ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread ND vs FSU

I think fatigue definitely played a major factor in the defense's performance from late in the third quarter on. All of a sudden our guys looked a step slow. I still don't get the 3-man front, but even the worst defensive coach in the world knows more about defense than me.

Lots of complaining about the offensive play calling. I thought it was pretty good with a couple of nice draw plays and that beautiful screen pass. Our offensive line was not very good, but we are replacing four starters and had at least one starter out in the second half. We were also playing against a defense that was a lot better than the one we faced a year ago.

Assuming we don't get any crushing injuries, this team will improve and have a decent season, but please let's not talk about ND has being a legitimate contender for a national championship.

Great win on the road! We definitely made a lot of mistakes, but got a tough win. Great kick by Doerer!

Were all a bunch of ND Fans...... Cause 99% of you thought we lost this one with me.....

Somewhere chuck norvell is going, "i shoulda let that ****er kick"

I think fatigue definitely played a major factor in the defense's performance from late in the third quarter on. All of a sudden our guys looked a step slow. I still don't get the 3-man front, but even the worst defensive coach in the world knows more about defense than me.

Lots of complaining about the offensive play calling. I thought it was pretty good with a couple of nice draw plays and that beautiful screen pass. Our offensive line was not very good, but we are replacing four starters and had at least one starter out in the second half. We were also playing against a defense that was a lot better than the one we faced a year ago.

Assuming we don't get any crushing injuries, this team will improve and have a decent season, but please let's not talk about ND has being a legitimate contender for a national championship.
Agree with everything you said. What this weekend taught/reminded me of is that the first game can be one of, if not the toughest. There were so many mental errors especially early on.

I hate the 3 man front. Especially when they continued to have 2 high safeties. 3 man could be good if you do a "3-5" look, but that's not what they did.

I trust they will get better. We all know no conclusions can be made after 1 game.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
WHY would you change your defense when it worked well with the exception of 2 plays
I can't for the life of me understand going with 3 down linemen, your daring them to run and they are running all over us. Just don't understand that at all

Eh. Pump the breaks. The "boys" missed on tons of tackles and fsu was rarely brought down at first contact. The cornerbacks were outplayed by a bad receiving core.

None of that is on the DC.
Scheme yes, were not a 3 man front squad...im sorry were not..... Were not built for that... you're taking a good athlete off the line and putting an extra linebacker/db on the field...

Look our d-line is pur ****ing strong point in recruiting and the last couple years.... Why take one of those guys off the field... When milton came in, i get it.......he can throw, that other cat im 4 lads down and go get him ... We lose this game if milton plays 4 quarters

Reactions: bizzybecknd

65 yards rushing on 35 carries ?

And you think they’re a contender ?

Not beyond my expectations. I said Jack Coan was going to have a Joe Burrows type year and win the Heisman. And today he is a frontrunner in my book already.
Everything I have said about Captain Jack is coming to fruition.
If we had Jack Coan last year we would have beat Bama (or at least make it closer)
Burrows had elite wr and a great oc........ we have oc in training hopefully he proves me wrong.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Scheme yes, were not a 3 man front squad...im sorry were not..... Were not built for that... you're taking a good athlete off the line and putting an extra linebacker/db on the field...
Didn't say anything about the three man front. We recruit for 4 dl. We should play them.

Take that decision away the defense tackled poorly and the cornerbacks got beat regularly.

Even in the first half the cornerbacks played awful, against not great wrs and a qb that doesn't throw much. Play like that against a top QB and we'd get pieced up

Reactions: Scots-Irishballa
Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Didn't say anything about the three man front. We recruit for 4 dl. We should play them.

Take that decision away the defense tackled poorly and the cornerbacks got beat regularly.

Even in the first half the cornerbacks played awful, against not great wrs and a qb that doesn't throw much. Play like that against a top QB and we'd get pieced up
I got you I was more less agreeing with you

Look our boys on defense played hard.... But not under control, looked like a bunch of young Harrison smiths out there.....

I watched it. He definitely said executed but he said the whole team which means him and it was a joke off his “we didn’t execute”. In today’s world of PC, sure he will have to apologize but it was tongue on cheek. It’s a joke. Move on. stupid.

I watched it. He definitely said executed but he said the whole team which means him and it was a joke off his “we didn’t execute”. In today’s world of PC, sure he will have to apologize but it was tongue on cheek. It’s a joke. Move on. stupid.
I thought it was funny.....

65 yards rushing on 35 carries ?

And you think they’re a contender ?
Having 4 new starters on the OL on the road in a hostile environment isn't easy. And we lost Fisher mid-game. But hopefully the line will come together eventually.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I thought that the QB had to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage when throwing out of bounds.

When the snap got past a Milton it didn’t look like his pass went past the LOS

Did it ? Or did the officials miss that one ?

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
I thought that the QB had to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage when throwing out of bounds.

This is basically the old tuck rule. Since he had already started his throwing motion, it’s a pass until he retucks it. In that scenario since he accidentally let go of the ball, it’s an unintentional pass. Similar to if a defensive player had hit his arm while moving forward. In those situations, the grounding criteria are ignored.

I was asking the same question. He was still inside the tackles and the ball I don't think crossed the line of scrimmage

It's either fumble or intentional grounding

It's either fumble or intentional grounding
I'm asking about the play late in the 4th, bad snap 15 yards back, milton picked it up and threw it out of bounds ... while it looked still between the tackles and I dont think it made the line of scrimmage

I'm asking about the play late in the 4th, bad snap 15 yards back, milton picked it up and threw it out of bounds ... while it looked still between the tackles and I dont think it made the line of scrimmage
There was a receiver right there on that one.

I was asking the same question. He was still inside the tackles and the ball I don't think crossed the line of scrimmage
The NCAA rule is silent on the LOS, BUT clear that there has to Bea receiver in the area.

I think the key to that call is whether he’s outside of the tackle box which i think only extends 5 yards from the LOS

There was a receiver right there on that one.
there was not a receiver with at least 5 yards of where the ball went OB.

I think the boundaries of the tackle box saved the day for him.

initially I thought they extended back to the offensive teams EZ, but now I think it’s only 5 yards which doesn’t make any sense at all if you read the rule where the QB is just trying to avoid a loss

there was not a receiver with at least 5 yards of where the ball went OB.

I think the boundaries of the tackle box saved the day for him.

initially I thought they extended back to the offensive teams EZ, but now I think it’s only 5 yards which doesn’t make any sense at all if you read the rule where the QB is just trying to avoid a loss
There was definitely a receiver standing on the sideline “in the area” enough to not be intentional grounding. And the ball does still have to cross the line of scrimmage when outside the tackle box in college.

There was definitely a receiver standing on the sideline “in the area” enough to not be intentional grounding. And the ball does still have to cross the line of scrimmage when outside the tackle box in college.
Look at the play again, the FSU receiver and ND defender aren’t within 7 yards of the point where the ball went OB

When both are by the sideline the ball is far, far beyond OB and the ball was 7 plus yards from them when it crossed the sideline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT