ADVERTISEMENT

I was impressed with Angeli....

Tru2Irish

ND Expert
Aug 2, 2013
he looked confident and poised. Kept the ball moving upfield. I cannot figure why Hartman is making bad passes and kind of struggling. Angeli moved out of the pocket well and made great passes. If he can play in the future like that over an extended period, ND will have a better version of Book. As I think Angeli can make better long passes.4 ITs,1FBR for a td. D is bringing it!!!! SPECIAL TEAMS ARE BRINGING IT. C'mon Hartman get your focus back and join in .

he looked confident and poised. Kept the ball moving upfield. I cannot figure why Hartman is making bad passes and kind of struggling. Angeli moved out of the pocket well and made great passes. If he can play in the future like that over an extended period, ND will have a better version of Book. As I think Angeli can make better long passes.4 ITs,1FBR for a td. D is bringing it!!!! SPECIAL TEAMS ARE BRINGING IT. C'mon Hartman get your focus back and join in .
I think Flores owns two of Hartman’s interceptions. Thought Sam threw a very good pass to Flores down the sideline on the interception by Louisville, and Flores showed his inexperience and lack of toughness on that play. The defender simply was stronger and made an aggressive play on the ball and Flores was passive as hell. Today’s interception on the long passing play to Flores was odd. The defender appeared to lightly grab Flores arm and Flores ends up breaking off the route and turned around. It looked to me like he was overreacting and trying to get a PI interference instead of going after the ball. Hartman’s second Interception Was tipped, but he threw into triple coverage nonetheless.

Angeli and Minchey should get some meaningful game Experience going forward, but the Focus has to be on finishing this year strong and getting a quality bowl game. Recruitment momentum and commitment to seniors and fans demands nothing less.

he's getting about 25% of practice reps for the better part of two seasons he should be pretty good at this point in limited action.

this has not much impact on the spring battle.

Just another mediocre qb that we always have plenty of. Including hartman

• Sad
Reactions: Tru2Irish
I think Flores owns two of Hartman’s interceptions. Thought Sam threw a very good pass to Flores down the sideline on the interception by Louisville, and Flores showed his inexperience and lack of toughness on that play. The defender simply was stronger and made an aggressive play on the ball and Flores was passive as hell. Today’s interception on the long passing play to Flores was odd. The defender appeared to lightly grab Flores arm and Flores ends up breaking off the route and turned around. It looked to me like he was overreacting and trying to get a PI interference instead of going after the ball. Hartman’s second Interception Was tipped, but he threw into triple coverage nonetheless.

Angeli and Minchey should get some meaningful game Experience going forward, but the Focus has to be on finishing this year strong and getting a quality bowl game. Recruitment momentum and commitment to seniors and fans demands nothing less.

Reading g through the thread it makes me wonder about an article i seen yesterday saying the Irish were again going to look for a QB in the portal.
How does this effect development/confidence building/recruiting at that position?

He definitely looked good, but there’s no pressure when you’re up 50 points. Nonetheless, he couldn’t have done anymore than he did with what was given to him. The TD pass today was a beautiful throw mechanics wise.

Reading g through the thread it makes me wonder about an article i seen yesterday saying the Irish were again going to look for a QB in the portal.
How does this effect development/confidence building/recruiting at that position?

Until we can land a “can’t miss” QB prospect, we should look to the portal every year. CJ Carr might change that, but who knows for sure. It’s a crap shoot.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I think Steve will transfer but wish him the best. Good kid but don't think he has the talent aka Pyne to be a starting quarterback at Notre Dame.

DIP, I read where Freeman said everything was on the table regarding QB next year, and the story became that he is planning to go to the portal. I’ve expressed before that I think we have a quality QB room with Angeli and Minchey and Carr, but College football has changed with open transfers and NIL deals, and QB transfers are becoming commonplace. I think HS QBs see and understand this, and it’s so widespread, I don’t think it hurts ND if they go the portal route again, as long as it’s perceived as a significant upgrade. Personally, I would prefer we establish the reputation for developing this position and sending QBs to the league such that elite high school QBs want to come. We’re improving our recruitment, and I think we might have found a position coach who will succeeed in developing our QBs, but we’re not there yet.

I think Steve will transfer but wish him the best. Good kid but don't think he has the talent aka Pyne to be a starting quarterback at Notre Dame.
He's more talented than Pyne, who's about 5'10. I'd like to see Angeli and Minchey battle for the job next year, along with Carr and a possible transfer, if they take one.

That TD pass to Flanagan was damn impressive. The kid looked like he belonged.
I said the same, rolling left he throws across his body and delivers it perfectly. That was a really nice play by him.

He played in mop up but I like they let him make some throws instead of just handing the damn thing off repeatedly. Those reps can do wonders for a guy’s confidence IMO.

He's more talented than Pyne, who's about 5'10. I'd like to see Angeli and Minchey battle for the job next year, along with Carr and a possible transfer, if they take one.
When you watch Bo Nix and Michael Penix play for Oregon and Washington, both portal grad transfers, I hope Marcus Freeman pursues a portal grad transfer at QB.

When you watch Bo Nix and Michael Penix play for Oregon and Washington, both portal grad transfers, I hope Marcus Freeman pursues a portal grad transfer at QB.
How about Phil Jurkovek Brennan Armstrong Payton Thorne Jeff Sims Cade McNamara

If there's a really good one, you try to get him, if not you pass

Reactions: bizzybecknd
How about Phil Jurkovek Brennan Armstrong Payton Thorne Jeff Sims Cade McNamara

If there's a really good one, you try to get him, if not you pass
And that is what Bo Nix and Michael Penix are...."really good." Another skill set of Sam Hartman is an upgrade over Steve Angeli, Kenny Minchey, and CJ Carr.

And that is what Bo Nix and Michael Penix are...."really good." Another skill set of Sam Hartman is an upgrade over Steve Angeli, Kenny Minchey, and CJ Carr.
Maybe, maybe not. Who out there is SamHartman? Not Rising

We could win that game with our guys or a really good transfer.
"Our guys...." Win in College Station starting Steve Angeli, Kenny Minchey, or CJ Carr at QB?

What have you seen from the backup QB play that tells you that?

At TAM is not 2-5 Pitt up by 40.

You really want to get 4 in the room. They can take a transfer for depth to get the numbers right. Go into spring with 4 if angeli wins cool. Minchey or transfer is backup. If minchey wins and angeli transfers you aren't left depending on a true freshman as the backup

You really want to get 4 in the room. They can take a transfer for depth to get the numbers right. Go into spring with 4 if angeli wins cool. Minchey or transfer is backup. If minchey wins and angeli transfers you aren't left depending on a true freshman as the backup
Win the game.

And if some posters believe Angeli, Minchey, or Carr can win at TAM in front of 110,000, great.

I have serious doubts.

"Our guys...." Win in College Station starting Steve Angeli, Kenny Minchey, or CJ Carr at QB?

What have you seen from the backup QB play that tells you that?

At TAM is not 2-5 Pitt up by 40.
I know that Minchey and Carr are very talented. I know Angeli has looked good when he's played.

There's a lot of great qbs out there who didn't start as freshman. Doesn't mean they can't play

If there is someone who is a significant upgrade I'll take a transfer in a second. But if not I think we can win with our guys too

I know that Minchey and Carr are very talented. I know Angeli has looked good when he's played.

There's a lot of great qbs out there who didn't start as freshman. Doesn't mean they can't play

If there is someone who is a significant upgrade I'll take a transfer in a second. But if not I think we can win with our guys too
So you believe Steve Angeli or Kenny Minchey can win their first ever start at TAM in front of 110,000 people.

Good for you. I have doubts.

So you believe Steve Angeli or Kenny Minchey can win their first ever start at TAM in front of 110,000 people.

Good for you. I have doubts.
I have doubts yeah. But can they win there, yeah they could

They lost 3 games at home in 2022. One was to App state. How is their QB?

They lost a home game this year

That's 4 home losses in their 11 games over 2 years.

They aren't Georgia

Bring in another portal QB and lose two QB’s is almost a certainty. Who is MF going to get that is a sure bet. Riley will probably go where Elmo goes or stay at Duke with no competition. The kid from Tulane. Why would he leave? It better be a sure thing before risking losing two QB’s . I still think CJ is QB of the future, but not right away. As far as A&M is concerned a lot of their talent has transferred out . Who does these schedules? How about a warm up.

Bring in another portal QB and lose two QB’s is almost a certainty. Who is MF going to get that is a sure bet. Riley will probably go where Elmo goes or stay at Duke with no competition. The kid from Tulane. Why would he leave? It better be a sure thing before risking losing two QB’s . I still think CJ is QB of the future, but not right away. As far as A&M is concerned a lot of their talent has transferred out . Who does these schedules? How about a warm up.
Win the fuc.... game.

I have doubts yeah. But can they win there, yeah they could

They lost 3 games at home in 2022. One was to App state. How is their QB?

They lost a home game this year

That's 4 home losses in their 11 games over 2 years.

They aren't Georgia
What does 2022, and 4 home losses in recent seasons, have to do with game 1 in 2024?

Not starting any rumors but the kid for Stanford Daniels looked really good at QB. Also watching Texas last week Donovan Smith of Houston looked good for a bad team.

It was encouraging but I do feel the level of competition magnified his ability

• Sad
What does 2022, and 4 home losses in recent seasons, have to do with game 1 in 2024?
Because you are acting like we can't win there with our QBs

They lost to App state

Stop making it seem like they are Georgia

It's going to be a tough game but it's definitely winnable

Reactions: IrishMike409
Because you are acting like we can't win there with our QBs

They lost to App state

Stop making it seem like they are Georgia

It's going to be a tough game but it's definitely winnable
If you believe Notre Dame will win at TAM starting Steve Angeli, Kenny Minchey, or CJ Carr at QB, great. I have seen nothing from any of those three to agree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT