AD worth his salt has a list prepared at ALL times.

I don't think this whole debate is all that necessary at this point in the Kelly coaching tenure.
This is definately the homestretch, let's see what he has left. We will all find out!

I am looking forward to a very exciting offense in '15. There is firepower wide, at TE, in the backfield, at QB and up front a group of 1st day draft choices! If the D gets 3 maybe 4 stops a game - ND will have shots in every game!

I don't think this whole debate is all that necessary at this point in the Kelly coaching tenure.
This is definately the homestretch, let's see what he has left. We will all find out!

I am looking forward to a very exciting offense in '15. There is firepower wide, at TE, in the backfield, at QB and up front a group of 1st day draft choices! If the D gets 3 maybe 4 stops a game - ND will have shots in every game!
while I agree that the offense should be very explosive I doubt that other than Ronnie Stanley it's highly unlikely that anyone else up front will go day one. (1st round).

^^

ok, have you guys considered debating the issue in a non personal way; stating the reasons for your opinions without the inflamatory adjectives or opposing point of view insults?

Posters might be interested in a well stated premise for your opinions. Listen to each others points and reply TO the point.

A lot better than bickering!

I usually don't get involved with this BS, but I'll bite this time. I'm growing tired of the "is (enter current coaches name here) the guy" threads.

Here's the thing. What the program needs more than anything right now is continuity. The carousel of coaches needs to stop and some semblance of consistency needs to be there. Not many kids will sign on the dotted line if they have no idea who will be coaching them from year to year. The Notre Dame brand is not what it used to be. You can only ride the name so far.

Kelly has done a nice job. Its been a long time since I was excited about football season to get here. The last few years have been fun, anticipating a potentionally great season. Injuries, suspensions, upsets are all part of football. It happens to them all.

People seem to forget that not that long ago, ND was playing in the NC game. A game that I argue ND earned, but was way out of their league. But Kelly and staff took a team that was good and made them play great. Last year should have been great, but injuries and a couple ill timed plays doomed that squad. It happens.

This year, appears to be the makings of a great year. Lets see what happens. All the pieces are in place and the schedule is more than doable.

Reactions: echowaker
What people don't forget is immediately after the BCS embarrassment, BK took off for parts unknown which included a meeting with the Eagles.....and not the band. This is a two way street here. You want fans devoted, then quick throwing out pleasantries for an NFL position. You know that if this season is a successful one, then BK in the NFL will once again be all the rumor and it will take him forever to confirm or deny. If this season is successful and he wants to go, then do us all a favor and go. Otherwise, make a public long term commitment and show recruits and other programs that this ND program is rock solid. That will be one less thing for other recruiters to throw at these young athletes.

This is not a flame at all. Just curious what everyone here thinks. Seems like he has some momentum coming off a bowl win over LSU, but he just doesn't seem to be one of those "it" coaches. Just wanted to see what the opinion of him is here. Thanks!
Yes! Brian Kelly is the right man for the job at ND.

Fake fans and trolls abound.

Hey the coach isn't our guy. Lets just forget the top tier recruiting, the national title game, the undefeated season, oh and he is also the second winningest coach in division 1.

This board is silly with dumbasses. Sometime I wonder if rivals trolls the board to spur activity on their free boards. Some of this stuff is so asinine it has to be someone that is either clueless or has an agenda. Either way a few new names of fake fans to ignore.

Coach Kelly will never be the right guy for some people. I remember Parseghian, Devine, and Holtz wasn't the right guy in some circles of the ND fan base. The point is, he is our coach and will be until he retires, leaves, or falls out of favor with the higher powers at ND. Good luck Coach.

Exactly. I actually think Coach Kelly is one of the brightest minds in college football today. Notre Dame is in Great hands. Jack Swarbrick loves him!

Reactions: Ara64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT