ADVERTISEMENT

Is Brian Kelly the right guy?

PharmD Blue

Go Irish
Mar 25, 2008
This is not a flame at all. Just curious what everyone here thinks. Seems like he has some momentum coming off a bowl win over LSU, but he just doesn't seem to be one of those "it" coaches. Just wanted to see what the opinion of him is here. Thanks!

My opinion of Brian Kelly is very high. He took a Cincinatti team to a BCS game with a 12 and 0 record with little depth.
After only 3 years he again took a Notre Dame team with some depth problems to a 12 and 0 regular season record and a National Championship game. Not bad---he won all the close games.

Last year we had a ton of injuries but still showed some promise in a close game against Florida State and a win over LSU IN WHICH WE DOMINATED THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE and beat a LSU team that should have beat Alabama.

This year we have 20 starters coming back with a lot of speed and athleticism and swagger.

This is finally the year when Coach Kelly can prove he is a top coach and bring ND a National Championship.

14 and 0 baby ! This is not that tough of a schedule like many say. It is not easy but if we are as good as I think we are we will dominate in most games.

Go Irish !!
Beat Texas !! One game at a time like 2012 ! But we have the depth to close out this year !

Jaylon Smith, Cole Luke, Will Fuller, K Russell. Jaron Jones, T. Folston, the whole Oline, The depth at dline, Nyles Morgan, Joe Schmidt, Greg Bryant, Amie Carlysle, Durham Smth, Sheldon Day, all the tight ends!, Malik Zaire. MAX REDFIELD, ElijahShumate, Tori Hunter, Jerret Grace, Ishaq Williams might be a go, Brandon Wimbush, CJ Prosise !!! Corey Robinson, Tyler luatuah !
and many others !! Andrew Trumbetti, Romeo Okwara ! Quenton Nelson !!

These guys have swagger and have been through hell and back ! This is going to be a great team!@!

These guys have been to hell and back? How so? Some of last year was self inflicted with suspensions and early departures. Some were injuries. Some was bad play on the field. Again, self inflicted. Three things can be taken away from 2014. Don't cheat in school, don't get injured, don't turn the ball over. If the Irish follows these simple rules, they might get ten wins.

I hope he is the right guy. Time will tell. Coaching at ND is very difficult considering all academic restrictions. Not to mention dealing with 18 to 22 year olds who aren't always making great decisions. So far he is the only coach since Holtz to take them to a national championship game. Regardless of what fans think, he should get props for that.

I'm not a huge fan of BK but I am a supporter of BK. I think he "gets" Notre Dame. Not many coaches do. He is willing to take on the work needed to make this program successful. ND is in the conversation. ND has played for a title. ND almost won a Heisman (shout out to CW for that).

20 starters coming back, speed, athleticism, swagger....don't forget immeasurable, blind chutzpah of some fans (not all though). When they lose 2 of there first 4 games and end up 8-4 then what? Is this guy the coach of the ages? The only coach in America capable of leading this team to marginal victories? At some point people have to say good, you took it as far as you could. Thanks, next man in.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
20 starters coming back, speed, athleticism, swagger....don't forget immeasurable, blind chutzpah of some fans (not all though). When they lose 2 of there first 4 games and end up 8-4 then what? Is this guy the coach of the ages? The only coach in America capable of leading this team to marginal victories? At some point people have to say good, you took it as far as you could. Thanks, next man in.

Still waiting for you to provide us with your thoughts concerning who should be the next coach at ND.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Still waiting for you to provide us with your thoughts concerning who should be the next coach at ND.

NOT MY JOB. So you are saying there is no other football coach in all of the 320 million people in this country that is capable of coaching this team? You're nuts. Swarbrick, if he is a good administrator, knows right now 4 to 8 people who might be approached and may be interested. All coaches have agents. These agents talk to all the colleges and pro GM's. That's their job. The industry knows who might be available and who might be interested. That's the reality of this profession.

NOT MY JOB. So you are saying there is no other football coach in all of the 320 million people in this country that is capable of coaching this team? You're nuts. Swarbrick, if he is a good administrator, knows right now 4 to 8 people who might be approached and may be interested. All coaches have agents. These agents talk to all the colleges and pro GM's. That's their job. The industry knows who might be available and who might be interested. That's the reality of this profession.

Ridiculous. You can't suggest getting rid of someone unless you can suggest someone to replace him. You are just a malcontent who likes to gripe, but have no ideas of your own. I suggest that you STFU.

Ridiculous. You can't suggest getting rid of someone unless you can suggest someone to replace him. You are just a malcontent who likes to gripe, but have no ideas of your own. I suggest that you STFU.

Get over yourselves. Not a malcontent, just an alumnus who is fed up with a mediocre prepared team week in an week out and fed up with the blind, no accountability approach that you and others have to evaluating a below average coaching performance. And don't try and compare him to the previous coaches. Just because the others were incompetent or failed at making this work doesn't mean there isn't an answer. All you people are saying is Kelly is the tallest midget in the circus. Big whoop.

Get over yourselves. Not a malcontent, just an alumnus who is fed up with a mediocre prepared team week in an week out and fed up with the blind, no accountability approach that you and others have to evaluating a below average coaching performance. And don't try and compare him to the previous coaches. Just because the others were incompetent or failed at making this work doesn't mean there isn't an answer. All you people are saying is Kelly is the tallest midget in the circus. Big whoop.

By all indications, Swarbrick isn't dissatisfied with Kelly. You are. You are apparently unable to come up with a single name of anyone you want to have as HC at ND. As such, I can only surmise that contining on with what we have, i.e., Kelly on the sidelines, is better than what you recommend, i.e., nobody on the sidelines.
You are the one saying Kelly is "the tallest midget on the sidelines." OK, who is a taller midget than Kelly?
When are you going to realize that it's not enough to criticize but that you also need to have a positive suggestion for change?

By all indications, Swarbrick isn't dissatisfied with Kelly. You are. You are apparently unable to come up with a single name of anyone you want to have as HC at ND. As such, I can only surmise that contining on with what we have, i.e., Kelly on the sidelines, is better than what you recommend, i.e., nobody on the sidelines.
You are the one saying Kelly is "the tallest midget on the sidelines." OK, who is a taller midget than Kelly?
When are you going to realize that it's not enough to criticize but that you also need to have a positive suggestion for change?

"When are you going to realize that it's not enough to criticize but that you also need to have a positive suggestion for change?"

No I don't ! What rule says that? You making more stuff up. That's what you want? Terrific, amuse yourself. First, I don't value your opinion and second if you're disturbed, I must be right. You can yell and whine all you want about the criticism, but the product in front of everyone to see, - is there weekend and week out. And, quite the contrary, many more people than you think, feel the same way. It just approaches the point of - oh well - let's just support the school and team...and why bother arguing / discussing the obvious with people blinded by fantasy.

it would take > 6 losses to even put a "firing" in the discussion; 8-4 is a "good year" now; fans have been 'conditioned'.

"When are you going to realize that it's not enough to criticize but that you also need to have a positive suggestion for change?"

No I don't ! What rule says that? You making more stuff up. That's what you want? Terrific, amuse yourself. First, I don't value your opinion and second if you're disturbed, I must be right. You can yell and whine all you want about the criticism, but the product in front of everyone to see, - is there weekend and week out. And, quite the contrary, many more people than you think, feel the same way. It just approaches the point of - oh well - let's just support the school and team...and why bother arguing / discussing the obvious with people blinded by fantasy.

Yup. Let's get rid of Kelly and replace him with no one. Great idea. Typical of the inane posts for which you are famous.
If anyone is blinded, it is you. You are so blinded by your hatred of Kelly that you want him gone, even though you can't recommend a single person to replace him.
One more time---who do you want to replace Kelly?

These guys have been to hell and back? How so? Some of last year was self inflicted with suspensions and early departures. Some were injuries. Some was bad play on the field. Again, self inflicted. Three things can be taken away from 2014. Don't cheat in school, don't get injured, don't turn the ball over. If the Irish follows these simple rules, they might get ten wins.

And Kelly also needs to stop "self-inflicting" with his terrible calls/game management. Going for it on 4 & 2 against FSU at our own 48 yard line cost us that game. NW debacle - no details needed. Tulsa - idiotic. I can go on and on.

And Kelly also needs to stop "self-inflicting" with his terrible calls/game management. Going for it on 4 & 2 against FSU at our own 48 yard line cost us that game. NW debacle - no details needed. Tulsa - idiotic. I can go on and on.

No, that is not what cost us the FSU game.

Yup. Let's get rid of Kelly and replace him with no one. Great idea. Typical of the inane posts for which you are famous.
If anyone is blinded, it is you. You are so blinded by your hatred of Kelly that you want him gone, even though you can't recommend a single person to replace him.
One more time---who do you want to replace Kelly?

Howard Hall is not an ND fan. For some time I've suspected that he's our old friend Brian Davidson trolling the board yet again.

Don't agree that 8-4 year after year after year is acceptable to ND fans who have become conditioned to this. I do think 8-4 is acceptable to most ND fans and the administration if this is our low point every three or four years while being 10 plus win team in between and in the NC discussion. Agree that Kelly gets ND and has put in the work to rebuild the program. Remains to be seen if he can consistently win 10 plus games and recruit elite defensive talent on a regular basis.

3360b69.jpg

This year should tell us a lot ? Last year we had the excuse of injuries ! I never thought that Kelly was the answer. However, He has recruited well; This is his team with his RKG,s , so I ask myself : " If not now, When ?
If my fellow ND fans will be happy with another 8 - 4 season then they can argue that Kelly is
a great coach and find the usual excuses !
Speaking for myself, I will not be happy unless we are a legit top ten team!

This year should tell us a lot ? Last year we had the excuse of injuries ! I never thought that Kelly was the answer. However, He has recruited well; This is his team with his RKG,s , so I ask myself : " If not now, When ?
If my fellow ND fans will be happy with another 8 - 4 season then they can argue that Kelly is
a great coach and find the usual excuses !
Speaking for myself, I will not be happy unless we are a legit top ten team!

This 78 person needs to be banned. Along with all his other screen names. Howard just owned this Caitlyn Jenner wannabe and he still thinks he owns this board.

It's laughable that Kelly is the only guy for the job. This current coach has been at the helm for more arrests, academic scandals, and deaths than probably all the former head coaches combined. And he still loses five games a year. If we have to watch this team sell its soul to the devil to have a "good" coach, at least win some damn games. Embarrassing.

This 78 person needs to be banned. Along with all his other screen names. Howard just owned this Caitlyn Jenner wannabe and he still thinks he owns this board.

It's laughable that Kelly is the only guy for the job. This current coach has been at the helm for more arrests, academic scandals, and deaths than probably all the former head coaches combined. And he still loses five games a year. If we have to watch this team sell its soul to the devil to have a "good" coach, at least win some damn games. Embarrassing.

Reading is obviously not your strong suit. In fact, most of us here are still trying to figure out what your strong suit is. You seem to have no talent other than criticizing anything and everything about Notre Dame.
If you would have read the thread, I never said that Kelly is the only guy for the job. Rather, I challenged the other poster, who seems to be you under another screen name, to name someone better. He failed to offer up even a single name.

I don’t like Kelly and have no idea who to replace him with. Now what ?

Just sit back and let N78 yell at you for your inability to come up with a name. What good would a name be? I have no idea but dangit you better have a coach in mind. Even though no fans will be allowed input. Kelly shall coach here FOREVERRRRRR. Hopefully in that long amount of time he doesn't have practice outside in 60 mph winds.

when Weis was HC; that same mantra was echoed! it will likely be repeated re Kelly's successor.

Just sit back and let N78 yell at you for your inability to come up with a name. What good would a name be? I have no idea but dangit you better have a coach in mind. Even though no fans will be allowed input. Kelly shall coach here FOREVERRRRRR. Hopefully in that long amount of time he doesn't have practice outside in 60 mph winds.

Like I told you over the weekend, most of us want a coach on the ND sidelines. You apparently prefer having a coaching vacancy. Come on---throw a name out there. But you won't because you are a coward, and you know that any name you throw out there will not be an upgrade over Kelly.

This is not a flame at all. Just curious what everyone here thinks. Seems like he has some momentum coming off a bowl win over LSU, but he just doesn't seem to be one of those "it" coaches. Just wanted to see what the opinion of him is here. Thanks!
No tears shed if he leaves. He's not up there with Ara & Lou.

Reading is obviously not your strong suit. In fact, most of us here are still trying to figure out what your strong suit is. You seem to have no talent other than criticizing anything and everything about Notre Dame.
If you would have read the thread, I never said that Kelly is the only guy for the job. Rather, I challenged the other poster, who seems to be you under another screen name, to name someone better. He failed to offer up even a single name.

No, as Jersey guys would say, me is me. Have no idea who these others are. They must be really intelligent or know football better than you, which is a low bar. OMG haven't even offered up a single name to the almighty NDSMC. Tell us, what year did you graduate from SMC? Can't believe you got into ND.

No, as Jersey guys would say, me is me. Have no idea who these others are. They must be really intelligent or know football better than you, which is a low bar. OMG haven't even offered up a single name to the almighty NDSMC. Tell us, what year did you graduate from SMC? Can't believe you got into ND.

Come on, Brian, just one name. Just one single name. You are the guy who wants Kelly out. You've got to have someone in mind.
BTW, as the screen name suggests, I graduated from ND in 1978.

simple question ? who would you prefer that is a reasonable option ?

not a notre dame fan.

Reactions: Classic Irish
That's not what lost the game at FSU. It was the penalty in the end zone which should have never been called.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT