ADVERTISEMENT

G Parker Gone. Wow!

He was a good wr coach before he got here at Psu and WVa. Well respected in the coaching ranks. He was very good coaching TEs here. In 22 and 23. With and without Mayer. He also recruited well here

In his 1 year as OC, he coached a top 10 offense and one that scored 9 more ppg than a TR offense the year prior and higher than any TR offense

Hes a good ball coach. A good recruiter. Troy is a good program. Let's see if he does well
Nick Saban could have hired Gerad Parker as the Alabama OC.

Saban hired Tommy Rees to be the Alabama OC.

Best of luck to Nick Saban, Tommy Rees, and Alabama against Michigan.

I despise Michigan.

Come on man we beat bad teams and against any top team he had no answers. Last year Rees did more with Drew Pyne than Parker did with Sam Hartman.
Rees couldn’t move the ball vs some pathetic competition. Rees was wildly inconsistent. Parker wasn’t perfect, but I’d take him over Rees.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Nick Saban could have hired Gerad Parker as the Alabama OC.

Saban hired Tommy Rees to be the Alabama OC.

Best of luck to Nick Saban, Tommy Rees, and Alabama against Michigan.

I despise Michigan.
I’m with you. I hope Bama pounds them.

Guys, this is unreal.

:D

What is going on with the Irish? So much coaching volatility.

In this case, my guy says: it's a good thing, as I think Parker was in way over his head.

My fear is that Freeman might not easily get a good OC and is learning on the job as well.

Agree. Way too much blame on Parker. He wasn’t great. Wasn’t bad. I think he actually did a better job than Rees. Rees had pathetic games vs bad bad competition.

For me it's complicated. I also thought Tommy had issues...but evidently he's fixing them at Alabama. Maybe it takes being at Alabama to learn and be a proper OC, but he's clearly doing it.

I am not sure Parker has such upside. No top school sought him. But as others have said, let's see what he does at Troy.

Guys, this is unreal.

In this case, my guy says: it's a good thing, as I think Parker was in way over his head.

My fear is that Freeman might not easily get a good OC and is learning on the job as well.
"My fear is that Freeman might not easily get a good OC and is learning on the job as well"

Well -- Freeman is learning on the job -- that was a given when he got hired. That said, he has had his good and ugly moments, as would be expected. What I like is he is not afraid to seek excellence.

There are a lot of good OC's out there who I believe would love the opportunity.

As far as coaching volatility -- it happens every year -- heck, even Saban loses coaches

Reactions: banmate6
Guys, this is unreal.

I think he might lean on Fickell for advice

"My fear is that Freeman might not easily get a good OC and is learning on the job as well"

Well -- Freeman is learning on the job -- that was a given when he got hired. That said, he has had his good and ugly moments, as would be expected. What I like is he is not afraid to seek excellence.

There are a lot of good OC's out there who I believe would love the opportunity.

As far as coaching volatility -- it happens every year -- heck, even Saban loses coaches
Agree with this. Would add that one of the critical jobs of a HC is selecting and recruiting and hiring a really good staff. So far, I give Freeman pretty high marks in this area. Parker’s hire was a desperate move necessitated by Jack and the Administration not supporting Freeman’s initial hire for financial reasons. I expect Freeman will be aggressive and the Administrationwill support him in making an excellent hire this time.

For me it's complicated. I also thought Tommy had issues...but evidently he's fixing them at Alabama. Maybe it takes being at Alabama to learn and be a proper OC, but he's clearly doing it.

I am not sure Parker has such upside. No top school sought him. But as others have said, let's see what he does at Troy.
He has a ton of talent at Bama

He has a ton of talent at Bama

Agree. It's that famous: all of the above...underscoring what ND faces in the college football landscape.

I haven't done comparisons, but I bet Alabama has a more stable coaching situation with regards to good coaches staying longer than ND. Not least because they can get the best players in depth.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Parker goes from being pushed into an OC position he did not want to head coach at a decent school. Somebody is living right. I find it hard to believe ND does not pay it’s assistants enough to be out bid like that or maybe it was a force out. I wish him the best of luck

You’re trying to compare the two? Parker was a first time OC who ended up putting up more points against better competition.
Bama could beat most of teams they play with me at OC. They totally lucked out against Auburn with a late turnover.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT